UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 9-5 Speaker sizes?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:44 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: ex 3 x 9-5's
Does anyone know off hand what size speakers are used in the 9-5 - particularly the doors & rear shelf?

I'm fitting a leather interior soon & taking the opportunity to put speakers in the doors (currently nothing in the front doors thanks to the spartanic AS1 stereo).

I'm aware I'll have to get hold of a pair of mounts for the front doors.

All help appreciated :D

Post subject: Re: 9-5 Speaker sizes?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
At least with the AS1 there are no amplifiers etc in line to confuse. You may find it cheaper to get the cage and start from scratch with a modern system.

Try here for speaker sizes: http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml#speakers

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:03 pm 
Coffee Addict

Car Models: MY01 Gaylander
Paddy2bsure wrote:
I'm aware I'll have to get hold of a pair of mounts for the front doors.

Arnt the mounts already in the door? I didnt know the AS1 system didnt include door speakers! How pants is that!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm 
Saab Nut

sgould wrote:
You may find it cheaper to get the cage and start from scratch with a modern system.

Try here for speaker sizes: http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml#speakers

Cheers for that. I will be starting from scratch at some stage regarding the audio, but while I have the door cards off, I might as well put something in there to avoid having to do it again.
johno wrote:
Arnt the mounts already in the door? I didnt know the AS1 system didnt include door speakers! How pants is that!

Strictly 2 speakers in the dash, & two in the rear doors - random or what?! The sound quality is excellent if it's the first time you've ever heard an FM radio... but in the real world it is so shockingly poor :cen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab
Looked on angry kitchen but would still like to know, do 6 X 9 's fit in the rear shelf of a 9-5 Saloon?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:38 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 2003 OG 9-3 Aero Cabriolet
the difference in standard 4 speaker to 6 speaker is phenominal. my mate has the 4 and my estate has the 6 and its like night and day. the standard saab 6 speaker system is very good sounding and probably easy to get in scrappy cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:39 pm 
Saab Nut

nick 95 2ltr LPT LPG wrote:
Looked on angry kitchen but would still like to know, do 6 X 9 's fit in the rear shelf of a 9-5 Saloon?

Thanks

Yes they 100% do. I'll post some pictures of my install tonight!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:27 pm 
Saab Nut

Okay, here goes, how to install some rear shelf speakers!

Step 1: Fold the rear seats flat, and undo the single torx screw holding each headrest in place:

Step 2: You should now be looking at the speaker cover, in particular the retaining stud at the front of it:

Step 3: Working your fingers under the lower edge of the cover, start to gently pull it towards you, which will loosen off the retaining stud. Once the stud is loose, pull the cover slowly but firmly upwards at the front:

Step 4: Once the cover is up at the front, slide it forward away from the shelf, and out it comes to reveal the plastic blanking panel in the speaker opening:

Step 5: Prise the plastic panel up & remove it:

Step 6: Place the new speaker & connected cable on the shelf, and feed the cable into the void below the speaker:

Step 7: Direct the speaker wire towards the front corner of the void, where the rest of the cable loom goes from the boot into the cabin. Peel back a little of the carpet, and pull it into the cabin:

Step 8: You can then sit the speaker into the void, and put the screws tightly into the 4 holes. The holes on the edge of the opening are pre-drilled, and matched my speakers 100%:

Step 9: Replace the speaker grille panel, sliding it into the rear of the shelf first, then pressing the clips down at the front of it, before finally putting the plastic stud back into it. This is mine, finished:

Tucking the cables under the carpets as far as the B-Pillars was done by me in the dark, so I don't have any pictures. The B-pillar trim pulls straight out (tight fit mind) & up from the air duct to reveal the cables going to the rear doors. Unclip the cables (by pulling the connector block tab up) so you can access it more freely, remove the protective sheath (about 6 inches long) from the last section of the cable, to reveal all the cables in there. The loudspeaker cables are the ones wrapped around each other (helix style). Cut them, and connect them to your speaker cable from the rear shelf speakers. By the way, the colours are not as per the Haynes manual... can't remember what they were at this moment though.

I found the B-pillar trim a pig to reinstall because it has to be "exactly right" - sit it down on the air vent, tuck the carpet into the base of it, locate the clips, hope the foam packing to the lower duct hasn't moved, etc etc etc - I was tired when I did it, so maybe that didn't help :oops:

I hope this helps someone! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:31 pm 
UKS Addict

SO what wires have you used to connect the speakers? The ones from the rear doors? Does it sound much better?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:17 am 
Saab Nut

Yes, sorry, should have said - I've disconnected the rear door speakers & installed some 2 way alpine speakers in the back shelf. The sound is much better - the standard door speakers are low range (& poor at that) - the new ones are 2-way, so infinitely better by nature for all-round sound.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:28 pm 

I`ve just fitted some 6x9`s to the rear of my 95, in the same place.

I`ve done the same with regards to snipping the wires at the B posts. I have however gone a stage further,,,,,

,,,,,, I mounted the speaker grills in the boot (right beside where the speaker is mounted and just behind the rear seats and cut out the Saab interior trim in the centre of the grills to allow the speakers to move more air and move more free. I reckon the extra room to move the air has worked and they sound better after doing this. There are no unsightly holes as the full speaker grill is flush mounted to the boot trim.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:49 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-3 Wagon Turbo Edition Hirsch
metallninja wrote:

,,,,,, I mounted the speaker grills in the boot (right beside where the speaker is mounted and just behind the rear seats and cut out the Saab interior trim in the centre of the grills to allow the speakers to move more air and move more free. I reckon the extra room to move the air has worked and they sound better after doing this. There are no unsightly holes as the full speaker grill is flush mounted to the boot trim.

Any pictures? I'm not quite following what you have cut away................sorry :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:56 pm 

The Observer wrote:
Any pictures? I'm not quite following what you have cut away................sorry :oops:

Maybe later today :bag:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:16 pm 

The boot trim behind the grills has been cut away to allow the air to move more freely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:04 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Models: alletsE. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
I would have thought putting speakers in the boot is a bit like putting them next door? I did a DAB and 6x9 on the parcel

shelf. Beware of taking grills off they are SUPER brittle!! Also Haynes manual is wrong on wiring diagram.. Wires for door

speaker on off side are not as book. Mine is X Reg saloon. BTW... I am a walking advert for 9-5's

I had my boss,his brother and his brothers' girlfriend in the car today, taxi-ing around Droitwich. They were WELL impressed

Maybe we will have an extra visitor or two soon!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:49 pm 

The speakers ARE mounted on the parcel shelf. I just used the grills to mask the holes cut in the trim to allow the air to move.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Saabotage wrote:
I would have thought putting speakers in the boot is a bit like putting them next door? I did a DAB and 6x9 on the parcel

shelf. Beware of taking grills off they are SUPER brittle!! Also Haynes manual is wrong on wiring diagram.. Wires for door

speaker on off side are not as book. Mine is X Reg saloon. BTW... I am a walking advert for 9-5's

I had my boss,his brother and his brothers' girlfriend in the car today, taxi-ing around Droitwich. They were WELL impressed

Maybe we will have an extra visitor or two soon!

HA HA HA. He hasn't put the speakers in the boot! That would be stupid unless you were entertaining some undesirables on the way down to the docks. He has fitted the speakers where they should be, i.e under the grills at the side of the rear shelf and he has used the grilles to allow more air for them to move easier, he did say this earlier in the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:34 pm 

Car Models: Saab 9-5 aero HOT
Hi. I have connector under rear shelf speaker. Is this for speaker or something else? Instead of speakers there was a cover and connector under it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:27 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Welcome! :)

The rear speakers are only fitted to the cars with the Harmon Kardon system. Not usually pre-wired. It may be an aftermarket system that's been removed.

If the connectors are Saab factory fitted, the wires will be coloured.

Left side pair are: Black/Brown & Black/Green

Right side pair are: Black/Grey & Black/Violet

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 pm 

Car Models: Saab 9-5 aero HOT
Looks like a saab connector. Paint on threads not scratched so there was no speakers instaled.

Attachments:
FB_IMG_1606057970343_2_1.jpg
FB_IMG_1606057970343_2_1.jpg [ 64.06 KiB | Viewed 143 times ]

Last edited by Jonas1988 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.