UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:05 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2009 9-5 1.9TiD TE Auto Est.
So, I exchanged the 04 9-5 2.2TiD Wagon for a 58 9-5 1.9TiD Wagon, and I though I would create a project for it, even though I am not planning anything significant at the moment.

I bought it just before Christmas, and it is a Turbo Edition in Nocture Blue, with only 53k miles on it. All the ususal extras that came with the TE, as well as a roof spoiler, privacy windows (film, so presumably aftermarket) and Parrot phone kit.

Definately a step change from the 2.2TiD, I'm enjoying the extra power and torque from the 1.9TiD, and the chassis feels much sportier. It is already on my winter wheels and tyres, and I have replaced the head light bulbs, as one went. Have put silvered indicator bulbs in the side repeaters, put left those at the front, as it's a bumper off job to change them - whose idea was that!!

Other items on the to do / wish list: - fit a towbar, replace the shark fin, get cavity wax in the rear of the sills and the bottom of the tailgate (this is where my old 2.2 was rusting), and a remap.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:11 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Fitted these yesterday, and cleaned the EGR valve whilst it was out.

Pretty easy to unbolt the EGR, but took a while to sus out how to release the electrical connector - You Tube to the rescue:-)

Before

After

Only took it round the block afterwards to check the CEL stayed off. Will see if it feels any different on the way into work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

So having had a CEL for P1109 swirl valves come up several times (see http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=164504 ), I had a new inlet manifold and actuator fitted today, covered by the warranty that came with the car. The EGR valve was also cleaned at the same time.

Shiny new inlet manifold

Sooty old one

Not sure where the issue was, as the valves movement felt smooth to me, but at only 55k miles, it is pretty sooty, and the soot appears oily in areas. I already have the partial EGR blanking plates in, but am now keen to get the full ones fitted to keep the new manifold clean.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:12 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

As I tow a caravan, I needed a towbar one the DE, but this has proved to be problematical. Thought I would go for a Brink detachable, which I had fitted locally.

Initially pleased with it, until I realised how close the ball was to the bumper. This one sat at 63mm (towball centre to bumper), whereas the flange ball on my previous estate was was nearer 80mm (to the bumper protection plate). The Alko 2004 hitch on my caravan needs 67mm min.

Fortunately, I know some of the engineers at Brink, so after a bit of discussion (the fact that towbars are now homologated, meant I could not drill extra holes in the brackets to increase the clearance with the detachable), they sent me a swan neck to try. I fitted it this weekend and the clearance is 73mm. Still tighter than I would like, but greater than the 67mm required.

Just need to pop up to the caravan and hitch up to see what it looks like.

Update - have now towed with the car, and there is enough clearance for the Alko hitch not to hit the bumper on cornering and manoeuvring. I just need to be careful when reversing to hitch up !

Last edited by ashley750 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Fitted some LED sidelight bulbs a month or so ago, two of these.

Noticed yesterday, that the lens / cover on one of them had fallen off.

Now need to find a way to get it out :loco:. Hopefully, a stick with double sided tape on the end will allow me to fish it out to glue back on.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
Interesting read on this thread.
I've got a similar car, 2007 (MY08) 9-5 derv Vector Sport.

Possibly try blue tak on the end of a stick, I've used this method for many a dropped bulb/bolt/etc......

Mine had a manifold replacement at around 55K as well! I haven't had the EGR off yet, have done 4K miles in the last 6 weeks and all seems fine at the moment. Will take it off and clean it in the next week or three, interested to see how gunked up it is after 71K miles.

Love those wheels, possibly my fave 9-5 spec wheel.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:00 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I got the lense out using double sided tape on a piece of plastic, however I managed to unclip the inner small plastic cover over the sidelight in the process :( . Luckily a firm thump to the front of the headlamp got it back into position :D .

There was no evidence of the lens ever having been glued into the lamp body, so superglued it back in.

Took the other one out and applied superglue to that for good measure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:58 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

I have now had the car remapped to circa 180 BHP & 380 Nm, and what a difference. The torque is brilliant and I can now accelerate up hills with the caravan on the back :D (something the 2.2 struggled to do).

While I have had the EGR mapped out, I have left the DPF alone, and also ended up keeping the swirl valves operating. I tried the car with and without the swirl valves, and the difference was quite interesting. With them disabled, the engine would rev up very quickly on pressing the accelerator, but it felt like the auto box was being left behind and struggling to catch up with the engine. With them enabled, it all feels more progressive with the auto box keeping up with the increase in engine speed.

The remapping was carried out by a guy known as Teapot on the Vectra C forum. He has lots of very good reviews on that forum, so thought I would make the trek to Woodbridge to see him. I'm so pleased that I did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:27 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

OK, so I've got a Teapot remap, but I just couldn't resist popping a Hirsch badge on the back - just to show it has a bit more oomph than standard :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:48 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Although not as bad as some I have seen, my sharkfin was past it's best, so replaced it last month with an inexpensive one off the bay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-7X-5-3 ... xyRhBS18LS)

Image Image

It was OK, as it came, but I decided to sand it down, and then resprayed it in Nocturne Blue to match the car.

Image Image

Glued together some large washers to go inside, and smeared them with sealant as additional water proofing.

Image Image

Fitted it following the instructions in one of sgoulds posts. Very easy, and looks so much better that the original one :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:57 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

At long last, I got around to fitting an auto dim mirror I have had kicking around. Will be useful now the nights are starting to draw in. I used the instructions available at http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2007100 ... irror/?all and it was straight forward to do.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:02 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I spent a few day on rust prevention last week. My old 04MY estate went along the bottom of the tailgate and at the back of the sills, so I decided prevention was better than cure on the 09MY.

I tackled the tail gate first. The inside showed no signs of corrosion, but was treated to a coat of Bilt Hamber Dynax-S50.

Image Image

Next job was removing the rear wheel arch liners and the sill covers. After breaking half the studs removing the plastic nuts on my old car, I used a multi tool to cut them all off, which worked a treat. But found dirt already starting to build up behind the wheel arch liner.

Image Image

I cleaned off the loose surface rust, and sprayed with Bilt Hamber Electrox primer, before brushing on a coat of Bilt Hamber Dynax-UB. The sills were then filled with Dynax-S50, some of which dripped on the drive.

Image Image

Image Image

I then repeated the process for the front wheel aches, removing the liners, cleaning and coating with the Dynax-UB, and I also gave the front subframe a coat for good measure. Found several lump of foam behind the front liners, presumably for sound deadening, but seemed to be working well as water collectors!!

Image Image

Final job was to remove all four door cards, and spray Dynax-S50 inside the bottom of each door. Forgot to take any photos of these. All this should mean the rust is kept at bay :-)

Last edited by ashley750 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:13 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

And after all the rust proofing a wash, polish and wax.

Image Image

And then it rained :-(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:41 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Took the car down to Ant9-5Aero's yesterday for a water pump and cambelt change. He did a great job and made it look so easy, although having all the right tools to hand helps, I'm not sure my standard sockets would have fitted in some of the tight spots!! I was intending to wander off into his local town, but ended up watching him and talking Saabs, a thoroughly enjoyable morning :-)

Image Image

The car was at 61000 miles, and I had timed the change just right, as on removal we found there was play in the water pump bearing. I now have a shiny new pump, belt, idler and tensioner fitted and its ready for another 60k.

Image Image

We hooked it up to Tech 2, as I have been having a P1900 fault code pop up on a regualr basis. This is an issue with the front exhaust temperature sensor, but all looked OK. I also noticed that the DPF was only at 46%, so my driving style is not causing any issues with that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Slight altercation with a very low brick wall on Monday evening :(

Scratched front bumper

Broken bumper lug

Smashed air filter cover

More for the to do list!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

A new air filter cover was found on eBay, delivered and fitted, and I repaired the broken tab with a piece of aluminium sheet, cut to shape, and rivetted / superglued on.

Image Image

The scratches on the bumper can wait until the weather gets warmer for spraying.

I also changed the engine oil, after battling to get the sump plug out - Irwin Bolt Grips suceeded where sockets and a chisel failed. The air filter was changed as well. Fuel filter and cabin filters are next to be done.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:03 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Got a few jobs done over the Bank Holiday weekend. First was to replace front and rear pads, and the front discs, quite a straight forward job and took the opportunity to paint the calipers at the same time. Kept it conservative, and used black Hammerite, although half tempted to add some SAAB stickers in silver or grey.

Before

Old vs new - front pads were getting rather thin!!
Image Image

After
Image Image

As I'm at 64k miles, I did the first of 3 drain and fills on the auto gearbox. Turned out to be an easy job, as the fill point had a small green plastic dipstick, once this was removed a length of 13mm copper pipe with a slight bend was used to refill. The old fluid was dark, but not as bad as I thought it might be.

Image Image

I also drained the coolant, once I had wriggled the petcock open - not easy to get at it - and have filled with distilled water. Will fill and flush with water a couple of times before refilling with coolant.

Also tried to change the fuel filter, but gave up as it was very tight, and I did not want to risk damaging anything by forcing it. Especially as it looks like the mounting bracket is fixed to the plastic tank. Daft idea, would be so much better if they had mounted it on the body.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:21 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 03 95 Aero Wagon
I should probably do some removal and anti rust type stuff. Looks lovely and clean for a devil's fuel sipper anyway! ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:45 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-3 Tid turbo edition
Enjoy this thread, I have a 9-3 TE 1.9 TiD so it's nice to see a 'normal' well looked after car getting some love

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
Good thread, do keep the updates coming. Am also running a DE diesel so it's great to see another similar car project thread.