UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:09 pm 

Car Models: 9-3 aero ttid
Hi, I am new to this forum and would like some help/advice for the following problem please:
I am experiencing very loud interferance type noise coming from all the speakers, it happens as soon as i turn the volume from zero and it makes the speakers vibrate. I know that all the radio stations are tuned in. I do use the bluetooth facility. Can anyone tell me if they think i may have unknowingly pressed any buttons that may be causing it?
I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Fay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:33 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Welcome! :)

I haven't heard of this. Could be an internal fault. If it's a steady hum, it could be an earthing fault.

Are all the part Saab original? If parts have been changed, it could be a mismatch.

Do you know what audio system you have? Different systems have different numbers of speakers. You need to see the speakers, not all the speaker grilles have speakers behind them on the basic system.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 am 

Thanks for your reply.
All parts are original Saab. No repairs have been carried out on the navigation/audio system as far as I am aware.
I don't think the speakers are at fault as I can hear a radio station faintly with a very loud 'white noise' with crackling 'overlayed' on top of it! I am wondering if it could be anything to do with my mobile/blue tooth set up or even the voice recognition settings which I have been playing around with. Does this give any clues?

Regards
fay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 am 
Active user

Car Models: 9-3 1.9 TiD
Hi Fay,
hopefully someone with more knowledge of the factory set up will be able to help, but a couple of questions....

Have you installed something recently that has caused this? or is this an out of the blue problem?
when you say you have changed the settings... settings on what?
does this hum stay there when you play a CD?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 am 

Hi, thanks for your response. I haven't intentionally installed anything (I wouldn't know how to) but about the time that I noticed the problem (loud crackling coming from all speakers not a hum) my son had been trying to connect his mobile using bluetooth? Also the settings I was referring to that I changed were only retuning the am & fm and altering the front/back & left/right speaker balances. The crackling is also there when I play a CD, it sounds like it is overlayed on top of the radio/cd sound?

Fay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Is this the built-in Saab original Bluetooth phone connection?

The only time I have had anything similar is with an aerial fault. Your car uses the heated rear screen as an aerial, does the signal change when you turn the rear screen heating on and off?

The audio signal is filtered from the heater power by an aerial amplifier behind the trim on the rear pillar, right hand side, and an earth filter on the LHS, also behind the rear pillar trim. Either of these could be faulty.

Or it could just be that the aerial lead has fallen out of the back of the radio.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:10 am 

Yes, it is the original blue tooth.
I went for a long drive at the w/e to get a better idea of the problem so that I could try and explain it better on this forum!
Whilst driving, I found out that what originally appeared to be a constant crackling noise coming out of all the speakers is now an intermittent crackling noise that starts and stops suddenly from either the left or right front door speakers. I had radio & cds on all the time I was driving, there were very long periods without the noise and short periods with the noise, It didn't come on gradually, rather starting & stopping suddenly!
If no one has any ideas I could learn to live with that i suppose!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-3 TX, 9-5 (Dead) & an ST
Fay wrote:
Yes, it is the original blue tooth.
I went for a long drive at the w/e to get a better idea of the problem so that I could try and explain it better on this forum!
Whilst driving, I found out that what originally appeared to be a constant crackling noise coming out of all the speakers is now an intermittent crackling noise that starts and stops suddenly from either the left or right front door speakers. I had radio & cds on all the time I was driving, there were very long periods without the noise and short periods with the noise, It didn't come on gradually, rather starting & stopping suddenly!
If no one has any ideas I could learn to live with that i suppose!

Hi

1) Can you record the crackle you here on a phone and put on this site? Crackles are all very different and it would help us to hear it.
2) Does changing the volume control up make the crackle louder? I assume so from what you have said.
3) Does the crackle occur if the radio is turned off?
4) You mention your son tried to connect a phone to your radio, has anything been physically connected to the audio input on the radio, i.e with a wire? This connections looks like a headphone socket and is a way of plugging a phone to the SAAB audio unit and can give random right and left audio noises if not done correctly.
5) Has your son fiddled with anything to try and get is phone to work?
6) There might be an amplifier in the boot of your car, has the boot had any water ingress or anything else that could disturb the amp?
7) Do the speakers crackle when the engine is not running?
8) If the speakers crackle when the engine is running does revving the engine change the crackles in any way?
9) Does the noise happen all the time or only when, say, the windscreen wipers are also on?
10) Do you know what model of radio you have? It looks like you have a colour sat nav screen, is this correct?
11) Do the speakers on top of the dashboard have "Bose" written on them? I'm just trying to identify what system you have.
12) Can you make the crackle worse by pressing any buttons or anything else?
13) Does everything else on the car work ok?
14) Has anything been disturbed? Could your radio of been removed and re-installed by your son, for example? A long shot but a loose cable generally is caused by something!
15) Are you anywhere near Skegness, Lincolnshire? If so I could take a quick look.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:18 am 

Car Models: 9.3 aero 2006
Hi, I'm having this cracking sound too on my 9.3 aero from 2006.
it's affecting the front speakers only, the middle speakers and door speaker mainly it seems ?
it starts when volume gets a bit loud, can't hear it a low volume, if i turn the bass all the way down it's cracking less, so looks like bass triggers the cracking.
the cracking does not really sound like a broken speaker, more like an interference.
I tried buying a second hand AMP1 but the problem is still there, could be faulty too tho ?? any idea what else it could be ?
M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:11 am 

Here's a link to how this sounds
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u199qx9volwwh ... 8.mp3?dl=0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:05 am 

Car Models: Saab 93 vector
Hello Everyone I am new at uksaabs, I have a similar problem with my Saab 93 2004, suddenly very loud and weird sounds listen in the car, and when is turned off and with the radio can listen so low.

The weird sounds appear dome months ago, I attach the file with all the noise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 am 

My problem was coming from the speakers that blew . Amp was fine . Replaced speakers and all good!