UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 pm 

Car Model: 9-5, 172 & 944
I'm quite lazy ao this is going to be my introdction and "build" thread all in one.

I'm Toby, I'm 30 and I live in Wolverhampton

I've not really had many cars, compared to some, but I dont o things by half when I get one.
Amongst a couple of minis and other polos, these three have been my main cars.

My 1st car (on the road) was this 93 polo, which I bought completely standard and spent 7 years perfecting.

Nothing was left untouched, 95% of the work done by myself, including respray.

Then, after 7 years of that I wanted something more drivable.

This actually brings me to now, I still have this car, it is currently my daily (until the Saab is on the road)
PH1 Renault Sport Clio 172 Exclusive

I've gone one step too far with it now to daily it really.
All joints underneath are now exposed rose joints, that along with solid top mounts and every bush ever replaced with powerflex.. lol
Oh, and I didnt fancy semi slicks in snow.

This isnt my only "project" car though
Because having a daily turned track car isnt enough, I have a long term build/track car too.

87 Porsche 944 which currently looks like this

This will be a full track themed build.
So totally stipped, caged, F/G panels etc. I'm trying to drop a VR6 turbo in aswell, see how that pans out though.

Another reason the Clio wasnt ideal, lugging tools too and from the unit was starting to take its toll, needed something with a bigger boot.

In comes the Saab

Originally wanted a E46 touring, until I got some insurance quotes. No thanks.
Then this thing came up local for a good price, was hard to say no.

It's an 04 Vector 2.2TiD with 140K
I paid £350 for it, it had less than a months MOT which was a bit of a gamble, however it passed with just a handful of advisories.
So for £380 I have a car with 12.5 months MOT, not bad IMO.

Advisories - rear suspension bush worn
Rear brakes worn/handbrake fluxuating
Fuel lines corroded.

As you can probably see, drivers window is broke and the gears are all pretty sloppy, it really doesnt like going into 2nd.

1st things 1st though, as soon as I got it into the unit, this had to go

Nokia hands free, byeeee

Bought rear pads and discs from Euro, what could go wrong?

So, tackled the window instead

Possibly the cheapest fix I've ever had on any car, that. £2.50.

Following day my mate managed to find me some discs from a supplier of his (on a Sunday)
So I got them all back together

Went to test drive it, but the battery had died. Annoying, I suspect theres a problem with this but I'll get round to that another time.

Now, sloppy gears.
Torque bar seemed to have some play so ordered some powerflex bushes to pop in there.

Great work Saab/GM :park:

Managed to push this bush out with my thumb, it was absolutely ruined.

Far better, and for less than a standard replacement.

Still not driven it so I' unsure what difference it will have made to the gears, but I also oticed a LOT of play in the linkage so I've ordered the uprated bush kit from Abbott Racing Motorsport in the hope that solves the sloppy gears. In the most part atleast, I suspect every possible issue that could cause it will need doing, so the other mounts and the subframe bushes. They will just have to wait though, as this cheap daily is begininng not to be so cheap haha.

Saying that, I was on the verge of buying lowering springs and shocks when I ordered the linkage bushes earlier. Must resist, for now.

This is the 1st car I've owned with actual usable cuphoders, I'm quite excited to use them :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:36 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 2x 99GL, Jag XF & Fiat 500
Welcome to UKS :D

You had somehow managed to post this in ''Cars for sale'' so I have moved your post to ''Your Cars''.

By the way, a very good first post. Keep up the progress reports.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:18 am 

Espin99 wrote:
Welcome to UKS :D

You had somehow managed to post this in ''Cars for sale'' so I have moved your post to ''Your Cars''.

By the way, a very good first post. Keep up the progress reports.

Yeah god knows how I managed that, I realised after I posted it when it took me to cars for sale.

Cheers, I do love making a good build thread haha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:52 pm 

So these turned up friday..

Stripped it all down today and swapped these in.

Old ones were pretty buggered

Defo leaking oil from somehwere, everything is covered in it.

Still not managed to drive it as it's blocked in at the unit.
But just from selecting the gears it feels far better, less like stiring porridge.

Gave the interior a good clean today, has turned out really good.
Quality of everything (besides switches) is surpringly good.

Keys that came with it were in a bit of a state, rubber coating coming off and al sticky.

Went straight onto ebay to find something to spruce them up a little.

2x silicone key covers and a keyring I found amusing.

Should have insurance sorted by tomorrow all being well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:47 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
I'm going to enjoy checking back onto this thread as I too run a diesel 9-5 daily. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:12 pm 

Been a little busy with this over the past 2 weeks.

So after doing the above work, the battery died somehow, charged it up but didnt put it back in for a few days as I didnt need the car and I wasnt over at the unit at any point.

Really really struggled to start when I did get over there, and was in limp mode once it did get started.
Also I lost the radio, so that needed to be re-married with Tech2

Got it plugged in, these were the codes

Decided to strip upper inlet and EGR to see what was what.
Stupidly took no photos of how bad this sensor was before, but it was an absolute state

Inside of inlet

Removed the EGR, wasnt too bad and all moved freely. Cleaned it anyway and popped that back in, forgot to get a pic of this too.
Drove it back from the unit and MY GOD it felt like a completely different car.

Week went by and all was fine, until tuesday, just after Id just had it plugged into tech2 for stereo, it went into limp when i was at about 4k in 3rd.

More codes...

VNT issue possibly?
Boost leak maybe, although no noise and no smoke, also only seems to jump into limp occasionally.

Last night I cleaned the turbo sing the Mr Muscle oven cleaner trick.
However the VNT thing was already moving freely so I'm not sure it made any difference.

On the drive back I managed to drive it quite hard, held it on the limiter to help burn some of the Austin Allegro out of the turbo, didnt go into limp mode once eaither. Maybe it was just stocking randomly and this helped prevent it from getting worse? Vac leak/issue maybe?
Who knows, I'll have to wait and see if it happens again.

Whilst I've been driving it for a couple of weeks, Id noticed it was knocking a vibrating a lot on gear changes/pulling off/letting off etc.
Thought right, engine mounts, not sure which so ordered all 3, then did more research and realised it could be subframe bushes too. ordered new ones of them aswell whilst I was there.

Yesterday I cracked on with changing those, starting with the subframe bushes, and ending at the 2 rear subframe bushes.

Yep they were buggered

Trying to do these like this....

Was hellish, after inspecting the others, seeing they looked fine and realising how dificult it would be without a ramp, I just did those 2.
BUT... It's cured the problem almost entirely just from them.
Theres a little bit of movement in the engine now but nothing excesive, and its no longer knocking or vibrating.

I'm going to be one of those annoying customers now which returns all the parts I bought. Sorry PFS (Not sorry Euro)

Treated it to a boot liner..

And a clean

Loving the boot space

I got very very close to buying wheels, shocks and springs this week.
Then I kinda booked a trackday at the Nurburgring in the clio instead for next year, which cost almost as much. so lows and wheels went out the window.