UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Saab 9000 aero
Nutty9000 wrote:
SaabnScotland wrote:
Don’t need a baffled sump for knockhill done it lots of trackdays there no issues. Only long right handlers can cause problems however I have never had an issue at any track I have done.

That's good then, do you not slightly overfill the oil or something?

Yes I overfill with oil slightly, up to half litre extra seems to work for me.

You mention fibreglass bonnet for weight reduction I know someone who would make a fibreglass 9000 bonnet I spoke to him a year ago. I thought about seeing if there was any interest in a group buy but with dwindling numbers of 9000’s and the reluctance to spend money on older cars I shelved the idea. He could also do one in carbon fibre but that would be ven more expensive.

Clio dci

Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
SaabnScotland wrote:
Nutty9000 wrote:
SaabnScotland wrote:
Don’t need a baffled sump for knockhill done it lots of trackdays there no issues. Only long right handlers can cause problems however I have never had an issue at any track I have done.

You mention fibreglass bonnet for weight reduction I know someone who would make a fibreglass 9000 bonnet I spoke to him a year ago. I thought about seeing if there was any interest in a group buy but with dwindling numbers of 9000’s and the reluctance to spend money on older cars I shelved the idea. He could also do one in carbon fibre but that would be ven more expensive.

There might be a few interested by next summer, depending on details.
Vent to exit hot radiator air roughly over exhaust manifold has been my long term goal for a chopped up steel spare bonnet, so definitely interested in a fiberglass version that could achieve the same and cut some weight..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm 
Saab Nut

Might be worth posting to gauge potential interest.

Clio dci

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: '97 9000 Aero
Aerohead wrote:
Nice to see this car in another set of good hands. Having ridden in it on track, goes like a light +450hp car should go, only proper fast stuff can keep pace on anything at all straightish.

Thanks! It does go pretty well once in 3rd, it's quite tame though once you get used to it. Wow nice what kind of machinery was it sticking with?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Was bored on my lunch break so took some shots :geek:

Strangely the spluttering has stopped so maybe the DI pack is fine, still a slight oil leak so going to have to get that re-inspected (might head up to mechanic tomorrow) but other than that it's pulling like a champ!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

SaabnScotland wrote:
Nutty9000 wrote:
SaabnScotland wrote:

Very tempting do you you have any idea of cost for fibreglass vs cf? Even cooler would be carbon kevlar.

Ideally though as this is a sleeper fibreglass then repainted would be the go for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Nutty9000 wrote:

Strangely the spluttering has stopped so maybe the DI pack is fine, still a slight oil leak so going to have to get that re-inspected (might head up to mechanic tomorrow) but other than that it's pulling like a champ!

Just realised it's likely to be because the fuel filter looks as old as the car; will get replaced with Fram one tomorrow (been meaning to).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:32 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 9000 Aero GT30 Power :D
Good to see your enjoying her simon, if you do refit the stock engine mounts get Saab ones, they’re about £200 each but the only ones that last more than 6 months, I made custom engine mounts that it currently has using hockey pucks like car55 did, theyre a million times better than stock but are a bit harsher, if you do change them, ill have them back off you :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:12 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9k Aero
Aerohead wrote:
Vent to exit hot radiator air roughly over exhaust manifold has been my long term goal for a chopped up steel spare bonnet, so definitely interested in a fiberglass version that could achieve the same and cut some weight..

I'd be seriously interested in one of these if you manage to pull of a group buy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 pm 
China Charger

Car Models: 2020 Leon Cupra S1
Nutty9000 wrote:
Nutty9000 wrote:

Just realised it's likely to be because the fuel filter looks as old as the car; will get replaced with Fram one tomorrow (been meaning to).

That fuel filter isn't very old. I fit it myself when the car was reshelled at Froggys place in stoke.

98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:57 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Models: One of the first RHD 9-5s
I assume the brakes actually work now? I spent a year trying to get them to behave before giving up and partially stripping this car before donating the shell to Phil.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:56 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

9000Parts wrote:
I assume the brakes actually work now? I spent a year trying to get them to behave before giving up and partially stripping this car before donating the shell to Phil.

Yeh they work great, haven't had chance to really test them yet but for road use they're effortlessly powerful. What was up with them before, you referring to the AP Racing 4 pots right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

filathome wrote:
That fuel filter isn't very old. I fit it myself when the car was reshelled at Froggys place in stoke.

Oh probably mechanic being a bit of a pedant then, how long ago was that? Will likely get it replaced for good measure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:01 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

wheelynutz wrote:
Good to see your enjoying her simon, if you do refit the stock engine mounts get Saab ones, they’re about £200 each but the only ones that last more than 6 months, I made custom engine mounts that it currently has using hockey pucks like car55 did, theyre a million times better than stock but are a bit harsher, if you do change them, ill have them back off you :D

Hi James hope all is well. While they are a little harsh, I don't mind the engine mounts as they are, it's the dash rattles that are the only annoyance, which I've found are rattly indicator stalk and there's a rattle coming from the fuse box (both of which will be remedied later this month); other than that it's nice and rattle-free inside. Are all engine mounts modified/hockey puck on this or just the top one visible in the engine bay? Cheers

Last edited by Nutty9000 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am 
Saab Nut

mark411 wrote:
Aerohead wrote:

I'd be seriously interested in one of these if you manage to pull of a group buy.

Ok guys I will get back with cost.

Clio dci

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

SaabnScotland wrote:
mark411 wrote:
Aerohead wrote:

Ok guys I will get back with cost.

Please count me in also, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

That's the oil breather pipe re-inserted with a new plug and cables tidied up; been advised to get a catch can so another little job to add to the list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
Well done for taking charge of this car and doing the little jobs to it to keep it on the road. It's a true weapon of a car and I enjoyed reading the build thread when it was underway.

Makes my car look slow, even more so given the weight advantage the 9000 has over the NG93.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Nutty9000 wrote:
filathome wrote:

Oh probably mechanic being a bit of a pedant then, how long ago was that? Will likely get it replaced for good measure.

At least two and a half years ago........

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Nutty9000 wrote:
9000Parts wrote:

Yeh they work great, haven't had chance to really test them yet but for road use they're effortlessly powerful. What was up with them before, you referring to the AP Racing 4 pots right?

At the shell swap weekend, the master cylinder was swapped into the car and the calipers and rest of assembly were also swapped over. I think they were 308mm stuff from the 9-5 at the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next