UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:08 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9 5
Saw this advertised locally so had to have a look, it was owned by an older gentleman that spent the most of his time in the USA so the car only was driven 2-3k miles a year. It was originally a London car but ended up over here he had it for 2 1/2 years. Car was very dirty covered in green but was turbine smooth on the road, engine gearbox were perfect no bangs rattles and very quiet.

After two hours of cleaning inside and out got it looking presentable again, now to sort the problems, drivers side window was not working, mirrors are not working, engine light was on. There were also a number of bits missing the rear badge, the pipe on the throttle body anybody any idear where it goes to is it connected to the brake booster? The gear shifter is missing something, any idea how to fix, and the tool kit is missing there is a jack and handle but I dont belive they belong to the car can anybody help with a picture of what should be in there.

Also the reversing sensors appear to be after market and are not working, were they not standard on the Vector

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm 
Active user

I traded in my 1998 9 5 at the start of the year on a scrapeage deal, but having owned a 9 5 for 16 years luckily I have an idea how they work and most known problems, the window was loose dropping down so recognized that as a broken green roller, luckily had a spare in the shed ten minutes later problem sorted. Disconnected the battery as the owner told me he left the petrol cap behind him at a garage some time ago he did get a new one but the engine light was still on, ten minutes reconnected light off. Mirrors not so easy there is no power to the fuse or at the switch.

Future plans - I have already ordered the parts to service both the engine and gearbox, two new badges for bonnet and boot, a drive belt, change the brake fluid. The owner also said the back tyres were wearing unevenly so maybe some bushes are needed but will try an MOT first.

The tyres are good brands but the fronts are not super so may change them what are you guys using now. Will get the DA polisher out tomorrow and try to correct the paintwork lots of swirls and small scratches.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:58 am 
Active user

OK think I have answered most of my own questions, have figured out the tool kit, gear selector, being an auto there is no pipe in the red insert on the throttle body. Unfortunately the engine light has come back on with a lumpy idle stuck in my ELM27 and loaded up Torque Pro and got the P1230 fault. Hoping with the lack of use a good dose of injector cleaner and a throttle body clean might sort it. Posted of the V5 to DVLA swansea so have to wait a bit before it goes on the road, which suits me anyway too close to end of month and it will take that to get it serviced ect, also have emailed noobtune to get a stage 1.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:46 pm 
Active user

Its official we are on the road taxed insured and 2 months MOT left. Have given the engine a service oil filters plugs, new boot and bonnet badge replaced the jalousie in the gear selector and replaced the ECU with a stage 1 noobtune.
So whats it like? well its bloody awful, feels like the rear end is hanging off, last owner did mention having to replace rear tires as they were wearing unevenly not surprised its a bit of a death trap. Have ordered 2 radius arm bushes and 4 axle bushes to tighten it up, the shocks are also done front end is very floaty, last 9-5 was poly bushed but like the smoothness of the standard set up so staying stock for everything, well maybe B6's when the time comes. The engine is so smooth and torquey, gearbox a bit clunky in first couple of gears and when changing down to first but the oil is old so a change will sort that. Nice to be back in a big SAAB again, glad of it with the freezing weather this week my Hyundai Santa Fe takes forever to heat up not the 9-5. Haven't had a chance to try full power yet roads are wet and salty and with that unpredictable handling will wait.
One thing when starting cold it revs to 2.5k revs for a minute before dropping down to 1200 rpm surely that cant be right.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 pm 
Active user

Changed the oil in transmission 3 1/2 liters was what it took, has made a big difference no clunkiness when changing down, ordered a filter but will send it back as you have to split the gearbox to get at it I believe. Pulled the rear suspension arms out and replaced the bushes, someone had changed them not that long ago but must have used cheap ebay items they were like jelly, the radius arm bushes were quite good but thought I would change them in case they came from the same supplier the others came from, everything cleaned, painted, back in, bleed brakes. Glad I did this as the offside rear tire was down to canvas on the inside, shame as they are a good quality tire. Took it for a test run and it has helped a lot, now for the shocks the left rear is so soft you can feel it on the road.
Going to drive it for a month or so to see if anything goes wrong and put it in for MOT. Then depending on that will replace lower ball joints track rod ends then shocks. Like the softish ride but need to tighten it up. Has anyone fitted B6's with standard springs?

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:15 pm 
Active user

Think I sorted the poor handling offside rear was down to 15 psi, a slow puncture or its leaking somewhere along the inside where the canvas is showing anyway two winter tires will go on the rear at the end of the month, also the engine light came back on ELM27 and Torque app again showed throttle body but sorted that easily. Hopefully the only bill in the future will be new shocks, so far its looking like a good buy for 300 quid. :D

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:01 pm 
Active user

OK quick update managed to sort the high reving on cold starts, swopped over the wheels and tyres from the wifes vert which has been parked up for the winter, another big improvement but still terribly soft at the rear and very darty at he front don't remember my old 9-5 being that sharp but then again it was a 1998 and the suspensions were updated, still need to put it in for a four wheel alighment.
Heading into work last night stopped at the lights for a good ten seconds and felt the wallop from behind some dick ran into me, he hadn't even the wit to reverse had to ask him to go back to examine the damage. Luckily the towbar saved me bit of scratch on the bumper but his grill was cracked. Serves him right, I know I only paid 300 of my hard earned but intend to keep this one for a very long time was ripping. :x

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:27 pm 
Active user

Went for a full alignment this morning and was shocked how far out the rear was, we were able to loosen the nuts and move the front of the radius arm in enough to come back to where it should be. No surprise handling was so bad this should be a warning to anyone after working on the rear.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:52 pm 
Active user

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:32 am 
Active user

Just picked up a fresh MOT this week, no advisories and put two new all season tyres on the front. Otherwise its pretty faultless - nothing, not a squeak rattle or bang. The radio sound quality is not as good as my old 98 car but will put up with it. Its not even as hard on fuel as I was expecting SID is showing 28 mpg + average on a 6 mile commute and over 30 on a run, haven't worked it out by the tankful yet but I am not disappointed. Looks like a good buy very happy.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 pm 
Active user

I have spent the last few evenings researching dampers for a 9 5 as a set are badly needed. Firstly I am well aware the eibach B8 setup is the top set up but at 700 quid by the time you take in top mounts ect I cant justify it for a 300 pound car.
Do I buy a set of B4's £225 for a standard setup or go for the PFS Lesjofors standard lowering kit £297. I have read nothing but negative reports on the B4's however they relate to people fitting them to aeros, also PFS have been advertising the Lesjofors for at least 10 years so they cant be that bad.
Has anyone here fitted these to a standard chassis and what are your thoughts?

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:59 pm 
Active user

At last a car that can be driven with a bit of enthusiasm, new spring and four shocks have at last given me the car I wanted. Just two rear tires and a thermostat needed to finish it off, occasionally its sticking then throwing an engine fault, I have two somewhere in the garage just need to find them.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:22 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 Sportwagen TiD
What shocks did you go for in the end? I have a very floaty 9-3 I am thinking needs some suspension upgrades so am interested to know how you got on

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:05 pm 
Active user

Its been some time since I have been on here as nothing has gone wrong car has been perfect, however today it died. Tried to start it, it idled badly for a few seconds then died again and wouldn't start. Got a tow home and stuck in the ELM27 which gave a fuel pump fault. Luckily had one in the garage swapped it over car started but idled at 2500rpm, checked the throttle body and it was in limp mode reset it and tried to start it but nothing. Wont kick at all, changed the DIC same, rev counter is moving as it cranks so not CPS and there are no faults showing.
Suspect its the fuel pump, had to pull off the plastic pipe on the pump which I suspect may not have sealed correctly, will use a rubber hose in the morning and try it.

Wilsala The shocks were standard shocks from one of the usual SAAB parts suppliers, perfectly fine in normal use, push it on or drive a back road and they are useless, do I regret not fitting Eibachs yes every single day but these were a 1/3 of the price and ok for everyday use, they fall down badly when I use the noob tuned ECU. :park: Really didnt want to spend a lot on it but hey ho.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:21 pm 
Active user

Yep fuel pump old plastic pipe obviously wasnt sealing correctly replaced it with a rubber pipe and started first turn of the key.

Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Jeep GC