UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:34 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:22 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-3 TiD auto
BeMoto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Boring VW Golf
ShiftyBloke wrote:
Just bought a Honda Blackbird from a mate, 16k miles. Going to pick it up Tuesday :) Any insurers people recommend?

As mentioned Bemoto are a decent company and I have been with them in the past, Sadly last Month they were not trading for New Quotations just to deal with existing customers or claims so I ended up going with Bikesure for the Hayabusa....Obviously this is due to COVID-19

One to avoid is MCE, They generally come up the Cheapest via Confused.Com but they really are cowboys and if you ever need to rely on them you will wish you never bothered...Oh and they Void your Insurance if you SORN your Bike at any point.

Hope you enjoy the Blackbird, What Year is it? Just bear in mind that the Blackbird is due its Major Service at 16000 Miles which includes the Valve Clearances Inspection/Adjustment, If your Friend has not done it then get it done for piece of mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:01 am 
Arkwright.

Car Models: 1984 99GL, 1992 C900 T16, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, FIAT 500 TwinAir
Moving this thread to ''Your Cars'', as it has turned into a bike showcase thread.

But I'll make it a sticky so it does not get lost.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:08 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 95 Aero Estate
bonelorry wrote:
ShiftyBloke wrote:
Just bought a Honda Blackbird from a mate, 16k miles. Going to pick it up Tuesday :) Any insurers people recommend?

As mentioned Bemoto are a decent company and I have been with them in the past, Sadly last Month they were not trading for New Quotations just to deal with existing customers or claims so I ended up going with Bikesure for the Hayabusa....Obviously this is due to COVID-19

One to avoid is MCE, They generally come up the Cheapest via Confused.Com but they really are cowboys and if you ever need to rely on them you will wish you never bothered...Oh and they Void your Insurance if you SORN your Bike at any point.

Hope you enjoy the Blackbird, What Year is it? Just bear in mind that the Blackbird is due its Major Service at 16000 Miles which includes the Valve Clearances Inspection/Adjustment, If your Friend has not done it then get it done for piece of mind.

Thanks for the heads up, I was seeing MCE looking quite decent so I will avoid. I was with Bikesure before so may go with them.

My other bike is with Hastings but I'm a little confused, I've the policy documents but I can't see the policy on my account, I can also trace my payment to them going out so I can only assume they haven't done something, worrying! I will ring them tomorrow, I did Tax it recently so I'm assuming there would be complaints if it wasn't insured :shock:

On the 16k front... my mate also looks after my Saabs (davesaab on here), he rebuilt the bike completely so it wants for nothing :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:22 pm 
Saab Nut

Few more jobs done on the Busa...

I have never been entirely happy with the Feel of the Front Brake and always felt it lacked initial Bite, The Standard Pads are not great from what I have read and going on what fellow Owners have said especially on the later ABS Bikes with Brembo Front Calipers is that swapping the Pads makes quite a difference.

The Bikes done 8000 Miles and is 3 Years old so was due a Brake Fluid Change, The pads which are the originals had loads of life left in them which says a lot about how hard the compound is but as said lacked initial Bite.

I did some research before buying because the Front Brembo Calipers used on the Hayabusa are of a bit of an odd design with the Bleed Nipples on the Inside and Brake Pad Choice is a bit limited.

After much mind changing I opted to go for some SBS Brake Pads in the end.

New Front & Rear SBS Sintered Pads
Brake Fluid Change using ATE Typ 200 DOT 4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 pm 

Car Models: 9-3 Convertible
S1000R with lightweight HP wheels and levers. Bit of a garage queen really :D

The other bike has moved on - anybody know what it is?

Attachments:
DSC02192_2__1593524273_94327__1593524273_49550.jpg
DSC02192_2__1593524273_94327__1593524273_49550.jpg [ 145 KiB | Viewed 957 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm 

Car Models: 9-3 Convertible
Correct - Yamaha MT01 one of the last on a 2012 plate. Was my first 'naked' and great fun to ride, would pull top from 1200rpm as it had a massive 150kn of torque. Heavy old lump and very well put together.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Charliecloud wrote:
S1000R with lightweight HP wheels and levers. Bit of a garage queen really :D

The other bike has moved on - anybody know what it is?

I have had 2 x Gen 1 S1000R Sports and an Identical 2018 S1000R Sport to yours. Great all rounders.

As already mentioned, Yamaha MT01 for your other Bike. I worked for Yamaha in 2004/5 and used to sell them Brand New, I remember us having One for a Demo Bike with the Akraprovic's 8) Plenty of Grunt but then it should have for a 1700CC V-Twin!\

A good Friend of mine was very close to buying One from us but opted for a Brand New 2005 5VY R1 instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:56 pm 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 9-5 2.3t
Let me tell you a quick story..
I was looking for a new apartment yesterday, wandering around the local classifieds as you do, fuelled by beer as normal.
Found a few places, then went to the motorcycle section.
Saw an RD250LC in white, rang the bloke up and after a bit of confusion, I went and had a look.
Exactly one hour later, a deposit was paid and I was on my way home (BIG SMILEY FACE HERE).
Rocked up tonight with a trailer and it now outside my flat ready for a bit of TLC before the Swedish MoT.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 99L, 9000cse, Panda, Octavia estate and far too many 9-5s.
sonflowerinwales wrote:
I was looking for a new apartment yesterday, wandering around the local classifieds as you do, fuelled by beer as normal.
Saw an RD250LC in white, rang the bloke up and after a bit of confusion, I went and had a look.
Exactly one hour later, a deposit was paid and I was on my way home (BIG SMILEY FACE HERE).
Rocked up tonight with a trailer and it now outside my flat ready for a bit of TLC before the Swedish MoT.

Paul

You can go off people you know. :envy: :envy:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 am 
Saab Nut

sonflowerinwales wrote:

Paul

Great stuff, Always nice to see an Elsie 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:30 am 

Car Models: 9-5
Wow. Lotta bikes here. Mine is an old 929 Fireblade which I've had from new since 2001. It's had 3 blocks, now back on the first having been rebored to 954cc. It was used a lot for trackday, mainly Assen but now is retired into sports tourer mode. Enough power to keep you alert (no TC!) and comfortable enough to be able to ride all day. No picture required, you all know what they look like.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: GSXR1000 K2 Aero vert gone
Well after looking forever I have found a cheap small second bike. Twenty five years old, virtually one owner and serviced by the same mechanic until the owner sadly died.

Cosmetically challenged (it was found in a leaky shed and covered in grease) but all there. Tight engine and good gearbox (for a Honda) and it goes well. Great for exploring the local lanes and light as a feather, it is like riding a moped after the Gixer.

It is a CB Two Fifty, that I will use and improve over the winter. I have already changed the oil, cleaned the mesh filter and fitted a louder horn, it is just fast enough to keep ahead of 56mph limited trucks. Just over £100 for 12months tax and limited comp insurance with about 75mpg it is cheaper than walking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:39 pm 
UKS Addict

old cabbie 1945 wrote:
Well after looking forever I have found a cheap small second bike. Twenty five years old, virtually one owner and serviced by the same mechanic until the owner sadly died.

Cosmetically challenged (it was found in a leaky shed and covered in grease) but all there. Tight engine and good gearbox (for a Honda) and it goes well. Great for exploring the local lanes and light as a feather, it is like riding a moped after the Gixer.

It is a CB Two Fifty, that I will use and improve over the winter. I have already changed the oil, cleaned the mesh filter and fitted a louder horn, it is just fast enough to keep ahead of 56mph limited trucks. Just over £100 for 12months tax and limited comp insurance with about 75mpg it is cheaper than walking.

If it's a CB from my generation I'd need convincing it's better than walking. Though a mate from that time had a CB360 and could hustle that. Though he did plough it into the back of a flatback vegetable wholesaler's van thing dead centre so maybe his personal wiring wasn't what it could have been. More beetroot than blood but he broke bones and was damn lucky to survive.

I'm glad your perseverance has paid off. I'm still looking for something similar.

By the way the PhotosAreAMust committee are reviewing your membership.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:19 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
cbs are super simple bikes
used to buy loads of lovely nick ones off old boys who just potter bout on them
now get cleaning it if its been in a mucky damp shed

cant be many lcs in sweeden

you ever seen one of these in sweeden :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahoo/6805250006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:25 pm 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 9-5 2.3t
Afternoon Scandi
Not seen one of those in the UK, let alone Sweden...
But I may just go for a wander around the For Sale section of their internet tonight.
I did see a nice 1971 247 Montesa last night for 1200 GBP, might just go and have a look
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:42 pm 
UKS Addict

The Honda is a MC26 similar to a Nighthawk in the US but with alloy wheels and a disc front brake. It is not even a full 250, it is a bored out CD200 engine I believe. Mine is an odd colour, Colour Code NH318 Fathom Blue Gray (sic), only available for a couple of years probably because it was not a popular choice and not as far as I can tell sold in the States.
It fulfils my brief in that it had to be cheap, light, manageable and fast enough not to be bothered by trucks on main roads.

Sorry, although it has been explained to me how to do it on this forum I still fail when it comes to photos. I can only just manage to attach them to emails!

Good luck with your search DeeDub. I looked on everything I knew from before lockdown, I chased bikes within a 150 mile radius and ironically found the best one 8 miles away. The owner told me the bike had been advertised for 6 minutes when I rang, I was looking at the bike within 30 minutes of my call and his phone rang twice with enquiries while I was there. It was a cheap bike I have seen worse bikes advertised at half as much again as I paid. In the end if you are patient I am sure you will find a bargain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:50 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
must be rare not one fathom grey piccy on google

night hawk sounds better
think bro has had most cbs he had about nine cb750s and 900s at one point when they were 500 quid for a fairly decent one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:40 pm 
UKS Addict

scanditurbo wrote:
cbs are super simple bikes
used to buy loads of lovely nick ones off old boys who just potter bout on them
now get cleaning it if its been in a mucky damp shed

cant be many lcs in sweeden

you ever seen one of these in sweeden :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahoo/6805250006

It needs more than a clean Scandi the wheels are badly chipped/blistered, the frame and swinging arm have surface rust, paint on the panels is marked but as it has few owners all the nuts are good, none rounded and bodged. Nice little bike, will keep me riding until I'm 90 :lol: I think the colour was only available in 1993 and 1994 although mine is registered in May 95. Does not matter they were all the same from 1992.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:23 pm 
UKS Addict

My detective skills think this is what you have. Apart from the colour and neglect of course.
In my Yoouf I'd ignore it as not being big or fast enough. My views are changing.
Attachment:
nighthawk_2.jpg
nighthawk_2.jpg [ 43.85 KiB | Viewed 863 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next