UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: E2 & The Old Tart
Rather weird situation - I decided to change my old MP3/USB/Bluetooth adapter panel for one with a more informative display, so took the ashtray panel (in which it was mounted) out, disconnected the AUX cable and power to the ciggy lighter, and proceeded to make up a revised mount for the new adapter.
Discovering that this was going to be a rather more long-winded job than anticipated, I decided to re-fit the old panel temporarily.
On switching it on, I found a strange background "fizzing" noise when using the AUX.
The noise is now present on the AUX in even when the panel is not connected - as if I had nothing plugged in to the AUX.
The ignition key position does not affect it - if the stereo is on and AUX selected, the noise is there. Is there anything in the area of the EHU, CD changer or AC panel that I could have disturbed which could possibly be interfering with the input, or has the input itself suddenly (and coincidentally) developed a fault?
At the moment the only thing I can think of is that the AUX (K12) connection plug to the EHU has somehow contrived to come loose separately from the main plug block in which it is mounted (seems somehow unfeasible!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:34 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
CitTone wrote:
Rather weird situation - I decided to change my old MP3/USB/Bluetooth adapter panel for one with a more informative display, so took the ashtray panel (in which it was mounted) out, disconnected the AUX cable and power to the ciggy lighter, and proceeded to make up a revised mount for the new adapter.
Discovering that this was going to be a rather more long-winded job than anticipated, I decided to re-fit the old panel temporarily.
On switching it on, I found a strange background "fizzing" noise when using the AUX.
The noise is now present on the AUX in even when the panel is not connected - as if I had nothing plugged in to the AUX.
The ignition key position does not affect it - if the stereo is on and AUX selected, the noise is there. Is there anything in the area of the EHU, CD changer or AC panel that I could have disturbed which could possibly be interfering with the input, or has the input itself suddenly (and coincidentally) developed a fault?
At the moment the only thing I can think of is that the AUX (K12) connection plug to the EHU has somehow contrived to come loose separately from the main plug block in which it is mounted (seems somehow unfeasible!)

"When you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth". In this case the other end of the Aux cable has probably come loose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 am 
UKS Addict

Guess so...time to go ferreting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:22 pm 
UKS Addict

I got nothing - it's all intact back there. Guess I will have to drive a bit faster to drown the background noise out...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:57 pm 

Car Models: 9-5
Just pop a ground loop isolator in there

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 pm 
UKS Addict

CitTone wrote:
I got nothing - it's all intact back there. Guess I will have to drive a bit faster to drown the background noise out...

I would not be surprised if the screen were disconnected from the connector, try disconnecting it from the head unit and have a closer look.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:20 pm 
UKS Addict

GeoffR wrote:
CitTone wrote:

I would not be surprised if the screen were disconnected from the connector, try disconnecting it from the head unit and have a closer look.

Disconnected, or poorly connected? The screen appears to be working absolutely fine (or as well as a 9-3 2004 satnav screen ever does).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:24 am 
UKS Addict

CitTone wrote:
GeoffR wrote:
CitTone wrote:

Disconnected, or poorly connected? The screen appears to be working absolutely fine (or as well as a 9-3 2004 satnav screen ever does).

Screen as in the metal braid around the wires between the Aux socket and the head unit not screen as in the display.