UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post subject: Miss8925's 9000 - Rodney
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:04 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
We've just returned home after a bit of a rubbish trip through London, with obligatory stopover in Ikea, but lots of smiles with our new 'sensible family car', affectionately named Rodney.

The other half's been looking for something to replace the Puma with as we are outgrowing it and it'll need a fair bit of money thrown at it to tidy up the usual Ford rust. She's flirted with the idea of most cars, but mainly povo spec to ST Focii and Mondeos, and 9-3s getting a good look in to. And then she came to the surprising conclusion that she wanted her own 9000. Suits me.

So with slim pickings, we looked at everything from a £250, 270k mile base spec CSE on ebay to...well...there really wasn't much around. And then she saw Aeroadster's Anni on here. I'm a little jealous, it's the full fat B234R Anni with a good choice of Abbott upgrades too, but we came to an agreement to split the cost so that she owns the car and I own the parts, so when my Platana Grey CSE is nearing completion I'll swap over the full Abbott 3" system and intercooler, with a few other nice bits Aeroadster threw in to the deal.

Ad pics

Obligatory 'picking up new car' facebook pic

And home in darkness

It's a really good solid car, with only a few tiny rust bubbles we'll need to get on top of before they expand.

First thing to do, probably next weekend, is a health check of the fluids and mechanical actions, make sure nothing is loose or worn. The interior will come out and the carpet will get a machine wash, and I'll temporarily replace the drivers seat with mine so I can investigate why this one isn't working. There are a few bits of trim and switchgear to replace and look at things like the boot light that isn't working. It seems to run cold so will get a new thermostat and I think the vacuum hose to the boost gauge has split so it'll get some new silicone.

Another drivers door came with it to replace a rusty bottom and an actuator or two needs replacing. The paint work is in good condition but aesthetically dull and milky, so I'll machine polish it with a medium cut compound and go up from there (of course it will have a full detail).

Once I'm 100% happy with it mechanically and finishing off the tidy up, I'll speak to Jules and get a spare ECU up to him for good measure.

Feels so good to be back in a 9000! :D :twisted:

Last edited by oli8925 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:21 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 1992 9000 cs carlsson turbo
Great car that glad it's sold I was super close to viewing it and if I did I would have bought it as I'm looking for a weekend weapon of sorts as said with the upgrades and spare wheels etc it was an excellent buy and a straight seller you could tell that a mile from the ad, yes it's basically at stage 3 spec id say with the mods with a remap that's why I was interested in it, does it go well
Keep the updates coming on here

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:20 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
Best of luck getting the Good Stuff the off wife after she gets used to driving her car in that spec.

[edited for spolling]

Last edited by DeeDub8 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:42 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
Nice & lucky bloke having a Missis who wants a 9k!!!!!

As soon as I mention the word SAAB she rolls her eyes :wall:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:52 pm 
Saab Nut

Yeah, lucky except I have to fix them constantly. 3 cars of her own and she doesn't do the slightest bit of maintenance.

Anyway, gave it a good initial clean in preparation for taking it to Santa Pod and it looks much better already. We'll go over it by hand with AG SRP which should do a good enough job short term before I get the opportunity with the DA polisher.

Gave under the bonnet a better nose before we left, and the rubber vacuum hose between dump valve and inlet had completely perished and snapped. Replaced it with some silicone I had left over and set off, properly boosts now but hits the cut at anything over 3/4 throttle. I'll get a decent length of silicone and plumb the boost gauge back in and see what's happening. Currently getting the tracking done as steering is slightly off then will pop back home to swap the DI pack over with my grey 9000 and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:42 pm 
Saab Nut

But the underside is really clean!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:17 pm 
Saab Nut

Not long arrived back from Santa Pod plus a visit to family in Huntingdon and then picking the daughter and dog up from family in Hertford. Other than the fuel cut, meaning various Audi's and Merc's got away with being :cen:, it performed pretty faultlessly and importantly we both feel we made the right decision in buying the car. The change in DI didn't help so I'm going to swap the APC for a known working one, and disconnect the battery to reset the ECU after checking it's the right one. A new length of silicone has been ordered too so I can connect everything up properly and have excess to stick my boost gauge on it to get accurate readings to set base boost.

We managed to quickly SRP the passenger side and rear of the car at the Pod, the rest was too hot in the unexpected sunshine. It's made a huge difference from anything more than a couple of feet away. Still needs a clay bar and machine polish to take out the billions of swirls but it's now shiny and black, rather than flat and various shades of dark bluey/black.

We were at a Mini show but unfortunately didn't camp next to one, so you'll have to make do with this reflection instead ;)

Difference between wing (SRP'd) and bonnet (untouched)

Difference in reflection between the untouched top half of the door and SRP'd bottom half

We have the new drivers door to polish up and replace, and will be on the look out for a new bonnet too as it's bubbling and splitting along most of the edges. The only part that seems to have been seriously bitten by rust is the lower lip around the boot for the seal, so that'll need to be repaired and I'll source a new seal (might have one but think I threw it away)

A few more interior niggles I need to sort but nothing that'll cause issues as I have most of the parts anyway.

Last edited by oli8925 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:20 am 
9000 Burble

Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
Fuel cut could be the actuator rod needing to be freed off and greased. That was the problem on mine. Worth a look.....

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:07 am 
Saab Nut

Thanks, will give it a go. I somehow had the forethought about 4 months ago to take today and tomorrow off, so plenty of tinkering time :D

On driving it home for the first time I thought it wasn't quite right but maybe the TD04 for was a bit more sluggish to pick up, trying to remember how my stage 1 LPT drove. Now it just catapults, just like I remember. Can't wait to fix the issue and get it out for a proper run.

I know I harp on but they are simply such amazing cars! As you say brooklands, "gotta love a 9k".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
Oooooh, competition! :) Same colour too.
Well done mate - looking forward to seeing it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:00 pm 
Saab Nut

Heh, I've already told Jen we need to lower it considerably but she says no :( Hopefully I'll be able to bring it down soon, although I'm still getting used to driving a car that doesn't do 50mpg again.

I bought myself a whiteboard to keep track of the jobs that need doing on our cars, unfortunately there isn't space for Rodney so I'm going to put one here so I can keep track of it. I managed to manually move the broken drivers seat and remove it from the car today, and took the chance to machine clean the carpets before putting my working drivers seat in. While there I noticed the front belts were twisted behind the trim, so it all came off and that was sorted too.

Had another nose under the bonnet, there's a fair few broken clips, bolts and mounts I'll replace, but nothing major, and the bolt for the clamp on the turbo had snapped with the clamp half hanging off which won't be doing it any favours. We disconnected the battery to reset the ECU, which according to the part number is definitely for a B234R. When I swap the APC over I'll give it a blast, but the actuator rod doesn't seem to want to move so it's probably that causing the issues as brooklands said.

Temporarily replace drivers seat with that from Grey 9000
    Untwist seat belts
    Replace cabin thermometer fan
    Replace TD04 clamp bolt
    Swap DI unit
    Swap APC valve
    Free up actuator rod
    Replace headlights
    Replace drivers side rear puddle light
    Recover parcel shelf with black carpet
    Replace AC control unit
    Replace badges
    Full service
    Clean Super Aeros
    Replace 4mm vacuum hose
    Reconnect drivers rear door locking pin
    Replace thermostat
    Clean high level brake light and check bulb holders
    AG SRP rest of car
    Replace drivers door + actuator
    Realign steering wheel
    Replace passenger fog light bulb
    Fit leather door cards
    Clay bar, machine polish & detail
    Bleed brakes and stop the squealing
    Lift passenger door on hinge
    Test drivers seat from Rodney - missing a bit of loom
    Fix interior and boot lights
    Replace bonnet
    Repair rust
    ?Respray front bumper
    Replace CD Player

I forgot to ask, is this what an Abbott brace should look like? The other side is just flat, this side looks like it's bent.

Last edited by oli8925 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:30 pm 
Saab Nut

So managed to get a fair bit done today. Made two really good headlights, one was from my Grey 9000 of the set I made a few years ago (the other reflector had completely yellowed in that time), and the other was thrown in with the car. Osram Nightbreakers for dipped and main. The previous lights were ridiculously bad, dangerously so. Driving through unlit country lanes to Santa Pod was scary. Decent headlights even make a difference to the look of the car in daylight, nice bright silver headlights on show. Disconnected the headlamp washer motors and blocked off the washers as they're a waste of time and just scratch the lens. Also notice the addition of the tubro badged grill, adds at least 10bhp.

However a little more rust was discovered, in the corners of the slam panel behind the indicators, and the headlight retaining brackets. In fact the drivers side had completely rotted through and came off with the headlight. I'll have to make a piece up to weld in, but to keep it at bay I wire brushed the rusty areas and gave them a good dose of Kurust followed by Hammerite (it's the only black paint I have at the moment).

And it's no longer hitting fuel cut, I'm guessing it was the change in APC that sorted it more than anything, but it now feels too sluggish again. Need the silicone hose to arrive so I can get a boost gauge on it, but it feels like it may only be running at base boost. What should I be looking at if this is the case?

Last edited by oli8925 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:20 pm 
UKS Addict

Take the 'W' hose off and (carefully) go for a blat. It should boost very quickly and hit fuel cut. This will rule out any hardware issues barring a stuck wastegate. You can then diagnose further.
Check the one way valve on the rocker breather is still one way as these go and all the vaccum lines. Also the brass spigot that goes into the bottom of the throttle body that the ICV is connected to but do the W hose test first to see if there are any leaks anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm 
UKS Addict

oli8925 wrote:
I forgot to ask, is this what an Abbott brace should look like? The other side is just flat, this side looks like it's bent.

I think mine is flat on both sides - seem to remember there being a gap where the turret curves down but I'll check tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 97 9k
My abbot brace doesn't sit quite flush either I think

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:33 pm 
Saab Nut

Ta for the advice, will try to be back early tomorrow to have a play with it and check all the above.

Odd one about the brace. Can't imagine it would naturally twist enough to do it, and my other brace is flat but then it's an unbranded one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:04 pm 
Saab Nut

Took the W hose off and it's boosting and hitting fuel cut for fun. Put it back on and it seemed to be boosting a little better than before, but I only went for a short drive so difficult to tell. No leaks from anywhere else. The T7 APC with plugs has arrived from Si so I'll make an adapter loom for it and get the spare ECU up to Jules.

Not much work today as I need to make progress with my driveway (think the neighbours are getting very :cen: off) but will hopefully get it serviced tomorrow and do a few other bits that have arrived in the post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:12 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 CONVERT 1.8t
Excuse my ignorance.... but what is the SRP you used to improve the wing paint? (I know I'm going to feel daft here)

.... Oh! Super Resin Polish? Duh! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:20 pm 
Saab Nut

Yep Super Resin Polish and then followed up with Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection (EGP).

Risked drowning today to redo all the 4mm vac hose in silicone. Results, dash gauge works and from a little drive out base boost seems to be a bit low at a touch over 0.4bar, so may adjust it half a turn. Although was difficult to get a decent run as there was so much traffic around.

It seems to peak at 1bar and fairly quickly drop back to 0.8bar and hold, would have thought it would only drop to 0.9 so not sure f that's something I should investigate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:54 pm 
Saab Nut

Gave Rodney a service today, with all but the fuel filter changed as I ran out of time. Old plugs the BCPR8's and came out a bit whiter than I'd have liked, so I'll keep an eye on the new plugs that went in, which are BCPR7ES-11. Results are a smoother engine with much better pick up, in fact it's now sooo good it's hitting fuel cut again :roll: took it for a little blast, didn't have the proper gauge plumbed in but in 3rd with foot down it spikes just beyond the red on the dash and cuts. If you back off a bit to avoid the cut it seems to hold steadily in the middle of the red. In 4th it doesn't spike quite as much, and goes all the way to the end of the red before settling down in the middle again. Before today it was holding on the orange/red divide.

I'm not sure whether to try another T5 valve and look for the issue if it's still there, or wait for the ECU to come back from Jules and be more confident in the T7 valve working properly and go from there.

It's also running really cold so I need to sort the thermostat out at the next opportunity.

On the subject of the T7 valve, I get really OCD about chopping in to the wiring loom, so decided to make an adapter. I chopped up an old faulty T5 valve to get to the plug section, cleaned it out and de-soldered the wires on to the pins. I then made a back piece to cover the inside of the connector, slipped the T7 loom wires through it and soldered the the two wires on to (hopefully) the correct pins. Pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Also repaired the drivers rear door pin and bought some nasty stuff to clean up the super aeros that came with it

Last edited by oli8925 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.