UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to tell us about and show us your car.

Your Cars is the place for telling us about minor upgrades and mini projects.

Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: GM900
Eternal optimist wrote:
That flywheel and clutch cover - things of beauty. Fabulous build.

Thanks, it is beautiful but sadly the clutch doesn't fit inside the gearbox casing itself, which means at the minute I am going to have to buy a single plate kit which takes upto 455ftlbs which should be enough but a headache I could do without. I'm hoping the input shaft reaches as its been cut down a bit.

The problem I have.

The original clutch finishes by the fingers and the thrust bearing sits against them, but the tilton one has raised black outer casing and the studs, these are actually pressing into the arm and the back of the box so I cant get the gearbox on and the thrust bearing is about 20mm away from the fingers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:15 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saabless, for now
That is a pita :(

Shame a clutch that looks so nice should be hidden away really.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero + 93RWD trackcar
There is a 6mm g.box spacer plate available which should give the clearance need for the box. Then it just needs a spacer behind the release bearing.

Project 9-3GT 484Bhp & 483lb ft / 654Nm
trackcar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:09 pm 
Saab Nut

Minor update, slow progress sadly.

After a fair bit of measuring I think I might just squeeze a single plate clutch in, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I've measured from engine face to flywheel face and that measures 25mm. The lip is about 2.5mm, which is where the clutch will sit as it is a step clutch, so 22.5mm
The inside of the box to the mating face measures between 60mm - 63mm. This leaves me with a maximum clutch height of 40.5mm

A sintered single plate clutch overall is 39.4mm, a cerametallic is 41.1mm. (this is going off tiltons measurements)

Cerametallic Clutch
https://www.competitionsupplies.com/1/1 ... ll_dwg.pdf

Sintered Clutch
https://www.competitionsupplies.com/1/1 ... i-7.25.pdf

I've read that sintered race clutch are an absolute pig as it is on or off, how true I don't know, and the cerametallic is better for a bit of road use along with track. I will have to nip off the excess threads which hold the fingers in place on the back but it should JUST fit.

Also, while the engine the steering rack boot needed replacing so that's one job off the list. Going to poly the other side of the rack too.
New
Old

Also ordered a few bits like an oil return pipe for the turbo and some gearbox oil.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm 
Saab Nut

Minor update, finally got a single plate clutch. With any luck now I can start bolting everything together and get it back on it's wheels, feels like ages since I've touched it.

It's a double grey, ultra high ratio (455lbft). Guy said it would be a pig to press clutch and nightmare for road use. Looking forward to it !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:22 pm 
Saab Nut

Annnnd the thrust bearing doesnt reach the pressure plate so its gettin the standard flywheel and viggen/aero clutch.

Going to speak to competition supplies see if theres anything that can be done. There is a hydraulic thrust bearing but the box is a cable shift. The thrust bearing is around 1"-2" too short at full throw.

For future reference dont try go for a 7.25" as it doesn't fit, even a single plate is bang on depth of box. Expensive mistake, twice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:21 pm 
Saab Nut

Usually enjoy tinkering but today was tedious. Went to lockup last night and split my 93 LPT box and pinched the flywheel and clutch. So back to a Viggen/Aero clutch and standard flywheel until I decide what to do. No fun in the rain trying to mate a gearbox and engine alone when both moving different directions!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm 
Saab Nut

Not had any time of late to work on the car as work has been crazy, it ain't the weather either and Christmas is due.

Engine and box and all mounted and loom back into the cabin. Dropped the sump, was bit burnt so cleaned up, resealed and refitted. The injectors are fitted, they were same size as the reds that came out so I can only guess I don't need spacers?
ECU going away for a base map to get it running and I'm going to use the T5 valve over the T7 valve. All the suspension is together now too.

Still got things like braided water and oil lines to make, fit fuel pump, few earths and intercooler pipework to be redone but going in the right direction

And thanks to a kind chap on here for a wiring diagram to trace a loose wire I have.

Anyone come across split poly like below?