UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 am 

Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.0T
Hi all, soon to pick up a 9-3 convertible. Very excited. It's on a 53 plate, so I think it's the facelift (and actually 2004 possibly). Very new to Saab's so will probably have a million questions to come, so apologies for that in advance.

First thing I will want to sort is getting DAB radio and getting bluetooth connection with calls. From what I've read, the stock audio system is the most difficult to change. So it's all very confusing at the moment as not sure which system I have. I believe it's got a cd changer in the boot and potentially has a green screen on the dash. Have put up the only photo I currently have of the interior, wonder if anyone can tell.

I think this "might" be the 7 speaker system?

In any case, was wondering what my options are. Want to keep it relatively simple/low cost.

Was initially thinking a single din unit - https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... ted-bundle

But think this is actually difficult as there is no fascia available and wiring could be tough.

Or would it be easy to fit one of these with a windscreen stick on aerial? https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/Sin ... EZi-DAB-BT

Any help would be great. Very excited to pick up the car next saturday and hoping to know the direction of travel before hand.

Thanks guys.

Attachments:
Interior.jpg
Interior.jpg [ 144.02 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Welcome to UKS :D

I have moved your post to the relevant section for dealing with ICE, as not everyone with knowledge of such visits ''Introductions''.

Quote:
Introductions
New members introduce yourself here.
Please do not post your technical questions here. Please use the relevant forum, workshop, body shop etc... for tech questions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 pm 

Espin99 wrote:
Welcome to UKS :D

I have moved your post to the relevant section for dealing with ICE, as not everyone with knowledge of such visits ''Introductions''.

Quote:
Introductions
New members introduce yourself here.
Please do not post your technical questions here. Please use the relevant forum, workshop, body shop etc... for tech questions.

Thanks, and yes sorry, got it in the wrong place initially!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:43 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: E2 & The Old Tart
The cd changer is in the player itself, according to the photo, as there are 6 buttons on the disc unit.
If there is a cd unit in the boot, (on the left) that would normally be the satnav disc drive, which would only be present with the colour screen.
Adding bluetooth and DAB together is potentially easiest if the car has the factory AUX input fitted, as you can get devices to plug straight in, rather than going via an FM channel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:38 am 

CitTone wrote:
The cd changer is in the player itself, according to the photo, as there are 6 buttons on the disc unit.
If there is a cd unit in the boot, (on the left) that would normally be the satnav disc drive, which would only be present with the colour screen.
Adding bluetooth and DAB together is potentially easiest if the car has the factory AUX input fitted, as you can get devices to plug straight in, rather than going via an FM channel.

Thanks for the info. Does that mean the 6 cds are fed in at the player itself and if anything is in the boot it is just for the sat nav? Or do you mean all 6 cds and sat nav are fed into the unit in the boot? Silly question I appreciate.

Apparently no aux input, is it still possible to fit a factory one in?

anyway, picking up the car tomorrow so I guess I'll see then.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Yes - all 6 CDs are fed in through the one slot in the dash. The Nav disc goes into the drive mounted under a cover in the LHS of the boot.

AUX can be retrofitted - physically it only involves connecting a 3.5mm jack socket and cable behind the dash (example - http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_in ... ts_id=2716) , but you will also need someone with the Saab Tech2 system to enable the option on the system.

It's a choice between that and an FM modulator with an AUX-IN connector.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:17 pm 

That makes sense. Cheers.

Over £50 for the aux kit :shock:

Will have to see what best option is, was hoping to get aux in to make the reception on the Alpine Ezi-dab slightly stronger/stable, but guess will have to see!!

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 am 
UKS Addict

Hotrain69 wrote:

Other suppliers are available!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:01 am 

CitTone wrote:
Hotrain69 wrote:

Other suppliers are available!

That's always good to hear!! I've not been able to find anything else online though, would you be able to point me in the right direction please?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm 
UKS Addict

There's Maptun
https://www.maptunparts.com/car-body-in ... 03-06.html
...or could try polling a few breakers to see if they have a car with the cable present - after all, a quick look under the armrest will confirm.

..or for a thread on here with a more DIY flavour...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165406&start=0

There's a suggestion in here that a cable for the Vectra C (available on ebay) will fit, but I cannot confirm this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:43 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: alletsE. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
Hotrain69 wrote:

:shock:

Will have to see what best option is, was hoping to get aux in to make the reception on the Alpine Ezi-dab slightly stronger/stable, but guess will have to see!!

Thanks again.

Oh Dear me!

I had an EZI-DAB. I sold it. The poxy indoor aerial was it's downfall.

That was it's downfall not too long ago. Maybe the EZI chaps have redesigned their kit so that you can add a proper rooftop aerial. My woes are on here somewhere, have a look!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:36 am 

CitTone wrote:
There's Maptun
https://www.maptunparts.com/car-body-in ... 03-06.html
...or could try polling a few breakers to see if they have a car with the cable present - after all, a quick look under the armrest will confirm.

..or for a thread on here with a more DIY flavour...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165406&start=0

There's a suggestion in here that a cable for the Vectra C (available on ebay) will fit, but I cannot confirm this.

cheers buddy, that's great. I actually managed to find that thread and thought the ebay solution was worth a try given it was only about 6 quid. Thanks alot mate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 am 

Saabotage wrote:
Hotrain69 wrote:

:shock:

Thanks again.

Oh Dear me!

I had an EZI-DAB. I sold it. The poxy indoor aerial was it's downfall.

That was it's downfall not too long ago. Maybe the EZI chaps have redesigned their kit so that you can add a proper rooftop aerial. My woes are on here somewhere, have a look!

Ah yes, I've seen a few of those comments too. But my audio install place that I go to highly recommended it. So will chat to them to grill them about it. Not sure how I'll be able to get a proper rooftop aerial on the vert though. perhaps the guy didn't know this. I also think Alpine do a separate windscreen dab aerial that gets stronger signal now. but we'll see!!

Cheers.