UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.
(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:02 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 Aero con
Wheel arch rust and hood cover on my old convertible. Brilliant paint match.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:14 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
Good to hear. This one needs a new front bumper, and a repaint for the rear (+ Hirsch spoiler + new mirror covers). I had hoped to to clean up the front during this work but it has a few crack and a fair bit of filler from a bump it had in the past so I won't bother. Nothing too noticeable unless you know where to look.

Managed to make a good chunk of progress this weekend. All fluids drained, turbo/manifold off and the intake manifold changed over. Massive thanks to my dad as always for the help. All went surprisingly well, about 5/6 hours start to finish for the manifold. Interestingly he pointed out something myself and motorvation had missed, the control rod for the flaps was missing completely, so all this time only one was active. No wonder it was struggling.

The turbo seems in really good shape, no play and it wasn't dripping with oil as we expected. A bit of oil in the intercooler but not as much as expected, but the piping and manifold was considerably oily. I'm still thinking of sending it to turbo technics for peace of mind but he isn't sure.

Only other thing needed now is to get to the ECU. I did buy a wiper arm puller which wasnt string enough and split its nut in half. Wiper arm didn't budge at all, so I'm probably going to have to bend that end of the scuttle cover up which makes me uneasy. Then I'll buy a second ECU and send it to Teapot for a stage 1 and EGR delete.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by oli8925 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 DE Aero stage 3+ Quaife
Good luck keep at it mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Turbo has been assessed by Turbo Technics who advised the thrust bearing was mullered and the main source of the oil leak, and there was slightly excessive carbon build up causing the VN mech to stick a bit. Will hopefully have that back by the end of the week to go back on over the weekend.

A second ECU has also just arrived, it's a different part number because the only matching ones were over £100 and in Lithuania, but Teapot thinks this one should be compatible, so that will be heading up to him in the morning for the EGR delete.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:27 pm 
Saab Nut

Know what I'll be doing tomorrow! Unfortunately no ECU so won't be able to push the oil through and get it completely installed until next weekend but I can get it 99% back together. Quite looking forward to having a bit of comfort on the commute to be honest, must be getting old.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 pm 
Saab Nut

All went back together mostly to plan. My arms look like I've gone 10 rounds with an angry feline.

Unfortunately the replacement ECU with the Teapot map didn't work. Turns over nicely but won't fire, dropped the original map back in and it fires straight up so either the new ECU is fudged or its not compatible as it's a different part number. So I might have to spend on the correct part number, really don't want to alter the Hirsch map (and would quite like Teapot's) but I want to keep the EGR delete to prevent having the same problems in the future.

Llthe car looks a bit better with black glasses too, needs a very good clean though. Next jobs are to change the OBD2 port as the plug's broken, clean and redye the seats, replace rear arm bushes. Not looking forward to that. MOT isn't far away either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm 
Saab Nut

So I thought it was all ok, checked it the next morning, fine. Drive the family down to a park in Hythe. Checked it, fine. Drive back, all good. Checked it, big oily puddle.

The two gaskets I had forgotten to order were for the oil return from the turbo, and it was one of the connections onto the turbo that was leaking. For the return I used the one TT supplied, thinking it would be ok, turns out it wasn't. Picked up a couple of new gaskets from Motorvation yesterday and fitted them in the dark tonight and it looks as though it's done the job. Fingers crossed. I'll take it to work in the morning to find out!

New ECU is also on its way from Teapot so we'll see if this one works. If not, plan C!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:28 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2009 9-5 1.9TiD TE Auto Est.
How did you de-chrome it? Was it easy to get all the chrome bits off to paint?

I have got used to the chrome now, so would not want to go to a colour, but could be tempted by a satin chrome look, similar to the kits done by Hirsch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:19 pm 
Saab Nut

I just cleaned really well with degreaser and panel wipe then attacked it with plasti-dip cans. Used about 3 in total. A couple of light coats first to aid adhesion then 3 thick wet coats as you should with plasti-dip. I'm not sure how well it'll last to be honest but it's very easy to use and reversible so no harm. There may or may not be adhesion promoter and primer for plasti-dip but I'm not sure. Doing it again I'll probably get it professionally done to last.

They simply unbolt/prise off the bonnet but the bumper trim took a fair bit of man handling with the bumper off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:41 pm 
Saab Nut

Managed 45mpg down to work and back today, including the town bits at each end. If it can keep that up I'll be over the moon. Quite a difference to the 38 it was averaging just before I took it off the road for the work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 am 
Saab Nut

Quick update on this old girl. With Teapot's help we managed to get a spare ECU of the same part number mapped and working on the car, EML went out for the first time in god knows how long! This was about two months ago and for the last month I've been back on the usual work commute, 60 miles per day of winding country A-roads. In the last few weeks the car seems to be getting better and better. The DPF regens are happening as expected and are noticeable, and the MPG has increased to a consistent 46+ over a 3000 mile average. The car has just ticked over 110k miles too, glad she's getting better in her old age. As a comparison to my old E46 320s manual, that achieved 47MPG when it was running well...which wasn't often. Considering the 9-5 is bigger, heavier and with an auto box I think it's doing pretty well.

In between the weather changing whenever it likes I'm trying to machine polish it all , so far I've managed to do the roof and bonnet but it's difficult with it doing long daily drives too. I'll take some pics of the finished car and then get on with cleaning up the leather seats. Driver's has been done and has come up nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:30 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 HOT Aero
snap, plastidip too but with a couple of coats of the glossifier too to take away from the matt look.

Attachments:
DSC_0388.jpg
DSC_0388.jpg [ 231.31 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm 
Saab Nut

Mine now has a couple of stone chips. Undecided whether to try filling the gaps with plasti-dip or take them all off and have them professionally sprayed. Such a faff though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:05 pm 
Saab Nut

Another year of ownership passed and not much to update. I've now done a little over 40k miles in it. Since the inlet manifold work and until recently it had been running really well.

As it's now ticked over 120k miles I booked it into my trusted indie to have the cambelt and water pump replaced. While there they replaced the aux belt tensioner idle pulley as it was pretty noisy, and turned out to be on its last legs. All that came to a significant sum, and then two days later it died, to be confirmed as the alternator.

So this weekend I fitted an alternator and a new battery which should hopefully keep it going for a bit longer. I had thought about fitting the better Bosch unit but assumed the original Denso had lasted 120k miles so another would do the life of the car. I then changed my mind and bought a re-manufactured unit from a decent company to save a bit of money, with the plan to DIY refurb the old alternator as a spare. On removal of the old alternator it turns out this was a re-manufactured unit anyway so I'm not sure how long to expect it to last. Never mind. Neither of them seem to be marked as Denso but the new one was advertised as genuine Denso - fingers crossed.

When putting it back together I noticed some marks on the belt that raised suspicion, so popped to my local ECP to pick up a new belt. For £15 I thought I might as well. Turned out to be a good decision.

Next up I still need to do the rear suspension bushes, and now wonder if the subframe bushes could do with being done. I'd also like to do quite a bit of bodywork tidying, add a spoiler and put the updated auto-dim door mirrors on but with mileage ever increasing, value dropping and an increasing desire to get back into a daily petrol I'm unsure about spending unnecessary money on it. During the past week while the 9-5 has been out of action I've commuted in my MX5 track car. Considering the (at times) wet and freezing whether I hadn't been looking forward to it but I've really enjoyed being back in something silly, and something that rewards you when you want to be silly, despite the motorway cruising at over 4000rpm and all it's many other quirks. If I could afford the petrol I'd sell this and get my grey 9000 back for the daily commute but I'd be bankrupt within 6 months :(