UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
You have a problem with the Saab 9-3. The feed from the head unit to the amps is by fibre optic cable and not wire. It's an unusual system and there's no really easy way around it. The front and rear speakers in the 4 speaker system are wired directly from the head unit (no optics). If you had the amps, it's only the audio links from the head units to the amps that are fibre optic. The power is wired and the speakers are wired to the amps.

The full Saab system in the early 9-3SS (2003-2006) would have 13 speakers and two amps. One amp under the passenger seat and the bass amp in the boot. The boot amp just powers the two 6 x 9 speakers in the rear shelf.

You might be lucky and find an amp that can use the four speaker outlets form the head unit. I don't know anyone who has done that.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:50 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2004 9-3 Aero SS Auto
I am beginning to see why Griffin Dai is tearing his hair out with his install. I'm going to go sit in the corner and cry...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:34 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Black 9-3.... Aero Convertible
sgould, that's what I did bit via speaker to line level adaptors for left and right from the rear side speaker wires.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:36 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Good! That looks like a solution! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:24 pm 
Active user

Ste wrote:
sgould, that's what I did bit via speaker to line level adaptors for left and right from the rear side speaker wires.

Did you fit an aftermarket headunit or keep the stock one? Looks like you have done exactly what I want to in terms of wiring an amp with some aftermarket speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Kept stock radio - but is 7 speaker type with screen screen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 pm 
Active user

Trying to work out if it would just be easier to fit an aftermarket HU in the space of the cd slot and then wire the various speakers up directly to that via an amp or two. That would then allow me to not bother or worry with any of the fibre optic issues plus I could have a HU with a usb socket to just stick a cheap large thumbdrive in packed with music

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:58 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

You need to keep the existing set up connected to at least one speaker, to provide the indicator clicks and warning sounds.

Existing head unit can feed an AUX in the centre cubby under the armrest. I fitted one

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I chose to keep the stock head unit so that all the other integrated functions work. I have a AUX socket in the armrest cubby. Keeping the look stock is also easier to remove the extra stuff when it comes time to sell the car too. The optic system doesn't need to be disturbed if you do as I did.

It wasn't difficult, just a bit time consuming to get everything in place and set up. If you looked in my car (apart from the boot - as this is where the amp is located) it all looks completely 'normal', with nothing different, except for the amp ON switch on the dash. This is the look I was after. All the wires are hidden too. The sound is transformed when the amp is switched on.

The rear 'line level' into the amp is 'jumped' to both the rear 6x9 and the respective front door speaker, so the fader on the radio effectively controls the front dash speaker and all the other speakers - front to rear. I 'may' change the input signal for the door speakers to be driven off the dash speaker, but I'm not sure yet as I rarely 'fade' anyway.

The amp is a four channel type, so I could do it if I want to. An RCA 'Y' splitter connects each side line level from the speaker level converter to both the 'front' and 'rear' inputs for that side.

If you need any further info, then don't hesitate to ask me. I may not guarantee an instant response, but I will respond when I can.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 pm 
Active user

I think my main issue is I don't really understand the whole wiring setup so need an idiots guide which I can then read, show to an audio place and get a quote for the work.

So I keep the stock stereo, fit an amp in the boot with speaker to line level adapters between that and the rear shelf speakers.

Can I then do the same as you did by running wires to where AMP1 should be, and connect to the door speaker wires (speakers which would need to be fitted as I have none) via the AMP1 electrical plug? Would it better to have a seperate amp to power the front door and dash speakers or is that overkill? Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Amp1 will only work with the Saab optic links. There is no wired input for audio signals.

If you get an amp with a sub woofer output as well as the normal speakers, you could do more. but in that case I would use the rear Saab speaker feeds into the new amp and the out put from that to feed the existing rear speakers and the sub woofer output to go to the rear 6 x 9s for the bass and forget the front doors. Bass is bass and as long as the sound is in the car it's not that important where it is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:36 pm 
Active user

Got off my backside and did some googling. It all makes a lot more sense to me, seems I confused myself by not knowing which set up I had at first and then it just got worse from there!

Is the door speaker wiring usually in place on cars with the stock 4 speaker set up? I seem to have figured out my shopping list -

Pair of front door speakers
4 channel amp
2 line level adapters
Wiring to fit all the above

So I run some speaker wire from the front door speakers down the sill (along with the amp power cable) to the boot, connect this to one of the line level adapters. Connect the second one to the 6x9's already in the rear. Both adapters are then connected to the amp. Is that right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:28 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Defo fit front door speakers too. The bass sound is too far in the back if you don't fit them. Fit them and the sound envelopes you.

You also need some 'Y' splitters for the front / rear inputs on your 4 channel amp.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 pm 
Active user

Looks like I am going down the aftermarket headunit route since I don't have the AMP1 so fitting door speakers and hooking them up to the stock unit will be a pita.

So now the shopping list is

Components for the front doors and dash (will sell on the Boston's)
4 channel amp (sourced via this forum)
Headunit with usb and aux in
Wiring to fit all the above

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:13 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T
How can I confirm which audio set up I have in my 03 9-3 Aero? It has speakers in the door, centre dash and in the rear shelf. The head unit is the CD player without the large screen or disc changer.

Pugz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Does it have the door and centre dash speakers? Or just the grilles with nothing behind. If your dashboard does not have the unit with the 3 inch square green screen, it would have left the factory with 4 speakers. There was a Saab upgrade to 7 speakers. It was very rare, because it was expensive. You might have it, but lift the centre dash grille and see if there's a speaker under it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:53 pm 
Active user

I have read all of the above and am a little unclear as to what I have and what I can do to improve the awful sound quality in my car. I have a very early '06 car so I assume an '05 model, 9-3 Aero Convertible. It has the 3 in square green info screen but not sat nav. It appears to have 3 speakers on the dashtop 2 in the doors and 2 in the rear:

1. Can I do a straightforward swap of all 7 speakers?

2. Which pair would bring the most benefit?

3. How best would i fit sound deadening - around the speakers or on the panel(s) behind?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

You have the same system as mine, which is surprisingly called the '7 speaker system'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:23 am 
Active user

Ste wrote:
You have the same system as mine, which is surprisingly called the '7 speaker system'

Mmm, I gathered. I need your kind of expertise which I don't have. I'm from the 'twist a couple of wires and apply tape' school of car audio and know nothing and understand less.

BTW, do the speaker covers just prize off?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

The rear seat ones do, don't know about the others as i've never removed them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next