UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 SE Stage 3
Started cleaning up the old 17" wheels today. They are in a hell of a state considering they've only covered about 14,000 miles since I had them fully refurbished.

The powder coat is lifting all over the place and flaking off in a few patches, and this was on the best condition wheel that lived on the back. The valve stems not looking too good again either.

In other news, the hunt for the replacement engine mount isn't going well. Nowhere seems to stock anything other than pro parts. I've managed to find a febi part on amazon and a lemforder part elsewhere, but no doubt will end up being unavailable.
Got a full list of the equivalent parts and their numbers for replacing the saab part 4283750
Code:
Brand               Sku
FEBI BILSTEIN      15659
SWAG               57 13 0010
ORIGINAL IMPERIUM   37804
CORTECO            603303
HUTCHINSON         597047
OCAP               1225476
LEMFORDER            24599 01
PEX                  12.13.223
VAICO               V50-0034
FIRST LINE         FEM3436
SIDEM               861105
VEMO               V50-0034
KOIVUNEN OY         802-513750

Otherwise, the car has been working well taking me back and forth to cardiff each week.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Took the car in for it's service and mot this week. It failed again. More corrosion to sort out on the inner arches. :x It was also rather difficult to get through the emissions test too, which is odd as it has always passed with flying colours for the last 22 years. This is the first test since I stripped out the heatplates, so I am suspicious that it may have had quite an impact on the emissions and I may be needing more tweaks to the map. Possibly slightly leaner idle fuel map and more idle ignition advance.

In other news, the HEL braided lines have finally been fitted (after 7 years) and the transmission fluid has been drained, flushed and replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: GM900
Great to hear you finally got them lines fitted man lol, looks like your playing the game of chase the rot..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 234r 9-3 nail
Kei wrote:
Took the car in for it's service and mot this week. It failed again. More corrosion to sort out on the inner arches. :x It was also rather difficult to get through the emissions test too, which is odd as it has always passed with flying colours for the last 22 years. This is the first test since I stripped out the heatplates, so I am suspicious that it may have had quite an impact on the emissions and I may be needing more tweaks to the map. Possibly slightly leaner idle fuel map and more idle ignition advance.

In other news, the HEL braided lines have finally been fitted (after 7 years) and the transmission fluid has been drained, flushed and replaced.

mine is currently badly mapped (upped fuelling by a huge % around idle just to get it drivable) on 630cc injectors and no heatplates with a hefty misfire on occasion and it still passes easy... id be suspecting the cat

Corsa 1.5 "turdo"!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:20 pm 
UKS Addict

My map is still the original binary which contains quite a few differences in the tables compared to a post 1997 car without heatplates, particularly in relation to fuel, enrichment and lambda. Whether or not that makes any great difference, I don't know. The problem could well have been the garage trying to test it without having warmed it up a bit first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:55 pm 
UKS Addict

All passed on the MOT front now. Not sure on the emissions problems. Guess it simply wasn't warm enough at the time it was tested. The results on the pass were well within spec.
Code:
Fast Idle
CO   = 0.04%   MAX   = 0.3%
HC   = 9ppm   MAX   = 200ppm
λ   = 1.009   RANGE   = 0.97 - 1.03

Natural Idle
CO   = 0.12%   MAX   = 0.5%

Might tweak the idle map slightly as I'd guess that's what it failed on.

HEL lines were fitted and the transmission fluid changed too. The lines have definitely made a marked difference to pedal feel. It's much firmer than before, which surprised me a bit as I expected it to be a subtle difference. The transmission fluid change has made little difference as it was all good before. It may be just a little easier to get into first when cold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:11 am 
Saab Nut

Any updates?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:46 pm 
UKS Addict

I've been working 6 days a week since september hence the lack of any updates.

I'm pleased to say that things have been working nice and smoothly since the front end rebuild. Headlining is starting to show more significant signs of becoming more like a "classic 900". Fuel economy has definitely improved since changing the wheels and removing the heatplates. Up from an average of 28 to 30.

Otherwise, it's looking a bit scruffy as I've not had the time/inclination to clean it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Decided to investigate why the car had a misfire when I put my foot down on the way home on friday, as it's not the first time it had done it in the last couple of months. The fault was pretty obvious upon opening the bonnet, as one of the bolts holding the DI pack in place was hanging out and the others were all loose. They've now been reinstalled with a dab of loctite.

Took the time to take the DI to bits to check the condition. All looked ok, with no cracks in the transformer, coils or resin.

Plugs looked ok, possibly slightly dark deposits on the insulator but otherwise no issues. Still have the 0.9mm gap that I set in February last year.

Checking the ECU via T5 suite shows the knocks on each cylinder. The end of the DI that was very loose just happened to be cylinder 1 & 2.

I also took the opportunity to flash the updated map onto the ecu. The joys of AMD 29F010 chips and canusb means I don't have to take the ecu out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
I have absolutely no idea what the last part of this post means, but it sounds damned impressive!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:01 pm 
Saab Nut

Think you best let cylinder 1 in for a cuppa ! Checked the springs in the coil is ok? Friend of mine had 1 spring missing in his black di so pinched one out a spare red i had.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 pm 
UKS Addict

Yep all springs present and accounted for thankfully. I just can't believe how far out the bolts on the DI had managed to get. There was literally one turn left on the one before it would have escaped. I always keep a spare DI in the boot and a full set of spare plugs just in case.

I also discovered that the map I flashed onto the ecu was not the most recent update. The most recent copy was sitting on my desktop not my laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:08 pm 
UKS Addict

Blooming idler pulley has gone and seized. Thankfully I noticed it sounded chubby terrible and stopped it whilst still in the car park at work, literally seconds after it went quiet. Now stranded in work waiting for the aa. Belt is OK but the pulley is toast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 pm 
UKS Addict

New pulley and belt fitted. Going to be buying a replacement for the other idler and possibly the tensioner too, although the garage suggested the pulleys run freely. The delay between the shrieking bearings and complete seizure was around 3 minutes. I got from floor 9 in the multi story car park to floor 2 where I had to park fast as the pulley had seized on floor 3.

Last edited by Kei on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Ordered a new middle idler earlier this week just to be on the safe side. THG parts came good with a genuine part at a sensible price.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:16 pm 
UKS Addict

Changed the centre idler pulley this morning. Pretty easy job all told, just a 13mm spanner required to undo the bolt. Much easier with the air box out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:32 pm 
UKS Addict

In the snow, which is still getting deeper.

If anything, the colour really comes to life in the snow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm 
Saab Nut

Vibrant ! You can bypass that pulley and run the belt across the power steering pump to the tensioner pulley.

We had very little to no snow, wrap up and stay indoors !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:10 pm 
UKS Addict

I read about that short belt mod, some reports suggested that the short belt mod can cause some slipping on the power steering pump pulley. The old centre idler was still running perfectly smoothly, I just changed it as a precaution after the left idler seized. I've kept the old one just in case.

I cleared the snow off the car this morning and it's already back as it was.

In other news, I forgot to say, I obtained a tin of hammerite smooth silver last week which I'll be using to redo my calipers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:54 pm 
UKS Addict

Resumed the work on cleaning up my spare set of rear calipers. After many hours grinding off the old red paint and rust. These ones will be getting a coat of silver.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next