UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:29 pm 
Active user

Car Model: '85 900 T16S
It’s been a busy couple of days for my mate and me fitting the outer repair sections.

Had a bit of trouble early on when the curve of the new arch was quite a bit smaller than the arch we’d just cut off:

Which meant that when fitted with one side lined up properly:

...the other side did this:

No huge matter because we did this:

Then some extra bits to go forward under the washer bottle:

And then the passenger side:
Cutting...

Fitted. As always I cut a bit too short and we’ll will have to add a slither.

Next up, the inner arches!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900T16s, Daihatsu Charade GTti
Damn that's good even with the gaps :) Looking forward to the next steps, you're like me, wait until the weather gets worse and then get to grips with it lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 pm 
Active user

Not had chance to do any more bodywork but last night I fitted a new water pump, thermostat, ECU temp sender and fan temp switch along with fresh red antifreeze. I'd already done the gauge temp sender and the radiator looks pretty new so that's all of the cooling system overhauled. The old pump was binding at certain points and it was weeping slightly because the mounting face hadn't been cleaned up properly last time. Hoping the temp sender helps the wonky running and the others are just for luck but it should all go towards better reliability once she's back on the road.

Quick question - what's the sensor type thing in the intake manifold between cylinder 3 and 4 with two barbs coming off it? They're not connected to anything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:35 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1990 900i 2 door
edtownend wrote:

Quick question - what's the sensor type thing in the intake manifold between cylinder 3 and 4 with two barbs coming off it? They're not connected to anything.

It sounds like the temperature sensor for the EGR actuation. I have one on my 1990 900i. Once up to temperature this allows vacuum through to open the EGR valve.
As far as I know, it was only fitted for a short time, and it is OK to leave it disconnected.

geoff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:22 pm 
Active user

Ah, that’ll be it, thanks Geoff. It definitely doesn’t have EGR so no problem there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm 
Active user

Well, I've forgotten to update this in ages. Though progress has been slow, it's not stopped. The front inner arches have been repaired, etch primered, seam sealered and schutzed. The outer arches are primed, filled and awaiting paint. I might leave them rattle canned for now and paint properly when it's a bit warmer. Pretty much completely forgot to take any photos while this has been going on. Here's the pathetic one I managed to take during.

She was struggling to start after being stood so I've fitted a new Varta D24 for good measure. I'm really pleased that the new temp sensors seem to have done the trick, she starts almost instantly and idles perfectly now.

Yesterday I rebuilt a spare driver's seat to repair the stitching, so I've got a lovely fresh full interior minus carpets ready to go in now. I'll save it 'till the outside is tidied so she feels like a new car.

During...

After:

The marks are just where I've leant on it before taking the photo, they've come out on their own.

Hoping to get the front back together so I can use her for a bit this weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm 
Active user

Oh, here's a little thing I've been getting up to - drew up the missing 16v badge for the bootlid. Not delighted with the print quality but it looks okay painted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:06 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 84 900 Turbo 5 door
Really enjoying the work.
I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.
The wing looks very impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 pm 
Active user

Thanks very much, it pales in insignificance to many of the projects on here but it’s testing me and my friends.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:51 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
edtownend wrote:
Thanks very much, it pales in insignificance to many of the projects on here but it’s testing me and my friends.

I think you underestimate what you do.

Were the badges 3-D printed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Nice work 8)

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 pm 
Active user

Thanks guys. Yeah the badges are 3D printed, I drew up the files going off photos then sent them to a 3D printing service. Keep looking for more bits to replicate!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:16 pm 
Active user

She's back! Spent Saturday with help putting her back together so I can use her for a bit until it gets warmer.

Started, naturally by taking the interior out. The carpets were sodden, looks like water has been getting in behind the pedals past where the cabin air intake thingy meets the bulkhead. Fixed the missing vacuum line for the heater controls and put the interior back minus the carpets for now until I'm happy the leak is fixed.

While this was going on, the insides of the wings were undersealed and all the stuff that fits inside the wings refitted. The APC box, washer bottle, horn etc.

More filler on the front wings, and a coat of filler primer. That'll keep it protected until it gets warmer when we can address the paintwork properly.

And home! Looking very scrappy but she made it no problems.

Took her to work a couple of days later and found that she's misfiring under boost. My current theory is that replacing the distributer cap and rotor has changed the timing slightly (the old one wasn't seated correctly) so the next job is to check that. I was told the vacuum capsule has had the modification to allow more retard under boost so I'll have to pressurise it and see what the timing is under boost. Suspect it's going beyond TDC at the moment from the huge flame I got from the exhaust :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
Good job, well done...

Focus B234
Focus ST336
7 Saabs
3 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 pm 
Active user

Progress! Had real trouble with a bad misfire on boost since getting her back on the road. The flames out the exhaust were great but on balance probably better without. What made things more confusing is that the timing marks have been machined off due to the flywheel being lightened. There were three lines of paint but no indication of which one was TDC. Eventually sussed it with the old screwdriver down the #1 plug hole trick. It was the yellow line!

She's running great now, though one potential issue I spotted is that pressurising the vac capsule to around 15psi only retards the timing three degrees, whereas I thought stock it should be more like six, so from 16 to 10 degrees. Currently it only goes back to 13, which I think might be causing the boost to be slightly erratic in how far it will go. File the stop down to allow more retard, or chuck a spare later distributor on which would mean swapping the plug?

In the middle of all this the bonnet cable snapped at the end that attaches to the pull, so for now that's been replaced with some mole grips.

While I was diagnosing the misfire I did a compression check, the results seem good enough so the head gasket swap can wait. I'll end up doing it eventually because I'd like to replace the timing chain and tensioners, plus I've got an uncracked exhaust manifold ready to fit. Of course that's not necessarily a head off job but I'll bet at least one of the studs will shear.

Cold compression
1 125
2 120
3 130
4 120

Hot compression
1 120
2 120
3 125
4 115

And now for a quick teaser, I got tyres fitted to these today and was going to chuck them on but the snow's stopped me.

Can't wait to get those on along with some paint and the aero panels back on. Thanks JamSaab!

And to round things off, a quick shot of her from this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:04 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 11 cars
It's coming along nicely.. slowly.. but nicely... :lol:

Focus B234
Focus ST336
7 Saabs
3 Others

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:21 pm 
Active user

New things!

Super incas! The centre caps don't fit for some reason. They're about 1mm too big for the hole.

Whaletail!

Still running great, though the next job is to replace the manifold-turbo gasket because it's blowing.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 pm 
Active user

Well, been using her regularly for the last few weeks, and all was going well. Fixed a few niggles along the way like the central locking on the boot and making a bushing to take the slack out of the clutch pedal.

Had a bit of a showstopper though, suddenly started getting a knock from the back so I investigated and found the shock has parted company with it's mount. Already got the repair panel ready to fit but I think I might take some more time to sort out all of the other bits I know need sorting like the boot floor, then I can do the paint.