UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
Realised yesterday that I hadn't cleaned the 4 springs up, so have given them a quick rub down and used the same silver paint I used on the hubs:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Brakes are now on the car. For my own record, it was 28/04/17 and mileage was 152850.

It is really obvious how much more effective these are than the setup I had before. I hope to never have to use them in anger but it's good to know the extra stopping-power in there just in case.
I'm really pleased with them.

When I picked the car up:

And after a quick wheel wash:

Oil and filter change done at the same time.

I mentioned that I had what I thought was a noisy wheel bearing (front left). Rather than asking them to supply and fit a brand new bearing, I took a chance and supplied a complete used hub off a breaker of mine. Turns out this is actually a bad choice as this is a bit noisier than what came off. Will get that sorted this week - they will supply and fit a brand new bearing to the hub that came off so that it's (hopefully) a nice quick hub-swap when I do get back over to Leicester.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:57 am 
UKSaabs Trader

The annoying rumble has now been diagnosed as something wrong with the gearbox, most likely diff bearings. I still have the replacement gearbox I bought last year (minus 5th gear), so the plan is to rebuild that with the 5th gear that is currently in use in my car and then swap the boxes. If I'd known, I would have done a straight-up gearbox swap rather than swapping out 5th, but it was the cheaper and quicker option at the time. Nevermind...

In other news, I got bored of looking at the perished shark-fin aerial, and managed to rescue one off a breaker.

My aerial before:

It's a bit awkward to remove the aerial on a saloon 9-5, whereas on an estate, you can get easy access whilst standing at the back of the car. Anyway, I've had enough practice over the years so there was no excuse. This is what I was presented with when I removed the aerial:

After a cleanup:

Comparison of old vs new. I was tempted to paint the new one silver but in the end I just couldn't be bothered. I didn't want to paint it and then it to look rubbish after 6 months, so simply left it black:

And the finished job, much better:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
Nice tidy up on the aerial.
How long did the job take? Mines in pretty much the same condition as your original one, looks a mess.

9-5 DE Vector Sport Derv-o-rattle

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

[quote="wynne71"]Nice tidy up on the aerial.
How long did the job take? Mines in pretty much the same condition as your original one, looks a mess.

Thanks. Didn't take long, perhaps 20 mins or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:56 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Mentioned a while back that there was an annoying noise that sounded like a worn wheel bearing but was in fact coming from the gearbox (suspected diff bearings).

Well, the gearbox that I bought (and robbed 5th gear from) back in September was now needed again. Time for it to stop being a garden ornament and be put to good use! Took the car to Malcolm Miles and they got Gaz to rob 5th gear back from the fitted gearbox and put it back in this replacement one (effectively making this gearbox how I'd originally bought it).

This gearbox was then fitted, along with a new slave cylinder and of course nice fresh gearbox oil and at last, I have a quiet car again (apart from the tractor engine up front!). I'd forgotten just how quiet and comfortable this car is when cruising at say 60 or 70mph. Happy days :)

For my own reference, mileage at time of fitting was 155850. From memory, donor gearbox was on <120k. Unfortunately I've not got any "oily pics" - all I have is the one of the gearbox in the boot prior to fitting. As you can see, it'd been standing a while!

Next job on the list will be to sort out the rear numberplate which I have now noticed is on the wonk. I perhaps should also do something about the rust on the rear left arch, even if just slowing it down rather than making it look pretty.

As an update on a couple of other things, I'm really liking the 308/300 brake setup and think it was well worth doing. I'm also glad that I took the time to paint the centres of the discs before fitting. I've since swapped the front and rear wheels round as of course the fronts wear quicker.

That's all for now!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:25 pm 

Car Model: 9-5 Vector Sport Anni 1.9 Tid
Just read the thread from start to finish! I have the same but in an estate. Great thread. Please keep posting, I'll be following from now! Great work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:09 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Vector Sport - 2006
Truly an inspirational thread. keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:27 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Time for a few little updates. I've been doing a fair bit of mileage since starting my new job. Just ticked over 159k this morning. Car has been great - a few little niggles as you'd expect but it's sorting those sort of things that I find rewarding.

About a month ago I got the key-fob battery low warning. Batteries are only a few quid but I'd found a brand new one in the history file of one of my breakers, so replaced that soon after seeing the message. I do love a free fix!

ImageIMG_0109 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0113 by James Vey, on Flickr

The number-plates were looking tired so I bought a couple of new ones. Took a bit of time to make sure they weren't on the wonk! I was annoyed to find that Halfords didn't sell any black fixing screws - I will replace the right hand one when I can!

ImageIMG_0116 by James Vey, on Flickr

Treated the car to £6 worth of attention from the Poles up the road, and they did a good job. Thought it was worth a photo as often I'm just putting photos up of problems and fixes. I think the car still looks reasonably fresh despite the age of the design. This is the best angle for the car I think - you can't see the rust on the rear left wheel arch and you can't see the rubbish bonnet / bumper alignment!

ImageIMG_0475 by James Vey, on Flickr

Last week I was driving down the M1 when I got lots of warning lights come on. Having heard various other SAAB people talking about a similar problem on their 9-5s, I was confident it would be one of the reluctor rings on the drive-shafts. The lights have come and gone a few times over the last week, but saying that, they've been off for most of the time.

ImageIMG_0448 by James Vey, on Flickr

I gave the lads at Malcolm Miles a call to talk about easiest way of sorting and it was music to my ears when Jason told me an Aero drive-shaft from one of my breakers would fit. Anyway, could have sworn the hub nut was 32mm, which was the biggest socket I had in my tool kit. No problem, I would be able to borrow one from a technician at work, but first had to check what size it was. Didn't have my callipers at home so did the next best thing. The answer is 36mm.

ImageIMG_0496 by James Vey, on Flickr

As a result, I'm taking two drive-shafts with me to Malcolm Miles later:

ImageFullSizeRender by James Vey, on Flickr

Rings are far from brand new but they look reasonable enough:

ImageIMG_0512 by James Vey, on Flickr

Update to follow!

Last edited by JamesVey on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am 
Saab Nut

Great update.
I've got the same car, same age but in manual guise, just turned 98K, so seeing yours clock up some decent mileage gives me confidence.
Planning on keeping mine until Jan 2019, as long as it stays economically viable.....

Like those wheels on the DE. Once my tyres have worn down I will be looking for a set of those with decent tyres.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:20 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

wynne71 wrote:
Great update.
I've got the same car, same age but in manual guise, just turned 98K, so seeing yours clock up some decent mileage gives me confidence.
Planning on keeping mine until Jan 2019, as long as it stays economically viable.....

Like those wheels on the DE. Once my tyres have worn down I will be looking for a set of those with decent tyres.

Mine is manual too! Do wish sometimes I'd bought an auto though, the gearbox is for sure one of the weak points on these cars.

With regards to the wheels, I've got another wheel swap in mind, so these ones will probably be for sale quite soon. Will PM you.

Update on the ABS light issue - just as thought, it was a cracked reluctor ring. The guys at Malcolm Miles did a nice quick job of swapping the drive-shaft over for me, with minimum fuss but maximum banter, just the way I like it!

ImageIMG_0517 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:55 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Few little updates. I found a guy breaking a 9-5 Dame diesel, so took a trip over to Telford and bought a spare good gearbox with 118k on it and a spare turbo. I'm conscious that the gearbox on these (manual) diesel dames are a weak point, so thought it a shrewd move to have a spare in the shed. Don't ever want to be in the position where I have to panic-buy one. Also picked up a spare turbo from the same guy. Got these both at what I consider a okay price (£100 each) and when I asked for other spares from the same car, he let me have them for free, so having about £50 of free stuff sweetened the deal for me. Not the best pic but here you go:

Imagea by James Vey, on Flickr

I'd noticed quite a while ago that the passenger front seat-belt had a bit of a mark on it - not a cut as such but for sure it's been near something sharp. Never been picked up on at an MoT but I decided to change it seeing as I had a spare from a breaker of mine.

Image1 by James Vey, on Flickr

Nice and easy to get the side piece off. The black cable is from my dash-cam which is routed down this B-pillar to the rear cigarette lighter.

Image5 by James Vey, on Flickr

For those that don't know, it isn't necessary to unbolt the front seat to release the seat-belt. There is a spring-loaded clip which you can get to with a screwdriver. I learnt this from UKS member Pug.

Image2 by James Vey, on Flickr

This is what comes out:

Image3 by James Vey, on Flickr

There's no point me adding a "finished" photo - it's the same as the original one but without the damage on the belt! Here's the old and new (to me) belts:

Image4 by James Vey, on Flickr

And in other news, added a parking ticket holder to the left A-pillar simply because I have quite a few spares of these:

Image6 by James Vey, on Flickr

A SAAB friend of mine picked up some cheap 18" Hirsch wheels and offered them to me (with a refurb from him) at a price I couldn't refuse. I knew the refurb was going to be a DIY jobbie in his back room but felt happy with this as I've seen his work before and was impressed considering the lack of a professional paint booth.

This is a photo he sent me whilst they were in primer:

Imagec by James Vey, on Flickr

I went and collected them and was really rather pleased. "Trial" fit - note that he's kindly covering the ever-growing rust patch on the arch with his hand:

Imageb by James Vey, on Flickr

Got them home and they sat for a couple of days. I spent quite a bit of time thinking about tyres. I'm currently running 235/45/17 and thought I'd go for 235/45/18 on these, however after some discussion Pug and Matte I decided I'll go for 235/40/18, partly to keep the overall circumference the same but also because I think they'll look better on these. I'm a little worried that the ride will be noticeably worse but we shall see.

As they're used wheels, I carefully inspected them before committing to spending best part of £400 on tyres, and I noticed that the paint was already bubbling on the rear of nearly every spoke. Obviously this will only get worse so I decided to put my hand in my pocket and pay to get them stripped and powder-coated professionally. It's a good time to do it as I've got a buyer for my existing wheels but he isn't collecting until the end of the month.

So, currently wheels are with the powder-coaters and I haven't ordered tyres. I've asked them to match the colour as well as they can but to be honest I'm not too fussed.

This is an example of the bubbling and also the wheels when I dropped them off:

Imaged by James Vey, on Flickr

Imagee by James Vey, on Flickr

That's all for now folks! Hopefully the next update will be with me over the moon having collected the wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:39 pm 
Saab Nut

Great update. Always busy on the old DE it seems.
Shame about the bubbling, but seems the right thing to do to get them professionally sorted prior to tyres. Are you going for the same colour?
The new buyer is looking forward to seeing the Hirsh alloys on yours..... ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:36 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

wynne71 wrote:
Great update. Always busy on the old DE it seems.
Shame about the bubbling, but seems the right thing to do to get them professionally sorted prior to tyres. Are you going for the same colour?
The new buyer is looking forward to seeing the Hirsh alloys on yours..... ;-)

Thanks. I think it's worth being proactive and on top of maintenance, especially as I do quite a lot of miles so need reliability and want comfort.

Colour-wise, not exactly sure how they'll turn out but I've been told they'll be pretty close. I'll probably like whatever I see, not that I'll have a choice by that point!

Glad my current wheels will be going to good use!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:55 pm 
Saab Nut

You've given me the incentive to replace the shark fin, re-align the rear number and change my wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:33 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
Yeah I need to replace my shark fin soon. It's falling apart.

Nice wheels, should make a nice difference to the look.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:57 am 
UKSaabs Trader

So, wheel swap is finally done. I wanted to wait until I got them back from being re-furbed so that I could give them a proper inspection prior to ordering tyres.

Ended up going for Avons. I've had a good experience with Avons before so it seemed a logical choice. In the end I just couldn't bring myself to go for something more expensive like Eagle F1s, which would have been £30 a corner more, especially as whatever tyres I went for, they'd only last around a year anyway. This is what I went for:

ImageCapture by James Vey, on Flickr

£320 delivered (to Malcolm Miles) a couple of days ahead of scheduled tyre fitting - perfect!

The wheels came back slightly darker than I had hoped for, but it sort of matches the dash inlay and door inserts. I'm certainly not complaining. I think the colour goes well with the silver body.

ImageWheel2 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageWheel1 by James Vey, on Flickr

So, before and after pics:

ImageWheel3 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageWheel4 by James Vey, on Flickr

For my own record, mileage at time of fitting was 160800.

Old wheels waiting are waiting to be re-homed by their new owner.

In other news, some of you may know that I work for Aston Martin - mostly doing crash testing but also other less spectacular tests too. Now that I've done the necessary driving tests / training with AML I am now in the fortunate position where I can bring cars home / have them for the weekend from time to time. They will tend to be engineering vehicles, so not necessarily the finished article. Brought my first one home last week - first of many I hope!

Imageaston by James Vey, on Flickr

Last edited by JamesVey on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:23 pm 
Saab Nut

I can't see the Aston pic....?!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:24 pm 
Saab Nut

And there certainly wasn't one there this afternoon...
New wheels look great on the silver car. I'm looking forward to seeing the silver wheels on my blue car. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:47 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: '00 9-3 Vert 2.0 SE Noobed
Bit of an upgrade :)

And the DB11 isn't too bad either :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next