UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to create build diaries of the basket cases at the bottom of the garden/driveway.

No fix it part type threads please just cars, build diaries etc.

If you would like old threads from other parts of the forum moved here, feel free to PM a member of the team to get it moved for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:34 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
That was a good weekend, Kev, with one notable exception.... :bag:

Definitely good numbers for the 9000 - monstrous torque! :cool:

96V4s...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 Aero GT30 Power :D
Yeah did good power, I was happy with what it put out, did more than I thought it would.

At brands again on the 14th (this Saturday coming), and the car is all ready to go, minus a turbo kit and brakes

The m10 studs and nuts unwound and blew the gasket out again, I think it's because the bolts came out the centre cartridge supporting the turbo on the block and that I've been driving her hard, I've now bought a multi layered Nissan gasket and also found out they do a nut locking plate too, but I needed to get it back together today so tack welded the studs and nuts to hopefully stop them unwinding and I can still grind the tacks off if I need to take it apart.
Also remade the wastegate recirc pipe up as it blew the thin flexi pipe out, I didn't put a flexi in it as I didn't have one the right size and needed to get it fixed for the trackday but it's still a pretty good job, changed the v band on the downpipe too as the old one was shot.

Also managed to do it all at work which has been nice as I've been able to do it all much quicker due to having a ramp, also ordered some ds3000 rear pads as the end ones where low and at the same time fitted the Abbott rear discs and fitted the new ds3000 front pads and cleaned the j hooks up on the front discs.

Also the passenger side bonnet latch snapped so would pop up that corner if you where going at reasonable speeds, luckily I had a spare

And also got a pic of the Saab fleet at home :D

The next thing to do it rust as it's bad, but I've got to save up for a bit first as it is much worse than my old anniversary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
Didn't realise you still had the dame. 3 Saabs is a good number to have I feel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:41 pm 
Active user

Now I've been mainly using this on the road I've decided to refine it a little and de race car it a little, I have refitted all the rear seats, fitted some oem rubber mats I had andhave also bought a few missing bits of interior and decided to go full grandad spec and bought a wood dash facia and new door cards with walnut door tops, I'm also planning on fitting standard aero wheels back on but that will require me to sadly loose the front ap racing brakes so that will happen in some time.

How much interest would there be in a big brake kit to fit under the stick wheels?, I'm planning on getting a custom kit made up of wilwood calipers, custom brackets and bells and the biggest discs I can fit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
wheelynutz wrote:
How much interest would there be in a big brake kit to fit under the stick wheels?, I'm planning on getting a custom kit made up of wilwood calipers, custom brackets and bells and the biggest discs I can fit.
I'd be interested in this, depending on price and such. But I'd also be interested in your AP kit if you're getting rid of it. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 pm 
Active user

ommony wrote:
wheelynutz wrote:
I'd be interested in this, depending on price and such. But I'd also be interested in your AP kit if you're getting rid of it. ;)

I've not looked into it hugely at the moment or spoken to the peeps about making brackets and bells but at a quick tot up I'd say it'll be around £1300ish for everything, calipers, pads, discs, bells, brackets etc but that is only a very rough guide on me adding all the bits up separately and adding them together, once I look into it more deeply I will know.
I'll probably keep my ap's for the mean time or until I'm skint, lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5s, five of 'em
Like the transparent tyres. Though I feel they clash with the slipper and pipe look you are going for...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 pm 
Active user

DeeDub8 wrote:
Like the transparent tyres. Though I feel they clash with the slipper and pipe look you are going for...

Lol, I do like the pipe and slippers look, I like to try and hide the fact that it has a gt30 hanging off it, I'm probably going to keep the bucket seats in it as I like the driving feel but I might fit a flat front carlsson steering wheel if I can find a good condition one to replace my personal wheel that I have at the mo to go with the oem theme

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
wheelynutz wrote:
ommony wrote:
wheelynutz wrote:

I've not looked into it hugely at the moment or spoken to the peeps about making brackets and bells but at a quick tot up I'd say it'll be around £1300ish for everything, calipers, pads, discs, bells, brackets etc but that is only a very rough guide on me adding all the bits up separately and adding them together, once I look into it more deeply I will know.
I'll probably keep my ap's for the mean time or until I'm skint, lol

Biggest discs are probably going to be around 308mm as in the 9-5 conversion. Although the wilwood calliper may allow for a slightly bigger disc. There would be no need to go disc and bells a one piece disc would do.
As a rough guide you can buy a big brake kit consisting of 330mm discs wilwood calipers brackets and hoses for &750 plus £150 for postage from the states.

I would guesstimate it could be done for under £700 using one piece 308mm discs.

1.8t vert

Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm 
Active user

So i haven't updated this thread in ages and lots of things have happened so there will be a few updates.

Ibrar at Speedwells did and amazing job straightening and painting my road set of oz's they're amazing and now the car doesn't feel like it wants to shake to bits above 70mph, done in anthracite gloss.

I fitted some wood for the whole gramps spec and took it to work, de stickered it all and just fitted the srd500s stickers for a slight hint :mrgreen: (I work at SRD Tuning to explain the sticker) and fitted a hks boost gauge so i can see what boost i'm actually doing, also fitted an Alpine ezi-dab with bt audio, handsfree etc..., with better front speakers and other bits and bobs, its nice to now have audio

Went to winchester and on the way back the aux belt idler wheel bearing seized and pulley melted and flew off leaving me stranded, Mr Nelliem saved the day and came to the roadside with new parts and helped me fix it, legend

Also went for a drive with some mates in thetford, had a race with my mate in his 360hp mk1 mx5 and once i got grip flew past him, was awesome fun until he took me for a spin and then subsequently the throttle spindle snapping and going through the engine of his mx5, fill up stop on the way there and her a dirty girl from when i got back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:26 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
Hmm, thinking about sticking the OZs back on mine for a change of look. Problem is I still have the standard milk bottle tops for brakes and they look a little lost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm 
Active user

Went for a late night drive with some tuuunes 8)

And spotted this guy :?

Also the drivers side driveshaft sounded like it wanted to fly out a thousand miles or so ago, so Mr Nelliem came and helped me yet again and ripped the driveshafts out, the drivers side was utterly fubar'd, cv joint broken and inner tripod bearing fell apart, passenger side had some play so replaced that too, now has nice non ruined shafts :)

Also a mate of mine, Darren at Atlantic Valeting, have her a needed wash, the whole side was ingrained with ds3000 and took a lot of cleaning, but looking much better

Also Another mate of mine, Dan at Tuned By Dan, put her on the hub dyno to give her a good health check, fueling etc..., he said it could do with a few little tweeks but its so close and good now that its not worth doing anything, thats good news, made good power too, these are hub figures

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 pm 
Active user

oli8925 wrote:
Hmm, thinking about sticking the OZs back on mine for a change of look. Problem is I still have the standard milk bottle tops for brakes and they look a little lost

Didn't realize you had some oz's oli, i do love the 3 spokes and would love them back on mine but they are very bad for brake cooling which is the one reason i haven't done anything yet.

I am still thinking, make some willwoods fit and have quick release dry brake fittings so i can just swap brakes over without needing to bleed everytime, so then i can swap over to the oz's and ap's for track and have the stock wheels and willwoods for sleeper road use
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-03-3AN-JIC ... ePkkvlnpTg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm 
Active user

The next big thing was i booked to do a trackday at blyton, so car all ready and me not having a working car trailer i drove the 9000 up for the 4 and a bit hour drive up to blyton from sussex and camp over with the other lot, i must say i have slept in more comfortable places, bucket seats all night are not than bed like.
Onward bound

My view of the morning

So first thing was to go out and fill the tank with some shell v power and by the time i got back my mate Lawrence in his 360bhp mx5 turned up, got the semi slicks swapped on and checked all the levels and after the briefing we where good to go

Morning went well and loved the track, although probably a bit small for the saab as i was off boost out most corners as 2nd isn't usable, after a while i let Mr Nelleim have the keys so he could have a go as last time i let him drive it was a bit broken at brands

Also a froggy was spotted :argh:, and also a headless mrd2525 can be seem in the same pic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 pm 
Active user

Some pics of the day, it was awesome and i had great fun

All was going well until i lost my clutch pedal mid way through the afternoon, i still had a clutch but the pedal just went solid so i couldn't use the clutch to change gear, here is a vid of pretty much my last run before the clutch went
https://youtu.be/cqsAjI36p2I

So the joy was the 4 hour drive home and to not use the clutch pedal at all, somehow i managed it, 220miles iirc, new personal best for rev matching and using no clutch, lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 pm 
Active user

So got it back and ripped the box out, turns out a spring in the clutch plate had broken out and was caught in the cover

Box is out and she's in bits

Also found out my rear engine mount was in two and also the front one not too much better, so i spoke to mark and ge sent me some pics of what car55 did, so i went about making my own hockey puck engine mount, it cost me probaly like £5-10 in total which is much better than £280 for a genuine one.
I have sleeved the puck to hopefully help it from cracking and also raised the stop the engine pulling on the mount under acceleration

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 pm 
Active user

Also the drivers tripod cup had massive grooves so i went about stripping the mount bracket down, gave everything a good good clean and fitted a new tripod cup

Also have the box a very needed clean while it was out, i also had to cut the gearbox temp sensor as it was routed through a hole in the box which the actual sensor didn't fit through, so i put a 3 pin plug on for ease of removal next time, also fitted a new reverse switch as the old one was fubared and the reverse light didn't work and treated it to some new Millers CFS LS 75-140 oil at £30 chubby quid for 2 litres.

Also froggy put me onto cg motorsport who made a new solid clutch plate for me, well happy with the service

Clutch all fitted and box ready to go back in and put her back together and my hockey puck mount all fitted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 pm 
Active user

All back together and working i took a mate for a spin, he had a big single rx7 fd a few years ago and for him to say this feels quicker than that felt good :D
She needed a damn good clean so gave it to the immigrants and she was gleaming yet again.

Also something that has been bugging me for ages is the jubilee clips on the throttle body silicone, they where too big and looked rubbish, so i fitted some murray clamps, they are the best clamps you can get, i also have one on the compressor housing as everything else just kept popping off, its the little things that matter :mrgreen:

And tomorrow morning i'm driving down to hayle, about a 5 and a bit hour drive, so as i'm taking my dad i have fitted the stock seats back in, god i do love them.

So thats the worlds biggest update finished with and i'm sorry that i have broken your broadband with the amount of pictures that is has tried to upload on the longest thread page on uks :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:59 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5s, five of 'em
You *have* been busy :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:15 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
Awesome build and impressive bhp numbers! Following this for sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next