UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

A place for you to create build diaries of the basket cases at the bottom of the garden/driveway.

No fix it part type threads please just cars, build diaries etc.

If you would like old threads from other parts of the forum moved here, feel free to PM a member of the team to get it moved for you.

Post subject: Re: V4 Custardwagon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:50 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 900i '87 96V4 '72 E30 Alvis
What's the name of your project thread Al? The words may be enlightening even if the pics aren't
There was also one of these in the box melle
Attachment:
SDC13100.jpg
SDC13100.jpg [ 111.04 KiB | Viewed 233 times ]

Or do you mean a full manifold?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 8V-V4
You could very well use the adaptor, even if only to ascertain the carb's condition. I have a proper manifold indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:39 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
This one...it's been going so long and so sporadically that it pre-dates the projects section...

https://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic ... &start=160

96V4s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 pm 
Active user

Thanks for digging that out Al. I think performance mods need to wait until the original planned jobs have all been done, but it's great to know the info is there
Over the last couple of days I've managed to strip most of the front driver's side suspension. Now have a problem getting the lower wishbone brackets off. The two inboard (closest to the centre-line of the car) nuts come off easy enough, but the two outboard nuts are so close to the inner wing I can't get a socket on. Any suggestions gratefully accepted - PLEASE

Drive shaft and hub removed. Freezer bag over the joint to prevent grease getting everywhere (and grit from getting in). CV joint gaitor looks like it wouldn't need much persuasion to split
Attachment:
SDC13103.jpg
SDC13103.jpg [ 266.34 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]

Upper wishbone cleaned up and given two coats of smooth hammerite
Attachment:
SDC13102.jpg
SDC13102.jpg [ 232.05 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]

Then brake caliper split, cleaned up and the frame parts given two coats of brake caliper paint
Attachment:
SDC13104.jpg
SDC13104.jpg [ 195.92 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]

Haven't painted the cylinder yet as I forgot to force the piston out before disconnecting the hydraulics, and don't want to scratch the paint while doing that. Will I be able to get that out with the air line? Again any suggestions gratefully accepted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 pm 
Active user

Thanks for digging that out Al. I think performance mods need to wait until the original planned jobs have all been done, but it's great to know the info is there
Over the last couple of days I've managed to strip most of the front driver's side suspension. Now have a problem getting the lower wishbone brackets off. The two inboard (closest to the centre-line of the car) nuts come off easy enough, but the two outboard nuts are so close to the inner wing I can't get a socket on. Any suggestions gratefully accepted - PLEASE

Drive shaft and hub removed. Freezer bag over the joint to prevent grease getting everywhere (and grit from getting in). CV joint gaitor looks like it wouldn't need much persuasion to split
Attachment:
SDC13103.jpg

Upper wishbone cleaned up and given two coats of smooth hammerite
Attachment:
SDC13102.jpg

Then brake caliper split, cleaned up and the frame parts given two coats of brake caliper paint
Attachment:
SDC13104.jpg

Haven't painted the cylinder yet as I forgot to force the piston out before disconnecting the hydraulics, and don't want to scratch the paint while doing that. Will I be able to get that out with the air line? Again any suggestions gratefully accepted

EDIT - Do the moderators know why some posts get duplicated when I only press submit once?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:48 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

greg124 wrote:
I think performance mods need to wait until the original planned jobs have all been done
If only more people had that approach we certainly would see less projects getting abandoned.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm 
Active user

I think some people just get overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task, melle.

Since last week I've been mainly stripping more underseal, and dressing some of the old welding repairs with the angle grinder
Fancied a quieter task today though, as my ears were ringing for ages after 2 1/2 hours with the grinder yesterday - give the neighbours a rest too
Splashed the 'metal ready' about under some of the NSF inner wing, then applied tetrosyl seam sealer with a brush. I haven't used braushable before, but on a previous project the stuff in a gun kept blocking the nozzle if left for a couple of weeks.
Attachment:
SDC13106.jpg
SDC13106.jpg [ 121.84 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

Then borrowed BIRDIEMANGO's recipe for Y9 yellow hammerite from his V3 project - thanks Jules. First attempt was still a bit orange, so adding a bit more white resulted in this
Attachment:
SDC13105.jpg
SDC13105.jpg [ 95.09 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

As it's going under the wings (followed by a load of schutz) and on the floor (mostly hidden by carpets), I'm happy this is a close enough match
Attachment:
SDC13107.jpg
SDC13107.jpg [ 80.71 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

This is just the first coat. Thought I'd do a fairly small area to start with, just in case there are any adverse chemical reactions between the different products

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

The yellow looks good a good match!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:26 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 10 cars
Yeah looking good...

Focus B234
Focus ST 336hp
5 Saabs
3 French

Omega B234
RX8 B204

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 pm 
Active user

Cheers guys
I'm pleased with the home blend yellow and now applied some under the other front wheelarch. Need to make up another batch to do the floor inside
Got the lower wishbone off now - without having to remove the brake master cylinder. Had a bit of a wrestle to get the brackets past the exhaust, as it is quite close to the bodywork. Removed the brackets, cleaned up the wishbone and applied etch
Then forced the caliper piston out with the air line. Good job too as one of the seals was in a pretty poor state

Edit ...and bought some sheet steel today. I can feel a bit of fabrication coming on