UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2006 9-3SS 2.0T Aero BSR
I've been thinking about upgrading the small (4 inch?) speakers in the rear parcel shelf my my '06 9-3 SS Aero.

It has the AS2 7 speaker system, with aftermarket 8" woofers in the parcel shelf (where 6x9's would go), powered by a 1000w Alpine amp in the boot.

Would it make much of an improvement if I replaced the OEM 4" parcel shelf speakers as it would be quite easy to do and pretty cheap I'd imagine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
I have the ICM3 system and have just replaced the 6x9's for more powerful ones.
Was going to also replace the small ones too.
Would be interested to see your subs that go on the shelf, if you take shelf off would like to see a picture of them.
I think AS2 is the older system?
Do you mean ICM3?
That's 7 speaker.
Have you got Sat Nav.....
What are you using as a head unit if you have the Alpine amp?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:31 pm 
Active user

Ian78 wrote:
I have the ICM3 system and have just replaced the 6x9's for more powerful ones.
Was going to also replace the small ones too.
Would be interested to see your subs that go on the shelf, if you take shelf off would like to see a picture of them.
I think AS2 is the older system?
Do you mean ICM3?
That's 7 speaker.
Have you got Sat Nav.....
What are you using as a head unit if you have the Alpine amp?

You’re right AS2 is the older system, from the 9-5 range which I got muddled up with!

I have the ‘Premium’ 7 speaker system, which I guess was the equivalent of the AS2 (Prestige being a bit like the AS3?)

It has 2 front door speakers, 3 in the front dash, and 2 small 4 inch in the rear parcel shelf.

I had the amp and woofers installed at a professional Car Audio shop about 7 years ago.

Below are pictures of the Alpine MRV-M500 amp, which only power the 8” woofers, everything else is standard, split between the head unit and the amp under the passenger seat. You'll see in picture where the fuses are, there's a black and silver box, I think this is a line converter, but not 100% sure.

I’m not a bass junkie, but being a drummer wanted a bit more punch to the sound in my car, in particular I like to feel the punch of the bass drum in my back, so this was the setup recommended to me on my budget.

It certainly does the trick, and sounds nice and clear and can go very loud without distortion. The standard speakers and amp seem pretty powerful in the mid range so it’s evened it out quite nicely with the extra low end.

I don’t have satnav, and the head unit is the standard one. I think the way it’s been setup is that the standard amps drive the standard speakers, and the Alpine drives the woofers. If I turn the fader to the rear, only the 4 inch rear parcel shelf speakers are used, and to the front I get everything expect the rear parcel shelf speakers.

I just wanted to understand if I replace those rear 4 inch speakers, if the sounds quality will improve much overall. The standard ones are very tinny (as expected), although I suspect the amp might have a crossover and only sends upper mid/treble to them.

(for some reason all the image hosts I've tried auto-rotate this last image, sorry it's the wrong way round, but you get the idea)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:27 pm 
UKS Addict

I have got 2 in the front doors, 3 on the dashboard, 6 on the rear shelf.
How did you run the amp with the standard headunit?
Happy with the power of the other speakers but would like to put a sub in the right of the boot at the side as you open it.
Not sure about if a bulb goes because you can't get to it.
The little ones that we have on the shelf are handling it well but an upgrade to maybe a 2 way or 3 way speaker will give better sound.
I was wondering how you fitted the 8" subs there and the pictures explain, thanks.

These would give better sound I bet > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-420- ... ctupt=true

Would consider those myself.
Not checked to see if that's a good price or not.
Have we checked they are 4" yet?
I'm not 100% sure.

Fitted these 3 way Pioneers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 pm 
Active user

Ian78 wrote:
I have got 2 in the front doors, 3 on the dashboard, 6 on the rear shelf.
How did you run the amp with the standard headunit?
Happy with the power of the other speakers but would like to put a sub in the right of the boot at the side as you open it.
Not sure about if a bulb goes because you can't get to it.
The little ones that we have on the shelf are handling it well but an upgrade to maybe a 2 way speaker will give better sound.
I was wondering how you fitted the 8" subs there and the pictures explain, thanks.

These would give better sound I bet > https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-420- ... ctupt=true

Would consider those myself.
Not checked to see if that's a good price or not.
Have we checked they are 4" yet?
I'm not 100% sure.

Fitted these 3 way Pioneers.

Those 6x9 looks pretty neat, do you have tweeters as well making 6 in the rear?

I'm not 100% sure how the amp runs with the head unit - as mentioned, i got it done by a car audio shop so didn't actually see what they did, but I suspect the line level converter (silver and black box?) takes the output of the head unit, filters the high pass and then goes to the Alpine to boost the low frequencies.

I'll check out those speakers, and double check the size. I might remove them and test them through a normal amp indoors to see if any frequencies are being filtered out by the head unit. If they are, then there's not much point changing them as the signal will still be the same.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Headunit probably just run full sound wouldn't it?
I bet you will get better sound with those 3 way speakers.
The sound from the 3 way Pioneer 6x9's is much better than the standard speakers that were fitted.
Would like to uprate all speakers and fit a sub.

Trouble is how do you change a bulb if you need to?
Not sure how it fits and how easy to remove.
Neat and out the way like this>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:23 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Hi both!

I'm idly considering an amp at some point for my car. Aod, you have an ICM2 system, looks like it was originally a 150w 7 speaker set up. It's possible to get these set ups:

4 speaker ICM1
7 speaker ICM2
13 Speaker ICM2
7 speaker ICM2
13 speaker ICM3

and possibly other combinations. The ICM is the stuff in the dash with, in your case, a screen. ICM1 has no screen, ICM2 has a green screen and ICM3 has a colour sat nav screen. With 4 speakers the system has no amps as standard, just the head unit. 7 speakers gets you a an amp under the passenger seat to run the speakers and an extra dash speaker from the head unit that also gives warning sounds. 13 speakers means that you also have an amp in the boot, 4 four extra boot speakers and two more dash speakers. No amps is a 70w system, 1 amp is a 150w system and 2 amps is a 300w system.

With the above in mind the reason for the subs fading like they are front speakers is because the front speaker input is full range (rear ones are not) so they used that signal for the speaker level feed to your amp.

That last bit is what I need to figure out in a practical sense, I only know the theory! I need to figure out how to route the feed, power an amp, how to keep the door speakers while taking a feed from them etc etc. I like 6x9 speakers and have some fitted simply for quality but they lack bass from the rear speaker signal. In the past in Novas and the like I used to just get a powerful head unit to run them as an amp wasn't really necessary, can't do that easily now! Any advice?

Rob

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:00 pm 
UKS Addict

I have ICM3 Rob.
Thanks for the info on what comes with what.
Me too want to get more info on using an aftermarket amp and a sub.

Are we sure they are 4"?
I don't want to remove shelf to measure them.
Seen some nice 4" speakers at local car parts shop and might buy them tomorrow.

Some searching and yes they are 4"
http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=2132

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:31 pm 
UKS Addict

6x9 sub woofers.
Wonder if they are any good.
Not specifically these ones but like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tang-Band-W6 ... rk:54:pf:0

Those 4" speakers are only getting 17.5W I think.
Maybe not worth uprating, thinking about it.