UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
OH.. not so good Dave... Did you have to start it to put on loader..? how did it sound..?
Usually when the turbo goes you get plumes of smoke out the exhaust but as you where pottering and switched it off it wouldn't get chance to I guess..
If you stayed up here see I'd fix it for you for nowt.. apart from the bits you needed.. :wink:
You won't know till the garage check it for you.. fingers crossed mate..

Saabocus
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others
Focus ST

RX8 B204

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:47 am 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Oh wow, that is really unfortunate, let's just hope that it is just the turbo that has gone and nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
paolo wrote:
Carp!

Do you think it could be the misfires you were experiencing causing detonation?

Either way that sucks as you say.

Hopefully the garage diagnosis isnt too terminal - fingers crossed.

I think they were the cause Paul, probably chipping away at it all this time and threw in the towel when I gave t some beans. Hasn't been right since day one really on this stage 5 tune (but we all know that) never again.....

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Kei wrote:
Bummer. That's two dead saabs that'll land on SWSS this month.

Hopfully it's not too difficult/costly to repair.

I don't think it'll get to them mate, time I fork out for a transporter and cash to get it diagnosed as dead I don't think it's worth it. It's lost a load of oil....probably dead :(

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 pm 
UKS Addict

jasovanooo wrote:
the turbo literally exploded? surely even if the wheel came off the shaft it wouldn't pour oil like that... you sure its not chucked a rod or something ?

That's what I'm starting to think, can't be sure until I take a better look.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 pm 
UKS Addict

Car 55 wrote:
OH.. not so good Dave... Did you have to start it to put on loader..? how did it sound..?
Usually when the turbo goes you get plumes of smoke out the exhaust but as you where pottering and switched it off it wouldn't get chance to I guess..
If you stayed up here see I'd fix it for you for nowt.. apart from the bits you needed.. :wink:
You won't know till the garage check it for you.. fingers crossed mate..

Thanks Mike much appreciated mate.

It got dragged onto the low loader but had to drive it around the corner into my parking bay as it was blocking the street. Smoke eveywhere and farting all the way. Pretty sure it's curtains :(

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Mah wrote:
Oh wow, that is really unfortunate, let's just hope that it is just the turbo that has gone and nothing else.

Was really hoping this but the amount of oil it's dropped I think it's something serious. Absolutely gutted!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:40 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Thrown a rod, or blown a piston or 3 from the misfires/running lean.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Anyway of knowing without taking the engine to bits?

Can anything be seen by pulling the plugs and looking inside?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:12 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 99L, 9000cse, 9-5s and a Panda
Didn't Saabotage discover a missing piston in his recent Merlot without taking the engine apart?

Have you a cheap endoscope
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131966970770? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Maybe that one isn't a real cheap one but you get the idea

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm 
UKS Addict

DeeDub8 wrote:
Didn't Saabotage discover a missing piston in his recent Merlot without taking the engine apart?

Thanks I'll get one of these, at least then I'll know. I don't think it's worth the effort/cash getting it to the garage yet. Will get that and post the pics for the more mechanically minded to ponder over!

If it's goosed (probably is) I may aswel have a crack at stripping it myself over summer with nothing to lose!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:38 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
Really sorry to read about the car. As said earlier get an endoscope, I have a cheap one works just fine takes good video and pictures.

Stu

Clio dci

Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:20 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 95 2.3t estate
Griffin Dai wrote:
DeeDub8 wrote:

Thanks I'll get one of these, at least then I'll know. I don't think it's worth the effort/cash getting it to the garage yet. Will get that and post the pics for the more mechanically minded to ponder over!

If it's goosed (probably is) I may aswel have a crack at stripping it myself over summer with nothing to lose!

Where abouts in south wales are you? If nots far from cwmbran i dont mind popping over and having a look. Ive got one of those cameras..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:55 pm 
UKS Addict

SaabnScotland wrote:
Really sorry to read about the car. As said earlier get an endoscope, I have a cheap one works just fine takes good video and pictures.

Stu

Thanks Stu :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Seb_Ryan wrote:
Griffin Dai wrote:
DeeDub8 wrote:

Where abouts in south wales are you? If nots far from cwmbran i dont mind popping over and having a look. Ive got one of those cameras..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Thanks budd, I'm in Llantwit Fardre so a bit of a drive from you. I'm getting one next time I'm home to take a look but thanks for the offer.

Floated the idea of a replacement engine to the missis, didn't go down well!! She wants the 'death trap' gone now :roll: :wall:

2nd hand vxr engines are £500ish shiny new b284.....£4.5k!!!! Probably better off getting another 9-3 and swap everything over!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:03 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
If the engine has gone pop then yeah I would opt for the vxr engine at approx £500 Dave..
I'm sure someone down your end of the woods would help you fit it..

Saabocus
Astra GTC
6 Saabs
2 Others
Focus ST

RX8 B204

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:19 am 

Car Model: Saab 93 aero 2.8 v6 turbo
I Am in the same boat as you my friend blew mine last weekend, bottom end let go, defo the map, already ripped my engine out to find coolant in the fmic along with oil, which has mixed in the turbo, sucked in and hydro locked for a second and bust my big ends......

Found a few things wrong whilst stripping out the lump......so glad I did.....

Now the only question I have is do I buy a vxr engine or gen Saab, will vxr lump plumb in ok electrically more then anything, and which has the better built engine?

372bhp 480lbft (650nm).

JZW STAGE 5+

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
Torqueytommy wrote:
I Am in the same boat as you my friend blew mine last weekend, bottom end let go, defo the map, already ripped my engine out to find coolant in the fmic along with oil, which has mixed in the turbo, sucked in and hydro locked for a second and bust my big ends......

Found a few things wrong whilst stripping out the lump......so glad I did.....

Now the only question I have is do I buy a vxr engine or gen Saab, will vxr lump plumb in ok electrically more then anything, and which has the better built engine?

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:09 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 234r 9-3 nail
it was mentioned earlier in this very thread that you couldn't go what low down due to the stress on the bottom end (among other issues like the fuel cut misfires lean running etc etc) and it was considered to be Austin Allegro mapping then... (I mean who requests an unusable amount?) ive no doubt I could see 2+bar on the 234 but it wouldn't live long even if it outlived the puny turbo trying to deliver it and it would have the same delivery style as the jzw indicating to me that the turbo is being ringed alive in the low/midrange as id expect a normal car making 530ftlb to make more than 400 ish bhp assuming it wasn't diesel)

that said you can acquire whole v6 9-3's fairly cheaply these days so how much is an engine gonna be? considering the other mods vs swapping it all to another one

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:09 am 

Car Model: Saab 93 aero 2.8 v6 turbo
jasovanooo wrote:
it was mentioned earlier in this very thread that you couldn't go what low down due to the stress on the bottom end (among other issues like the fuel cut misfires lean running etc etc) and it was considered to be poo mapping then... (I mean who requests an unusable amount?) ive no doubt I could see 2+bar on the 234 but it wouldn't live long even if it outlived the puny turbo trying to deliver it and it would have the same delivery style as the jzw indicating to me that the turbo is being ringed alive in the low/midrange as id expect a normal car making 530ftlb to make more than 400 ish bhp assuming it wasn't diesel)

that said you can acquire whole v6 9-3's fairly cheaply these days so how much is an engine gonna be? considering the other mods vs swapping it all to another one

Well for a non torquey engine 530ftlbs would be around 500hp+.....mine makes more torque then my mates ESS charged e90 m3, that's 628hp to the crank and only makes 450ftlbs and it's obviously a v8.....

Thankfully our engines are relatively cheap so not bothered there, if your in this game it's not uncommon at all to blow, lose an engine (not my first think I'm on 8 ), always going to get problems with base maps, or generic ones, everycar is different even if they have same engines etc, that's why custom maps or live maps are the best....

I'm going to harras some vxr boys and find out where they all get theirs mapped etc

372bhp 480lbft (650nm).

JZW STAGE 5+

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next