UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.
(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 pm 
Saab Nut

Hello mate - sorry to be a pain but do you have a link at all for the D1S and LED side light bulbs :)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
John_D wrote:
JamesVey wrote:
I should have updated this a while back - during October the clutch had started to slip during certain "spirited driving" moments. Wasn't too bad and didn't do it all the time but I knew it wasn't going to get any better, so the lads at Malcolm Miles replaced that (and the slave cylinder) using OE parts (in November).

Top job as always - 100% recommended.

Got to ask, why wasn't this done when the DMF was replaced at point of sale? Seems to me that for a bit over £100 worth of parts (at trade price) you have been saddled with a very large bill within your first year of ownership............. :corn:

The clutch was inspected at time of sale and didn't look very old, and I was trying to keep costs down considering I originally only wanted to spend £1,000 on a car and was now spending significantly more. If I'd known I was going to be going down the remap route later on, I would have found the clutch money and got it done there any then. The angel remap is allegedly around 30% more torque, so it hasn't come as a total surprise. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, as they say!

Ant9-5Aero wrote:
Hello mate - sorry to be a pain but do you have a link at all for the D1S and LED side light bulbs ?

Yes, no problem:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... ge_o00_s00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290617035424? ... EBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:11 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Small update - changed the pollen / cabin filter. Up until now I've always thought of the cabin filter as something which wasn't that important and could just be left. Found myself doing a bit of reading about the benefits of changing them and decided to just do it. £17 for Euro Car Parts. Had to remove the glove-box to gain access to it - total job took around 20 minutes.

Glad I changed it - the old one was mouldy. Quite possibly been in there for 9 years and 133k miles!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:47 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
Tha pollen filter is truly minging!!!

Made me paranoid about mine now.....

Anymore updates on this old Dame...!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:16 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Not really a lot to say about the car - seems like now that I have sorted the DPF / EGR / swirl flaps everything is going just great.

Had the MoT done a month ago and it passed without any advisories. MoT tested did however point out a slight gearbox fluid weep and engine oil weep (I knew about the oil leak after I'd parked on my parents' brand new driveway....)

Since then (at 133,300 miles) the lads at Malcolm Miles have done an oil flush and change for me, sorting the leak at the same time which was turned out to be coming from the oil filter housing. They also traced and sorted the gearbox fluid leak which (IIRC) was the seal on the side of the gearbox. They also changed the floppy gear linkage to one from an older 9-5 (supplied from one of my breakers. The older ones are less sloppy, I assume because of the penny-pinching by GM on the later models.

Once again, great work, thank you guys.

On a side note, the SID is telling me I'm getting high 40s mpg around town and mid-high 50s on longer runs. I did a late night drive back from Northampton to Hinckley a month ago, sticking to the M1 50mph road work speed limit and then driving very sedately for the rest of it - SID told me 69.9mpg :)

Happy days :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:42 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Thought it was about time that I updated things with the car.

Back in June I got a warning light on the dash:

My initial thought was that it was one of the xenon gravity sensors, maybe an arm had broken off or something similar to that. I happened to have a spare of each on the shelf at the time, so I wasn't too bothered. Upon inspection, both sensors looked okay and intact. I then realised that one of the headlight xenon bulbs wasn't actually working. Again, I had some spares of these on the shelf, so I dropped the bumper and removed the offending headlight (takes all of 15 minutes). Was all ready to remove the bulb when I realised that the connector to the bulb had come off. Reattached it and happy days once again :) Love a quick (and free) fix!

I have been known to go over to Cannock Chase on the push bike, and had recently managed to fit two bikes in pieces (apart from one wheel) in the boot with the seats still up. Decided that I wanted a roof rack and cycle carrier. Managed to source the roof bars and 3 cycle carriers (all genuine SAAB bits). Have used them once. Maybe it was a waste of money?! Pic here of one of the cycle carriers when I trial-fitted it.

Only other update is that the car is now jumping out of 5th gear. It is fine when driving at a constant speed or very light acceleration in 5th, but if you try and accelerate too much it jumps. Jason at Malcolm Miles has checked the linkage setup and that looks okay, so the next move is for them to take the end cap off the gearbox and if whatever is wrong can't be rectified in situ, then remove the gearbox and replace with a used one, which I will source myself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:36 am 
UKSaabs Trader

I mentioned previously that the car was jumping out of 5th gear when under load. Annoying to say the least, and although I could have lived with it for a while longer I was keen to get it sorted. The car returns great MPG when cruising along in 5th so it was a shame not to be able to use it properly.

Sourced a used gearbox from Mick at Fellside Autos for £200. I can fully recommend him and shall no doubt be using him again when I need parts that can't be scavenged from any of my Aero breakers. Interestingly 2Stroke2Turbo wanted £750 + VAT for a gearbox (albeit with a 12 month warranty). £900?! No chance. I could pick up two breakers for that.

Here's the 'box as collected:

Took it along to Malcolm Miles on Saturday. Jason had enlisted the help of his mate Gaz. Gaz took the end cap off the gearbox and had a good look. He showed me the selector fork and 5th gear which were both worn. Rather than replacing the whole 'box, he was able to take parts off the replacement 'box and make mine good again. Luckily those parts on the donor 'box looked a lot less worn. I'll be keeping hold of the spare 'box just in case!

Couple of obligatory pics:

I also asked Gaz to swap the reverse switch over. My original one was sometimes not registering that I was in reverse, which a) stopped the reverse light from coming on and b) meant that the parking sensors didn't activate when I was reversing.

Whilst the car was up on the ramp I had a look to see how the rest of the car was looking. I noticed that the inners of the rear tyres looked like they were wearing faster than the rest. Thinking I'll leave it for now as it doesn't look too bad, but then when I renew the rear tyres I'll get Jason to see if any of the bushes are worn (and replace accordingly). Also noticed that the (previously swapped) rear left damper has a light bit of misting on it. again, happy to leave it for the time being but I am aware of it.

Big thank you to Jason and Gaz.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:58 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Wagon
JamesVey wrote:
They also changed the floppy gear linkage to one from an older 9-5 (supplied from one of my breakers. The older ones are less sloppy, I assume because of the penny-pinching by GM on the later models.

Do you know if this was a straight swap? I've read conflicting answers to that! The new one has lots of metal bits replaced by plastic - I'm loathe to spend £90 on a new one for my car just to replace the bits that shouldn't have worn out anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
Interesting read
Just bought a DE 1.9 tid myself

Wasn't happy with the running and have done:
-New air filter ( and intake pipe)
-MAP sensor
-New EGR
-Insitu clean of throttle body

Runs lovely now. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:00 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Thought it was about time I updated this thread. I am starting a new job on Monday and my commute will be rising from 4 to 30 miles each way. I now have a few days off between jobs and thought it would be a good opportunity to give the car some TLC.

Rang the lads at Malcolm Miles in Leicester a couple of weeks back and asked if I could bring the car down to get it up on the ramp to see what needed doing. I prefer to do it this way because it gives me a chance to see what's what as well as discussing different options. Way better than dropping a car off somewhere and wondering all day what they'll find and subsequently charge! Also gives me the chance to source parts in the meantime.

Car is booked in for tomorrow.

So, the list is:

-oil and filter change

-4 new tyres (gone for the Avon ZV7s in the correct 235 width for the 7.5" wheel). Heard good things from Matte on here, and they're £15 a corner cheaper than the Goodyear Eagle F1s, so I thought worth a go. Got them delivered directly to MM and got confirmation today that they've arrived safely.

-I knew that for a few weeks there has been some unwanted smoke / fumes under the bonnet but I hadn't investigated properly, to be honest probably because it hadn't triggered an EML. Anyway, Andy at MM took about 10 seconds to identify the issue. The plastic cobra pipe has snapped where the rubber breather pipe joins it (rubber pipe was cable-tied on so not immediately obvious) Here's the secondhand replacement and me pointing to where the existing one is broken.

-Powerflex gearbox mount (not sure if completely necessary but thought why not?!). Interestingly this is listed as a different item to the petrol manual ones. Presumably a different density?

-2 rear subframe bushes (will be OE ones not poly ones). No picture sorry!

-2 uprated drop links (RHS one is knocking)

-Powerflex trailing arm bushes

-4 rear rose bushes (there was play on the RHS only but I thought may as well get both sides done)

-I decided that my car must have been previously owned by someone partially sighted as every single wheel is kerbed. I managed to acquire these 4 wheels for £100 (same size as my existing ones). Cost to change will be minimal once I sell my old wheels.

And "trial fitting" if you could call it that?!

And new centre caps

Will update thread tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:35 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: BMW 530d Msport
Looks good james top work

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:53 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Just realised that I never updated this thread to say all the work had been done. Anyway, it was, and I was surprised at how much more planted the car felt when cornering and also how much quieter these tyres are than what I had on before. Especially noticeable if doing a steady 60 or 70mph cruise (i.e. not much engine noise). For my own record, work was done on 01/12/16 and mileage was 144200.

I have since started a new job down at Aston Martin in Gaydon, so the car is being used for a 30 mile commute each way. The car has been faultless - I've been taking it nice and easy, the seats are superb and the car is comfortable. According to the SID I'm getting around 55mpg overall so can't complain!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:30 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Time for a little update. One thing I've seen on various 9-5s and always wanted for myself has been the vented seats. Anyway, managed to acquire a 2003 9-5 Aero breaker and decided to hold onto the seats despite quite a few people being interested in them and me receiving a couple of offers on them.

Being 2003 seats, the plastic side pieces were grey whereas I needed black. Jason at Malcolm Miles was able to help with brand new items, surprisingly cheap at less than £15 per side.

Chatted at quite some length with Al (Pug) and he assured me that it would be relatively straightforward to install them into my car, as long as I came armed with the shopping list of parts he'd given me.

Anyway, took a trip down to Oxford a couple of days ago. Can't say I wasn't a bit nervous once Pug moved from preparing wiring onto actually modifying my car, but he was calmly confident and I knew I was in good hands.

And hey presto, they work. Heating and venting on both seats and memory on driver's all functioning correctly. I'm one happy chappy!

Big thank you to Pug. Rather than saying thanks for helping me, I should say thanks for doing it for me. I wasn't particularly helpful on the day, in fact I'd say I was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Given the interior a bit of a clean today:

Couple of other things, took the opportunity of having the front carpets out to re-route my in-car camera cable under the carpet, rather than just under the floor mat. I will drill a hole in the blank in due course to tidy it up a bit:

Also, noticed some more GM penny-pinching. They got rid of the printed fuse locations on the dashboard panel. I've changed this for an older one. Interestingly, printed or not-printed, they have the same part number.

Finally, did this a while back, but have installed a warning triangle from a phase 1 9-5. Hopefully I'll never need to use it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:00 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

So it would appear that there is little interest from other UKS members in this thread about a dirty diesel. Understandable I suppose, but I'm going to carry on anyway as I like to record things I've done to the car...

MoT is due soon and I'm conscious that the front pads will need changing in the not too distant. Have been tempted by the 314mm brake upgrade from some Vauxhall models but wasn't sure about clearance between the wheel and caliper (they're a lot bigger than the 308 calipers). Matte called in a for a brew a few weeks back so I took the opportunity to try my wheels over his brakes. As you'll see in the picture, plenty of room!

Having since given it some thought, I've decided that as I currently have a breaker in with (from a quick glance), very good 308mm fronts and 300mm rears, I will pinch those and go that route instead. Car has just turned 150k and I've never had issues with lack of braking power as it is, so the 308/300 setup will do just fine.

I'd like to clean them up and give them a lick of paint before getting them fitted - can do a much more thorough job off the car. Will go for something standard-looking, like black or grey. Guess I'd better pull my finger out!

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by JamesVey on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:07 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
I'm sure there's interest, but I find it difficult to add anything constructive as it seems to be going well. :)

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:49 am 
UKSaabs Trader

EML came on Monday last week yet car still seemed to drive fine. Rang Malcolm Miles and booked it in for them to look at on Friday afternoon. As I didn't know what was up, I drove it reasonably gingerly for the remainder of the week and managed a very respectable high 50s MPG. Just shows what this thing is capable of it you're not a loon!

Come Friday, got in the car after work and to my disgust, the damn EML had gone away! Not realizing that they would be able to use TechII to look at historical fault codes, I gave the car lots of beans on the way from Gaydon to Leicester, hoping to get the light to come on again. Didn't want to miss an opportunity to get it diagnosed and hopefully fixed.

Anyway, it did..

Got to MM and they identified the fault as the IC - you can see in the first photo that it is just starting to balloon in the middle at the bottom. If I'd known, I wouldn't have driven it so hard on the way to Leicester, but anyway, big thanks to Andy and Jason for sorting it quickly and hassle-free.

And work in progress:

I have also been experiencing an annoying whining noise which I thought at first might be a dodgy gearbox, but this was identified as a goosed wheel bearing (front left).

I am currently sourcing and cleaning up parts for my brake upgrade as mentioned previously, so when I get that all fitted I will get the wheel bearing and an oil change done, in the next 3 or so weeks.

Last edited by JamesVey on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:40 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-3 Tid turbo edition
Keep going with the updates, i'm enjoying the upgrades

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2007 9-3ss aero Anniversary
Just read this through and got to say really enjoyed it. Dont have a Saab currently but do keep looking at these (still need a diesel) more so since reading this. If you wanna sell, holler :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:49 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car is booked in at Malcolm Miles this week for fitting of the Aero brake setup, fixing of the noisy front left wheel bearing and an oil and filter change. Car will have done around 9000 miles on this oil and filter.

I’ve had the car around 2 years now and I don’t remember ever having to do an emergency brake in it. Saying that, on a few occasions I have noticed that the brakes felt underpowered, more noticeable when four-up.

I removed a full brake setup from a 2002 9-5 Aero that I was breaking for spares:

First job was to give them a good clean-up. Before and during the wire brushing:

I used Hammerite (brush-on rather than aerosol) and then a couple of days later realised my mistake – I hadn’t made an effort to drain all the brake fluid first and it was now dribbling onto the freshly-painted surface and causing it to bubble:

Back to square one, I drained the brake fluid, loosened and then tightened up the bleed nipples (wanted to be sure they hadn’t seized!) and rubbed the parts down again. I’d decided at that point that I would buy new nipples as these ones were rusty and a bit rounded.

Original plan was to keep the grooved and drilled discs but then I thought it would be a shame to paint the callipers/carriers up and use old discs with them, so I bought some Apec discs and genuine SAAB pads. Didn’t want the hub-part of the discs going rusty after 6 months so gave them a bit lick of paint too:

This is what I’ve ended up with:

Note that this photo shows one of the old bleed nipples fitted - I left these in situ just to stop any residual brake fluid from weeping out and also to stop me getting paint on the threads. The shiny new ones will be fitted when the lot goes on my car!

I’m quite pleased with the result. Okay, they’re not perfect but with a bit of road-grime and a wheel in front of them, they’ll look alright. Hopefully they give the (IMO correct) impression that the car receives a decent amount of TLC!

And for anyone interested, the bleed nipples are stainless steel, M8 x 1.25mm. About £12 delivered off eBay:

I'll add some pics once it's all fitted to the car, not that they'll be particularly visible with my current wheel choice!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:28 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
Great looking upgrade.
I've essentially the same car as you, and agree that the brake set up is a touch "undramatic". Doesn't inspire confidence coming from speed.... Looking forward to hearing how it feels.

Wish I'd bothered to spar hammerite the rear discs prior to fitting them a month or so ago, rusted up already.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next