UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:13 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 2008 9-3 vector convertible
I've had a few Chinese units. As you say Xtrons & Pumpkin units seem to be the best of a bad lot :) Had a Pumpkin unit that worked great, the first xtrons I had just never worked at all, no customer service help at all, apart from a little lip service on, I think it was facebook. The second Xtrons unit I bought second hand so I could see it working before I handed any money over, this one worked perfectly for many years and was still going strong when I sold the car.

I've tried both the windows version and android, the android is far superior in my eyes.

The few no name Chinese units I've seen the GUI was awful.

The only reason I wouldn't buy another is the woefully slow start up times (on the android units I've used/seen) I have been told this has now been improved with the implementation of sleep mode. This puts the stereo to sleep for a set amount of time 1,2,3,4 hours so the unit doesn't have to boot up from scratch if stopping at the shop etc.

If I bought another I'd have to physically test it before committing to buy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:09 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 97 9000 Aero 2.3T
Daz wrote:
I've had a few Chinese units. As you say Xtrons & Pumpkin units seem to be the best of a bad lot :) Had a Pumpkin unit that worked great, the first xtrons I had just never worked at all, no customer service help at all, apart from a little lip service on, I think it was facebook. The second Xtrons unit I bought second hand so I could see it working before I handed any money over, this one worked perfectly for many years and was still going strong when I sold the car.

I've tried both the windows version and android, the android is far superior in my eyes.

The few no name Chinese units I've seen the GUI was awful.

The only reason I wouldn't buy another is the woefully slow start up times (on the android units I've used/seen) I have been told this has now been improved with the implementation of sleep mode. This puts the stereo to sleep for a set amount of time 1,2,3,4 hours so the unit doesn't have to boot up from scratch if stopping at the shop etc.

If I bought another I'd have to physically test it before committing to buy.

Agreed on the wake up times.
The ATOTO unit im about to buy (A6 Pro with Gesture), has a cold boot time of 25 sec. Or a wake from sleep time of 2 sec.
Additionally the reverse camera works regardless of the OS state. So even if it was still cold booting, the camera would come up. Which is a definite improvement over models up to this point in time.

RE GUI's. You can now download Launchers for car andriod systems. "CarWebGuru" from the Play Store seems to be the best one. It has some awesome GUI's to pick from. Plus you can customise with car logos etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:23 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 2008 9-3 vector convertible
To be honest I just use my phone now, bluetooth receiver hidden away and plugged into the aux in socket on the standard stereo. It does everything I need and more. Nice and simple, push it into the wireless charger, the nfc tag takes care of everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:54 am 
Active user

Car Models: 9-5 Aero Stage 3, NG900 'vert
Paul Taylor wrote:
carcrusher wrote:
Hello everyone, since it's Christmas I was thinking of getting my self a nice present in the form of a new head unit for my '09 9-3 and I'm looking for some advice since there are so many options out there.

I was looking at AVIC-Z920DAB from Pioneer but it's a bit pricey since it's their flagship unit but it has a long list of bells and whistles like wireless apple car play. Another option would be to get something like this one from Pumpkin. It's basically a giant android phone, hardware wise it seems really good but I don't really trust the chinese stuff to integrate properly with all the controls on the car, also I don't know how nicely their fascia would make the head unit look with the rest of the interior.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'd like to mention that since I'm not very good with electrical stuff I won't be doing the installation, I would just provide the unit to a company that does professional installs.

Ive been studying Chinese android units for the last few months and it would seem there are 4 or 5 big players in this Chinese market.
They all have almost identical casings, however the internals are pretty much specific per brand after managing to find internal pictures online.
Pumpkin appear to be the worst in terms of reliability, and a cheap nasty amplifier.

Xtrons offer slightly better units. The ones marked with DSP in the title have a better amplifier. but it seems their after sales support is shocking.

Atoto seem to be the best of the bunch. They have a high end Toshiba class AB amplifier. Regular firmware updates. A fairly decent website, and a dedicated support website..
This is the flagship model which seems to retail for about £250 on amazon UK. It also has gesture control, so you just wave you hand in differing patterns to do different things.
A6Y2721PRB-G
http://www.myatoto.com/index.php?m=cont ... d=15&id=41

The Atoto one is what i am going for. Just waiting for the sales tomorrow !.

Looks good but DAB not built-in so you'll have to add the stick tuner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:09 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 2010 9-3 Aero Carlsson
sgould wrote:
I'm still trying to sort out the problem with FM reception on the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB. Something odd with the aerial, but that's on hold until the warmer weather arrives because I have to work in the open with the roof lining dropped. DAB & AM work fine. The Apple CarPlay is fine. Waze works as soon as you connect the phone. It needs a USB connection for that. The phone connection via bluetooth is also working well. Overall it's a relatively cheap solution. The only thing missing is a CD/DVD slot, but these days that sort of thing is done on the phone or USB.
t
Quite happy wih it. Even without the FM at the moment, it's working better than the expensive 2013 Kenwood. It was on offer a couple of weeks ago at £280. Maybe the same in the January sales...

If i remember correctly you only need the USB connection for the maps, the music should stream via bluetooth connection? Did you get it all working? any pics of it in place? If you are planning of attending any meets I'd like to see it in situ.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:54 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Not sorted the FM yet. Waiting for a warm day! I think there's an aerial problem, but that will need the tailgate open and the rear trim removed. The DAB works well enough around here.

The phone needs a USB connection for the Waze mapping. The bluetooth works for the other stuff.

I'll take some photos later when the sun comes out! :)

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:04 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 2004 9-5 Aero Estate
Summarising the thread and neighbouring ones so far I've come to the following, costing around £400 at today's prices, a bit more if doing the DAB conversion properly

So if I buy the same Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB:

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... dkEALw_wcB

The following harnesses:
Automatic steering wheel harness:
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Saab-9-5 ... l-interfac

Amplifier:
https://incartec.co.uk/product/ISO-to-I ... -interface

Fascia:
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Saab-95-Double-Din-Trim

and what is this for?
https://incartec.co.uk/product/PIONEER- ... SWC-29-007

I have no desire to start peeling back my headlining looking for aerial wires to do the DAB properly. Would this GSM thing work in my case does anyone know? Or would I be better off doing replacing the sharkfin properly and rewiring, that seems like it would make the whole job much more involved, and preferably I'd like to do in an afternoon, minimising swearing and headaches
https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT27AA108
taken from:
http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=188284