UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
I succumbed. I knew I would sooner or later. An unexpected amount dropping into the Toy Kitty turned my idle browsing at 9000s to semi-serious browsing. A purple car on Gumtree was linked to in Brookland's Picks and after some checking I enquired about it. "It's already gone" was the reply. No surprise as it looked good, recent MOT history didn't suggest a basket case and it was £400.

"I've got an Aero coming in" from the seller who also mentioned the words project and £900. That seemed a little high a price for me as anything other than basic fettling would need to be farmed out and paid for. But it could be a bargain so I asked for and received photos. The foot long crack in the windscreen in drivers line-of-sight made that a no-no for me right away.

Then THIS popped up again here on UKS. I liked it when it first appeared in January the Toy Kitty was empty and an empty Toy Kitty is no use to anyone. This time the Toy Kitty had enough. Conversations happened and it was mine. I was to pick it up yesterday.

The day arrived. Train from Wigan to Euston (1st class at a discounted £32.60, be rude not to) then train to Guildford from Waterloo. [Edit 1st Class Saab Seat Photo added]
Attachment:
VirginSaab.jpg
VirginSaab.jpg [ 21.13 KiB | Viewed 1664 times ]

Quite a pleasant morning. Elliot met me at the station and back to his place. The Plan was for Elliot to follow me to the petrol station, where I was going to fill the car, in case it needed a jump-start as the car hadn't run for a while and we'd jumped it initially (and again when i stalled it at a junction :oops: ) Petrol, butties and water paid for and I was on my way. Elliot lead me to the A3 and then I was on familiar ground having worked down there for a few years.

"It's all left-hand turns from now on" I reassured myself heading up to the M25 car-park. Really! On a Saturday lunch-time! Shuffled round to the M40 and then settled down to a pleasing drive homeward. There is something more "wafty" about a 9000 compared to a 9-5. I like my 9-5s too but they are a different experience.

With car fuel and human fuel on board i wasn't planning on stopping till I dropped the car off at my local garage that afternoon. Sadly not, my bladder started interrupting my focus somewhere around Silverstone. Despite thinking it'll pass my needs didn't. Because of the iffy battery I had switched the engine off, coasted and restarted the the engine on the key several times. Confident that it should start (and I'd brought jump leads just in case) i did a quick splash and dash.

Dang, it almost started on the first attempt. But a few more tries and the battery wouldn't even spin the engine. Bugger!! As luck would have it I could see an AA man working on a car across the car-park. I'm a lapsed AA. On the basis of "if you don't ask..." I went to see if he could help, even if i had to join again. He couldn't but suggested i asked the Transporter Man who'd arrived. He was nice and got his jump-pack thing.

The engine would now spin fast enough but was having nothing to do with starting. (I should have thought more about the symptoms at that point, I really should)

"I know nothing about engines" was the slightly surprising comment from Transporter Man. I thanked him and waited for AA man to finish what he was doing and come across to get his sign-up bonus. "Here he comes..." "There he goes..." Oh, what now.

I rang my cousin who'd been following my progress during the day. "Right, I'm on my way". But the more I though about it the more I thought that the last, and looking likely, resort would be getting transported home. Cuz couldn't do that. With a heavy heart and trembling wallet i rang the AA, renewed my membership and got stung for £99 because they were coming out when I technically wasn't a member. I rang cuz and turned him round. Now to wait. And wait. To be fair it was about an hour before Thomasz arrived and that seems about par for the course from past experience.

Thomasz was young and keen and knew about engines. Still no joy with the starting though. He clamped some other stuff on some engine stuff and did some diagnostics.

It was about this point I wondered if the car was immobilised. I went through the blipper buttons and locked, unlocked, opened the boot, etc. I also noticed the little led on the dash was now no longer flashing. Well knock me down wiv a feather. It started. :oops: :oops: If I'd only had that thought when Transporter Man was helping i would have been home already.

The extra diagnostics Thomasz did told me that the alternator is healthy even when he switched *every* electrical thing he could see on, there's no battery drain when everything is switched off and the battery is passed it's best. I thanked him for getting me on my way and got on my way.

M40 - M42 - M5 South - M5 North (rookie mistake my wee taking cousin commented later) - M6. I was getting closer to home, WooHoo. Mr Bladder started to interrupt my thoughts again so i started planning which services to stop at. Stafford North, that's got a sloping car-park and onward I went. I could try a bump-start if needed and it's not that far for my cousin to come out to.

What!!! They've only gone and flattened and resurfaced the car-park. It may have been done a while but last time when I stopped... :wall:

Splash and dash. It started first try. Phew! I went home. It was dark, late and I'd been on the go since 6:30am. Dropping the car off can be done today.

When I got home I tried an experiment of seeing how long it was before the immobiliser reset after stopping the car. Less then a minute I reckon. Lesson learned.

I know the Rulez, photos will follow.

Last edited by DeeDub8 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
the seat switch tops should be easy to fix once you find some other correct bits i did have some spares till a while ago someone will have some lurking about
most 9000s have central locking issues starts with the rear doors
rust is the thing to look for on a 9000 screen arches and everywhere around the rear wheels

i thumbed a lift to collect my 9000 from suffolk a14 to tipton brummy £ 1.40 for the bus into tipton and the car had enough petrol to get me home :D im so jammy always have been
had a duff battery and i pulled up outside me house puff puff dead as i had to have the ligths on for the last few miles as i saw a police car and it followed me

if this ones as good as mine your a very lucky boy

goodluck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:20 pm 
UKS Addict

After this morning's post I went outside to take the car to the garage to be MOT'd. Started first time with barely a turn of the key. Arrgh, my fault yesterday.

It's an MOT/Garage I've been going to for years and so I will get a verbal list of things to keep an eye on if there are any in addition to any advisories that may crop up. They fix small stuff like blown bulbs as they go along. You get a failure and retest as technically it failed but no sucking of teeth and "looks expensive" behaviour.

I have a set of seats which I can use to swap the fronts. An easier fix, though I would look at fixing the switch at some stage. I *really* like electric seats. Played with them on the way home.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:46 pm 

Car Model: 9000 Anni
Pleased to hear you got back OK (ish) Tim.
I'm sure you saw but I actually found the electric seat switch topper - I put it in the centre console I think. You'll need a small retaining screw for the seat side panel and then should be good to go.
Also very pleased that it's gone to a good home - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
When my daughter's older I'm going to demand payment on a significant bill for loss of use, heartache and pain (and a fully restored 9000).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 pm 
UKS Addict

I did spot the handle, eventually. I will have a look at sorting that next weekend as it will be easier than lugging seats about. Plus it'll probably be raining again.

I trust you will be giving your daughter the bill I thought I checked the paperwork and didn't see that clause. :shock: :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:46 pm 
UKS Addict

It has one but not the other.

The garage did the MOT today which I didn't expect it to pass as the rear driver's side door didn't open when I brought it back. Because I dropped the car off at the garage yesterday and it's as secure as Fort Knox I dropped the key off at Tony's (MOT chap) house last night. I asked him to have a look for anything that could do with looking at as well as the MOT things. When I called for the news there is a list, but most of it I could have done if I'd had the chance. They will be doing the list and the retest during the week/next week.

As luck would have it my box of goodies from SAABits arrived today too. In there was a set of braided hoses which has been added to the above ToDo List at the garage.
Attachment:
BraidedHoses.jpg
BraidedHoses.jpg [ 38.82 KiB | Viewed 1664 times ]
While the car is in the garage I will be turning up with a spare set of wheels to swap and drop the current set off to be refurbished. That'll be Saturday morning. :roll: Not my best time.

My Car Mojo seems to be returning. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:16 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
incase you dont know this fact
look in the hatch lock cutout hole in the rear bumper there is a hole that drains water into the car and drains into the wheel well :loco: silly saab what a stupid idea
now we know why so many 9000s rust at the back end

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 pm 
UKS Addict

scanditurbo wrote:
incase you dont know this fact
look in the hatch lock cutout hole in the rear bumper there is a hole that drains water into the car and drains into the wheel well :loco: silly saab what a stupid idea
now we know why so many 9000s rust at the back end

Now on my ToDo List.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:13 pm 
UKS Addict

After a number of weeks the car was finally put in for it's MOT today and has passed!! :D

Admittedly it should have done as it's been at the garage since it failed while they sort out all the MOT failure items, the advisories and all the "little jobs" where I kept dropping the stuff off at the garage, "while you've got it can you...". My ears have burned.

While they have had it they have replaced bulbs, sorted the handbrake, replaced the worn rear ARB bushes (with powerflex items), replaced a piece of windscreen washer hose, got the back door opening again, secured the undertray, replaced some crusty clips on the filler pipe. That's the MOT list.

I've also dropped off, a powerflex engine mount, full set of silicone radiator hoses, new battery and stainless braided brake hoses for all the brakes.

I doubt that they have swapped the old tyres for Toyo set I got from Demon Tweaks (a very reasonable £123.25) last week and I definitely got the impression I was pushing my luck for even wondering out loud at the garage on Tuesday.

I've been checking on-line and within five minutes of seeing the pass on the DVLA I'd taxed the car, also online.

There's an advisory about the handbrake. But we did talk about that and they didn't know which of the 3 cables should be replaced before they fixed it. I expect i will find out later and get new cables or cable.

I will put the front suspension strut brace that arrived yesterday on the car at the weekend.
Probably

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 pm 
9000 Burble

Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
WE NEED PHOTOS! WHERE ARE THEY??????

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Tsk, tomorrow there will be many.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 pm 
9000 Burble

Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
Yes! Looking forward to seeing it.

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:50 am 
UKS Addict

Today's list includes:
Photos to stop breaking the Rulz on here.
Suspension brace to be fitted.
Swap the clear front indicators with orange units (I like 'em)
Same with the repeaters though I'm tempted by the "black" LED variant I've seen on PFS.
Take the bonnet and boot badge off as they resemble shiny disks rather than badges. Ready for replacements that I ordered Thursday and are in the post, somewhere.
Reset the radio set. Found a manual on-line last night.
Visit the local hand wash place, to give it a clean while the badges are off so that under the badges gets a wash too.

Now *stop bloomin' raining*!!!

[edit added]
Hunt out my spare headlamps i bought when i still had my previous 9000. Bought for pennies and when i picked them up the bloke threw in a pair of HID bulbs and stuff I'll compare the reflectors for the best and swap but only if there's any noticeable difference. The lights looked fine on my way home late last night

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:17 am 
UKS Addict

The ToDo list is growing. Looking at this very, very nice 900 https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C963523# in Brooklands Picks the steering wheel picture reminded me i have the same steering wheel (and a boss too) for Bramwell.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
I'm sure they do but make sure your garage know the procedure for setting the handbrake on a 9000. It's pretty different to almost all other cars.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:32 pm 
UKS Addict

When it's cold, wet and miserable there's no place better than...
Attachment:
Coniston00.jpg
Coniston00.jpg [ 141.85 KiB | Viewed 1307 times ]

The Lake District.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Look, what do we find sitting quietly among the trees?
Attachment:
CoinstonTrees.jpg
CoinstonTrees.jpg [ 74.18 KiB | Viewed 1307 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:38 pm 
UKS Addict

My, it's a shy reticent Saab 9000. Let's get a little closer.
Attachment:
ConistonSneak.jpg
ConistonSneak.jpg [ 162.22 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:39 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: Estella. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
Me likey the Lakes Tim!

I have to. I work oop thar!

Dancing on a Highway Somewhere..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:51 pm 
UKS Addict

And i'm now bored with that. had a drive up to the Lakes this afternoon and did all sorts of roads from the M6 to bits of tarmac sheep wait in line to pass each other. Pleased to say Bramwell managed them all with some finesse. On the way home on a big roundabout at the end of a duel-carriageway there was a smidgen of understeer but it was all handled without fuss or drama. I blame my Crocs and some Audi A6 that was behind me completely forgetting he should Respect His Elders.

Attachment:
Coniston01.jpg
Coniston01.jpg [ 167.58 KiB | Viewed 1304 times ]

Attachment:
Coniston02.jpg
Coniston02.jpg [ 113.89 KiB | Viewed 1304 times ]

Attachments:
ConistonDrivers.jpg
ConistonDrivers.jpg [ 154.61 KiB | Viewed 1304 times ]