UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:50 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 96 Citroen Xantia Activa 2.0T
Went to put some aluminium tape on the fuel lines on the Skoda in an attempt to tame the fuel evaporation issues it has which makes hot starts a pain without manually priming the carb. Discovered that the fuel hoses which I fitted 18 months ago almost to the day were disintegrating alarmingly, so changed the lot.

Plus side there are only four pieces of hose amounting to about a metre and a half.

Last edited by Zelandeth on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:20 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 wagon
Zelandeth wrote:
Went to put some aluminium tape on the fuel lines on the Skoda in an attempt to tame the fuel evaporation issues it has which makes hot starts a pain without manually priming the carb. Discovered that the fuel hoses which I fitted 18 months ago almost to the day were disintegrating alarmingly, so changed the lot.

Plus side there are only four pieces of hose amounting to about a metre and a half.

You'll be fitting cohline R9 ethanol proof hose then :)

C900 2 door '86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:36 pm 
Saab Nut

Skoda has decided it's not interested in idling. Pulls just fine under load (well, as well as you'd expect with 54bhp to work with), so my money is on crud in the carb clogging the idle jet - especially as I've just disturbed the fuel system by changing hoses.

Just waiting for it to cool down then will go whip the carb off and have a look.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:17 pm 
Saab Nut

Ho hum. Took the carb off and gave everything a darn good clean - there was quite a bit of gunk in the float bowl and what was blown out of several of the passages didn't look, smell nor feel like petrol. Guess that's the remainder of what was in the tank that had sat for nine months.

It however didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Have checked the points, gap had closed up a bit so was duly set to the correct 0.45mm. No difference.

Dodgy condenser possibly? Annoyingly don't have a spare on hand I can substitute it with. Will dig out the spark plug testers next to see if I have a spark that's dropping out at low rpms.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:51 pm 
Saab Nut

Picked up a little treat for the fleet.

Especially for keeping the ignition system on the Skoda in tip top tune.

I believe there is a companion %CO measurement unit which can plug into this as well which I'll need to keep my eyes open for...or reverse engineer how it talks to the unit...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:42 pm 
Saab Nut

Yesterday I drained about 15 litres of fuel out the Skoda then refilled at a slightly less dodgy looking fuel station - immediately my running problems vanished. Idle is now nice and smooth and she has stopped pinking under load.

Pretty conclusive that my theory of dodgy fuel was correct.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:10 pm 
Saab Nut

Very little to the actual cars - though I did rescue a friend's mother by using the C900 to jump start their little Hyundai after they left the lights on all night.

Took advantage of the weather being a bit cooler today and took the Sinclair out for what felt like the first time in ages. It then rained and I got soaked, but still enjoyed it.

....really need to get the disc brake mod done though,every time I don't use it for a while I forget how shockingly useless the stock brakes are!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:50 pm 
Saab Nut

Beardo wrote:
Paid the deposit for it!

Now you've got to tell us what it is!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:02 pm 
Saab Nut

Tried to view the one I'm trying to buy - only to be foiled by the garage the dealer uses for MOTs getting behind so it's still waiting for a test. Admittedly it was a nice surprise that they insist on putting a fresh test on a 23 year old car (that still has nearly two months on it) and gives a good vibe that they're confident it's in good order.

Two and a half hour drive there so makes sense to just make the trip once! Annoyingly I don't have a lift available tomorrow so will need to wrangle the public transport system into co-operating. Luckily having worked in public transport for nearly eight years, I can usually manage that! ... doesn't make the trains any cheaper mind you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:18 am 
Saab Nut

Yesterday with the help of a friend, after a merry old dance covering basically the entire front end of the car tracked down where the clonk that is coming from the nearside front of the Lada when braking to a halt is coming from. Appears to be one of the steering idler linkage mounts has some play in it so the inner part is rocking back and forth. Being bolted to the chassis rail in the engine bay directly inboard of the nearside front wheel meant it really sounded like it was coming from the wheel.

Once sorted that will take a bit of lost motion out of the system (all six ball joints in the system seem fine) so should reduce the straight ahead slack to about the right amount (roughly an inch at the steering wheel rim), which is nice as it suggests the steering box actually doesn't need adjustment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm 
Saab Nut

Fitted a new set of HT leads to the Lada and booked it in for two new tyres and to have the correct wheels put back on, as the 14s someone has fitted result in the balance weights on the inner rim touching the suspension wishbone on full lock. Plus the rolling radius is smaller than it should be which will be throwing out the speedo.

...plus they look non standard which bugs my sense of OCD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:15 pm 
Saab Nut

Bought a period Saunders made full length roof rack for the Lada. Needs a lick of paint, but will make getting the bikes up the road when we go up to Centre Parcs next week a lot easier.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:51 pm 
Saab Nut

Cleaned up and painted the roof rack for the Lada (white to go with the rest of the detailing and the wheels), picked up some varnish to give the woodwork on the rack a going over too, should be good for another 30 years now.

Noted that the nasty clonking noise from the nearside front of the Lada has got a lot louder yesterday, unnervingly so. Will investigate that tomorrow. Hoping it's the steering linkage between the nearside idler and track rod end as I've got that in stock and it's a ten minute job to change.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:50 pm 
Saab Nut

Tried further to track down the crack (not clonk) from the nearside front of the Lada. Money is now on front upper wishbone bushes binding... it's either that or the top ball joint, but turning the steering doesn't cause it so I reckon wishbone. Really hard to tell where it's coming from and sounds ten times worse from inside the car.

Discovered the rubber boot that should cover the hole where the heater hoses come through the bulkhead is missing. Will need to order a new one.

Found the top radiator hose to be weeping...still held on by those odd single use hose clips loved by the Eastern Bloc makers in the 80s, so went out and bought a couple of dozen decent hose clips, will change those tomorrow.

Then tried to get the rear window washer working. Got the trim panel out and revived the pump by whacking it repeatedly with a screwdriver, then added screen wash...and found the tank leaks like a sieve. Given it's a manufacturing defect, it has since 1993. Will get a new tank ordered then...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:21 pm 
Saab Nut

Got a few things done today.

Firstly gave the roof rack and all of its fittings a second coat of paint. Has covered quite nicely actually.

Then spent a good hour hunting the noise on the Lada. Closer inspection suggested that it's not a clunk at all (there is a slight clunk through the steering which is coming from the idler bracket as discovered last week...that however is totally unrelated). It's a much sharper crack that seems to be coming from something that's binding. Having spent far too long crawling around under the car while the suspension was being rocked (handy having a full 6" of ground clearance), I *think* I've tracked it down to either one of the top wishbone mounts or the top ball joint on the nearside - I don't think it's the ball joint though because it doesn't do it when you move the steering - only when the suspension is disturbed from rest. It's silent if you keep rocking the car - it only does it when you disturb the car after it's settled. Really odd. I've had a creaky ball joint before, but that was a heck of a lot easier to track down than this one!

While I had the bonnet open Darren noticed the light, which I commented on the fact that I'd never actually seen work on any Riva or Niva...Of course this then resulted in us scratching our heads and poking it - I had the AVO to hand from yesterday when I was checking the output from the Lambda sensor after all. Sure enough there was no power to it - and then I had the thought of "I wonder if the headlights have to be on?" Sure enough, sidelights on, and it lit up probably for the first time since the car was new. Just need to find the shade for it now.

Wasted us about 20 minutes from what we were actually doing, but that's often the way isn't it!

Back on track, I noticed this mess on the radiator fan shroud.

This engine bay is full of these eeeeeeevil hose clips that the Eastern Bloc manufacturers in the 70s and 80s seemed to love - Skoda was full of them when I got it too. Thankfully Lada at least don't have the same obsession with the green self-destructing fabric braided hose that Skoda do!

The antifreeze residue at virtually every hose joint suggests that even though this is the only one visibly leaking, that they're all less than perfectly sealed, so made a quick run over to Motorserv, and bought a whole bunch of hose clips...

Figure if I've got to disturb the cooling system I may as well do the lot and just know it's been done. At least I don't need to do battle with those horrible things again in future then!

Turning my attention to the to do list inside, I set about investigating the floppy steering column shroud which was loose enough that it repeatedly interfered with my foot when coming off the brake pedal. It's cracked in several places courtesy of the scum who nicked the car a few years back (and thankfully lost interest only a few streets away and didn't torch it or anything), and as a result simply doesn't have the rigidity to stay in place as it should. I'll get a new shroud ordered soon, for now I've opted for the highly technical solution of wrapping a couple of cable ties around it...You wouldn't notice them if you didn't know they were there.

While I was standing on my head doing that I noted that for some reason I could see daylight through the bulkhead somewhere up around where the heater hoses go into the engine bay. The penny dropped at that point, that the heater matrix and heater valve had been changed at some relatively recent point by the Russian mechanic who looked after the car. There's meant to be a rubber boot which covers the hole where the pipes pass through the bulkhead, but anyone who's done the heater valve on either a Niva or Riva will tell you that it's an utter pig to refit if disturbed. Now there's something I've learned having bought several cars off Russians - they seem to generally be fantastic engineers where it comes to keeping the oily bits going just fine, but often lack some finesse where other details are concerned...so things like little rubber bungs and such have a tendency to disappear. This also quickly explained why I seemed to have somewhat more mechanical noise in the cabin than I originally expected - of course I do, there's an inch or so diameter hole straight into the engine bay! A temporary repair was fashioned out of self adhesive aluminium tape normally used for air conditioning ducts, but I'll get a new cover ordered and then spend an hour or so swearing at it to get it into place when we're back from holiday. I can report at least a 20% reduction in in-cabin noise from the valve train has been the result of my temporary repair.

While I was fiddling around inside the car I decided to have a poke at the none-working rear window washer. The voltmeter in the dash told me that it was drawing power, but there was no sound from the motor suggesting movement. Offside trim panel off in the boot gains access to the washer bottle (it's actually attached to the trim panel rather than the car), and operation of the pump was restored by the highly technical process of whacking it a bunch of times with a screwdriver. I then added some screenwash...and discovered that the tank leaks like a sieve. The fact that it's leaking through what is patently obviously a manufacturing defect suggests that it has leaked since the car was built in 1993 and probably never worked. It does deliver screenwash to the rear screen though, so I'll get a new tank ordered and hopefully get that ticked off.

On the plus side...Unlike certain other automotive manufacturers (Citroen, I'm not naming any names..Oh...oops), Lada still supply virtually any parts for the Riva (only bits they don't are the steering gear bits bespoke to the RHD cars - and fair enough, there are probably a couple of hundred of them left in total), and they cost pennies. *Usually* they're easy to change too...Usually. There are exceptions mind you...You never, ever, ever want for example to change the steering box. It's simple to do...Except for the fact that the brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, brake servo, exhaust manifold, inlet manifold, carb and the engine are all in the way.

Soaked in screenwash by that point and running out of daylight I decided to call it a day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:18 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
this Lada needs it's own project thread :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:41 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Jaguar XF & Fiat 500
McVities wrote:
this Lada needs it's own project thread :D

What he said.

Really enjoying the write ups.

If you want me to split the posts from the thread and move into the project section, just drop me a pm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:26 pm 
Saab Nut

Given my tendency to ramble probably not a bad idea for there to be a projects thread about the fun and games of looking after my fleet! After all we've got a Lada, (proper) Skoda, a Saab, a Peugeot and a Citroen...what can possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:45 pm 
Saab Nut

Actually a few days ago because I haven't had reliable internet access until today.

We took the Lada up to the Sherwood Forest centre Parcs where we went on holiday for a week.

This is how the car looked just before we left. We're honestly just a normal family going away on holiday and aren't in the slightest bit eccentric...

All right, fine...Guess I am a bit eccentric aren't I...Owning the Lada alone proves that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:41 pm 
Saab Nut

Further gremlin hunting on the Riva's emission control system.

Replaced several poor fitting vacuum hoses, and ascertained that one source of a vacuum leak was a ruptured diaphragm in the EGR valve - which I also found to be jammed solid. So will get a new valve ordered. On the plus side, it's not too hard to get to and as with most things on the car, replacements are cheap. It's the circular thing roughly centre frame below - and you'll not be surprised to find that the hose with the screwdriver bit stuffed in the end is the vacuum hose that would normally operate the valve.

Did some more rummaging and found that one obvious thing that's amiss is that the switch on the carb which is meant to tell the AFR module (essentially a really basic ECU) when the throttle is fully closed doesn't seem to be doing anything. That surely can't be helping the function of the idle circuit...I'll need to delve a bit deeper to find out whether it's just a conventional microswitch or whether it's something more specialised buried deep within the carb...

I've also had a dwell meter on the carb solenoids and confirmed that the system seems to be behaving perfectly when the car is running in open loop mode, but everything starts to go screwy at idle as soon as it goes closed loop...Given that I know that it's been miswired and misplumbed for some time I'm starting to wonder what state the lambda sensor is in...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next