UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96TT/900S Cabrio/9-3SW Aero
Combined indicator/flasher/dipswitch (from a V4) fitted & wired to the headlight circuits via a V4 relay - setup works well & headlights are definitely brighter. New alternator copes well with the load - ammeter shows positive charging even with heads on main beam.
Heater bypassed using a new 19mm hose directly between the inline thermostat & the bottom of the radiator. Considering having the rad re-cored and/or fitting an electric fan.
I'm taking a break from doing stuff on him for the time being - will just drive & enjoy!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:18 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1974 Silver 2dr 99 EMS
Hi David,

May I ask what electric pump you went for please?
I have stripped the dynapump on mine and replaced the o'ring because it was rock hard, flipped the base seal over, because it was quite deeply grooved and i'm getting a steady drip now, which is better than the constant trickle I had before. :*)
Soooooo, I've been thinking of fitting an electric water pump instead, even if just as a temporary measure.

Thanks
Will

p.s, you mention SSK a few times in regards to spare parts. Who's that? :?:

1964 96 Bullnose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Apologies for not spotting your post earlier - other things have taken priority of late. The electric water pump fitted to Erik is a 12V boat pump; details of which are in a box somewhere in my Saab-Spares hut at the bottom of the garden! I'll try to find it; I should also have the invoice/receipt somewhere in my filing system so there is hope! The inlet & outlet are 19mm so "standard" heater hose is a good fit.
"SSK" is the acronym for the Svenska Saab Klubben, which has a good range of spares &, at around £20 a year for membership, is very good value. The spares guys are really helpful. Best to lòok it up via Google, which translates the website into English (the club's version isn't quite complete & can be frustrating to use).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:55 pm 
UKS Addict

Still haven't found the instruction leaflet, which is definitely somewhere in the spares hut. I have found the eBay printout - I bought it from Mack Engineering (info@mackengineering.co.uk) in March 2010, at a total cost of £139 inc p&p, a couple of weeks after I bought the car! I also have a printout from Aquafax (the manufacturer?) In Luton. They describe it as a circulation pump, CM30P7-1, 12V, stock # 10-24504-03. It pumps 26 litres/minute & draws a max current of 2.2A.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:56 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1974 Silver 2dr 99 EMS
Thanks for getting back to me David.
I must admit, since fitting a different design of seal in the original dynopump, there hasn't been any signs of leaks.
I'm going to drain the system and fill up with antifreeze mix now and see how that goes. If it's going to leak, it'll be once it has antifreeze in it the system instead of just water.

If it starts leaking again, then an electric pump will probably be my next option.

Thanks again.

Will

1964 96 Bullnose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 am 
UKS Addict

Thanks for your comments, Will. Could you let me (us) know what make/type/part number seal you fitted to the water pump end of your dynamo? If I can find and fit one, there'll be a fully-refurbished, working item on offer to fellow stroker-owners. I'm definitely sticking with my alternator + electric water pump mods and considering an electric fan as well for those summer trips to Saab events. The heater is currently disconnected/bypassed and removed as the controller was leaking badly and is now completely fubar (destroyed by me whilst dismantling it!). New one, on the SSK website, is a bit expensive, as is the Chinese-sourced one on eBay.