UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Kei's 1995 900 SE Turbo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 900 SE Stage 3
Also though it was about time i put my car in here as i have been doing alot of work on it during my first year of ownership. My 1995 SAAB 900 SE in Eucalyptus Green (referred to as Dag in my family).

History of the car
My dad bought it in 1998 (when he replaced his '89 9000S), and has put an additional 125k on it since then (had 48k when it was purchased). It has a complete dealer history with every scrap of paper stuffed into a folder, and obviously having been driven around in it for 10 years i knew it very well. I inherited from my father in March 2009 at 14 years old with 176,500 miles.
August 2004 (just before going for a new rear bumper after a white granada estate rear ended us and left its mark, the granada was considerably mashed on the front end)

Planned Alterations when i joined UKS

Things that i intend to change/Fix:
1. It has a grey velour interior at present, I want beige/black leather, with matching door cards. I would love to have the interior from a viggen, but i'm guessing that it is both rare and expensive. (was not a plausible idea since it needed runner fabrication work along with electrical work too) Carpets need to be black aswell.
2. Full walnut set (Dash insert, door caps, gear knob top, glovebox cap
3. Leather gear gaitor (hated that ugly rubber one 10 years ago)
4. All the speakers and fit an external amplifier (keeping the standard clarion, as i like it. I have already replaced the dash speakers and the rear 6x9"s and i'm waiting for the door speakers to arrive)
5. Convert the cable clutch to hydraulic, though this may take a very long time for me to get round to it as i'll need a few ££ and more spare time (current clutch is quite heavy and taking some getting used to) (Got used to the cable clutch and can't be bothered with the costs/work involved in converting)
6. Add talladega front spoiler (if i can ever find one), along with side skirts from 9-3 and find some way of adding a lower rear valance to match with the talladega front. Colour code all of these along with the mirror casings.

Car at that time, March 2009 after a rinse

Alterations so far

-Black / Beige leather interior
-Chrome door handles (unplaned, technically I forgot to list them)
-17" ALU41 wheels for summer (unplanned)
-New speakers and amplifiers to power them
-Reflective rear decor panel
-Walnut dash & gear knob
-Black 93 dash panel with storage net
-Cleaned polished & waxed
-Forge DV006 recirc valve (replaced leaky bosch original that had started to "moo") (unplanned)
-Silicon vacuum lines in blue to replace the knackered rubber original (which i found had completely detached itself from the throttlebody, explaining the funny noise i got on overrun) (Unplanned)

Car as it stands now late 2009 early 2010

Alterations still outstanding

-Walnut door and glovebox cappings (extremely rare, missed one set last year)
-Finish audio system (presently i have no functional audio system until i finish building it)
-Fit the Talladega front spoiler that is still in my bedroom
-Find and fit missing trim pieces (screw covers for glovebox, 1 rear seat circlip, Nearside C-pillar cover)
-Refit headlamp protectors

Previously unplanned alterations to be done
-Fit winter tyres on to old 15" multispoke alloys
-Paint calipers in silver, black or gun metal
-Weld new panel for spare wheel well (rust had started around the drain plug and whilst cleaning that area off to carry out my undersealing it fell out leaving me a nice 3" hole, which i cleaned up and undersealed)
-New bonnet and offside doors to replace damage/rusty areas (or get existing ones repaired and repainted)
-Repaint wiper arms
-Make rear mudflaps black again
-Black strips to replace faded chrome in bumpers
-Paint tops of bumpers, mirror casings and spare grille in Eucalyptus green to match car
-Replace Glass break sensor as current one causes alarm to go off too frequently
-Replace gearbox and linkage due to the reverse gear problem getting worse

Performance Alterations for future (distant)
-Mass bush renewal to tighten things up (poly on necessary areas)
-Suspension geometry check and alignment where needed
-New springs and shocks
-updated arm kit
-22mm Rear ARB
-Jamsaab short shifter
-New engine/transmission mounts as they are no doubt shot too
-Spare DI & plugs
-Stage 1 remap and beyond (around 180-200hp/tonne)
-3" downpipe / sport cat
-Hybrid T25 rebuild or a TD04 replacement turbo (undecided)
-Braided oil/water lines
-308mm brake upgrade and 95 aero rear brakes (still undecided, might just fit better pads)
-Braided brake lines & DOT 5.1 fluid
-Sort timing chain and head gasket renewal before they become essential (i.e. do it when i have the funds rather than wait until they are thoroughly knackered)
-2.3 conversion (very distant idea, that may never occur)
-Abbott or maptun exhaust system (whichever is quieter)

Planned final images (which are missing the front spoiler and a nice stainless 2.5-3" tailpipe)

Last edited by Kei on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Kei's DAG-900
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
Looks nice Kei mate. Very clean 8)
Nice amp :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 pm 
Coffee Addict

Car Models: MY01 Gaylander
It does look very smart that, good reading these project threads. 8)
Keep up the good work Kei & keep us all posted, tis much fun following these kind of threads.
Car looks very nice & as Dave says...Clean.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 am 
UKS Addict

I will admit to OCD on the cleaning front, as i almost always clean it once a week, even if it hasn't been used. I'll get around to adding an image of the state under the bonnet. That isn't quite as nice to look at with the peeling paint and the oil/dirt. Which reminds me I need to get my camcover refurbished and a new gasket fitted as it is weeping. I keep it clean, but once you get to have a closer look at the car you'll notice it has quite a lot of stone chips and small scratches along with 2 almighty dents (one in the drivers door and the other on the bonnet) and patches which i have not finished working on which are still grey primer.

I noticed that my amp looked rather similar to yours Dave, i think mine is slightly older though as you've got the F405 and i've got the F400. (which might still be naffed, as it is still untested since its repair) Hopefully i will get the rest of the system sorted ready for a test run. I can't remember which speaker leads in the boot are left and which are right. (my labels were colour coded but i've forgotten which way round it is. Green is one side, Red is the other)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Models: One of the first RHD 9-5s
I have seen and supplied parts for this car and it is shockingly clean and tidy. Eucalyptus is the best colour SAAB ever used, suits the GM900 very well indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Formerly 900 T16
The NG900 is really growing on me - I know it's only really bumpers, but I much prefer it to the 9-3.

One point to mention re you lists of planned changes. If you put the 308mm brakes on the front, your 15" wheels won't fit so you won't be able to use those winter tyres.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 pm 
UKS Addict

AdamH wrote:
One point to mention re you lists of planned changes. If you put the 308mm brakes on the front, your 15" wheels won't fit so you won't be able to use those winter tyres.

Indeed, i had considered that problem. Problem is if i got 16" wheels to try to ensure the brakes would fit i would want either super aeros or vikings, both of which are known to be incompatible with the 308mm upgrade. I would need to find a 16" wheel (no bigger for winter shoes due to costs etc) that i like, that suits the car that works with the bigger brakes. )quite like ALU35 & ALU26 but don't have a clue about compatibility)

I might drop the idea of the 308mm upgrade for a few years and just stick with the std brakes as they are cheaper. I will probably get braided lines and posh pads once they've worn out.

Even though they are 15" wheels i really have a hankering for these:

Anyway, and update:

The front bumper received the Talladega spoiler today (fairly tough ordeal to fit it, mostly removing the original), which i will get a picture of tomorrow. The car now has all of the talladega optional extras fitted. (except the badge) I am hopefully going to start painting the calipers tomorrow aswell, in black possibly adding the saab text in afterwards in silver.

Last edited by Kei on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:56 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Nice tidy looking car you have there Kei, but I have to ask, why have you blocked out your reg plate in some of your pictures?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:08 pm 
UKS Addict

Location: Lurking ........ in the Paradise that is Bournemouth
Car Models: SAABs var.
paulb wrote:
Nice tidy looking car you have there Kei, but I have to ask, why have you blocked out your reg plate in some of your pictures?

Because this an 'open' forum and unscrupulous scrotes will clone it, and run up fines for parking, speeding and congestion charges, thats why. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 pm 
UKS Addict

paulb wrote:

I started doing it when i first started posting pictures but i have since given up as it takes too much effort. OCD means that i have to do it properly rather than a rough rubbing out. Generally though my car is rather unique making it more difficult to clone, though not impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

LoganSaab wrote:
Because this an 'open' forum and unscrupulous scrotes will clone it, and run up fines for parking, speeding and congestion charges, thats why. :(

So what happens when you are out on the public roads, car parks etc. Ok a Saab forum makes easy pickings for someone looking to clone a particular Saab but the very nature of owning and using any car means your number plate is in constant view of everyone.
My question to Kei has been answered. I was just curious why some of his pictures had been edited whilst others hadn't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:13 pm 
UKS Addict

paulb wrote:
..... but the very nature of owning and using any car means your number plate is in constant view of everyone......

and if you are unlucky enough and your numberplate is copied :( then it is a major PITA sorting the mess out.

On a brighter note, Kei's 900 is a major credit to him :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 am 
Saab Nut

9000Parts wrote:
I have seen and supplied parts for this car and it is shockingly clean and tidy. Eucalyptus is the best colour SAAB ever used, suits the GM900 very well indeed.

Not SO sure about that...it looks ok on the GM900, and Kei's example, I grant you, looks very tidy, but I've seen that colour on the 9000 and the only work that comes to mind is hideous.

Like I say it's a lot better on the 900, fortunately!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Eucalyptus looks better on the 9000 CD than the CS.......and remember that Paul's ideal car is a CD aero in eucalyptus green :park:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:21 am 
Saab Nut

McVities wrote:
Eucalyptus looks better on the 9000 CD than the CS.......and remember that Paul's ideal car is a CD aero in eucalyptus green :park:

In fairness I've never seen it on a CD so I shall reserve judgement...tbh I'm unsure on them generally. I've seen some with the full Aero kit and super Aero alloys and thought it looks sharp, but other times I see them and really hate the look.

Can't decide. There was a dairy milk purple one on eBay a while ago with the full Aero spec going on and I loved it though!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Models: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Quote:
There was a dairy milk purple one...

Ive got 2 Dairy Milk Purple cars now :lol:

Eucalyptus does suit the Saloon better in my opinion. I once had my Stealth Saloon next to Zaphods V6 and had to conclude the Hatch doesnt work quite as well in that colour.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:28 am 
UKS Addict

I quite like the 9000 CS in eucalyptus like this one:
(Azev A's look good with eucalyptus green too)

I prefer scarabe green on the 9000 though, like ommony's 9000.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:20 pm 
UKS Addict

Kei wrote:
.........I prefer scarabe green on the 9000 though, like ommony's 9000.

8) 8) :lol: .....with Sand B leather interior and acres of Walnut ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:22 pm 
Saab Nut

LoganSaab wrote:
Kei wrote:
.........I prefer scarabe green on the 9000 though, like ommony's 9000.

8) 8) :lol: .....with Sand B leather interior and acres of Walnut ...

That with Scarabe Green or Le Mans Blue (ideally) are my fave combinations. I've got it with black though, which isn't a bad compromise.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:01 pm 
UKS Addict

I fitted the Talladega front spoiler last week, and i've now managed to have some free time in conjunction with some good weather. Whilst doing it, I also managed to replace a stack of missing screws/bolts from the air shields which should help them remain attached.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 859 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next