UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:53 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4,
Impressive progress :shock:

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:40 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
Thanks Jim,

Things took a slightly different direction today. I decided to do a proper job on the brake calipers as well, they were going to look very grubby in the wheel arches with the rest of the work done. So I had four fronts and four backs , I spent some time to select the best two of each and stripped them right down for powder coating. The springs have also been sent for the same treatment.

Then turned to do all the bushes in the swing arm after cleaning them for painting. These are trickier than I thought they would be. The leading ones are easy enough as are the upper rose joints but the rose joint on the lower part of the swing arm are tricky for space. None of my sockets would fit so I am still on the hunt for a suitable socket or similar. Then I can see the same problem for pulling it in. Because my large socket also doesn't fit in the space. So far this job is partially finished.

Spent a lot of the day running around looking for tools and stuff to get a clearer run tomorrow.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:12 pm 
Saab Nut

Magrew wrote:
Magrew wrote:
So, I have two weeks leave coming up, starting on Saturday. For once I have planned ahead and ordered up parts for an onslaught on the car.

The plan is to run the mechanical refresh alongside the body repairs, prep and paint so that I can get it as close to complete over the two weeks as I can. Jobs lined up are:-

1. Cut out and repair the areas of rotten metal
2. Replace bushes in the rear swing arms rear swing arms removed, main bearings removed, control arm bearings yet to be removed. Update - Main bushes installed, top rose joints removed and installed, scratching my head for the lower rose joints
3. Replace fuel tank straps
4. Replace flexi brake hoses existing unions very corroded planning to replace more than just flexis Update - trying to chase down a friendly UKSaaber to lend me his flaring tool
5. Break down and rebuild front and back suspension with new shocks suspension broken down, sourcing a couple of items for replacement. Update - Springs sent for powder coating, some replacement parts have arrived but bottom spacer plates (the originals had basically become powder) are on order from Saabits
6. Refurb front subframe subframe ready for paint
7. Fit replacement power steering pipes old pipes removed, replacement pipes being prepared for treatment and paint prior to fitting
8. Fit replacement oil cooler pipes old pipes removed, new pipes prepped and painted
9. Fit replacement ACC condenser old condenser removed, bolt needs to be drill out of drier. Update
- ECP who have taken my money for the replacement condenser are struggling to source one. :?

10. Fit replacement brake disc dust shields
11. Tidy up brakes front brakes been prepped, rears will be replaced with spare set I already own. Update - stripped brakes down fully and sent for powder coating.
12. Reassemble front and rear subframes and refit
13. Fit new wishbone
14. Refit interior
15. Prep underbody and wheel arches, paint and underseal front offside arch prepped apart from suspension towers because drill packed up. Update - New drill purchased prepping finished, zinc primer to be applied tomorrow.
16. Refit all body panels also after prep, paint and underseal
17. Install key and test drive
18. Take for MOT.
Jobs added to the plan
19. Replace rigid brake pipes where unions were so seized that they had to be cut :wall:
20. Drilling out a number of random fixings that had become very attached to the vehicle after nearly 20 years
21. Sourcing suitable replacements for the aforementioned fixings
22. Cleaning up and repairing lots of things that I had no intention in doing but now feel it needs doing since other things are going to look so tidy
23. Putting more resilient paint on the new front swing arms and the new shock absorbers because Ithe crap paint that is on them is already showing damage and I don't want to be doing this job again any time soon.

With luck, and some effort, hoping to have that complete in 2 weeks.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 pm 
Saab Nut

Just a couple of bits of today's work. Almost ready for paint (apart from the before comparison). Just a bit of dremel work to finish them off. Those hub carriers had a general coating of about 1/8 inch of corrosion. Quite a messy day with a wire brush on the grinder.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:18 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: C900S LPT Vert, 99 GL, 96 V4,
Aim high young man :wink:

My targets are less onerous these days :roll:

Cheers

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:06 pm 
Saab Nut

Aye, aye Jim. You still have some project work sitting there.

Here is part of today's work. Front wheel arches and suspension turrets taken back to bare metal where they were showing any surface corrosion and then 2 coats of Electrox.

All the other work was priming parts before refit. It is nice to get on to the reconstruction after 4 days of deconstruction and in some cases destruction!!;

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:23 pm 
Saab Nut

Oh, I also had some fun with quite a large electrolysis bath. The truth will come out tomorrow.

It has been on a rolling simmer all day today. If this turns out like the YouTube videos I will be delighted. I set it up to do the bits I can't reach with my grinding and wire brush tools. Image

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 pm 
Saab Nut

Electrolysis works well. Very pleased by the results but here is the picture of my test pieces. One cleaned with electrolysis, the other set as a control. I used them to judge when to take my parts out.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:58 pm 
Saab Nut

The rest of my day was spent painting the parts that were electrolysed with Hydrate 80.

Then completing the bush replacements for the swing arm. Those lower ones are tricky for access. I had to find a short section of pipe and a convolution of bars and threaded rod. But hey ho, job is done.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:21 pm 
Saab Nut

So the welding started today.

I have started on the areas underneath first, hopefully by the time I work my way up I will, have learned the nuances of the new to me welder. Unfortunately no pictures again. I have sorted the areas on the main chassis leg, all going surprisingly well to plan at the moment.

The plan is to have the welding complete by the end of Monday and then move into paint and reassemble. Let's see if the plan is realised.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:43 am 
Saab Nut

Running a little bit behind where I wanted to be, I was persuaded to take Sunday off and lost a fair bit of time today chasing down parts.

A lot of painting has happened however

Magrew wrote:

1. Cut out and repair the areas of rotten metallower chassis legs have been done. Wheel wells, boot floor, spare wheel well and minor cill sections yet to be done
2. Replace bushes in the rear swing arms done and swing arms painted
3. Replace fuel tank straps
4. Replace flexi brake hoses managed to split rear unions at the main rigid pipes, but it is clear that these have been replaced at some time since they had 11mm unions which made it more possible to split them.
5. Break down and rebuild front and back suspension with new shocks suspension broken down, sourcing a couple of items for replacement. Update - Springs sent for powder coating, some replacement parts have arrived but bottom spacer plates (the originals had basically become powder) are on order from Saabits
6. Refurb front subframe done
7. Fit replacement power steering pipes done
8. Fit replacement oil cooler pipes old pipes removed, new pipes prepped and painted
9. Fit replacement ACC condenser old condenser removed, bolt needs to be drill out of drier. Update
- ECP still struggling to confirm supply

10. Fit replacement brake disc dust shields
11. Tidy up brakes front brakes been prepped, rears will be replaced with spare set I already own. Update - stripped brakes down fully and sent for powder coating.
12. Reassemble front and rear subframes and refit
13. Fit new wishbone
14. Refit interior
15. Prep underbody and wheel arches, paint and underseal front offside arch prepped apart from suspension towers because drill packed up. Update - New drill purchased prepping finished, zinc primer to be applied tomorrow.
16. Refit all body panels also after prep, paint and underseal
17. Install key and test drive
18. Take for MOT.
Jobs added to the plan
19. Replace rigid brake pipes where unions were so seized that they had to be cut :wall:
20. Drilling out a number of random fixings that had become very attached to the vehicle after nearly 20 years
21. Sourcing suitable replacements for the aforementioned fixings
22. Cleaning up and repairing lots of things that I had no intention in doing but now feel it needs doing since other things are going to look so tidy
23. Putting more resilient paint on the new front swing arms and the new shock absorbers because Ithe crap paint that is on them is already showing damage and I don't want to be doing this job again any time soon.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:59 pm 
Saab Nut

Absolutely baltic in the garage today. Finally gave in and bought one of these.

It made a difference so I continued the prep for the welding. I have taken the decision to prep all areas and repair panels first and then use tigerseal with the welds over a weld through primer, I think this will give the best long term protection.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:12 pm 
Saab Nut

So with that bit of warmth I decided to tackle the offside dogleg first.

I figured this would be a complex little panel with a number of curves and a roll over on the edge so why not get the tricky part over first?

I tried to keep the cuts neat because I could see looking through the perforated area of the sill that apart from the trailing edge of the sill it was actually in good shape just a few inches in.

I settled on this smallish area

I have left the corroded outer wheel arch panel in place for reference at this stage. It will also be prepped and worked in its turn.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 pm 
Saab Nut

Unfortunately I could not get the panel out whole for reference because the spot welds could not be spotted well through the corrosion so the edges were chiselled out and then the welds ground back.

Now on to the learning point. I have never made a complex panel in my life before. Previously I have only done flat patches in floors so this was going to be a bit of an adventure for me.

I took care getting the cardboard template to be a good fit but there were guesses on how I would deal with the angle for the kink on the lower side and get the correct curl to come up the outer edge of the dog leg. But the area that had me scratching my head most was creating the 90 degree return on part of the trailing edge.

It took about 30 minutes of folding and hammering but the end result married up well.

If the rest go as well as this one I will count myself lucky. The parts under the car on the chassis legs are all flat patch panels so we're a doddle compared to this one.

Jaguar XJ6

Last edited by Magrew on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm 
Saab Nut

I then cut away to better metal around the outer section of the wheel arch.

This is completely hidden behind the plastic liner so I am planning to do this as a flanged patch panel. That will give all the strength of the original but will also make it easier to get a good covering of seam sealer on the new weld and also down the mating face to the C-pillar.

I haven't cut or made the panel yet, that will be part of tomorrow's fun.

Jaguar XJ6

Last edited by Magrew on Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 pm 
Saab Nut

While I was nice and warm I decided to get torn into the worst area on the car. The ragged bottom to the offside inner wheelarch.

This is a nasty area with an awkward shape. It also includes a fixing point for the inner liner. To accommodate that I decided to cut a little higher on the mid section to ensure that fixing had some fresh new metal around it.

On the plus side there is a nice brace internally here as well so that will allow me to do plug welds on either side of the brace.

The plan is to do a joggled flange on the upper edge and to do plug welds on the lower edge. This should also allow the best benefit for the weld through primer and a full coverage of seam sealer away from the welds.

Jaguar XJ6

Last edited by Magrew on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:50 pm 
Saab Nut

I was also doing some further painting in between welding and prepping.

So I now have the rear shock turrets and the radiator support brackets treated and painted ready for reassembly along with the hub carriers and swing arm mounts.

They are all now sitting alongside the front and rear subframes, with swing arms. All patiently awaiting reassembly. I forgot to take pictures though.

I did get a picture of the front wheel arches however after their two coats of Waxoyl. With luck this will prevent them corroding again for a, while.

That reminds me of the challenge tomorrow, to split the unions on those flexi brake pipes ready for the new ones on reassembly. I am predicting that is going to lead to some new sections of brake pipe because I think those original unions will be seized.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:28 pm 
Saab Nut

On a side point. While I have been working in Edinburgh this week I have been using the Jag.

So I refer to this car as the Great Pretender. It keeps on lighting up the dash like Saturday Night Fever saying that there are a multitude of things wrong with it on the info display and gets its knickers in a twist and has little tantrums. This is an very intermittent issue and some times the car will go for a month or two with no problems and then goes into a period of being annoying. So when I finished up at 8 and went to go for my 15 minute drive home, the damn thing wouldn't even start. For this reason I always have a code reader in the car. Usually it is just a case of read the codes and whichever random code that turns up clear it and make your way home.

Tonight it wouldn't even communicate with the ECU or any other module but when I then disconnected the reader I thought I would give it one last try before opting to take Big Red home instead. Guess what it fired right up with no warning lights at all on the dash and drove home with no issues.

If anyone has any advice on this issue I would be pleased to hear it. The boys on the Jag forum confirm that many have similar issues but there is no absolute cure I have come across yet. I have checked the earths and many connections, they appear to resolve things for a brief while but then it comes back. As it does for a number on the Jag forum.

Jaguar XJ6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:03 pm 
Saab Nut

I should have done this piece in 3 and then joined them with a butt weld but being ever the optimist I decided to do it in one.

It took a lot of work on the car to get this as a nice tight fit. Happy with the end result however.

Jaguar XJ6

Last edited by Magrew on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:29 pm 
Saab Nut

A lot of distractions from the workshop today but I did get the calipers reassembled.

I should have taken a before photo, the transformation is quite amazing. Image

Jaguar XJ6

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next