UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9.3 Aero
It's looking good Anthony.

What's the story on the X-Type?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
Raymond wrote:
It's looking good Anthony.

What's the story on the X-Type?

Cheers Ray, I smashed up our Honda and fancied a change. Went from Jazz to Jag. From 1.4 manual to 3.0 Auto. From front wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. From 84bhp to 243. From 41mpg to 26mpg :mrgreen: but I only do 5,000 miles per year in it so am I bothered?!
Despite its age, it's loaded with features as it's an SE model (cruise, heated&electric leather, nav, full size alloy spare etc) and has only covered 68K miles.

I love it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br4n4D5Fh6b ... hare_sheet
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqRr97ElN_C ... hare_sheet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:01 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Looks good mate. I like that colour and that it isn’t a sport. Sports look too plastics. The chrome gives it it’s classy looks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 am 
UKS Addict

Raymond wrote:
Looks good mate. I like that colour and that it isn’t a sport. Sports look too plastics. The chrome gives it it’s classy looks.

Cheers mate. It's a bit of an old man's car in a sense, but it's lovely to drive. I agree the Sport can look a bit plasticky with it's colour-coded bumper inserts and I've not been a fan of the facelift grille as it looked like Jag were trying to squeeze a few more years out of a dated design.
All in all, it I find it aesthetically pleasant. It doesn't start a fire in me like the Saab does, but it's a lovely way to travel to and from work and it has the power to perform when it has to.

Part of me is very tempted to swap out the rear boxes for a pair of Sportex rear mufflers but at the same time, I feel like this car should remain stock, and unfettled.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Been a good few months and I've not been that busy with the Saab other than keeping it clean.
I have the car booked for a dyno run on the 11th so in preparation, I am working on the air intake. I was running an open filter but being candid, i feel all it did was suck in hot air off the engine bay.
For anyone not acquainted with the set up in the 93, the snorkel for the airbox curves back on itself and faces the radiator. It works, but it's not attractive.

So I thought about relocating the intake down next to the foglight without losing the fog. Keep it looking as stock as possible.

So I got creative with the dremel and some 3" flexible silicone ducting (3" will fit on the tubing which links to the airbox.)

That links through the splash guard (tactical, small.hole cut) and past the oil cooler lines feeding into an air scoop positioned on the inside of the driver's fog light.
The picture makes it look a bit Heath Robinson as i had to make a modification to it to get it to fit.

I have since tidied it a bit, squished the tubing to fit around the fog light, got the bumper fitted back on and took the car out.

I had done some testing beforehand and I'm seeing a 2°C drop in intake temperature - I tested at the same ambient temperature and took the number after performing the same power run. Ambient at 6°C, intake sitting at 11°C after a solid 3rd gear pull.
Ambient intake temperatures are sitting a couple degrees lower than before too.
It was not an easy installation, taking me the best part of a day to do properly but I feel it's been worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:05 pm 
UKS Addict

So today i finally got the wishbones replaced.
Both ball joints had been showing their age and one had been an advisory on the past few MOTs so definitely worth doing.

What a transformation! The car is solid - no play in the wheel, no squirrelling through the wheel under load like it used to, absolutely perfect.
Went oem on the arms even though i know patterns are cheap. Comparing the bushes on pattern vs own, they appear stronger and more durable on the own and the quality of the plating on the sleeve is better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am 
UKS Addict

345mm Vauxhall VXR calipers procured will be re-sealing them and painting them red!
These will be going with some drilled and slotted front and rear discs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 am 
UKS Addict

Busy few weeks!
Got the 2.8 rolling roaded but the clutch wouldn't hold. It ran up to just shy of 300hp but at 512Nm (2,900RPM) the clutch wouldn't hold and it didn't grab until the other side of 4,000rpm.

So I'll be having a CG rebuilt clutch put in during June.

In other news, my 345mm calipers are now rebuilt with fresh seals, pistons and bleed nipples. Will be fitted, along with braided hoses after Swedish day now since I can't risk not having the car for it :D

And since I'm busy spending money on this car, I thought I might go all out so a stainless BSR system has found its way onto the car :mrgreen:

Actually quite a nice sound. Nothing boomy about it despite it being connected to a high flow cat and 3" of downpipe. The sound compliments the car quite well. A bit grufty but not obnoxious and does hint at a bit of power. Cruising at 70 sounds the same as before though the car is louder when you put your foot down.

Importantly, the exhaust tips fill the cut outs much better than the originals which always had a bit too big a gap around them for my liking.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Looking good Anthony!

It's turning into a right drooling 8) machine with those pipes.

I'm doing arms etc on mine this bank holiday weekend if the weather picks up.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
Looking great Anthony.

Really fancied a late pre facelift v6 vert next (can’t be doing with the fibre optics nonsense again!!!!) but she’s getting broody again so it’ll probably a wagon. Missing the oomph on my saabs here!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:25 am 
UKS Addict

Raymond wrote:
Looking good Anthony!

It's turning into a right drooling 8) machine with those pipes.

I'm doing arms etc on mine this bank holiday weekend if the weather picks up.

Cheers Ray! I'll confess I got the garage to do the arms because a lot of the components were quite badly corroded and I don't have a lift. all in all they only charged me an hour's labour across both arms to fit so for the sake of £60, I got my Saturday back which is big on the family points.

Griffin Dai wrote:
Looking great Anthony.

Really fancied a late pre facelift v6 vert next (can’t be doing with the fibre optics nonsense again!!!!) but she’s getting broody again so it’ll probably a wagon. Missing the oomph on my saabs here!!!

Thanks Dave!
I realise I'm biased but I also prefer the pre facelift 93. The fibreoptics don't bother me so much because it's not a daily, but I agree they can be a faff. One thing I am finding is that the dials in the facelift dash which were regarded as modern 5 years ago, are now dated as many new cars are moving back to buttons for controls like fan speed and temperature control!

Definitely get yourself another V6 and boost it to 350hp. There are a couple more options - more local to you than I which will get you to that mark with a spend of circa £1500. The 2.8 was born to be a sleeper!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:35 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
Quad_cam_turbo wrote:

Thanks Dave!
I realise I'm biased but I also prefer the pre facelift 93. The fibreoptics don't bother me so much because it's not a daily, but I agree they can be a faff. One thing I am finding is that the dials in the facelift dash which were regarded as modern 5 years ago, are now dated as many new cars are moving back to buttons for controls like fan speed and temperature control!

Definitely get yourself another V6 and boost it to 350hp. There are a couple more options - more local to you than I which will get you to that mark with a spend of circa £1500. The 2.8 was born to be a sleeper!

Yeah I’ll be taking mine to flea next, he’s got an excellent rep with the fiat coupes, it’s great news for us that he’s getting into the 2.8, He’s not too far away either just I’ve the bridge :)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:50 am 
UKS Addict

Griffin Dai wrote:
Quad_cam_turbo wrote:

Thanks Dave!

Yeah I’ll be taking mine to flea next, he’s got an excellent rep with the fiat coupes, it’s great news for us that he’s getting into the 2.8, He’s not too far away either just I’ve the bridge :)

Agreed! There's a chap called Ben who has a 2.8 wagon which I believe has been a test bed car for Leighton to work on so I started following this with some interest 2 or 3 months ago when it was getting some traction. Absolutely savage car from the vids I've seen. Also a chap called Dean with a late 2006 auto is having a hybrid 19T and bigger injectors along with a rolling road remap done. That's big dollar but I'm looking forward to seeing the results at Swedish day!
For me, it's probably a job for next year (or when the stock turbo fails) - get a hybrid turbo built and injectors to match along with MAP sensor and various other accessories, then remap with Aura. At the minute it's just on paper - we'll see how it performs on the rolling road once the new clutch is fitted and bedded in.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am 
UKS Addict

Pinch protection and comfort opening retrofitted!

New switches, motors and door looms installed and the feature turned on via Tech2.

After removing the door card, I cut back the moisture barrier by slicing through the sealant which binds it to the door. It sticks back together afterwards.

I then removed the window and began replacing the wiring loom. Start at the door end.
This clip in the door is a real PITA! You need to prise up the orange centre before it can be withdrawn.

Then I began chasing the loom around unhooking and re-clipping as i went. Replaced the window motor as I went around with the cable. 60 minutes per door at the most.

All back together, 30 minutes of Tech2 programming and pinch protection/comfort open has been activated. Happy bunny :D

https://youtu.be/-At5rOZClIs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 pm 
UKS Addict

Well the CG clutch, new DMF and Sachs slave cylinder are fitted! The clutch has a bit of judder on take off but it is a 50/50 clutch - organic one side and kevlar 5 puck the other. The judder will fade a little as the clutch beds in.
The nice thing is that it's more direct than a stock clutch but not like a multi puck clutch with SMF in that it's not like a switch. It's a great halfway house to be fair.

With a rating of 576Nm I know it'll take the JZW stage 3+.
Whilst the gearbox was out the thernostate housing gasket was also replaced.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:45 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Haven't been in here for a while, hows the clutch Ant? any plans to get it back on the rolling road? if you don't mind me asking what did the clutch and flywheel end up costing?

Cars looking mint as always mate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:52 am 
UKS Addict

willo40 wrote:
Haven't been in here for a while, hows the clutch Ant? any plans to get it back on the rolling road? if you don't mind me asking what did the clutch and flywheel end up costing?

Cars looking mint as always mate.

Cheers Les. Yeah it's been a while! I've only put 30 mikes on the car since getting it back with the new clutch in on Tuesday. Mainly because the weather has been so bad and i don't take it out in the rain.

I'll get it rolling roaded again once the clutch is bedded in.

I bought the clutch and flywheel off another member here who had bought it for their 2.8 but changed their mind. So it cost me £500 in parts as opposed to about £700 if bought new.

It's only money :wink:.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:46 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Decent saving that mate, my clutch is still holding on for dear life, seems ok as long as i don't mash it in the higher gears, mind you most of the time i am scrabbling for grip in second anyway, bu sooner or later i am going to have to bite the bulllet, i will be interested to see what you think of the clutch and how it holds up after few miles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10