UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2008 93 aero, noob'd
yeah same here, nice and toasty and a chisel and hammer combo to move them

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:18 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 SE Stage 3
I'll probably live without the dust shield for now and fit a new one further down the line. Just need to get the thing roadworthy again which is proving to be a little more involved than I was hoping. Seems that the angle at which I clobbered this kerb is the main reason for the severity of the damage. I'm just praying that the rack itself survived ok as replacing that will be pretty expensive being as it's an early ZF rack not the more common saginaw. They believe that the drive shaft is ok thankfully.

It seems that the garage have a 9-3 parts car that they are robbing bits from, but obviously the knuckle itself and everything above it in the strut is different on the 9-3. Thankfully the steering arms and sub-frame are all the same. I'm lucky to have a decent array of spare NG900 parts. (much to my parents annoyance) I'm hoping that the knuckle I've got has a good wheel bearing now.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
I've run my 9-3 without dust covers for a few years without problems.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:55 pm 
UKS Addict

Finished up today with several coats of etch primer. No idea how long it'll last, but I'm hoping at least another year or two. Also discovered that my zinc primer and satin black sprays have had it as they just sputter large blobs of paint now.

Last edited by Kei on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:28 am 
UKS Addict

More news on the car. Tried to fit my poly bushes for the front anti roll bar and found that once removed, the bar could no longer be refitted as it was obviously bent so I'm now having the bar off a diesel 9-3 fitted as that is what was on hand. I'll probably replace it again further down the road with another 24mm bar but definitely no rush to do so as I need the car by next week so I can go off to gogledd cymru for a well earned holiday.

Wheels are getting fresh rubber tomorrow morning. Went with michelin crossclimate in 195/60R15 92V in the end. Cost a few bob but hopefully worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2004, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
Kei wrote:
Finished up today with several coats of etch primer. No idea how long it'll last, but I'm hoping at least another year or two. Also discovered that my zinc primer and satin black sprays have had it as they just sputter large blobs of paint now.

Are you planning on leaving the etch coat bare?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:40 pm 
UKS Addict

No, I had planned on spraying it with some zinc primer and then satin black, but found that those other sprays had been sitting around too long. I gave it to the garage who have finished it off by sprayed it black for me. No idea what they've finished it with mind.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:13 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2004, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
Just for the future; Etch just needs a thin coat because it's not a filler primer it's a very thin and watery base prep for stuff like Aluminium to bite into the metal and give the next layer some purchase, you still need a hi-build over the top to fill in the imperfections, also it's pointless going over it with Zinc or Galv paint as they should go directly onto bare metal. If they've used a 2k base or a 2k clear it'll be okay for all but the most harsh grit and stone impacts, better than OEM anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 pm 
UKS Addict

Cheers for the pointers, that'll be useful for doing my camcover as I bought the etch for doing that job. I did the first coat very lightly and then a second coat slightly thicker. Sanded some of it around the edges of the spring seat and then gave it another three coats.

I'm dreading doing the camcover as I want to do it in body colour with a good finish. I hate painting.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:42 am 
UKS Addict

Dropped the wheels off this morning after having the new michelin crossclimates fitted. First time I've seen the car since it went in back at the end of april. Looks a lot better than it did. Wing is still not sitting right, nor is the sill cover. Brought the knackered alloy back home with me, it's well gone, gashes in the tyre where it hit the arch a large chunk broken off the outer edge of the alloy and a fair bash to the inner edge too. I'll post some photos of that after lunch.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:34 pm 
UKS Addict

The bust rim. Lots of cuts into the tread on the tyre too.

I've put the broken off chunk in a hole that I found in the sidewall, where something has cut all the way through. Bash on the inner edge of the alloy I reckon is from the stanchion arm where it bent downwards.

Had a good look back through my old posts and found one from when I swapped to the 17's. Seems I weighed them at 20Kg, just weighed this one at a little over 21Kg, which makes these a shade under 6Kg heavier than the old 15" wheels which weighed just over 15Kg. I think that's likely a difference I am going to notice.

Last edited by Kei on Sat May 27, 2017 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 234r 9-3 nail
bit o chemical metal it'll be a'ight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:42 pm 
UKS Addict

Well the car is now sorted with the alignment checked. Annoyingly, I've got to go and collect it from Cardiff tomorrow morning and sods law say's the champions league guff is on over the weekend, oh joy. :wall: Only good thing is that the roads I need are still open.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Jules'd 9-3 vert, 9-5 Arc Est
That's good to hear, did the liner fit?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:17 pm 
UKS Addict

Not tried it yet, it's still stashed in the shed along with the mud flap. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't though. I'll be looking into it after my holiday to north wales next week. Should be a good shake down trip for the car.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Got the car back today. Total garage bill to fix it was £492 plus the £335 spent on tyres and other parts, so around £830 all in. Could have saved a few bob by getting a used 17" alloy and just getting a tyre for that but having now driven it with the 15" wheels back on, it has totally transformed the car. Only ever used those wheels with the P6000's fitted which I hated, these crossclimates seem very nice and they only have about 15 miles on them. Remarkably smooth, quiet and comfortable, yet they don't feel squidgy either. I should also get decent fuel economy and mileage out of them too.

Gave it a good wash and hoover along with reinstalling all of the drivers footwell sound deadening and under dash panelling that's been out of the car since july last year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: GM900
Great news kyle, still looks spankin,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Got a good thorough test today on a long drive up to Corwen, North Wales.

Last edited by Kei on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:45 pm 
UKS Addict

300 miles covered over the last week. All working great and I've managed around 33mpg so far, including a lot of up hill and down dale driving on north wales' finest skinny roads. The car is absolutely filthy now though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 2007 Tid vert 93 2000 vert
That's a fine looking car, that green is mesmerising.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next