UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: saab 9 3 stereo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:35 pm 

Car Model: saab 9 3 1.8t vetor
i have a 2003 saab 9 3 and was wondering if i can upgrade the information system to the sat nav and bluetooth if i bought the bits and retro fitted them the stereo says phone on it but there is no unit in the boot that i can see therefore are the wireing looms different from car to car even though the head units are the same mine is the pre facelift model

Post subject: Re: saab 9 3 stereo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:17 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Welcome! :)

There are two ways of getting a phone to connect to your car. The Saab phone was an expensive option and did have a separate "phone" in the boot. It was standalone and would not connect with your own mobile. By the time it was introduced it was a bit of a white elephant. but it had voice recognition and could be operated by the buttons on the steering wheel. If you have the head unit with the phone option enabled, but no phone kit,it should be "greyed out".

The other way you can connect a phone into your system is to add an aftermarket bluetooth kit which would work with your own phone. I fitted one of these. There's an 18 pin connector behind the side panel of the centre tunnel. Using this with a suitable patch lead made the phone kit a plug and play option. When in use the word "Telephone" appears on the dashtop display. This phone kit needs its own control unit, it won't connect to the steering wheel phone buttons.

There have been a few cars where the installer was unaware of the 18 pin connector and cut into the wiring behind the dashboard. It's risky doing this because the Saab audio system is very non-standard and the audio signal is transmitted by fibre optic cables. You need to know what you are doing. Few people do!!

This is the connector...

Attachment:
DSC02419.jpg
DSC02419.jpg [ 49.28 KiB | Viewed 1050 times ]

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

Last edited by sgould on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:26 pm 

many thanks for ur reply can u let me know what make of aftermarket bluetooth kit you used am most interested because the saab audio unit is a pain in the ass and is it easy t fix many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

I used a Parrot CK3100. It's phone only. The patch lead was from www.justcarkits.co.uk They have a lot of SOT leads for a lot of different units.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm 

cheers 4 that is there any way i can fit a aftermarket stereo where my cd player is which has bluetooth built in i have read that its a pain in the butt because of the connections mine is a 2003 pre facelift i think any help appreciated or diagrames please

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:12 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

All you can do really is remove the CD player and fit a single DIN unit. That unit will be the centre of a standalone new audio system.

But you need to keep the existing system active and connected to one speaker, usually the centre dash one. That's so you keep the warning sounds and indicator clicks which are generated in the original stereo units. This will mean disconnecting the existing speaker connections from the head unit. and connecting one to the centre dash speaker. All the other speaker positions will be available to your new system.

The removal of the CD player will need the optic fibre loop to be reconnected.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: E2 & The Old Tart
skirlybob wrote:
cheers 4 that is there any way i can fit a aftermarket stereo where my cd player is which has bluetooth built in i have read that its a pain in the butt because of the connections mine is a 2003 pre facelift i think any help appreciated or diagrames please

What features do you want in an aftermarket unit, though? If it's only Bluetooth music, USB or memory card functionality, as long as you have the AUX input enabled, you can fit a quite cheap adaptor into the AUX line.

If you want more than that, for simplicity, you could mount a head unit in place of the dash-mount CD, and take the line-out to the AUX-in of the standard stereo.

I expect one of the guys on the forum with Tech2 can probably enable the AUX for you if you don't have it already.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:43 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; '71 VW Beetle
CitTone wrote:
skirlybob wrote:

What features do you want in an aftermarket unit, though? If it's only Bluetooth music, USB or memory card functionality, as long as you have the AUX input enabled, you can fit a quite cheap adaptor into the AUX line.

If you want more than that, for simplicity, you could mount a head unit in place of the dash-mount CD, and take the line-out to the AUX-in of the standard stereo.

I expect one of the guys on the forum with Tech2 can probably enable the AUX for you if you don't have it already.
An aux cable would probably be needed as well, usually it wasn't fitted unless it was functional pre 2007.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 (K) VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5