UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: S
Nelliem wrote:
Abbotts did the gearbox for Phil previously and it managed a whole 50 miles but apparently their reply was 'tough - it's a tuned car' ! :( Saabflight may be worth looking at and Jeffthechef found a guy in the midlands who sounded very promising, I might have his contact details somewhere.

I am familiar with Abbotts 'warranty', and had the exact same response in the past from them. Surprisingly, it was the last time I ever used them for anything. I like David at Saabflight, but he can be difficult to get hold of unless you go down there, he's not big on technology haha

9-5 Aero Stage 3 Noobtune
9000 Aero Stage 3 Saabflight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: '97 9000 Aero
Mike9000Aero wrote:
I thought Phil did a full box build on that one?...so maybe just needs the lsd?

He did but it blew up while James was rooting it around Snetterton :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIftka86p8Q

Current gearbox seems ok if a bit noisy when engine braking, might as well get it rebuilt if going to the effort of swapping the diffs?

How much are the rebuild kits and who sells them?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 am 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
Just give it to Wes. He'll source the rebuild kit from Orio (what used to be Saab Parts), and anything else needed while it's in bits.

96V4s

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
Best to pay a little extra to have someone who knows these boxes as there are a few little tricks that help them last a lot longer. I'm not sure that the 'rebuild kit' is available from saab anymore though so it may be a case of getting all the bits individually but I'm sure Wes will know what's needed. If the diff needs anything doing I'm fairly sure they have lifetime warranty but they are pretty tough so hopefully it's ok.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:17 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Nelliem wrote:
There was lots of stuff taken off with the aim of saving weight before James got it which just didn't make sense to me for the amount of weight saved, central locking, leccy aerial , glovebox , cabin filter etc etc. Personally for the 2kg saved I'd have rather kept them lol.

Can't imagine that'll add up to much at all! Glovebox is in but no central locking certainly accentuates its old school feel.

Did you get any pics of your welding work? What specifically was cut out and replaced?

Cabin filter going in in January.

In other news, I've picked up a daily driver!

Should be pleasant going from 20 to 60 mpg day to day. All of the fuel saved will help with trackdays etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:47 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
I didn't do the welding - chap in sussex did that but it was mainly rear suspension turrets and rear inner arches etc. It will have been to a high standard though, he's very good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Nelliem wrote:
I didn't do the welding - chap in sussex did that but it was mainly rear suspension turrets and rear inner arches etc. It will have been to a high standard though, he's very good.

Sounds pretty extensive, car is off the road now until Spring next year, at which point I'll get it back to trackworthy standard. Could do with a car cover for now or dry storage, seems a bit harsh leaving it out in this weather. The Aygo is awesome on fuel and so much easier to drive than the Saab, I do miss the extra 400 bhp though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
Nutty9000 wrote:
I do miss the extra 400 bhp though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: NS,S... :wink:

96V4s

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Following a pretty hectic Christmas period, I've finally got back round to this project.

The 9k has been off the road since early December, when the idle started going all over the place, pulsating from below idle (almost stalling) to 1500 rpm then holding at 4000 rpm.

Not only that but it lost pretty much all boost.

Having taken the car to the mechanic, he diagnosed that it was in fact the inlet manifold that was leakier than a leaky thing; this despite the fact that I had it re-welded only a month prior!

At this point I'd lost patience and as the oil started seeping out again (although not anywhere near as bad as previous), I decided to sell up.

However, as I'd have struggled to sell it with a leaky manifold, I decided to keep it and start planning ahead for my first summer of trackdays.

Recently wheelynutz recommended Dave (Froggy I believe, top bloke!) at Newcastle-Under-Lyme MOT centre as Dave actually worked on the inlet manifold in its original form around 8 years ago.

Dave tested the inlet and found that while it was pretty poorly bent and cracked, the fact it has Jenvey parts meant it was definitely worth saving.

This is now complete and looks much better and is back with mechanic ready for install.

Later this month mechanic will be removing the sump which I will be taking to Dave who will be deepening it to give a baffling effect; an essential modification for track use.

While the sump is off mechanic will be investigating the oil leak - it's possible that the leak was caused by worn-out ancilliaries so that's an engine top-end out jobbie.

Yes it's been a pita but the prospect of getting this thing on track is so enticing. Also there's no pressure to rush with things now I'm running the Aygo as a daily.

Aim for late April is to have the following work complete:
Inlet manifold and new gaskets refitted
Sump deepened and baffled
Oil leak fixed inc. new ancilliaries
Refit cabin filter and sound deadening

Dyno at Street Racers, Leicestershire to compare with 9-5 which was dyno'd at same place. While it's made '430ish at the hub' in the past, i'm led to believe that with the 630cc injectors it's impossible it can make more than 460 at the fly. Be interesting to see anyway.

Trackdays:
Donnington

Road trips:
Nürburgring in September
..and bloody good breakdown cover

Later in the year:
Brake work
Install LSD and full gearbox rebuild inc cryo treatment etc.
Install gearbox cooler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:39 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Three wheeler
At 430bhp you are already at 90% duty cycle with a 630cc injector which is 10% above the recommended max of 80% duty which leaves you with no comfort room at all...so at 460 @ 80% duty your will need a 750cc injector at best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:42 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

eddmaster wrote:
At 430bhp you are already at 90% duty cycle with a 630cc injector which is 10% above the recommended max of 80% duty which leaves you with no comfort room at all...so at 460 @ 80% duty your will need a 750cc injector at best.

Ok cheers, guess these will do the trick? http://sasautocustoms.co.uk/deka/10-sie ... -of-4.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:32 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Three wheeler
Nutty9000 wrote:
eddmaster wrote:

Ok cheers, guess these will do the trick? http://sasautocustoms.co.uk/deka/10-sie ... -of-4.html

Yep they should do the trick :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab 9000 Aero
Look what I’ve been missing since I laid my 9000 up!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:55 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
mrd2525 wrote:
Look what I’ve been missing since I laid my 9000 up!

Ha.. I thought it was you that was laid up Mark.. :lol:

Saabocus
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others
Focus ST

RX8 B204