UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:54 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: T16s Flatty, 9-3 Viggen Vert
Well, it was a nice day, found myself with a few hours and some mates over who had nothing better to do, so the work commenced.

First thing was to take the front end to pieces to see how much room we had, and how much we could play with things to get a big old IC in there.

Found some corrosion on the front cross member, but not in the structural section so will be cutting that out later this week and welding a plate over it (if I can borrow a welder from somewhere). A little welding to the rear arches and that should see it done.

Hopefully next weekend we will be taking the engine out ready for the new gearbox to be fitted. Taking the opportunity to replace gaskets, check pistons etc, put on the new manifold for the zaust with external wastegate etc.

Now all I need is a bigger turbo.......... and some shock absorbers, and a 16V throttle body, and some new bottom radiator hoses so I can connect up the water cooling to the throttle body and the new larger turbo etc etc etc etc. Well, we have to start somewhere.....

-=F=-

Attachments:
Rad Slam Panel etc off.jpg
Rad Slam Panel etc off.jpg [ 308.59 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]
Bonnet and Grill Off.jpg
Bonnet and Grill Off.jpg [ 205.45 KiB | Viewed 3486 times ]

Last edited by -=FUBES=- on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:20 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

is it the older type t/b you are looking for fubes ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:38 pm 
UKS Addict

Ideally looking for a T3/T4 Hybrid Alan. Something that will flow 25psi with ease. Ideally looking for over the 250BHP mark from this thing, so the bigger the better.

-=F=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:17 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

sorry t/b = throttle body in my kneck of the woods :D t3 /t4 hybrid , i wish i had one , but i'm just going to have to make do with the TD04 i have lined up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:45 pm 
UKS Addict

Ok, an update.

Engine is now out, holes have started appearing for the Custom Exhaust.

Going to be splitting and rebuilding the engine over the next couple of weeks, then, with a little help from my friends, he is in for a coat of paint and some smartening up.

Couple of additional piccies below, not great quality, but it shows the progress.

Nearly Out

Empty Bay (and no rust, although the pic does not do that credit)

Side Exit Exhaust...

Sorted the throttle body now, and got all the flywheel and clutch assy out of the 9000 (thanks Ade), springs should be here by now, hoping for tomorrow morning. Just some long nights and much swearing over the next few weeks and he should be up and about by xmas I hope! Managed to get hooked up with a TD04 as well Alan, it should be interesting to compare notes.

More to come.......

-=F=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:11 am 
You should use a bit of Loctite 518 when resealing the block. It's the same as Saab part
number: 9321795 and you can use it on all the engine seals in place of traditional paper
gaskets. Silicone drys hard which leaves gaps where the oil leaks out and also blobs off inside and
blocks up oilways. This stuff is much safer but also quite pricy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:23 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Mitsi L200
Somewhat interesting position for a side exhaust, best of luck. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Mr Jenner, I think you've just identified the GM replacement for 9321795. Looks exactly the same. Was about £15 IIRC. Part number 90297970 should be available through Saab or Vauxhall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:38 pm 
UKS Addict

-=FUBES=- wrote:
Side Exit Exhaust...

David, you absolute nutter! :lol: Love it - that things gonna sound awesome! 8)

Best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Well, another full weekend planned.

Tomorrow will see the engine stripped and partially rebuilt, the engine bay cleaned, the patches welded in and the springs changed. If time allows then the brakes will get the treatment as well (new discs and pads).

Sunday will see the engine back in (I hope) and then we get to measuring for pipework! Thats when the trouble begins!

Wish me luck......

-=F=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:34 am 
so what engine rebuild work are you planning on doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:00 pm 
UKS Addict

Well, what a weekend. 4 Hours yesterday and 6 hours today and the good lady is still speaking to me (she obviously wants to go shoe shopping?).

As for the engine mods Emmett, not very much really. The car did not smoke (even when pushing 1.6bar boost), the chains were silent, so it was just stripping off turbo, manifolds, gearbox, fly wheel, clutch etc.

Only problem is, once I had it all off I saw the state of the core plugs. New ones on order. And the bearings for the crank / flywheel had gone very "loose" so new ones going in as well.

The other problem is the discs. Sourced some front handbrake vented discs, and hoped with some . and an angle grinder they would fit. Got them on, to find they are rubbing on the bottom suspension arm so that is a no go. Looks like some Brembo solids, or I might be tempted with the black diamond grooved ones. Have to have a cojetate about it over a pint or two.

Anyhow, the side exit exhaust is coming together, looks like I have all the right bits, just need to get the engine back in and then get the measurements. A little bit of welding on the nearside rear arch, some new rear brake pads and we should be laughing!

Some more piccies for your enjoyment.... that engine bay took hours to clean (no water at the lock up so was done with a paint scrapper, a razor blade and one very very oily rag now!).

Attachments:
Some Small Welding Needed.jpg
Some Small Welding Needed.jpg [ 173.89 KiB | Viewed 3478 times ]
Semi Stripped Engine.jpg
Semi Stripped Engine.jpg [ 404.34 KiB | Viewed 3477 times ]
Side Exit Exhaust Takes Shape.jpg
Side Exit Exhaust Takes Shape.jpg [ 691.02 KiB | Viewed 3474 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Some More....

Attachments:
Properly Clean Engine Bay.jpg
Properly Clean Engine Bay.jpg [ 356.77 KiB | Viewed 3482 times ]
Abbott Springs in Place.jpg
Abbott Springs in Place.jpg [ 252.85 KiB | Viewed 3473 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:40 pm 
are you gonna stick in a full sump guard while you have the luxuary of an empty engine bay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:14 pm 
UKS Addict

In time Emmett I will put a full guard in, but while we are setting up the engine etc I am working on the principle that leaving it off might be prudent. Once I have fried this gearbox (notice the confidence there?) then I will probably fab one up to fit, but for now........ think of it as weight saving for the fat bugger behind the wheel lol.

-=F=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:54 pm 
Active user

fat bugger fubes? u mean ur letting me have a go?!!!

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:29 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Mitsi L200
-=FUBES=- wrote:
In time Emmett I will put a full guard in, but while we are setting up the engine etc I am working on the principle that leaving it off might be prudent. Once I have fried this gearbox (notice the confidence there?) then I will probably fab one up to fit, but for now........ think of it as weight saving for the fat bugger behind the wheel lol.

-=F=-

No need to fab one up, take a look underneath the blue 900, Dyna has next time your over :wink:
Or you can buy the things off ebay USA pretty cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:26 pm 
UKS Addict

Do you think he would notice if I pinched it Si? LoL.

-=F=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Well, a busy Saturday sees the engine back in, and the Intercooler "tacked" in place. Piccy's for your perusal:

Ok, so I am going to have to weld the towing eyes somewhere else, but, I have not had to move the radiator so swings and roundabouts.

Next the brakes..........

-=F=-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:06 pm 
looking good there!

spent quite a bit of time down your way recently! didn't get to meet you though. I was helping Richn break his old Carlsson (in exchange for a couple of bits) Hows your hand after the angle grinder incident?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next