UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:06 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: c900, 9000 and 96
Lovely old 8 valve. And nice see a 5door being enjoyed and used. I had a 84 gls auto which was possibly the worst combo ever...engine always overstressed in top gear and gulped petrol...anything over 60mph loud as clappers! But then again i bought it for £60 and sold for a cpl grand. The era of bargain c900 seems to be at an end.
Ive an 89 t8 special that should be on the road for the summer. I was wondering about mpg. 8 valves a bit more thirsty than 16 valves. Mpg generally mid 20s??
Just a word of warning oil pump in my 8 valve turbo failed and killed a good engine with only 120k on it....
Keep enjoying that turbo. Pics are fab

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:16 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Not an 8v 900 Turbo
ImageDSC_2029 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

Picked up three Avon CR338 Tubeless 200/60R390 tyres (for T.R. rims) to go with the old Colway 65 and Tubeless Radial X tire I had in the shed. For a grand total of £80.00 I've got five tyres, four of which are fitted, including four alloys balanced. Which is good me thinks, considering the eBay prices for metric tyres. All of the tyres are new old stock and arn't warn. The Avon's feel good and hold the road well. I've had them put on the back because their a little wider than the old 180/65 hr 390 tyres on the front. On initial test this, judging by the wild under-steering on the way back home from Reading this afternoon was a terrible mistake, but their getting better. I think they call for a little wearing in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm 
Active user

cathal1976 wrote:
Lovely old 8 valve. And nice see a 5door being enjoyed and used. I had a 84 gls auto which was possibly the worst combo ever...engine always overstressed in top gear and gulped petrol...anything over 60mph loud as clappers! But then again i bought it for £60 and sold for a cpl grand. The era of bargain c900 seems to be at an end.
Ive an 89 t8 special that should be on the road for the summer. I was wondering about mpg. 8 valves a bit more thirsty than 16 valves. Mpg generally mid 20s??
Just a word of warning oil pump in my 8 valve turbo failed and killed a good engine with only 120k on it....
Keep enjoying that turbo. Pics are fab

Thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye out.
As for mpg...
Once-upon-a-time I too used to use that rather pointless and irrelevant means of gauging quite how much fuel was being drained from the tank. However, I now find TPJ or tanks per journey, a more accurate and rather simpler way of doing it. Or even TPH, tanks per hour, which is a little more than 1/8. This translates to low 20’s in mpg.
However I suspect a later 8v may well be able to achieve a few more.

You've got a point when is comes to the bargain C900 era. Their all getting on a bit and require tlc and moeny. My first car was a 9000 because three or four years ago they were silly cheap. And I suppose you could now say the same about early 9-5's and GM900's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:53 pm 
Active user

Got a couple of jobs done today.
1) Removed the TRX Turbine alloys because I picked up a puncher on Thursday. Painted the rear arches and jacking points with Hammerite
I know I could have used something more car suitable, but it was in the shed, and covers everything nicely.

ImageDSC_2103 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

Then put the G.L.E Design imperial alloy wheels on.

2) Flushed the rad four times with tap water, once with vinegar, once with de-ionised water and put blue 50/50 coolant in.
Mind you as the rubbers still looks like this inside, I suspect the coolant will be orange by Monday.

Image2018-02-24_11-56-54 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

Image2018-02-24_11-57-54 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

Atleast the gravel's flushed out.

3) Found a hole under the windscreen washer bottle ( 5p sized, now covered with wax oil) and checked under the battery for another hole, but all was well.

4) Cleaned the dash. Amazing the difference that made.

Image2018-02-23_08-00-42 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

5) Took a moment to contemplate my carbon footprint, but couldn't think of anything to say.

Image2018-02-22_07-27-20 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

6) Took the coolant to Newbury dump, and found a Jag XK convertible that was game. Those Jags are very very quick.

7) Cleaned it.

ImageDSC_2104 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

and waxed it in the dark.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:35 am 
Active user

ImageScreenshot_20180302-105603 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

I thought I better put some snow content on. Three hrs driving in the snow yesterday evening and I’m impressed. SAAB’s predictable handling, weight over the front wheels, responsive steering that could communicate every slip, bump and snow drift collision, and no torque steer at all; it always got me out of trouble, and never felt anything other than rock solid. Well done car.

ImageScreenshot_20180302-105357 by Michael Robinson, on Flickr

I’ve also reached a little milestone. I’ve owned the car over a year now, and it’s been on the road Mot’ed and in daily use for 360 superb days and I’ve used it like a SAAB. I’ve been fast and been far. I’ve covered 21,550 miles, been as far north as Loch Assynt at Ullapool, as far south as Salcombe, and it still works :park:

Edit: (most of it) STILL works :park:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
That's an impressive mileage for a year for any car. Nice to see it shrugging the snow off.