UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
Another little update. The driver's seat side-piece has been hanging for a few months now and I've finally got round to sorting it. This is what I'd been driving round with:

Imagex5 by James Vey, on Flickr

Picked up a replacement from Malcolm Miles quite a a few weeks back. Here is the part number if anyone is interested. Note that the part number changes if you don't have memory switches, or if you have manual controls, LHS/RHS and of course colour:

Imagex2 by James Vey, on Flickr

I reckon the broken one lasted around 6 - 7 months, so eager not to be in the same boat in another 6 - 7 months, I looked at how the old one failed. Basically any load that is put downwards on the plastic side piece causes this plastic locator to break:

Imagex6 by James Vey, on Flickr

I decided to strengthen the new piece before fitting it, using Araldite.

Before:

Imagex3 by James Vey, on Flickr

After:

Imagex4 by James Vey, on Flickr

During fitting I realised that I'd actually put enough Araldite on that it was interfering with the steel structure of the seat. If I'd had a file to hand I would have taken a small amount of the metal off (2 or 3 mm would have been sufficient), but I didn't so had to use wire cutters to remove some of the Araldite. It is quite possible that the finished article is no stronger than the original one, but I feel like I'd made an attempt to improve it, so am happy.

Imagex7 by James Vey, on Flickr

And the finished article:

Imagex8 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:06 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Vector TiD
Great thread, admire you 'can do' attitude towards keeping the car running and looking as you want it...

Same car as me with some similar problems. Not had mine long and although it seemed a genuine car on the surface, it's got a few niggly issues that annoy me but I take heart from reading this (and a few other threads online) that getting my hands dirty doesn't mean I'm going to ruin the car and make it undrivable. You never know, I might even start a thread myself... :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:53 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
Us diesel 9-5 owners need to keep the positive vibes going!
Good to see the continued eye for detail on yours James, keep up the good work.
What’s next on the radar?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:46 am 
UKSaabs Trader

specialman wrote:
Great thread, admire you 'can do' attitude towards keeping the car running and looking as you want it...

Same car as me with some similar problems. Not had mine long and although it seemed a genuine car on the surface, it's got a few niggly issues that annoy me but I take heart from reading this (and a few other threads online) that getting my hands dirty doesn't mean I'm going to ruin the car and make it undrivable. You never know, I might even start a thread myself... :D

Thank you, I let Malcolm Miles in Leicester do the dirty stuff and I just do the little "tinkering" bits that I wouldn't want to pay someone else to do. Where are you based? I shall keep an eye out for your project thread.

wynne71 wrote:
Us diesel 9-5 owners need to keep the positive vibes going!
Good to see the continued eye for detail on yours James, keep up the good work.
What’s next on the radar?

Thanks Matt. Devil is in the detail, as they say. Next job really should be to do something about the nearside rear wheel arch rust. Also the gearbox is sometimes difficult to engage 3rd and/or a bit crunchy (mostly when shifting up) and is worse when cold. Going into neutral for a second does help, but I've got a the spare gearbox in the shed so not too bothered. Hopefully I'll need a new clutch before I need a new gearbox, that way I'll then kill two birds with one stone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:53 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Vector TiD
JamesVey wrote:
Thank you, I let Malcolm Miles in Leicester do the dirty stuff and I just do the little "tinkering" bits that I wouldn't want to pay someone else to do. Where are you based? I shall keep an eye out for your project thread.

Based in Rugby so MM is local... I actually remember a friend who had a 2.2 TiD raving about them, said they were brilliant for service. I've used Ashby Garage in Ashby Parva recently and likewise, they know Saabs. I'm no grease monkey either so it suits me to leave an expert to do jobs theatre beyond my simple skills..

I've just set up a thread in projects but the admin authorisation (and maximum image limit) means I'm a bit behind in the process of updating to where I am now with the car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:05 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Have been tinkering on the barge a bit more, so though a little update was in order.

After talking to UKS member specialman about him trying to fix his own indicator stalk and then UKS member AeroStu pointing out that there should be some tabs on the stalk base, I thought I should probably check what was happening with mine. I must admit I was spurred on by knowing I had a good spare:

ImageJames11 by James Vey, on Flickr

Note the two tabs which have broken off on the old stalk - a common thing it would seem. Also, if you're thinking of fixing a broken stalk, note that the stalks are different from '06 onwards - the later ones have less of a kink on them:

ImageJames12 by James Vey, on Flickr

I took the opportunity to replace my steering wheel cowl as I'd damaged the old one trying to put larger and longer screws in to stop the floppy talk when I first got the car. Old bottom, new top.

ImageJames14 by James Vey, on Flickr

I'd noticed recently that there was something weird going on with the window strips on the driver's side - looked like bubbling with some rust underneath?!

ImageJames1 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageJames2 by James Vey, on Flickr

Armed with a decent spare, I removed it to see what was going on:

Upon removal:

ImageJames3 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageJames4 by James Vey, on Flickr

I have not idea why there are rusty fragments in there - note that the good replacement doens't have a hole in it at all:

ImageJames7 by James Vey, on Flickr

Cleaned up with a bit of T-Cut:

ImageJames5 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageJames6 by James Vey, on Flickr

Seeing as the sun was smiling, I decided that I would remove the front one too to give it a bit of a cleanup. In order to refit the front strip, I realised it was much easier to remove the wing mirror. If you have ever removed a 9-5 wing mirror, you will know how it's quite a gunk trap. No photo showing how bad it was under the wing mirror (smelt like wet dog!) but I gave it a good clean:

ImageJames8 by James Vey, on Flickr

And all back together, will do the left hand side soon I think:

ImageJames9 by James Vey, on Flickr

Armed with the T-Cut and with the sun still shining, I decided to rid the car of the tired 9-5 and TiD badges at the back - I think it looks better without.

ImageJames10 by James Vey, on Flickr

I must get an oil and filter change done soon as I think the car has done around 10k since the last one - a bit more than I would like seeing as a change is relatively inexpensive.

Also, will be time to fit the winter wheels and tyres soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:19 am 
Saab Nut

Great job on the update. Mine has exactly the same bubbling going on in the door trim. Always wondered what it was.
Yours will be a new 9-5 by the time you’ve done with it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
As does mine. I've thought many times about buying new trim but in daily use the car seems to be ageing quicker than I can fix these little things.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:54 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2006 9-5 2.3t Vector Sport
Hi James,

Exactly the same thing has happened to the door tops on mine. When you do the left hand side would you be able to make a note of the part numbers as I'd like to get some new one ordered, if I can find them anywhere.

Loving the project.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: ...
RockingVector wrote:
Hi James,

Exactly the same thing has happened to the door tops on mine. When you do the left hand side would you be able to make a note of the part numbers as I'd like to get some new one ordered, if I can find them anywhere.

Loving the project.

Cheers

Here you go.

N/s/f 5364427

N/s/r 5364443

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:49 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2006 9-5 2.3t Vector Sport
Beauty, nice one paulaero.

Thanks for that.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Thanks paulaero for giving those part numbers. I have got the replacement LHS trims ready to go on, just need a sunny Saturday.

Car had just ticked past 164k miles on Friday when I got to Malcolm Miles for some TLC:

-oil and filter change (with some sort of flush, don't ask me what)
-fuel filter change (no idea how long the old one had been on there - certainly hadn't been changed in the 40k that I've had the car)
-adjusted the gear linkage so now selection of 3rd and 4th gears is much easier.

I also took the opportunity to have a nosey around the underside of the car - good news, nothing exciting to report!

No pics of the above I'm afraid!

My next job is to replace my lovely Hirsch 18" wheels with a boring winter wheel / tyre combo I bought back in the summer. Not wishing to add a post without a pic or two, here's a couple of them:

Imagewheels1 by James Vey, on Flickr

Imagewheels2 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:55 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Okay, the time has come for the not so pretty winter wheels! Car mileage at time of change 164400.

I picked up this wheel/tyre combo in the summer for £200. Wheels looked great in the Gumtree ad photos but when I got there to collect them I saw the paint job wasn't great. There's "orange peel" as well as some of the paint flaking in places. It also looks like someone has tried to do some sort of black "overspray-effect" on the wheels. I'm not too worried about all of the above this though - the important thing is the nearly-new Continental winter tyres they're wearing.

ImageJames1 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageJames2 by James Vey, on Flickr

Here you can see the good and the bad. Good is how new the tyres are, still got the "bobbles" on them. Bad is the black flecks of paint:

ImageJames3 by James Vey, on Flickr

Comparing old and new:

ImageJames4 by James Vey, on Flickr

Winter on the left, summer on the right:

ImageJames5 by James Vey, on Flickr

It was only when I got to fitting the fourth wheel that I realised that the seller had hustled me a little bit. All the tyres were empty when I collected them, and he gave me some BS about him thinking it was better for the tyres to be stored empty. At the time I just thought "that's BS" and carried on. Now that I'd got to the fourth wheel I realised I could hear air escaping from the valve area. Ahh bummer....

Quick dash to my local friendly tyre place and we dunked all four wheels to see what was leaking where. Three out of four of the valves were leaking. Only cost me £5 per wheel for a replacement valve, so I wasn't too annoyed.

Halfway through the job:

ImageJames7 by James Vey, on Flickr

And job done:

ImageJames6 by James Vey, on Flickr

So, time to get the Hirsch wheels cleaned up and put away for the winter. They'd only been on the car for 3600 miles. During the time they were on the car I'd been giving the faces of the wheels a clean every 1 - 2 weeks, but was quite surprised at how dirty the inner rims had got:

ImageJames8 by James Vey, on Flickr

And after a good clean:

ImageJames9 by James Vey, on Flickr

Actually made by BBS, who knew?!

ImageJames10 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageJames11 by James Vey, on Flickr

All cleaned up, labelled (so I knew which corner they each came from) and now safely indoors in the spare room:

ImageJames12 by James Vey, on Flickr

Finally, I noticed that the driver door seal had worn through. I know this is a common thing on 9-5 and a new seal from PFS is well over £100 (I know, madness!) - I found a much better seal on one of my breakers. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but a lot better.

Before:

ImageJames13 by James Vey, on Flickr

After:

ImageJames14 by James Vey, on Flickr

That's all for now!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
The Hirsch wheels look very nice all cleaned up. (I must resist 18" wheels, I must...)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:34 pm 
Saab Nut

Love those Hirsch wheels....will wait until you buy an Aston and put a cheeky offer in for them....!
Interesting wheels with the winter tyres, I have a vague memory of seeing those on Saab’s before, but very rarely. Look good, certainly from the photos.

What symptoms where you getting from the failed seal? Did you have water getting in?

Hope mines still up to it at the same mileage, only at 101K on mine. Much less driving recently, trains and hire cars (I have a Kia Optima estate on the drive for tomorrow.....). Probably time to think about a petrol again, not doing the miles to warrant a diesel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

wynne71 wrote:

What symptoms where you getting from the failed seal? Did you have water getting in?

Certainly no water ingress and no extra noise (that I could notice) - I just saw it was worn and as I had a replacement handy, so decided to sort it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:12 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Not really given the car any attention over the last month due to the weather and either being busy at work or away on holiday. As well as being completely reliable, it has also ferried me to and from work in some pretty horrendous conditions.

I spent 8 days in Spain at the beginning of the month (should have been 7 but holiday got extended due to East Midlands Airport being closed, shame). Got back to the UK and it was -4°C - ran to the car from the terminal and wondered whether it would start or not. I'd even put a spare battery in the boot just in case which turned out to be unnecessary. No problemo whatsoever, it fired up as if it'd been standing for a day.

ImageEMA by James Vey, on Flickr

My only issues with the car at the minute are:
-sometimes takes a few goes to get into third gear, only really when changing up and only really when cold
-conscious that the rust on the rear left wheel-arch isn't going to go away!

My next plans for the car are to replace the weather strips on the left hand doors (same as I did on the right hand doors) and possibly get the lads at Malcolm Miles to replace the gear linkage with a nearly new one I retrieved off a breaker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Bit of an update...

When I collected the car from the airport I thought the brakes sounded a bit grindy, in particular front right, but attributed that to the fact that they'd been sitting for 8 days and just needed to be used.

Yesterday it dawned on me that the noise hadn't really gone away, and on closer inspection I could see that it looked like the front right disc was getting scored. Time for a partial-dismantle of the front right corner to see what was what!

First look with the wheel off - the disc looked obviously scored:

ImageBrakes1 by James Vey, on Flickr

Inside looked okay:

ImageBrakes2 by James Vey, on Flickr

I gave both pads and both faces of the disc a clean with brake cleaner and also gave the calliper and carrier a decent brush:

ImageBrakes4 by James Vey, on Flickr

This is how it looked just before I put it all back together:

ImageBrakes5 by James Vey, on Flickr

This was the end result, looks pretty much the same as the first look, but I will keep an eye on how the outside of the disc wears. The noise is currently either the same or ever so slightly less:

ImageBrakes6 by James Vey, on Flickr

Last edited by JamesVey on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 pm 
Saab Nut

Possible grit or other contaminants got between the pad and disc I’d guess. Might wear off as the slight grove wears with the rest of the disc. As long as it stops properly...

Mines not liked being laid up for a few weeks, only done short journeys and the battery was struggling to start it. A run to Malvern and back yesterday hopefully put some spark back in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:51 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia A-M

Car Model: 2007 9-3 1.9TiD Sport Wagon
Might be nothing, but the bottom carrier bolt in the 'Brakes2' picture looks to be very untouched, but the upper carrier bolt looks to have been 'disturbed', have you checked it's tightness?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next