UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to create build diaries of the basket cases at the bottom of the garden/driveway.

No fix it part type threads please just cars, build diaries etc.

If you would like old threads from other parts of the forum moved here, feel free to PM a member of the team to get it moved for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:04 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 Aeroversary
So as a few of you knew faero put his beloved 9000 up for sale, i was trawling though the classifieds one night and saw he posted and hoped for my wallet that he wasn't selling his car, sadly he was and after a good few chats with phil i ended up purchasing the car off of him.
Phil is/was a very nice bloke and i know how much time and effort (and money) he has put into the car and was nice enough to drive it back to mine for me sunday eve (cheers dude).

The plan with the car is to still use it on track like phil did but tidy it up a little bit, the car does have some rust issues (what 9k doesn't, (quite zag :wink:) ), i am going to cut out all the rot on the rear end just like i did on my anni along with pulling the screen out of it and doing the a pillar, swap the front valance over and then at the end of all my efforts give it to zagato for him to fully sort out all the little niggley bits of grot.

The car has been on a massive diet as some of you may know, including removing the horn and such like to save weight, i'm going to refit all the horn, pull the fuse box from back under the dash and put it in the stock location and a few other bits, i have since now sold the Jk Composite seats as they where just too uncomfortable for me, they where on modified stock runners and as on taking them out weighted a ton, i am going to fit some carbon kevlar corbeau pro series seats that i've had knocking about as they're mega comfy and will actually weigh less than the jk's on stock runners and fit some luke harnesses i also have so my hans device will work on trackdays if i was ever to bin it for any reason.

I have since refitted the stock aero seats until i can modify the corbeau seat mounts and get them fitted, i have also changed the steering wheel for a personal wheel with driftworks snap off boss, i wasn't a massive fan of the nardi that was on there and this wheel suits me much better.

I'm also going to go a little bit more stealthy in time and fit a c900 cam cover which i will crackle black, crackle black the custom inlet, crackle red the di pack and much more under the bonnet, i also in time want to make a full flat floor, front splitter and rear diffuser as i've been out in cars with full aero and the extra grip is unreal (and because race car).

Sneeky little side shot

So more is to come, updates will be slow for a while as i don't have much time to spend on it, but i'll try to get little odds and sods done.

So as of the end of the year my aeroversary will be up for grabs :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:48 am 
Active user

Car Model: 1992 9000 cs carlsson turbo
Great car , I read all of Faeros thread about it , a well sorted weapon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:01 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 AeRoSE LPT saloon
Glad to see it live on in good hands - there's been a fair few man hours put into it already........including the crazy re-shell in a weekend :loco:

You're almost right about the seats - they are a little snug and I guess for anyone with wide hips they could be less than comfy, but they do hold you in well.

Will you be adding a roll cage? I think with the performance on offer that would be a shrewd move...........

9-5 saloon - not long for the world

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:42 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 96L, 9000 Aero 9-3, 9-5
A real Wheelynutz kind of motor 8) the old Anni one was mad quick!

Interesting looking under the bonnet last night, looking forward to going out in it having watched Faero,s race track video :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Will keep an eye on what you'll be up to with it...

Focus B234
Focus ST 336hp
6 Saabs
3 French

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Glad the car has gone to a great new home! - You will have fantastic fun with it although it will of course never be finished but that's a given....

Here's my list of a few things to consider / finish off before I forget!

1) Engine : New plugs and quick check on head bolts but no need to retorque the ARPs unless you find any are loose. Check the drive belt as discussed.

2) Exhaust: Tidy up little leak in the centre section and potentially get a backup for the exhaust v-band clamps as the threads were starting to get a little bit tired on one of them.
I also had issues with the turbo to manifold bolts coming loose (usually when 7k rpm was used) - Now with schnorr washers but suggest making a 13mm cut down socket to get decent leverage to make sure they are tight enough in the first place.

3) Suspension: If you are happy with the fronts, I'd tack weld the coilover conversions to the bilsteians and grind off the original bilstein spring seats to save weight...

4) Rear pads probably have a couple of track days left in them but I'd just get them changed. - You can fit the grooved discs to match the fronts!

5) If you have the kit, you can re-check the front camber - I had set at -1.5deg but didn't reset after doing ball joint and wheel bearing.

Also let me know if the idle doesn't adapt as expected - no probs to give it a quick tweak!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:18 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
I'm so excited for this! Are you keeping it in storage for a little while to sort it or is it road legal right now?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Enjoy (and use).....

Glad it's still UKS based...
Looking forward to seeing some vid evidence of it on track.

Kev
SOULFiRER
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:23 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 96L, 9000 Aero 9-3, 9-5
Thoughts... As the insurance on this likely to be more than the sale price of your Anni and you are going to use your MX as a daily drive... You could keep your Anni and tow the Aero to track days (I suppose track cars have to be insured as well though... Forget that!).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero......GM900i
Bet I could get insured on that for under £400

05 Smart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:49 am 
Active user

mossypossy wrote:
Bet I could get insured on that for under £400

Yeah but your an old git :park:

oli8925 wrote:
I'm so excited for this! Are you keeping it in storage for a little while to sort it or is it road legal right now?

Not gunna run it on the road for a while, it has mot till next year so i just need to tax and insure it but as you know oli i'm only young and the insurance companies like to do me up the bum, i'll see what they say at the end of the year with another years ncd but i'll more than likely be running my itb'd mk1 mx5 instead, not that i'm complaining about that as they're broken awesome to drive.

Zagato wrote:
Thoughts... As the insurance on this likely to be more than the sale price of your Anni and you are going to use your MX as a daily drive... You could keep your Anni and tow the Aero to track days (I suppose track cars have to be insured as well though... Forget that!).

I've got a tow car on hand, i wouldn't want to tow with the anni as it'd just end up wheel spinning down the street or blowing a gearbox up.

faero wrote:
Glad the car has gone to a great new home! - You will have fantastic fun with it although it will of course never be finished but that's a given....

Here's my list of a few things to consider / finish off before I forget!

1) Engine : New plugs and quick check on head bolts but no need to retorque the ARPs unless you find any are loose. Check the drive belt as discussed.

2) Exhaust: Tidy up little leak in the centre section and potentially get a backup for the exhaust v-band clamps as the threads were starting to get a little bit tired on one of them.
I also had issues with the turbo to manifold bolts coming loose (usually when 7k rpm was used) - Now with schnorr washers but suggest making a 13mm cut down socket to get decent leverage to make sure they are tight enough in the first place.

3) Suspension: If you are happy with the fronts, I'd tack weld the coilover conversions to the bilsteians and grind off the original bilstein spring seats to save weight...

4) Rear pads probably have a couple of track days left in them but I'd just get them changed. - You can fit the grooved discs to match the fronts!

5) If you have the kit, you can re-check the front camber - I had set at -1.5deg but didn't reset after doing ball joint and wheel bearing.

Also let me know if the idle doesn't adapt as expected - no probs to give it a quick tweak!

Cheers phil, yep i'll take it all on board and give her a good going over, i do have all the stuff for a 4 wheel laser alignment but i need to get it to work for that.

McVities wrote:
Glad to see it live on in good hands - there's been a fair few man hours put into it already........including the crazy re-shell in a weekend :loco:

You're almost right about the seats - they are a little snug and I guess for anyone with wide hips they could be less than comfy, but they do hold you in well.

Will you be adding a roll cage? I think with the performance on offer that would be a shrewd move...........

Might get a cage made at some point but that is going to cost thousands so its gunna stay without one at the mo, saabs are so strong i can get away with it more than my roofless mx5's :argh:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:23 pm 
Active user

Brands hatch has been booked for the 27th of this month (next Tuesday) so have got to get into gear and get it ready.

I got a friend of mine to weld up the extension pieces for the corbeau runners i made onto the runners, so then on sunday i went by drilling the mounts and fitting the seats, much more comfy than the jk's and sit lower too, along with being lighter due to getting rid of the modded stock runners that where used for the jk's which weighed a ton, i've also ordered some harnesses eyelets from demon thieves (sorry demon tweeks) so i should be able to fit the harnesses soon.

Glovebox is now all back in it as i had to take the airbag face panel off to get the the fuse box to take the daytime running light fuse out to stop the lights being on all the time as the battery is pretty bad although it now lives on trickle charge, and wanted to fit the glove box back in, also put the lead for the ecu in there too to make it a bit neater, will be putting the side carpet trims back in when i get some spares.

Going to drop it off to work on friday eve so i can give it a going over at the weekend, the rad cap is leaking badly so need to attend to that along with the non working number plate lights or side repeaters but they can wait.

Modding the seat mounts so they reach the stock holes

Mr Nelliem sitting in his short legged driving position :wink:

And new Corbeau Pro series seats in

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:44 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
Tempted to get the 27th off work and see you there.

The seats look quite at home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:46 pm 
Active user

Come along oli, Mark is coming along, taking the mk2 mx5 too and Lee is driving that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:56 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 AeRoSE LPT saloon
is it a daytime track day or an evening session?

Might pop along if it's in the evening...........

9-5 saloon - not long for the world

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:52 am 
Active user

Daytime, although evening track days are planned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:42 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: '98 9000 cse (aero) Lpg
Fancy selling me your black aero seats cheap now that you no longer need them :D :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:55 pm 
Active user

No :D
I'm going to put them in my container along with the rear seats and parcel shelf then in 10 years time they will be one of the cleanest set of black aero seats out there.
Also nelliem is trying to steal them off me :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:54 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9000 Aero
wheelynutz wrote:
I'm going to put them in my container along with the rear seats and parcel shelf then in 10 years time they will be one of the cleanest set of black aero seats out there.
Also nelliem has already done a deal with me for them :shock:

I've edited that for you J :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:01 pm 
Active user

Nelliem wrote:
wheelynutz wrote:
Also nelliem has already done a deal with me for them :shock:

I've edited that for you J :)

:shock: