UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:42 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: '97 9000 Aero
Having bought a stock 2002 9-5 Aero back in 2015, over the subsequent 2 years I took it to stage 5, running about 340 bhp and 520 NM.

While it went really well and the 19t spun up really quickly, I always had the urge to take it to 500 bhp and when the opportunity arose to buy Faero's old 9000, I was amazed by the car's spec list.

I ended up swapping the 9-5 for it and feel that while the 9-5 was pretty much brand new underneath, and this 9000 isn't, to take the 9-5 to this level of performance would have cost something in the region of £6000. Additionally, I became fed up with constantly upgrading the 9-5, having it off the road all the time that the idea of having a car that's 'good to go', tried and tested was really appealing.

Only since picking up the 9000 have I happened upon Faero's old build threads. I'm stunned at the amount of blood, sweat and tears that have gone into this build so it is my duty to keep this car at a top notch standard and possibly carry out further upgrades.

While it's unmistakably a track car, my aim is to daily drive it with the occasional trackday and standing mile race thrown in. I'm also keen to take it to any UKS meets.

Spec list is as follows:

b234 rebored to just under 2.4L (Sutton Rebore)
3000 mile old rebuild - all new timing, oil pump, seals, shells, bearings etc.
Wossner pistons
Balanced B234 rods
Balanced crank/flywheel
ARP Studs
Maptun 268 Cams
Baffled deep sump
Custom large plenum intake Mani (perhaps this is what gives it a Ferrari-esque engine note? )
Tubular Manifold
Garrett GT3071r turbo with braided lines
Tial 38mm External wastegate
Walbro 255 pump
Forge dump valve
Oversize ITG filter
Uprated alloy radiator (40% thicker)
60mm Allard intercooler
630cc Siemens injectors
3 bar map sensor
Running approx. 444hp and 420ftlbs at the hubs (480 at the fly) at 1.6bar but will happily push over 500 if boost and ignition is pushed.
Poly bushed
3" V-banded downpipe and JT exhaust
Rebuilt gearbox with shot peened and cryogenic treated 4.45 gearset and longer 9-5 5th.
Quaife LSD
Circlip and dowel strengthening mod
2004 crush sleeve
All new bearings
Millers CFS LS 75-140 NT oil
New driveshaft tripods
New SKF CV joints
New intermediate bearing
Lightweight flywheel 5.5kg
Poly bushed
Auber Temperature sensor / gauge
Sachs uprated clutch cover, Cg motorsport solid paddle friction plate, braided hose, uprated modified clutch master cylinder (ensures cleaner disengagement)
2k mile Bilstein B6/8 custom coilovers
SAS anti roll bars front rear
350lb front coilover conversions (adjustable height)
600lb rear coilovers (adjustable height)
New SKF wheel bearing
Poly bushed
AP Racing 330mm calipers
Reyland front discs
Abbott racing rear discs
Ferodo DS3000 pads all round
Braided lines all round
ABS removed
OZ Superleggera 17X7.5J
Road tyres - Nankang NS2R
Alpine Ezi-Dab with amp, gain controller and front speakers only - can't seem to work this out, anyone got or used one of these?
330mm flocked Nardi steering wheel with Driftworks snap-off boss
Auber digital gauges / programmable: Oil pressure, Water Temp, Gearbox Temp.
Afr gauge
Knock led
All in custom made carbon panels
Abbott triangulated/bolted rear strut brace
Maptun lightweight alloy front strut brace
Car lightened throughout - Weighs 1360 kg with full interior

Abbott Racing rear brace sits nice and out of sight:8)

Compared with the 9-5, which had a 19t-7 turbo, the 9k is much laggier, but being a ball bearing turbo, it isn't too bad, you just can't make fast progress with the bottom half of the rev counter like you can with a 19t; it's very all or nothing.

The 9000 though is everything I want in a Saab and on boost it's just incredible. The noise, the handling, the ride, everything is just so damned impressive.

The car suffered a few more major issues initially which have since been rectified by my trusty mechanic (Tony Wallis at Saab Repairs Doncaster):

Oil leak - turned out the baffled sump was completely knackered and uneconomical to repair so this has since been replaced with a stock sump. I may get an Accusump or add baffles to this one - anyone have any thoughts?

Idling all over the place, hopping from near-stalling to 2500 rpm - It transpired that the inlet manifold had a few cracks - since this has been rectified the idle now settles around 1000 rpm but is still a little lumpy due to the cams

Before welding (it was cracked) -

After a welding session -

Amongst less pressing issues are the fact that the bodywork is pretty tired, particularly on the passenger side, due to a wheel popping off on a trackday (previous owner) and hitting the body. I'm picking up a new left side rear door, front left fender and have already fitted a new right brake light lense.

Cracked brake light lense before:

Nice shiny vgc one:

Installed - sometimes the little jobs are the most satisfying -

Right now I'm not concerned with getting the car to 'show' standard, but a few little jobs here and there are fine.

Looks like Nelliem has done a great job on fixing the chassis up rust-wise (thanks!) as it passed its last MOT with no advisories; it looks pretty solid underneath but I will be keeping a watchful eye on it.

I've removed the tow strap and stickers for the full sleeper effect; the next sleeper mod is to paint the brake callipers black.

Future plans are to install the Quaife LSD which was supplied with the car but in a separate gearbox, take it to a dyno day at Street Racers Rolling Road in December (which I hope some of you will be attending? - https://www.facebook.com/events/1900524626936690/), fit a lighter billet CHRA, possibly a live mapping session if I can get hold of Faero or Karl(if you map T5?) and a standing mile race in May 2018.

Other than that, I'm happy just driving the thing! Could possibly do with a diesel runabout in the future but my daily commute is only 4 miles so I end up cycling or even walking a fair bit so the 9000 is more of a weekend toy. I'm sure though that it'll make for a great winter hack.

For comparison, by the speedo, the 9000 appears to be in a different league to the 9-5 in terms of mid-range acceleration:

9-5: 100-200 km/h 11 seconds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKBcEpyvmPA
9000: 100-200 km/h 8.6 seconds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc_CvBCLCfc

A Lamborghini Murcielago covers the same increment in 9 seconds; an E60 M5 9.5 seconds, so naturally I had to make some comparison videos :lol:

Murcielago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3rjoU7WeGM
E60 M5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itFgXw3lglg

I reckon with less weight and the billet CHRA this should be well into the 7 seconds territory.

Last edited by Nutty9000 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:19 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2002 9-3 SE TD04-15T stage 1
This is where I want to be in life! I have a long commute but I want a crap eco crap box for the daily drive and something like this sat on the drive. This car is epic!

Off topic but I'm actually from near Donny originally!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

gazmk2 wrote:
This is where I want to be in life! I have a long commute but I want a poo eco poo box for the daily drive and something like this sat on the drive. This car is epic!

Off topic but I'm actually from near Donny originally!

Cool I'm Nottingham based but it's worth the trip up to Donny every 6 months or so. I can't really justify doing much more than 10,000 miles a year in this but it isn't any worse on fuel than the 9-5 so it's pretty cheap to run considering the silly power. I reckon it's averaging 22 mpg or thereabouts. Would like a Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi estate as a daily beater as sometimes driving this thing is like sitting in a paint mixer :park:

What are you running? There's a lot to be said for a mildly tuned Saab, a much better daily driver.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:08 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2002 9-3 SE TD04-15T stage 1
I'm running an OG 9-3 se. Was a 150bhp LPT but I've fitted a TD04-15T and it's running a Noobtune 250 map. Great daily as it's auto but it doesn't look like it has anywhere near 250bhp.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: GM900
Crackin car one of first build I read. The problem with a modified car is in the title too, it will always be faeros!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:39 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

WheelyBigCheese wrote:
Crackin car one of first build I read. The problem with a modified car is in the title too, it will always be faeros!

Yeh I guess there's some pleasure to be had in building a car from scratch yourself, but tbh after the 9-5 project I couldn't be arsed to tune a 9k from scratch, especially to this level, nor do I have the ability, patience or resources. I realised how much work is involved with a project like this and I'm not a mechanic, I just want to drive the thing. Seemed to spend more time fannying around with the 9-5 than enjoying it so I'd like to take this 9k to the Nürburgring, Vmax etc.

Having said that, I might get a full respray in black at some point, guess that'd make it more 'of my own project'.

How's your 900 running? Loved that, such a sleeper.

Last edited by Nutty9000 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:42 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

gazmk2 wrote:
I'm running an OG 9-3 se. Was a 150bhp LPT but I've fitted a TD04-15T and it's running a Noobtune 250 map. Great daily as it's auto but it doesn't look like it has anywhere near 250bhp.

Sounds perfect, yeh heard these respond really well to a remap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:21 am 
UKS Addict

Glad to see she is still alive nutty9000!

I did also have issues with the little gasket between the big throttle body and intake mani - do a visual on it and check it’s nipped up ok.
Idle ‘should’ be pretty smooth once adapted so keep looking for any little leaks or cracks.

It goes even faster with 100kg of seats removed ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:13 am 
Active user

Car Model: '95 9K V6 and '97 9K CS Anniv
Awesome build, any chance we could see a video of it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm 
The welds remind me of the line from the fast and furious. Insane build though. Looks like a handful

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Took a lovely (yet torrential) drive out to Norwich this morning to meet Frank Cragg from Frank's Autos to get a load of parts off a friend's comparably immaculate 9000 CSE breaker, in the same Silver - blemish-free dashboard, vgc dent-free rear left door, rust-free front left fender, non-rattly indicator stalk, speaker cover, indicator relay, couple of other little bits and pieces.

Frank and his wing man Mark are top blokes and it was a pleasure to meet them. The amount of knowledge they have on Saabs is unparalleled and they went through the car with me with a 'fine toothcomb' to search for faults, with incredible attention to detail; very many of which were discovered. Not many mechanics let you spend the day at their workshop to have a proper chillout whilst working on your car, I'll be going back there's no doubt about that!

Arrival:

Breaker car, ready to be gutted:

Inspection begins:

Safe to say this fender was past its use-by date:

What lay beneath:

While it isn't stainless steel like the 9-5's system, the exhaust is pretty robust and has had some welding done recently:

New dent-free door and front fender on:

Much better!

Repair of indicator/hazard lights relay:

Didn't get chance to fit the uncracked dash and un-rattly indicator stalk this time; they can wait until my next visit:

Over the course of the day Frank diagnosed the following parts which need attention, starting with the most urgent:

- Brake lines need replacing
- Front jacking points need welding work
- Intermediary shaft tube is dented slightly
- New SKF wheel bearings
- Replace fuel filter
- Recondition and repair rear oversill (both sides)
- Lower engine mounts - replace
- Gearbox mount has sunk
- Helicoil sump thread and seal properly with Vauxhall fluid
- New front anti rollbar links including bolts
- Assister springs for front suspension; or correct shock absorbers, not inserts
- Check if springs and shocks are a matched pair
- Gripping washers for front strut brace
- New anti rollbar links
- Get slam panel off breaker

Car averaged a genuine 32 mpg over the entire journey (ever the optimist, the onboard digital display read 57 mpg :lol: ), which was mostly mid-speed cruising with the occasional full throttle. Amazing really considering the age and performance. And when I say performance it's just silly, silly, silly fast.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

faero wrote:
Glad to see she is still alive nutty9000!

I did also have issues with the little gasket between the big throttle body and intake mani - do a visual on it and check it’s nipped up ok.
Idle ‘should’ be pretty smooth once adapted so keep looking for any little leaks or cracks.

It goes even faster with 100kg of seats removed ;)

Thanks a lot Phil will check that, thanks for the PM will get in touch shortly.

Current issue is lots of spluttering. I've fitted NGK BCR8ES gapped to 0.9mm; is that the ideal setup?

I guess it's worth fitting a new MAF sensor while the new airbox goes in also:

(Noticed the air filter was extremely damp and dirty) -

To protect from water, this will soon be replaced by a carbon airbox:

Last edited by Nutty9000 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Level wrote:
Awesome build, any chance we could see a video of it!

Thanks, I need to order a GoPro type camera and fit it to the rear strut brace; can't seem to find a suitable mount anywhere! Soon as I have one I'll make a vid on some B roads.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Good to see it's still getting used for what it was built for..
Maybe a wee trip to Knockhill 1 day :wink:
As Phil said, get them lightweight parts refitted..

Saabocus
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others
Focus ST

RX8 B204

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:33 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Good luck replacing the MAF sensor on that generation of 9000....

They didn't have one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

beardydave wrote:
Good luck replacing the MAF sensor on that generation of 9000....

They didn't have one.

Oh haha that's why I leave stuff like this to the experts.

DI pack ordered, will see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car 55 wrote:
Good to see it's still getting used for what it was built for..
Maybe a wee trip to Knockhill 1 day :wink:
As Phil said, get them lightweight parts refitted..

Would love to go to Knockhill looks like an excellent track. Do they run it in both directions though as looking at it it's all right hand corners which wouldn't be ideal with the stock sump in, defo need to refit some baffles at some stage.

I don't know if even less weight would make it any quicker on the road due to grip. Yes the power to weight ratio would be better but at least the heavy front seats (and my 110 kg) are pressing down on the front axle nicely. It's a daily driver/sleeper with a sting in its tail. If I got a daily driver to go with it then maybe I'd consider removing the rear seats, fitting some lightweight buckets and even a fibreglass bonnet, all of which would take the kerbweight from its current 1360 kg to I reckon 1240 kg, bit like removing me! :lol:

Got the snow foam out on Sunday:

Lost my bucket so sacked it off and went for a drive instead, quick 'spin dry' :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
Don’t need a baffled sump for knockhill done it lots of trackdays there no issues. Only long right handlers can cause problems however I have never had an issue at any track I have done.

Clio dci

Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

SaabnScotland wrote:
Don’t need a baffled sump for knockhill done it lots of trackdays there no issues. Only long right handlers can cause problems however I have never had an issue at any track I have done.

That's good then, do you not slightly overfill the oil or something?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
Nice to see this car in another set of good hands. Having ridden in it on track, goes like a light +450hp car should go, only proper fast stuff can keep pace on anything at all straightish.