UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2x 9000 & 9-5
The 320d was involved in an accident (someone rear ended me on a free flowing, moving road :roll:) and as we had never gelled and it was developing more and more faults, I pushed the insurance company into a decent price and agreed to let the car go as a write off.

So I needed a new daily, it had to be diesel, pretty economical, auto, comfortable and well-equipped, ideally a bit bigger than the 3 series estate and ideally cheaper than the £4.5k pay out. Not many options, in fact only two that even remotely interested me and the 9-5 was definitely the more sensible choice. After a few weeks of scouring the web I found this on Autotrader.

(The ad's already been pulled so this is all I have for the moment.)

It has 87000 miles, full Saab service history with the necessary essentials done and is a pretty decent car. It's Vector Sport spec with sat nav, bi-xenons, electric folding auto-dim mirrors, some other things, and most importantly heated, ventilated electric memory seats! I was worried it would be too slow, boaty and not particularly smooth (I was ideally looking for a 5 or 6 cylinder diesel) but it surprised me. It doesn't set my hair on fire by any means, but it pulls reasonably well with the Hirsch input. More to the point it's just a nice relaxing place to be, nothing special, but nice. My commute doesn't allow me to 'push on' so I'm happy being a bit lazier and I have the 9000 and MX5 for more fun forms of transport.

So, it needs some tidying and the odd fix. Any advice appreciated as I know nothing to do with these.

Gear selector trim...thing...missing
    Sidelights need replacing with a decent colour match for the xenons
    Alloys are pretty curbed and tyres were low on pressure, I'll have to make sure they're actually holding air properly - puncture repaired on driver's rear
    Drivers side door mirror tries, but fails, to fold in. Also needs new glass as it's discoloured.
    Interior needs a good deep clean, especially seats with some dye attention and conditioner
    Rear park assist failure, probably just a sensor needs replacing.
    Plastic engine cover cracked
    Needs a good detail and machine polish
    Colour code/black the dame's glasses
    Chinese Android HU to replace sat nav, and upgrade speakers if required
    Hirsch badge to replace Hirsch sticker on back
    Hirsch style spoiler
    Boot lip/bumper protector for the hound
    Wind deflectors
    EGR & EGR cooler delete

Maybe some suspension further down the line but I'm quite happy for now

Last edited by oli8925 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:47 am 
Saab Nut

A few hundred miles driven and I like it, it's very smooth and relaxing to drive, although it really needs nannying to get a decent MPG figure from it. It doesn't help that it's running cold so I'll get a thermostat from my local Vauxhall dealer on Sunday, but despite this I managed 47.6mpg on my most recent run to and from work which I'm more than happy with. I'm hoping with a bit of maintenance it will happily see mid-40's with slightly less careful driving.

Some slightly better pictures, and it's first wash, although just a snow foam and Megs Gold Class
Pre-wash

Snow foam failure

Post-wash

The bodywork is in pretty good condition, a few scrapes on the bumpers and a bit of unnoticeable damage to a corner of the front lip, otherwise the odd chip and defect but generally good. It is however a bit flat and full of swirls so definitely needs a full paint correction in the warmer months. I'm now coming around to the alloys too, not sure which I prefer out of these or the Turbines (Hirsch 3-spokes out of the equation), but I think these have two many chunks missing to make a refurbish worthwhile.

I'm looking forward to giving the interior a good going over and bringing the seats back up to scratch but I can't work out what colour it is - light beige or parchment? Trim colour code is L27 but Googling doesn't bring up much.

Put an order in with PFS too for the gear selector cover, Hirsch badge, rear bumper protector and a nice tax disc holder for the work car park permit. Also ordered a few important bits like nice new key ring and LED sidelights to match the Xenons as one has blown.

Last edited by oli8925 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:52 am 
Saab Nut

According to the US sales brochure it'll be Parchment, certainly looks right. Really want the Aero two-tone seats now :(

http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Saa ... 5_2008.pdf
(Page 29)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:20 am 
Saab Nut

Managed to change the thermostat on Friday, much easier job than I was expecting following a Google. Certainly easier than the BMW. Car now runs to temperature at all times so I've stuck some BP Ultimate fuel in and half a bottle of Redex to give it a clean out, and I'll see what MPG it returns after a week or twos commuting. While I was there I put some LEDs in the sidelights but I'm not too happy with the colour match so might change them again.

Hopefully next week I'll get the PFS order through. I also have new number plates to fit, leather dye and a can of Plasti Dip for the glasses just to see what I think of it. Eventual plan is to have them painted body colour when I sort the spoiler out.

Next big job is to order the new head unit and all the bits to go with it but first I want a month or two driving the car to see if anything rears it's head, and I need to fix the headlight washers and parking sensors in the very near future.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:34 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
The discoloured glass in the door mirror is probably a failure of the auto dimming glass. It's not cheap. It's much cheaper than it used to be. But standard non-dimming glass will fit.

The auto dimming glas is down to around £70 last time I looked. But it was £180 per side!! Just for a replacement glass… :shock:

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:39 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

And it's the right colour!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:46 am 
Saab Nut

Where did you find them for £70? I had a quick look around but couldn't find too much. At the moment they're usable as they are so I can take my time with them.

Certainly is the right colour, I really like it. Much prefer your rear bumper, mine looks too big without an exhaust pipe breaking it up. I notice you have a twin exit, haven't seen that on any others, is it a Hirsch exhaust and bumper? I also meant to ask you, do you have a project thread anywhere? I was looking for inspiration the other night but couldn't find many threads on the DE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

It is a Hirsch exhaust. I've had the car eight years now. It was given the full Hirsch 300 hp upgrade - engine, intercooler, downpipe, exhaust, brakes, suspension and wheels - at 19,000 miles. It's now on 136,000 miles.

There isn't a project thread. i was still working back them. So was my wife. The local Saab dealer did the whole lot in a day!! :D

But I have lots of pictures of things I have done. They're all on photobucket.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:24 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks, will have a search for you on photobucket.

Is the bumper a Hirsch option or was it a standard one cut to accept the second pipe? I think it really smartens up the look but I'd feel a complete fraud with that on a lazy TiD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:56 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

The Hirsch upgrade includes a new black panel with two cut-outs. The main bumper remains unchanged.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Nearly 3000 miles in and I'm loving it! I don't think I've ever been so relaxed on my commute. It may not be 'fun' or particularly quick...or particularly frugal...but it's so nice to just bumble along in it. Despite being quite 'GMey' it's done the SAAB thing and bitten me. I'm still looking for a closer job which would mean getting rid of the diesel, that was a prospect I was really looking forward to but I don't want to get rid of this. I'm starting to get used to the auto too, it's not the best but sufficiently takes away the characteristics of the diesel that I don't like.

So anyway, not great deal of work done as I'm waiting for some decent weather and the other cars/house have taken priority. I thought I'd have to take this off the road for a while thanks to an insurance . up but thankfully it was sorted with only a little extra expense, and a great thanks to Chris Knott for some great customer service (the . up wasn't theirs but mine and A-Plan's).

I have the leather cleaner/dye/conditioner ready to go, just need to get around to it after a journey home so it's warm in the car, Hirsch badge is also ready and waiting to go on in exchange for the oval style Hirsch badge and a few other stickers on the rear, and the bumper protector needs to go on. I noticed last week when it had a clean that it's gained a fair few scratches and defects, or I'm just noticing them more, which is a bit depressing. I guess just the result of lots of daily miles through country roads and parking in a packed work car park full of incompetent drivers (I wouldn't wish an NHS car park on my worst enemy!)

A weeks commute looks like this at this time of year

So I try to keep up my weekly wash :D (something the BMW never had)

Replaced the front number plate to smarten it up. I did try the rear but one of the screws refused to budge at all no matter how medieval I went, I might have to snap the plate around the screw so I can remove it and get more purchase on the head with a pair of mole grips.

Now reprizentin' :lol:

A couple of days ago I found, or heard, the reason for the drivers rear tyre losing around 10psi a day. After a particularly wet drive I could heard the hiss as I walked away from the car, which revealed a great big nail in it. £20 later and hopefully it won't leak any more. The fronts don't have a great deal of life left but unsure what to get as they need to last pretty well and you can't get top quality Goodyears or Michelin's for £50 in 17", so I might try some Nexens (N Fera SU4s) that get great reviews but I thought were supposed to be budget, or Hankooks K115s and Nokian zLines seem to get decent ratings or I might treat myself to Pirelli P7 Blues as they seem to be the best about and lasted for 30k miles on the BMW before it was trailered away, and they still had a fair bit of tread left. I think the new alloys/refurb will have to wait though :(.

Last edited by oli8925 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:41 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ SportWagon 2.0T
Rainsport 3's are worth their money grip wise. Won't last long but for the grip they provide and the relatively cheap price you can get them they are good tyres none the less.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:03 pm 
Saab Nut

RS3's are very good, had them on my last Puma, but they just won't last long enough for me. I do 25k miles a year so I'd rather spend a bit more on something that has a chance of lasting the year before it needs replacing again. I really can't find much on these Nexen's, usually if a cheap tyre grips well they're very soft.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ SportWagon 2.0T
One of the good wearing tyres I've had on my Saab were Sava Intensa UHP, if you can get them cheaply they are good tyres and I can vouch for them with 2 hands and I'd definitely be more inclined on getting mid-range european tyre than nexens or any other korean/taiwan/chinese sung wung mung ditch finder formulated stuff made for other climates and other continents.
Grip wise the Sava are very good in the dry and good in the wet and quiet (not the best at resisting aquaplaning compared to rs3 however), once they drop below 4mm (about 16k miles worth on my 9-3 with some abuse and mixed driving, will certainly last longer on motorway cruiser) the wet grips drops a bit further, at 3mm I replaced them as they started also getting noisier which was about 20k miles worth which considering they were on the front only without rotation a set of 4 with more sedate driving with rotation and I can actually see them doing 30k miles. Also their sidewalls are quite stiff and resisted some harsh potholes/hits when on trip in eastern europe (at one point I though there will be bits of my alloy wheel missing the hit was that bad) but there was no damage to the tyre at all and the wheel protector against kerbs is the best I've had on any tyre (including goodyears, michelin's, only continental sport-contact 2 had almost as good protector).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:09 pm 
Saab Nut

I'll take a look at the Sava, pretty sure I had some before and they were dire. They were probably ancient though so unfair to compare.

Having had another look about today I'll probably go for the Pirellis. The cheapest are the Hankooks at £75 a corner fitted, they get good ratings but I have no idea how long they might last. The Nexen's and Nokians are £82 and £86 per corner respectively and the Pirellis are £91 a corner with Asda. So the Hankooks would save me £32 in total over 1 axle but unless I find evidence otherwise may cost me another £150 in half the mileage the Pirellis would.

I also realised today I haven't mentioned my collection of sounds. It's starting to sound a bit more GM even if it doesn't feel it :roll: both front door cards have a rattle, the steering column has a kind of squeak (sounds like two fabrics passing over each other), and passenger rear seat upright has a very annoying squeak coming from the hinge and the rear suspension is starting to groan a bit, which I assume is the usual issue with the bushes. To be fair it does take some punishment on my daily roads, some of them are awful!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 am 
Saab Nut

Just managed to get two Pirelli P7 Blue tyres at SE Tyres for £83 each including fitting. A cheap promotional batch they bought in, 100 in total and these are the last ones in Kent and Essex. Just hope the current Contis hold out for the two weeks while they're delivered!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:15 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 Aero GT30 Power :D
What a heap :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:49 pm 
Saab Nut

Well, it's a bit of an oily bus by nature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:43 pm 
Saab Nut

My mojo's been a bit low lately so I bought myself a little present to help me along. I also gave it another overdue wash and, as it was still looking a bit flat, gave it the once over with AngelWax QED. Then I stuck my Team Heko wind deflectors on. Not sure if they'll make a great deal of difference but I always wanted to stick a set on the 9000 and I quite often find I want a bit of fresh airflow on the way home but without the buffeting, I like the way they look anyway.

As I was then in the cleaning mood and the weather was behaving I took the hoover out. In my few months ownership it had become a bit of a state with the usual dirt accumulating in the footwells, but nothing could have prepared me for tipping forward the rear seats.

:argh: :bag:

This was growing things. No idea what it was once upon a time.

Can't wait to strip it and attack the carpets with the machine cleaner in the warmer months.

Last edited by oli8925 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 Aero GT30 Power :D
Do you find any wind noise with the deflectors, my 9k makes quite a lot of wind noise when cruising on the motorway and pretty sure its because of them.