UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.
(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:52 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
jimmyj wrote:
Why did I look at this... chubby hell. Good thread.

Inspiration? And thanks :D

Fitted a complete Saab park Assist system (breaker's bits) over the weekend. Bumper off, repair some holes in it by plastic Welding the pieces in, all assembled, back in place and added SPA via my Tech2 clone.

Brilliant!

Also got a mate who works for a mobile chip/dent repair firm coming round in a few weeks as there are a few spots needing attention (including the bumper bits I plastic welded!). It's good having mates! Pics to follow. Although here is the lady as she presently stands.

Last edited by Quad_cam_turbo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2.8T v6 9-3SS
Inspiration indeed. I wanted to map mine and still do but said to myself I'll just keep it standard. But your thread has got me thinking again. Liking the Saab badge on the side.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:10 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks. I got the sticker from isaydingdong and cut the Swedish flag off the top.

The remap is worth every penny, but you will want to budget in a clutch just in case you need it.

Best thing about this car is its 'sleeper' status. You can eat most cars in a run up to 70 ;-) but they won't think it.

Stage 3+ will beckon me soon!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:07 am 
Active user

Car Model: 2.8T v6 9-3SS
I've got an auto so still in two minds. But Something tells me it should be slightly better than manual

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:57 pm 
Saab Nut

Not been updating this much recently so here's the audio install I did over the weekend.
Fitted a pair of JVC 240 watt, 4 way speakers through a low line level converter, connected to the speaker cables at amp1. I'm only using low frequencies to drive bass through the 6x9s so the speakers are overkill on features but they were also free...

I hate cutting into car wiring if I don't have to so I made a loom to connect the speakers to the car's loom.

Also located the amp in the rear quarter of the boot where it'd be easy to adjust levels. There's space for another :-D. Currently running a remote lead from the cigarette lighter to signal wake up to the amp. Anyone help with a switched live feed in the boot?

Last edited by Quad_cam_turbo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:53 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 Aero
Any chance you can tell me what terminal connections you've used to plug into the Saab speaker connector? I've got upgraded speakers but I too don't want to be cutting/chopping wires I don't need to. A photo of the connectors without heat shrink covering them would be good :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:58 am 
Saab Nut

Born armed wrote:
Any chance you can tell me what terminal connections you've used to plug into the Saab speaker connector? I've got upgraded speakers but I too don't want to be cutting/chopping wires I don't need to. A photo of the connectors without heat shrink covering them would be good :wink:

I just used fork terminals with one side cut off using a pair of diagonal cutting pliers (or side cutters if you will.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:47 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 Aero
Cool, thanks for the tip. Got plenty of those connectors :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:26 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
How's the clutch holding up? :park:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:18 am 
Saab Nut

Griffin Dai wrote:
How's the clutch holding up? :park:

Alright thankfully mate. She's only slipping near max load so in low rpm in 4Th and above.

I'm toying with clutch AND quaife LSD but double glazing on the house apparently takes precedence despite the fact that you can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:23 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
Women eh!! I can't understand how ther brains work at times :wink:

Just be a bit careful canning it low down in 4th, that's how mine started slipping. Speaking to John he recommends dropping down to 3rd and go from there if you want to go really really quick

Some talk on vxrol about a CG twin plate clutch that should hold around 550ft/lbs. But needs a 182mm flywheel made for it. No issues with my 777 kit (yet!!) But have only put around 2k on there.

Check out the Wavetrac diff before you go for the Quaife, meant to be a bit better from what I've been told. I'd have gone for this one if I'd known about it :wall:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:48 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: TX T16S TTID v6 vert
Excellent!

09 Turbo X #211
92 C900 T16s
08 93 vert Aero TTID
60 93 sportswagon Aero TTID

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:00 am 
Saab Nut

Griffin Dai wrote:
Women eh!! I can't understand how ther brains work at times :wink:

Just be a bit careful canning it low down in 4th, that's how mine started slipping. Speaking to John he recommends dropping down to 3rd and go from there if you want to go really really quick

Some talk on vxrol about a CG twin plate clutch that should hold around 550ft/lbs. But needs a 182mm flywheel made for it. No issues with my 777 kit (yet!!) But have only put around 2k on there.

Check out the Wavetrac diff before you go for the Quaife, meant to be a bit better from what I've been told. I'd have gone for this one if I'd known about it :wall:

Agreed on all fronts. I'll have a look at the Wavetrac but it'll come down to cost as I'm not likely to be piling track miles on this car!
I reckon on going down the CG route and probably a 777 too like you have.

Nate wrote:
Excellent!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:24 am 
Saab Nut

Used the excellent Good Friday weather, along with a mate sorting the rear bumper out as the previous owner may have been unaware of the width and length of the car (which, to be fair did not have parking sensors when I bought it).

Last edited by Quad_cam_turbo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: TX T16S TTID v6 vert
Nice finish... Haha amazing what you can do at home

09 Turbo X #211
92 C900 T16s
08 93 vert Aero TTID
60 93 sportswagon Aero TTID

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:18 am 
Saab Nut

Nate wrote:
Nice finish... Haha amazing what you can do at home

And with the right tools :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:11 am 
Saab Nut

Full LED light upgrade for interior lights.
Think it was a 45mm festoon (got COB LED bulbs) for footwell, doors and boot, and for the overhead it was 3 x W5W / 501 sidelight bulbs. The centre one is a pig to change if the bulb you have is a little on the large side - I had to cut some of the reflector out to facilitate a fit. For the Map Lights I used small COB LEDs as, again, the space is limited. These could be used on the main light too.

Below pictures taken in a pitch black garage - the door lighting is exceptional and I'd recommend it. The footwell lighting is a little bright in super-dark conditions but outside the garage, even at night, I'd not considered it offensive. Shouldn't be having the door open while you're driving anyway...

Also took a flexible LED strip (5050 smd, 1m long) and stuck it to the inside of the boot ceiling. It's just long enough to poke under the boot side carpets at both ends and it's wired directly into the boot light itself. A very useful mod as the original boot light is next to useless once a few things are in there.

Last edited by Quad_cam_turbo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:29 pm 
Saab Nut

Mini 0805 1080P @ 45FPS installed covertly behind the rear view mirror. GPS works well through the screen to give position but I've switched the display of speed off because 320bhp.

Wired in directly off the auto-dip mirror using half sized female spade connectors. This circuit is ignition switched as standard.

Last edited by Quad_cam_turbo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:38 pm 
Saab Nut

I've wanted to put an induction kit on the car for a while, but the cost of the BSR Optiflow systems I find difficult to stomach. In my opinion, it is totally a cosmetic or billy-big-balls mod, and frankly, the latter was why I did the following.

I made a heatshield out of cardboard to get an idea of how and where it would fit.
Then I made a version out of 1mm sheet steel. I put motorcycle screen trim edging around the 86mm hole I bored in it to guide the 84mm ram air pipe and also on the base (the cut away follows the line of the engine mount) and enameled it black. The fixings came from various things I had about - for instance, the main one at the rear is a motorbike tail tidy indicator bracket.

I've always preferred the sound to that of an atmospheric dump valve. It's deeper, runs for longer and doesn't sound like a boy racer blow off valve. Performance gain? None, smiles gain? Loads!

Last edited by Quad_cam_turbo on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
Nice work.
Often wondered if the 'heat shield' actually really serves any purpose though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next