UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.
(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
Quad_cam_turbo wrote:
Car 55 wrote:
Should sound nice... even nicer if you removed the centre silencer and straight piped it.. :lol:

You're right but I'm concerned it'll get a bit too loud! I think I'll always run a centre box but I'll replace with stainless at some stage in the near future.

Might install cutouts. Depends how much this pops and bangs :D

Here's mine with the 3" decatted DP & MP, new resonator and rear silencers deleted

https://youtu.be/157eJOCUIR0

https://youtu.be/abtMT-tpxkY

I'm really tempted to fit the rumble box from the TX and ditch the middle resonator. Hasn't got the crackle you get with the TX sysyem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
As good as that sounds Griff, my neighbours and my wife would be tearing me a new one I reckon if I had that system on my motor! We live in a quiet cul-de-sac where most people know each other.

As it is, it seems like the car is beginning to adjust to the loss of a pre-cat and the extra airspace available to move exhaust gasses. It's started giving a bit of a crackle which, courtesy of the stock system is nicely audible!

https://youtu.be/uhb3_0EylAM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
Yep defo not neighbour friendly!! I sacked my other security job off a few months before fitting it so no more 4am starts, it's properly loud especially cold start up. Also drones a bit around 2k, then goes a little quiet and then goes mad.

Really need to get a drive past vid of it when it goes bonkers above 3k :) sounds like there's a screamer pipe fitted :)

I think the electric cut out was around 400 quid fitted when I asked Prospeed, he had a Jag XKR in the shop getting it done, sounded normal with it closed but really loud with it open, said it would sound like mine is now, could also open it slightly for a bit more of a deeper tone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am 
Saab Nut

Griffin Dai wrote:
Really need to get a drive past vid of it when it goes bonkers above 3k :) sounds like there's a screamer pipe fitted :)

I think the electric cut out was around 400 quid fitted when I asked Prospeed, he had a Jag XKR in the shop getting it done, sounded normal with it closed but really loud with it open, said it would sound like mine is now, could also open it slightly for a bit more of a deeper tone.

That sounds about right. I'm impressed at how aggressive the note is above 2.5K on mine now. It's almost undetectable inside the car cruising around normally and sat on a motorway doing 70-75, but as soon as you give it beans, the car comes to life and makes a great raspy sound.

I'd contemplated fitting cut outs but I think I'll probably not now as the sound it now has is almost sleeper-esque, which is more what I'm after.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:17 pm 
Saab Nut

Have done about 70miles in her since the downpipe was fitted. No trouble so far and she's definitely improving!

Getting a lovely bit of crackle and pop now! Happy days!
https://youtu.be/niAnxHCgpqE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 Vector Anniversary 1.9TiD
It's nice to see YT videos of all the hard work.

I'm drooling, it sounds very nice, presumably also sounds terrific from the driver's seat with the top down. 8)

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up with a V6 'vert, just not sure when yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:12 pm 
Saab Nut

cozzykim wrote:
It's nice to see YT videos of all the hard work.

I'm drooling, it sounds very nice, presumably also sounds terrific from the driver's seat with the top down. 8)

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up with a V6 'vert, just not sure when yet.

It sounds awesome with the roof down :lol: . Rather more subtle with it up surprising.

The sooner you scratch that itch the better! (cheaper - do it before summer or after when the costs are lower).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 am 
Saab Nut

Wow, has it been this long?!

Think I got a bit disinterested after Photobucket decided to dick the internet about as they have with broken links but I've been back through my PB account and transferred everything to imgur and updated the links! That's 2 hours of my lift gone, but not in vain!

Lots has happened since April.

In May, I got my stage 3+ tune out of JZW. Frankly, the car is like a rocket now. It's still holding the power in 3rd provided traction control is on and 4th will accept full throttle above 3,500K RPM provided there isn't a load of weight in it or we're going up a big hill. Drop to 3rd and no trouble.
Sachs performance clutch and pressure plate will be on the cards very soon.

August saw the invitation to an event for Car and Classic magazine "classy convertibles" which will be released in March 2018.
Got to park outside the Goodwood member's club (Kennel Club) which is usually highly frowned upon!

Have been to a few Saab meets with the Kent&Sussex lot on FB.

In Early September, I installed a Forge T3 turbo blanket. After a couple of modifications to the blanket, it fits tightly and was broken in in about 2 days (beware, they smoke a lot). I also wrapped the downpipe.

In recent times I've made an investment in Do88 gear (coolant, pressure/intercooler tubes and metal intake)

Before intake kit:

Check out the size of the intake tube to turbo!

Quick check of the turbo intake side - looks healthy. A little bit of oil, but it appears to be entering from the intake pipe so undoubtedly it's from the crankcase and nothing of concern.

After intake kit fitted:

Beware, it's a difficult thing to fit and in speaking with other people on facebook, I'm not the only one who's had trouble. However, I am one of the few who has a unit where both mounting points align, which is something. I've got a silicone hose joiner on its way to mate the crankcase breather to the alloy spur off the intake. The welding is a little messy, though being aluminium, I sympathise with the manufacturer. Currently, it is self-amalagamating-taped together with some exhaust wrap around it to make it red. A silicone tube would finish it better so give it a week and it'll be on. At the same time, I'll be tidying up the cut to the bonnet catch panel I had to make to permit it to seat. I only had hand tools available when I did the work, but will be able to get a dremel on it in the coming weeks.

I'm blessed with my working area sometimes!

Next job is the coolant lines and full metal pressure tube kit. That is a bumper off job as far as I'm concerned so will put this off until the new year.

Also in November, it went through it's MOT with no concerns at all. 1 advisory on a bit of play in one of the bushes around the NSF, I forget exactly, but cheap and easy job to do so will get on it shortly with the garage. Emissions were of no concern which gives me faith that the 200 cell cat is doing its job just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 am 
Saab Nut

The Engine bay is beginning to sport a little more demonstration of the power within but something seemed to be lacking...
The cover just looked, well, boring.

I couldn't help myself - I added many more horsepowers through the application of certain stickers (cue dojo dog meme "such powers, such awesome!")!

Intercooler metal pressure pipes yet to be installed but this is a great place to be at the moment!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 am 
Saab Nut

Try as a I might, I just couldn't accept the yellow flashes which graced the engine bay courtesy of the oil and coolant caps. The oil cap was particularly grubby and even using acetone and carb cleaner, I couldn't get the worst of the grime to lift. Oil filler cap was the worst.

After a keying with 400 grit, a couple of coats of etching primer, a couple of coats of red spray and 4 coats of oil resistant lacquer, the job was complete (silicone hose example pictured to show colour match).

And all fitted. I didn't do the dipstick or the windscreen washer filler cap as I felt they actually looked right in yellow and the dipstick stands out now. Quite happy with how this is coming along.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:10 pm 
Saab Nut

Having driven the car for a few weeks now with the drilled airbox, I missed the sound which an open filter gave. As it is quite cold, the open filter doesn't make a massive difference to the IAT.

Love having the growly intake sound and the sound of the BOV echoing down the intake pipework which, as it's now metal, really amplifies it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:32 pm 
Saab Nut

Having received a dremel for Christmas I took the opportunity to tidy up the cut in the front slam panel to accommodate the larger air intake.

Also fitted the header tank do88 coolant lines. This engine bay is slowly taking shape!

Next job; replacing the vac lines with some tasty red tubing. Determined to make this engine bay more colourful!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:05 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9.3 Aero
Just read through this all in one sitting. Impressive work you've done.

Odd question. What reversing sensors have you used as most I've found protrude and I like the look where they're 'sunk in' like yours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 am 
Saab Nut

Raymond wrote:
Just read through this all in one sitting. Impressive work you've done.

Odd question. What reversing sensors have you used as most I've found protrude and I like the look where they're 'sunk in' like yours

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated.

The sensors are the stock SPA (Saab park assist) system which would otherwise have been factory fitted. They are all slightly recessed into the bumper plastics. The total kit was bought in parts and you need Tech2 to activate it or marry the SPA ECU to the car (it sits in the boot) to the left as you look inside.

Parts required: Bumper strip, parking sensors and bumper loom, Boot loom and SPA ECU and approximately 60 minutes to fit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9.3 Aero
Cheers for that. It's going on my todo list.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:51 pm 
Saab Nut

Replaced turbocharger breather pipes and vac pipes at the turbo end with silicon hosing today. 10mm, 8mm and 6mm hosing was used and a couple of water hose clips used to keep pipes in place. The breather hose underneath the foil/fibreglass protection was extremely brittle and had fractured in a place. What once was pliable rubber had become like hard plastic with all the heat over the years.

Also began foiling things (battery lid is the first), in an attempt to reflect heat away from the more vulnerable parts of the engine bay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:45 pm 
Saab Nut

With the car at 119k miles I treated her to a fresh set of coils on the rear bank as well as a replacement evap purge valve as the original one on the car was ticking.

At the same time I replaced all the breather pipework with 6mm or 8mm silicone pipework.
Here are the original tubes which were hard as nails and made replacing spark plugs and coils a bit challenging. Some find that they shear connections in the system because the pipework is so inflexible it passes stress from bending it out the way through to those plastic joints causing them to crack.

I carefully sliced the old pipework off the connectors to preserve them. Be careful and wear cut resistant gloves.
Here's the result.

And this is an example of why I was doing it. Most of the hoses were showing signs of splitting or fracture.

Almost sad to tuck it all out of sight but hey, that's where GM put it in the first place so back it goes between the firewall and the rear cylinder bank.

I then prepped and painted the cam cover silver and bolt heads black. Nothing special, just galv silver spray and gloss black. Masked off the edges and used cardboard to block. I hadn't been able to get the finish I'd wanted with other paints or just with sanding and polishing mediums so I decided to brighten the silver painted finish.

All in all, productive and good preventative maintenance.

Last edited by Quad_cam_turbo on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:05 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 convertible Aero MMI
Doing a top job with that car. Where did you get the silicone hoses from?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:12 pm 
Saab Nut

Bricktop wrote:
Doing a top job with that car. Where did you get the silicone hoses from?

Thanks matey, with virtually no exception I use ASH (Auto Silicone Hoses) which are supplied by the EBay vendor Autoperformanceonline.

I've tried a few suppliers in the past and these seemed to have good wall thickness and be of good quality in general.

I have a few meters of each hose here so just cut them to length to replace perishing rubber and pvc hosing where I find it and as I go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:49 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 oil burner
very nice, very nice, good work, especially with the pcv breather hoses, a common fault which you seem to have nailed, now patent it and start producing them, just a thought ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next