UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 SE Stage 3
I swear this car wants to be incontinent. It's leaking fuel for the third time. It's the banjo fitting on the pipe from the fuel filter to the fuel rail.

What's more annoying is that the fitting is not easily replaced and you have to replace the whole pipe from the filter to the rail and it comes in at a rather hefty £152. At least there is the UKS discount.

Last edited by Kei on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 pm 
UKS Addict

New parts arrived this afternoon. Washers are dowty rather than copper which surprised me.

Last edited by Kei on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:10 pm 
UKS Addict

Failed it's MOT today on the usual brake related problems related to limited mileage. Front and rear imbalance and pitted/scored discs.

A tad annoying seeing as I replaced the rear discs and pads in February. Luckily I already had a pair of brand new genuine saab front discs still boxed hiding in the shed.

Once these front discs are done, I'm going to start looking into replacing the calipers for the post 1996 288x25mm kit with bigger pads. Not 100% sure if my 15" wheels will fit over them though as the calipers are bigger and my current ones are pretty close to the spokes.

Quite snug.

Early caliper vs Late caliper

Pad size difference

Last edited by Kei on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:48 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: GM900
Looking good Kyle. What mileage you on ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:19 pm 
UKS Addict

Up to 192535 now. I have to admit to having spent some time looking at replacing it. The corrosion in and around the rear chassis is at the stage where it needs sorting this year. I start a new job next week and will need to press the car into full time service, which I've never needed to do. I'm very torn on the matter as I love the car and want to restore it properly but I know that it'll cost a small fortune to get it done to that standard. IMO, there have been too many MOT grade patches done on the chassis repairs in the past for my liking. Common sense says replace it, heart says fix it. Fixing it will take time that I don't have nor can I afford to be without a car for a few months either.

Dare I say it, having looked around the various new cars, not much stands out as being able to properly replace it. Currently the stand out models are BMW 1 series, 3 series touring, 4 series, Audi A3 sportback and the Volvo V40 T5. Don't want to go much smaller, but definitely do not want anything longer as it's challenging enough to park 4.65m of car.

In other news, I've painted the rear calipers and drums silver.

It still looks tidy from a distance but it's got the battle scars to prove its age.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Finally remembered to take a look at my electric mirror switch as it's been intermittent for some time. It had basically been non functional for a month or so.

It was well gummed up with a mix of dust/fluff and plenty of corrosion. Cleaned it all out using a mix of vinegar & brasso and then cleaned that off with isopropyl. Used some PTFE lubricant to try to keep the corrosion at bay for a few years. Works a treat now.

In other news, started a new job back in the first week of august which has meant I've had to commute 5 days a week to and from Cardiff. The car's taken it in it's stride and it's not doing too badly on fuel (30-32 mpg) but I think it really needs to go into storage for the winter and I need a replacement to take the strain of commuting. The cost of replacing it with something I like that can match it is rather steep though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 am 
UKS Addict

A slight bewilderment occurred this morning. The coolant low warning came up on the SID just after entering the car park at work so I had a look at the level in the reservoir after parking to find that it's a good half inch above the cold mark. (which I expected as it's nice and warm)

Presume this could be the level sensor playing up? I unplugged the connector and checked to make sure there was no corrosion and it all looked clean. Might just go away of it's own accord.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:34 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: GM900
Good work on switch. I had same problem with coolant low ended up going away. Gremlins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:53 pm 
UKS Addict

I finally caved in during October and have retired the 900 from active service driving me back and forth to work. Hopefully, it's not going anywhere other than a body shop, sooner rather than later. Essentially, driving it back and forth to work 5 days a week was nice enough but not really helping with the condition of the body and I can't afford to be without a car for any prolonged period of time.

The replacement came in the form of a late 2016 mini cooper s, which I will straight away admit was not what I actually wanted. I wanted a B58 engined bmw 3 series or smaller. I eventually gave that up as they were just too expensive for what they were and the fuel economy would have been pretty similar to the 900. I then moved on to the 2.0 4 cylinder B48 engined models and even they were too expensive, almost worse than the 3 litre 6 cylinder stuff as they came with less kit as standard and were only 1-2K cheaper at best. Then came the mini, B48 engined, came with most of the equivalent kit as the BMW, yet near 6K cheaper. A bit smaller, not my cup of tea in the looks department, but a far cry from truly ugly. At least it's a decent colour. I personally love the look of 2/3 door cars but they are a royal PITA to live with, so a 5 door was preferred. It's also my first venture into the world of automagic gearboxes, and I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed. I never really realised how much of a chore changing gear was in the 900 on my commute, it's probably the single biggest improvement over all. Fuel economy is the other big improvement, so far after just over a month driving it, I've achieved 38.5 mpg and that's with an average speed of just 30 as I'm almost always stuck in traffic.

Compared to the 900, the steering feels very twitchy which is probably what everyone likes, but I'm used to wallowy old barge handling, even with all the poly bushings and lowering springs. The audio system isn't as bad as expected, certainly a lot better than the stock saab system was. (That was truly dreadful) It's not a patch on the one I built though, but that will be improved in time. It is significantly easier to drive slowly and smoothly. The boot, even though it's bigger than the 3 door is still a bit pathetic when compared to a saab. It's actually fairly quick as standard even though it's supposed to be 190ish hp, it'll keep up with a stage 1 B204, but stage 3 has got the legs. It is tuneable but not in the same league as the B204, as the pistons are on par with those used in B2x5 engines. Designed for economy, which suits my usage.

Pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
Mini looks nice, hope you’re happy with it. Do you still have the 90 then or has it gone? Are you going to be keeping it as a project?

I remember seeing this one at Castle Coombe a few years back if I’m not mistaken, after reading about it on here. It’s a lovely car.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 am 
UKS Addict

The 900 is still here. I intend on getting it restored, however, storage is proving a little difficult. I did take the car to castle Combe 3 or 4 times around 2010-2012. Stopped going in the end due to work and wear & tear on the car.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am 
UKS Addict

Got through the MOT this year somehow. Maptun cat not doing so well getting through the emissions though. Even after being run hot, it only just passed. Got some body work to get sorted. Which have to happen in the coming months. Don't want to try pushing it through another winter in it's present state.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:09 pm 
UKS Addict

Noticed this week that there has been a distinct increase in "roar" from the engine bay that seems to be related to rpm. Based on the approximate position the noise is coming from and the fact that both idler pulleys were replaced with new genuine parts, I suspect it is the tensioner pulley so I've ordered a new one. Only other suspect would be the alternator.

Otherwise, ignoring the urgent need to get the corrosion nipped in the bud, the car has been behaving quite well. These are the only other niggles:-
1. Central locking on the drivers door is lazy and can be intermittent
2. Mid mud flaps are scraping far more than they ever used to, yet nothing has changed, making me wonder if my eibachs are beginning to sag or something.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Replacement tensioner arrived so provided the weekend has some dry weather, I'll be in a world of knuckle pain.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:12 am 
UKS Addict

Fitted the replacement belt tensioner today. Took an hour from start to finish, most of which was spent jiggling the thing about trying to get the old one out of the gap and the new one to go back in. Whilst it is possible to buy the pulley on it's own, it's not far of the same cost as a whole new tensioner and since it's nearly 25 years old, it made sense to just replace the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 900 96 drop top
As I am the only one that loves the GM 900 Kei's 900 is one of my favorite on the site. Sorry to the owners of more desirable Saabs but the GM 900s are the most underrated cars I know

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43