UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:22 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
I thought it might be worth starting a build diary for this one. Although she is a bog standard Linear ( I have nicknamed her Vanilla) she was bought from the adverts on this site for the grand sum of £350.

Why so cheap? Well, her previous owner AndrewC (of this parish) had some problems with her starting and stalling before Xmas 2015. He had sent her to a couple of garages local to him, to get the problem fixed, but to no avail.

The stalling had become quite bad and had returned fault codes P2147, P2150 and P0380 relating to injector low voltages and glow plug low voltages. Alas, despite replacement plugs and an ECU test the faults were still there. I don't believe Andrew would have got rid of her had the faults been fixed.

She is a 2006, Linear TiD Auto. Cloth seats, 15" alloys (they do look silly but are shod with decent Michelins so won't be going yet) in silver. She has a towbar as the only main addition and a Parrot bluetooth car kit. I have a large set of receipts to cover her 83,000 mile life and a fully stamped service book.

I think she has been looked after quite well generally and I wasn't going to make an offer, it would have been rude......

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 144.1 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]

I quickly called in to see her on Friday and then borrowed one of our school buses to tow a car transporter on Saturday. My towing exploits are listed in the Classic Cars section in the stories, so I decided to get something legal, rather than tow with my 9-5.

On collection, I swapped the battery for a good one and she started straight away and kept running. I think Andrew was a bit miffed as she usually stalled as soon as she started. I think the car was just showing me that the "intermittant" problems were going to be just that!

After having to climb Dukes of Hazzard style out of the window once the car was on the trailer, the journey home was uneventful. Only once I arrived home did I realise the trailer mudguards would distort enough to allow the door to open.

She was lined up in the back garden for a wash and brush up. I have also started her several times now and all is currently good. My father in law is set to have the car as he is running a 9-5 TiD that we bought almost exactly a year ago and replaced the turbo on. He is finding it a bit big and wants a towbar so Vanilla fits the bill.

I am running my battery on her and have swapped over the relays and fuses which control the inhectors and glow plugs. I am going to try a few different things as I believe there is a solution to the electrical faults which should be relatively simple. I just have to find it. I am suspicious that plugs and injectors are both showing low volts. It could still be ECU, or a duff battery?

I have cleared the current fault codes after noting them. I shall await their return......

So, jobs to do:

Clay car then Polish and wax
Vax the carpets and seats
Stronger wheel cleaner than the Simoniz rubbish I had lurking in the garage.
Re-wrap the wiring harness in top of the engine as the insulation had been removed to try and trace the fault. I might replace the common feed wires to the injectors from the ECU to ensure they haven't degraded internally. The faults relate to both sets of injectors so must be something to do with them.
Trace all engine earths, clean and refit.
Clean the EGR.
Refit the ECU, whch is in place, but not secure. Refit the radiator under-tray.
Check tracking.
Dye the plastic skirts and wing mirror mounts which have both turned grey. Autoglym Dye has been ordered.
Investigate replacement back bumper, two dents and cracked paint.
Investigate replacement drivers seat as there is some damage, or cheap leather interior?
Get floor mats from wifes 9-3. She can have the new set I ordered from Neos.

Attachments:
File comment: On trailer
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 104.55 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]
File comment: After wash
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 85.47 KiB | Viewed 1823 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:59 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2007 9-3ss aero Anniversary
if you are trying to get rid of stubborn stains on wheels also superb on bodywork, I use Iron X...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:43 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Thank you. I will have a look for Iron X. I haven't heard of it before.

Seems to have good reviews on Amazon so would be worth the £16 they want. Saves a wheel repaint, which could be up next.

Back to the fault codes. I have had her running tonight for about another 20 mins with no further stalling. I have wriggled the loom extensively and done some research on the fault codes. WIS tells me that two cables need replacement in the loom when the 2147 and 2150 appear together. I have a problem with my Tech 2 so I couldn't read the exact codes, only clear them. The sub-codes are the interesting bits here and determine the exact fault. I think it may be 02 which wants the cable between Pin1 of injector 1 and the ECU pin 16 renewing.

As discussed in many other forums and posts, the engine wiring on the Fiat engine is shocking (excuse the pun) for reliability and rubbing through. Some suggest that even when wires look okay and test okay, they can open up internally once warm and fail. I don't think this one is a heat issue as the problems occurred from cold for the previous owner.

My ECU looks a bit corroded, but not as bad as some. Stupid place for it between the wheel arch liner and bumper in front of the osf wheel.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:29 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Well it has been a while since the last post on here and news is mixed.

I have done over 1000 miles in the car with trips to Devon and Brighton from home in Dorset. On the longer runs she has behaved impeccably, but I have had two days when all hell broke lose! The first day was torrential rain and the stalling produced the codes listed above, as well as P0268 and others telling me that all the injectors were faulty. A peculiar issue is when the codes appear, the ecu will not communicate on the bus for a while so I cannot turn the EML off. I wonder if there is a bus short?

I initially put it down to rain, as I found the wheel arch liner had been modified by someone and was missing a 2" section right where the ecu wiring loom was. Having fixed that, we got codes P2147 again once. I have done the £12 injector 3 wiring loom mod as well, but that hasn't fixed the startup misfire, although she does idle beautifully.

I don't think the EGR had been cleaned as there were huge deposits of carbon and the inlet manifold hole was virtually blocked. She runs better, but I started to notice the stalling taking place when I let go of the throttle on the two bad days I had. I am looking hard for a pattern, it seems like something is drawing too much current from the ECU at times but I can't be sure.

Anyway, my Tech 2 is working perfectly now and I have started trying to analyse the injectors and the bus. Currently, injector 3 is displaying a slightly higher RPM than the others on Tech 2. Not sure what that means, but it seems to be between 7 and 10 rpm above the other three. I need to look at the flow rates, which can apparently tell me if an injector is faulty. Can't find that on the menu at present....

After that I shall start looking at the bus and ECU. Someone has already had the back off it, which doesn't bode well. Perhaps it does need a new ECU.

I just need the car to start playing up again, so I can do more investigation with the Tech 2. Frustratingly it is behaving itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 am 

Car Model: 9-3 Diesel
The ECU went to BBA Reman. Sorry (in a way) you're still hunting the fault... :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:34 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Hi Andrew, Don't be sorry. I am not going to let this one beat me! The car is too good otherwise to break or scrap. Father in law is driving it round now and loving having a towbar again to go to the tip!

I think BBA couldn't find the fault because it is so obscure. I have stripped out most of the engine bay wiring searching for splits or damage. None found.

In searching the internet my only lead is a chap in Scotland who replaced the ECU and cured it. The trouble is that it is an obscure part on this one (55561909) and the fleabay ones are a bit steep. I may be better to pay the £250 and get it rebuilt. Injector electrical faults can be a sign that the FET's that drive them are failing.

The hunt continues...... :park:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:05 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
The easiest thing to have done would have been to break the car so I'm glad to see you putting the legwork in to trace the gremlins.
Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:31 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

It has been a while since my last post on this one and over the summer months the car has run round with a plastic bag over the ECU and has been well behaved.

However, over the last week the stalling has come back. So it was time to do something more!

I am writing this to list the steps I took to help me next time, as much as hopefully helping someone else.

I put out a Parts Wanted request for an ECM ECU 55561909, which is a rare part number. Daz95 came up with one. The part arrived and was fitted this evening.

The procedure I followed was:
1. Disconnect battery and fit the ECU.
2. Reconnect battery and connect Tech2
3. Gain security access, I had to use GlobalTIS for this as my TIS2000 wouldn't deal with this car.
4. I went into the diagnostics as if I was finding DTCs and followed the menus to find the Add/Remove ECM options. No need to do SPS as apparently the CIM can hold two ECM codes.
5. Then I had to set the Body type, engine type, tyre size, gearbox and block heater options.
6. As I have a diesel, I needed to read off the injector serial numbers and then change them on the Tech2 screen. This was harder than it looked, as I struggled to read the numbers and letters easily.
7. I had to set service mileages, again Tech2 leads you through this.
8. Finally, I had to do a DPF regen on mine. This is currently causing an issue as my Tech2 seems to reboot itself when I start the engine. I need to find out what power source will stop this!

We went for a blast up the dual carriageway and she behaved perfectly. Considering the car stalled 3 times on the drive while I was trying to get it to a spot to use the trolley jack, this is a success.

I am going to hope I have found the problem and hopefully won't need to repost anything else!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:20 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I did just have to add that an MOT this morning resulted in a pass with no advisories. I can't complain about that on a ten year old car, can I?
Father in law is delighted that he has another year motoring for very little and gets to keep another Saab on the road.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:53 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

After 3 weeks with the new ECU, all is good. Something that I didn't do at the time was the DPF regen. Anyway, we had a bit of time today in between fixing the C900 so I did an oil change for my father-in-law, reset the service indicator (which too two attempts strangely) and ran a DPF regen.

If you haven't been in the presence of that happening, it is fairly unnerving. The car revs to 3500rpm slowly and holds there for about 10 minutes as the process runs. About 2 mins in, you start getting clouds of grey smoke out of the back of the car. Passing motorists did give us a good look! It is a bit like the old Redex in the carb routine.

The Tech2 then counts down and resets the ECU, telling it a regen was run. The engine speed slowly reduces back to idle, over the course of another minute. The drive and pavement behind the car was wet when we started and bone dry when finished, not surprising when the Tech2 was reporting temperatures of over 650 degrees C in the exhaust!

I sadly didn't get any pictures as I was making sure there wasn't anything flammable in the area.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Well after 18 months of good behaviour, I very quickly sold her.

An advert was placed in Gumtree and the old girl went in an afternoon. Although I didn't have a particular affection for her, I am still a bit sad to see her go. Everything was made ship-shape and a young lady rang me. In fact I had 5 people in one form or another asking for a viewing and two appeared at once. I never meant to make it a race and I know at the money I got, she can buy a few bits and bobs if anything drops off in the next few months. Not that I can see it happening.....

Does that mean I have space for another? No. The drive and garden contain 7 others and I have promised to make it 6 by the Summer.

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 131.76 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 1.9tiD Vector S Anniversry
Great read and we'll done for sticking at the problem.