UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 9000 #4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:09 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9k Aero (Black) 900 T16S (Red)
Got to be worth replacing the battery first. I think they're the same as mobo bios batteries? If so I got a pack of 10 for less than £2 posted a couple of months back on ebay.

+ Volvo S60 (2.0T) & the wife's Vx Corsa (1.4 Auto)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:15 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9k Aero (Black) 900 T16S (Red)
Re the badge, I swapped one over when I replaced a cracked panel (cracked when push starting it with a flat battery) but the new panel had a faded badge. Can't remember how I did it - maybe it's easier with the panel removed (only a few bolts IIRC).

+ Volvo S60 (2.0T) & the wife's Vx Corsa (1.4 Auto)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 pm 
9000 Burble

Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
Tim Duggan wrote:
Got to be worth replacing the battery first. I think they're the same as mobo bios batteries? If so I got a pack of 10 for less than £2 posted a couple of months back on ebay.

Cheers Tim - I have a few spares so I will change one over - but to be honest I took the back off earlier and the battery seems to have moved a little, so I slide it back into position and also cleaned all the crud that had collected around the battery and it is working fine again now! But like Bill J has suggested I am sourcing a used one and get my mate with Tech II to pair it to the car.

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:11 pm 
9000 Burble

Tim Duggan wrote:
Re the badge, I swapped one over when I replaced a cracked panel (cracked when push starting it with a flat battery) but the new panel had a faded badge. Can't remember how I did it - maybe it's easier with the panel removed (only a few bolts IIRC).

Been suggested that a combination of using a hair dryer to warm that area up and also using something sharp to puncture the old badge might help........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
i know your not cleaning them with sand i was taking the micky mate as per usual :oops:
i got a new key from vauxhall under 20 quid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:24 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 9000s
brooklands wrote:
Tim Duggan wrote:

Been suggested that a combination of using a hair dryer to warm that area up and also using something sharp to puncture the old badge might help........

That's a really nice 9000. :D Well done!

On the rear badge, definitely go for warming it up and trying to prise it out by making a cut or slot in the old badge. If you try and pry it from around the edge there is a high risk of chipping the (old and brittle) plastic rear trim. I've successfully done the following on a couple of 9000s: use a dremel or similar to cut a slot in the centre of the badge. The badge sits proud of the plastics at the centre, so there is an airgap before you get to the plastic. The dremel wheel will heat the badge anyway, which is good. Then insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the slot and lever the old badge off carefully. If it is stubborn, I'd recommend a little more heat and not more force... BillJ is a good source of replacement badges!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:49 pm 
9000 Burble

EmpingSaab wrote:
brooklands wrote:
Tim Duggan wrote:

That's a really nice 9000. :D Well done!

On the rear badge, definitely go for warming it up and trying to prise it out by making a cut or slot in the old badge. If you try and pry it from around the edge there is a high risk of chipping the (old and brittle) plastic rear trim. I've successfully done the following on a couple of 9000s: use a dremel or similar to cut a slot in the centre of the badge. The badge sits proud of the plastics at the centre, so there is an airgap before you get to the plastic. The dremel wheel will heat the badge anyway, which is good. Then insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the slot and lever the old badge off carefully. If it is stubborn, I'd recommend a little more heat and not more force... BillJ is a good source of replacement badges!

Great advice here! And many thanks for the kind comments!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm 
9000 Burble

So the old girl has been used and abused since my last update - 3000 miles since it's last bath before today left her looking like this;

Image20180215_112606 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Image20180215_112616 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

really rather grim, I'm sure you'll agree!

But having spent 3 hours using the following method/products;

1. 2 bucket wash using Megs gold class shampoo
2. Megs Ultimate compund
3. AG SRP
4. 2 coats of AG HD wax
5. Glass cleaned using AG glass polish
6. Tyres and rubbers/plastics dressed with Megs endurance

she looked like this;

Image20180215_141849 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Image20180215_141900 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Image20180215_141916 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Whilst I was on a roll I decided to change the bonnet badge,

Image20180215_140303 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

But I chickened out doing the rear badge on the decor panel............

In those 3000 miles she has averaged 29 MPG which is pretty good really - on some longer runs I saw the average rise to 36 MPG!

But - I still need to attack my Aero seats with the Gliptone twins.......and get them in.......don't want to rush into anything though!

Last edited by brooklands on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 pm 
UKS Addict

looking good mate sparkles nicely in the sun eh

much more chance of a happy outcome doing the decor badge when its nice and sunny and warm im down to me last undamaged decor panel now

you ever seen this one i havent and it lived in sudbury https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9000-CS ... SwEW9ab38z

ruscoid Martin ?? just sold a ropey 9000 on ebay cheap

Last edited by scanditurbo on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm 
9000 Burble

scanditurbo wrote:
looking good mate sparkles nicely in the sun eh

much more chance of a happy outcome doing the decor badge when its nice and sunny and warm im down to me last undamaged decor panel now

Cheers Dave! I think you are right about the badge......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:46 pm 
9000 Burble

Dave - I do know the linked 9000. Belonged to a EASOC member who lives in Clare. He also has a 99T!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:01 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

brooklands wrote:
As with every car I own, it is one step forward and another back.........

My fob only seems to be omitting a signal sometimes - is this likely to be a case of needing a new battery or should I be thinking about finding another fob (the car only came with one key........)

I’ve had that with both fobs and like many things Saab 9000 related (ie headlamp relay and hazard switch, the answer is dry solder joints. Follow the stalk which hovers over the positive side of the battery to the other side (you need to remove the casing) and resolder the joint. Or come and see me next time you’re in Ipswich and I’ll have a look.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:26 am 
9000 Burble

Simon_blackburn wrote:
brooklands wrote:
As with every car I own, it is one step forward and another back.........

My fob only seems to be omitting a signal sometimes - is this likely to be a case of needing a new battery or should I be thinking about finding another fob (the car only came with one key........)

I’ve had that with both fobs and like many things Saab 9000 related (ie headlamp relay and hazard switch, the answer is dry solder joints. Follow the stalk which hovers over the positive side of the battery to the other side (you need to remove the casing) and resolder the joint. Or come and see me next time you’re in Ipswich and I’ll have a look.

Cheers Simon

The good news is that once I had removed the battery and cleared all the dust and grot from around it and placed the battery back, it's performed faultlessly. But I still need to get another fob mated to it & a another key.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:02 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 DE Aero stage 3+ Quaife
How on earth did you manage to bag those seats for an Ayrton?!? You lucky b&gger! I've had two 9000s, a very late 1998 Anniversary 2.0lpt and an early 9000 Aero. The lpt didn't stay standard for very long lol including a full Aero interior being fitted. They are the very best seats I've ever sat in in a car. Closely followed by the ones in RCP atm.

Keep up the good work.

Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm 
9000 Burble

Cheers for your kind words!

Here are some (long overdue) shots of the legendary £10 Aero seats;

Image20180216_152627 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Image20180216_152631 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Image20180216_152642 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Image20180216_152648 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

As you can see someone has tried to dye some wear on the seats and has got completely the wrong shade - I am assuming some of Removed for GDPR#2's/Scuffmaster dyes should do the trick?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm 
9000 Burble

Also - I have had a frustrating time trying to sort the non-funtioning CD player.

Firstly I couldn't get the bloomin' thing out of the dash and now I cannot get the screws undone to clean the head...........

Image20180216_152822 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Image20180216_152831 by Mark Blewitt, on Flickr

Any thoughts on the right screwdriver? Can't get anything to work........most frustrating!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:59 pm 
UKS Addict

shame i dint know about the clare 9000 we had an exact replica sat in me mums garden with a totally rotten floor could have had alot of spares off it if i knew he was so close
its gone now the engines going in a 1993 aero

lovely day so removed all me boot carpets hoovered it out washing it all out drying it then waxing all the inside everywhere i could get it
wd40 all the lecy plugs hidden damn theres loads of them hidden under that there carpet
then waxed all the locks and the hatch rubber then wd40d all the drain holes and waxed around the hatch metal
hatch closes so nice now no effort like butter deffo worth the effort to clean the hatch rubber and lube it up lovely

didnt find any rust hidden anywhere so happy days

little tip mark if you get home and park up in the rain or its looking like its gonna rain alot
park the car right side down as the spare wheel well only has a drain on the right hand side bit weird eh never noticed as i normally have a big bit of plastic between the spare wheel and the car
so if you parked left side down eg right wheels up on the curb left wheels down on the road
the water cant drain away out of the wheel well as they couldnt afford to put a hole on the left hand side

the pubs calling me now
dave

drill em out or safer method degreasde em then epoxy something onto them a bolt head or such
or dremell a straight groove then a screwdriver will work

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:49 pm 
9000 Burble

You have been a busy boy!

Dremel might be my only option to get the screws out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm 
UKS Addict

cover your eyes cover your eyes youve been warned a mates blind in one eye from er not covering his eyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:30 pm 
UKS Addict

do we think this is a silly idea as ive just noticed this today as ive been cleaning waxing things in the boot area to try and find a leak that isnt happening by mistake its on purpose it seems silly saab

if you look in the lock hole in the rear bumper you may have to clean some sandy dusty crud out the bottom of it first
look at the front end centre of the bumper lock hole it has a drain hole into the back of the car then goes into the wheel well if your parked nose down
park nose up then the water stays leaving a fair bit across the back end right where there is a fat wire across the boot also can make the side carpets wet damp too if it rained hard depending on the camber of how youve parked
waxing up across the rear end paintwork this does make more water drain aways as i just hosed it down after waxing it alot yesterday
now we know why the paints so thick at the rear end of the boot
this is not normally noticed as it has a cover over it to hide it

so i guess me cars not leaking then someone thought its a good idea to drain it into the car for some reason what that reason be i cant think of a genuine good reason for it
at a stretch maybe so theres not alot of water at the back of the car to freeze in sweden or some where icy cold then you slip on you butt

oh well me cars had some good cleaning and waxing love before finding this out so not a total waste of time me niece says its now called ruby wax :D

so come on whats the best reason we can think of that they vent water into the car then

1. so they rust quicker
2. so you dont slip on ice at the rear end of the car as its all in the boot
3. er struggling over to you guys

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next