UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Am I amped or not?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm 

Car Model: 2001 Convertible SE
Thank you for your helpful replies to my previous issue, I know have a follow-up which I am posting as a new topic. I have a 2002 Convertible SE, I am looking for the amp which I don't think I have. I have no sound coming from my speakers, which was one of the faults with the original unit (it would cut out more than in). I have no door speakers so just four in the car I think and in the centre tunnel to the left of the heater controls on the passenger side there is no amp. Is there anywhere else this amp would be and is there a fault I may have overlooked with the speakers? I still have sound from the indicators and all my fuses are fine. Thanks again in advance for your replies, they are really appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Am I amped or not?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95, 99, 900, 9000, 93, Sonett
I think the location on the lower left of the dash was the only factory position for the amplifier. If your car has four speakers - two in the dash and two in the rear quarters - it probably won't have the amp fitted. Are none of the speakers working? That would suggest an issue with the head unit. We had this problem with my wife's OG93, the radio would work for the first 5 minutes of any journey, then it would cut out and not work again until the next day. Replaced her head unit with a spare one, and it's been fine since.

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply - definitely no amp in the centre tunnel by the heater, the new head unit I fitted still has the same issue, no sound front or back, I even refitted the old original head unit and it powered up fine, the steering wheel control for sourde worked fine but no sound from the speakers whichever head unit I try. There was intermittent sound from all the speakers for a while until a few weeks back but nothing now. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:32 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95, 99, 900, 9000, 93, Sonett
Are the speakers the originals? I had one of my rear speakers die because of a split cone. In one of our other cars, three of the speakers have no output, and the fourth makes a buzzy rasp. The wiring all checks out fine, so I've concluded the speakers need replaced, and have bought new ones. But as they are such a complete nightmare to replace, it's been on the list for three years now - the entire interior needs to come out... :argh:

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
If the car had an aftermarket headunit before you bought it, it may have been removed in a hurry and things bodged together.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 pm 

It had the original unit in when I bought it and it worked intermittently, speaker-wise. Now with the new head unit it is exactly the same, what am I missing, what might have caused the speakers to not be working properly?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:21 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 convertible Aero MMI
Hi. There is something about speakers in the knowledge base section.