UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:55 pm 
9000 Burble

Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
That's a lovely looking 9000!

As I may have said before.......'gotta love a 9k'!

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 99L, 9000cse, 9-5s and a Panda
Made much better looking by flaky pie pastry residue on the lens
Attachment:
ConistonPassenger.jpg
ConistonPassenger.jpg [ 127.93 KiB | Viewed 3029 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 pm 
UKS Addict

I was out from about 1pm to 7pm starting in Wigan and just heading anywhere. I ended up going past Shap on the M6 and decided it was about time I turned round as I didn't have my passport with me. Off at J40 and headed towards Keswick. From there to Ambleside. Then towards Coniston. In Coniston I took the, not even a B road on Google maps, road down the Right side of the lake. Stopped at the picnic area and the loudest noise was my heatbeat. Despite or perhaps because of the weather it was a wonderful 30 minutes of solitude. Carried on to an A road and the started back south and home.

Assessment of the car:
Lots and lots of 2nd and 3rd gear work for long sections of sheep dodging roads. Shrugged it off.
The suspension just absorbed pretty much every bump from ripples to potholes on the same roads.
Brakes were great, but with new SS hoses and fluid I'd expect nothing else.

Along one "A" road on the way to Coniston I was in front of a couple of locals and easily kept up the pace so they were't up my derriere at any point. Some going for a big car.

I don' really need to say it munched the M6 like me with that Crunchie mid-afternoon

Bad Points:
Sad to say there are a couple.
There's something amiss with the aircon. After a couple of hours, admittedly further than popping round your nan's place, it's very warm eve when it's switched "off" it's still pumping out the heat.
It feels a bit sluggish at times. Pressing the loud pedal at about 2k revs increases the noise more than the Go. Oddly it seems the "loud" is i the cabin as I tried it with the windows down and it's not making F1 open pipe sort of noises. I thought it might be a slipping clutch but highly scientific testing this afternoon has discounted that theory. I'm expecting much more "pick up your skirt and run" that it's currently doing. However I am comparing it against my 9-5s and one of those is a bit tasty and I use the Sport button a lot in the other..

Now it's MOT'd ad taxed I'll take it up to Alty's for a big proper service. New plugs and stuff may solve the Slow Go feeling I have. I expect the heating/aircon issue is something everyone knows the fix ad will be easy to sort.

It's a great car. I wouldn't have spent 7 hours and some 300 miles poncing about dodging sheep and ramblers otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm 
UKS Addict

Big day today. I was actually do some spannering.

First on the list, fit the Wiechers strut brace. Sold on eBay by a number of places as being suitable for a MY98 even though the Wiechers site say it's only for the 1st generation. Ordered from their website, it was cheaper from Germany than the eBayers. Included in the notes was the explanation that it was for a MY98 and if it didn't fit and the eBay mob are fibbing then *dont* send it. It arrived, I set to.

First score to the Saab. A big gash on a knuckle, but it isn't real spannering without blood is it?

Short version - it doesn't fit.
Long version with pics to follow.

I squirted some lube at the throttle body spring to make me feel like I've achieved something.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:16 pm 
UKS Addict

While at the garage between MOTs I sent off to China for some G-Tech branded heater hoses and asked the garage to fit them. £33 delivered IIRC, the delivery being about half the cost. I went for black and not blue because I am subtle ( :lol: :lol: :lol: )
There doesn't appear to be much difference between them and some other Named hoses.
They are much better than 20 year old OE kit
They are not under huge pressure or carrying the engines lifeblood, oil
Attachment:
GTechHoses.jpg
GTechHoses.jpg [ 80.31 KiB | Viewed 2997 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:28 pm 
UKS Addict

This was going to be a How-To but it all went a bit bananas. :(
The first awkward bit was getting access to this bolt. Luckily I have several sizes of sockets (wall thickness) and by levering the cables out of the way I was able undo the three bolts.
There were no bolts with the kit so I reused the originals, dipping them in copperslip stuff first.
The plate didn't sit flat.
I had to do the top one first so that it would start to tighten before starting the other two.
I then went round them tightening them a bit at a time.
The aircon(??) pipes were looking very much like they could be in the way.

I *will* attend to the rust.
Attachment:
StrutMountLeft.jpg
StrutMountLeft.jpg [ 166.97 KiB | Viewed 2997 times ]

This is a quick lineup test after securing the plate. Already I'm pondering rubber insulation between the aircon and brace,
Attachment:
StrutMountLeftTest.jpg
StrutMountLeftTest.jpg [ 82.35 KiB | Viewed 2996 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:43 pm 
UKS Addict

By now I'm worrying and decide to do a rough lineup at the other side too so check it.
That fouls the brake/clutch/summert reservoir. Not giving up just yet I ponder flipping the bar (purple line) to see if that would work. Still looks to catch the reservoir and there's still the aircon pipes at the other side. I gave up and took the plate off the left.

If there were longer bolts with the kit and maybe a washer under the plate, and it was flipped and and and...

Saab 1-0 Me. :(
Attachment:
StrutMountRight.jpg
StrutMountRight.jpg [ 117.1 KiB | Viewed 2996 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 pm 
9000 Burble

DeeDub8 wrote:
While at the garage between MOTs I sent off to China for some G-Tech branded heater hoses and asked the garage to fit them. £33 delivered IIRC, the delivery being about half the cost. I went for black and not blue because I am subtle ( :lol: :lol: :lol: )
There doesn't appear to be much difference between them and some other Named hoses.
Attachment:
GTechHoses.jpg

Are these those?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Silicon ... 20094.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 pm 
UKS Addict

brooklands wrote:
DeeDub8 wrote:
Attachment:
GTechHoses.jpg

Are these those?

The very ones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:43 pm 
9000 Burble

DeeDub8 wrote:
brooklands wrote:
DeeDub8 wrote:
Attachment:
GTechHoses.jpg

Are these those?

The very ones

I really need to get some replacement hoses for my 9000 - I was thinking about the black Maptun ones - but that particular retailer I would rather not use...........so I am trying to find alternatives. Samco and Do88 seem pretty pricey - so I am wondering if these are genuinely a decent alternative

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:02 pm 
UKS Addict

I bought two sets. One for me and one for my old one that Nathan* is getting ready for his 17th. The un-scientific test of rubbing my finger around the inside and generally twisting them satisfied me that they would do the job. They offer black or blue. I'd toyed with purple but nobody is bothered or the price zooms.

I'm damn sure it's the same as the G-Tech kit being offered on eBay, bought in bulk and with a mark-up. If you can wait then getting it via AliBaba works (it does for me)

And having had a top hose blow on Itchy while making good progress down the A580 last year I decided that all the fleet would have all the hoses replaced "before" rather than "after"

As I type this I've remembered that Itchy has the benefit of DO88 hoses because they had a 20% sale when they were 10 last year. I was also ordering an intercooler and the intercooler shiney bits and hoses it would have been rude not to. And that's where the other half of the Finger Rub comparison was done.

*Cousin Simon's lad, so I think he's a half-cousin. Who will get a clip round the ear if he calls me uncle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm 
Active user

Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
Hi,

Car looks cool.
Nice to see you got the pictures up haha.
The silicone hoses are they any good? Might get them if they are only £25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:47 pm 
UKS Addict

guffers158 wrote:
Hi,

Car looks cool.

I think they are worth a try. It ended up at about £30 delivered and it took a couple of weeks. If you are in no rush...

Are they any good? Only time will tell. But I feel happier about having replaced all the 20 year old heating hoses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:52 pm 
Active user

Car Model: saab 9-5 Aero HOT 2003
Ok I'm not in definite need yet.
I'll let you use them for a bit, see what ya think like.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: S
I remember when I fitted a strut brace to my old Aero, it was a real pain, and I had similar alignment issues to you. In the end I think I brute forced it with a "persuader" to get the bolt all the way through the hole. Jacking the front up from the jacking point may help.

9-5 Aero Stage 3 Noobtune
9000 Aero Stage 3 Saabflight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:03 pm 
9000 Burble

DeeDub8 wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
Hi,

Car looks cool.

I think they are worth a try. It ended up at about £30 delivered and it took a couple of weeks. If you are in no rush...

Are they any good? Only time will tell. But I feel happier about having replaced all the 20 year old heating hoses

Now I have been studying the cheapo hoses on Ali express (as previously discussed) and with delivery they are going to be more than £40 - I am I missing something really obvious??? It has been known.......... :park:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:57 pm 
UKS Addict

The is the link to the store I used. The order came to £29.97 Recently when I've logged on they've given vouchers for a few US$ which I could have used to bring it down a few quid

Just checked some more. Items £19.35 and postage £14.27. Seller discount £0.73 and a Alibaba voucher £2.94

I suppose there is the potential for currency variations. But if you're in no rush just keep an eye on the prices for fluctuations.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 2190X13V3M

[edit added]
Just put a dummy order on and it's just over £36 The item is more but the postage is slightly less :loco:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:50 am 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Squidula wrote:
I remember when I fitted a strut brace to my old Aero, it was a real pain, and I had similar alignment issues to you. In the end I think I brute forced it with a "persuader" to get the bolt all the way through the hole. Jacking the front up from the jacking point may help.

Basically that is how i fitted mine .........

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 pm 
UKS Addict

The weekend of the last post I used Bramwell all weekend. Trying to put some miles on it to shake out any cobwebs. On the Saturday I was up early and went into town to check that DP Tyres still existed, I use them for wheel refurbs and (usually) tyres and laser alignment. Their website had disappeared. Pleased to say they are still in business and I told them I would be dropping off the wheels for refurbing in the near future.

Next stop was to investigate Pat Bell Audio, other side of Wigan. I pass this place every day and it never seems open. It wasn't Saturday either. Mild curiosity found me at K&M Acoustics, just to mooch you understand... They weren't busy... I now have a new but temporary radio installed. There wasn't much wrong with the one already in but it didn't do USB Sticks at the front. It's temporary because they installed a unit "for now" as the one I wanted they didn't have in stock. All I had to do was call in on Thursday after work for 10 minutes while they swapped them over. Still to happen so no pics and read on.

Thought I may as well use it all week for work so i was in the right car on Thursday. Yeah, right.

Monday am, off to work as usual. Had a "moment" in the carpark when the car wouldn't switch off. I put that down to Monday morning as it cleared on the next try. Monday evening I stopped of at Lidl for supplies and when I got back in the car it wouldn't start. Not as in flaky battery or starter motor but the ignition wouldn't do the last bit and put some Fire in the Hole.

Ho hum, time to get my money's worth from the AA. That's a long story I cba typing up but I was eventually recovered home. Posts on here convinced me it was the module that bolts onto the back of the ignition barrel. Bramwell is a December 98 reg iirc so *any* 2nd hand part is going to be older. I went for new. And a 2nd key. Arrived today. I will be trying to fit them tomorrow right after I get home from work. If i do I may even manage K&M on their Thursday late night.

Key has a light :) Daren't look at the invoice. Bolts and lots of spacers for the 2nd attempt at the brace, probably at the weekend. I think I need to clean the phone camera lens...
Attachment:
KeyStuffSmall.jpg
KeyStuffSmall.jpg [ 48.4 KiB | Viewed 2808 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:53 am 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Handbrake is a regular service item - every MOT :mrgreen:

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next