UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 93 Vector Sport 2.2 Tid
steve95 wrote:
Dave1980 wrote:
why do they get so coked up?

The clue is in the name mate - egr - exhaust gas recirculation.
For the sake of emissions, on modern diesels, a good portion of the black sooty smoke that used to be chucked out the end of the exhaust is now instead pumped back into the intake manifold to be recombusted.
It seems to me to be the mechanical equivalent of plumbing your toilet waste pipe into your fresh water supply to save the poor sewers from having to carry it away...

Good analogy :mrgreen:, will be interesting to see how much poo is there when i clean it at the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:16 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 93 2.2 tid 02
Dave1980 wrote:
steve95 wrote:
Dave1980 wrote:
why do they get so coked up?

The clue is in the name mate - egr - exhaust gas recirculation.
For the sake of emissions, on modern diesels, a good portion of the black sooty smoke that used to be chucked out the end of the exhaust is now instead pumped back into the intake manifold to be recombusted.
It seems to me to be the mechanical equivalent of plumbing your toilet waste pipe into your fresh water supply to save the poor sewers from having to carry it away...

Good analogy :mrgreen:, will be interesting to see how much poo is there when i clean it at the weekend.

There will be lots!!!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:40 pm 

Car Model: 2.2 tid
If you ever experience non-starting or erratic running/low power after messing around with the EGR, suspect an air leak. The smallest of air leaks (probably caused by you..) can cause all the symptoms described in this forum.

And if anybody owns a 3 litre V6 diesel .. check the damper on the tensioner on the alternator/power steering belt. Check that (a) the bolts aren't coming loose and (b) the rubber bush at each end hasn't began to disintegrate. If those rubber bushed perish, the bolts then knock against a metal sleeve and wear, then come undone and fall out .. and the belt simply falls off the pulley.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:23 am 

Car Model: Saab 9-3 2.2TiD
Hi,
I own a '99 Saab 9-3 2.2 TiD with a 115bhp engine. I recently faced an issue, where Check Engine shows up after car engine warms up, and it goes into some kind of limp mode with turbo shut down and it loses power. Also idle rpm are irregular during this state. When car cools down light goes off and everything runs perfect. Car has no problem with starting, except it needs more cranking (2-3 seconds) when engine is warm. Had the car checked at a local dealer and it showed two errors, one related to sensor within fuel pump and the other was idle rpm sensor. Could this be related to fuel pump or could it be a result of sludge in EGR - Swirl Flaps?

Any help is highly appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:46 am 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 2.2Tid Vector Saloon Auto
glenn1 wrote:
The smallest of air leaks (probably caused by you..) can cause all the symptoms described in this forum.

That's interesting, as I had put a small 'squirt pipe' into the inlet manifold/hose to aid a quick injection of a small amount of easystart (just for the times it wouldn't fire). It was sealed around it and only gave a small amount of 'blow-back' but I guess that will suck in a small amount of air too (which I figured was insignificant). Can't see where an airleak would be introduced when cleaning the EGR, except on the seal of EGR to inlet manifold - I used some copper grease there - maybe even that is a bit grainy. Perhaps wipe clean and stick with metal-to-gasket seal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:57 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Alfa Quality & in Business
arianits wrote:
Hi,
I own a '99 Saab 9-3 2.2 TiD with a 115bhp engine. I recently faced an issue, where Check Engine shows up after car engine warms up, and it goes into some kind of limp mode with turbo shut down and it loses power. Also idle rpm are irregular during this state. When car cools down light goes off and everything runs perfect. Car has no problem with starting, except it needs more cranking (2-3 seconds) when engine is warm. Had the car checked at a local dealer and it showed two errors, one related to sensor within fuel pump and the other was idle rpm sensor. Could this be related to fuel pump or could it be a result of sludge in EGR - Swirl Flaps?

Any help is highly appreciated

You forgot the most important, your error codes

P1631 - injection pump
- ECU fault
P0725 - engine speed input circuit malfunction
P1335 - injection pump
- rpm information

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:31 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2003. 9-5 2.2TiD Estate,Vector
Nope. Didn't worked for me.
Disconnected coolant hoses and the top one just fell off from EGR as you can see on the pic.

And to be honest, happy that it happened, because the best fix is fitting the new one.

Absolutely different car and different mpg :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:21 pm 

Car Model: 9-3
Hi guys. Brilliant thread. I've recently acquired a 2002 9-3. It was my dads before and I cleaned the egr for him in July and it worked fine. He gave me the car a few weeks ago and it went again, easy I thought.... However since I've cleaned it again, the engine management light keeps coming back on. Really doing my head in. Where is the map sensor? Think I'll give that a go next. And what position should the cam on the egr be left in. I tried changing that to see if is made a mistake and it completely cancelled out my throttle for some reason. So I've returned it to where I think it should be. The other thing is, how does the valve return itself to the closed position? The valve itself isn't linked to the cam so while the cam springs back on its own, how does te valve return? Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:35 pm 

Car Model: Saab 93 2.2 tid
Hi, I'm new here. Happy to see that there are actually a lot of people with a Saab ^^

My father just bought an Saab 9-3 2.2 tid from 2003.
I'm from Portugal so the engine is from an Opel Zafira, which apparently isn't a very good engine.
2 Days before i went to see the car, it had a problem. As my father was driving, suddenly black smoke came out of the car.

He thinks the problem is in the turbo because as this happened, the car didn't have the boost it should have.
But i prefer to see with you guys, where the problem is. Could the problem be in the EGR?

Thanks ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Estate 1.9TiD
Probably a split intercooler pipe or a hole in the intercooler itself

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:30 pm 

Hi all,
I posted to this forum this morning but it has not appeared. Maybe my post has to be approved or maybe I pressed the wrong button. I'm gonna repost.
I'm a first timer here. The only time I've ever opened the bonnet of the car was to fill the washer fliud or to jump start the car. I've a 9-3 2.2 tdi and the car was loosing revs beyond 2k revs. Took it to the garage and was told that the EGR and the turbo switch was gone. Rather than fork out I decided to do some searching online and found this forum. I decided to take the plunge and try to clean the EGR valve myself. It was suprisingly easy. Had the job done in about an hour. The car is still limping when I rev the thing up. My problem now is I dont know if the EGR valve is kaput or if the turbo switch is the problem. I dont want to buy a new EGR to find that the EGR is ok and the turbo switch is broken. Any advice anyone? Is a turbo switch easy to fix? Is it expensive?
Thanks all again for the great advice. As a novice mechanic I really enjoyed the hour getting myself covered in grease. I'm determined to try to fix this thing myself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:03 pm 

Hi all,
Further to my last post regarding if the EGR valve was working or not. I'm such an idiot. To answer my own question, I used my own eyes. Got someone to rev the car for me while I watched the EGR valve working!! I'm dellighted to get it working but it hasn't improved the performance. Sure, its starting better but the turbo is not kicking in. I know know that the turbo is busted. However, thanks to everyone here I saved myself the guts of Eur300 buying a new EGR to find that out. All I need to do now is to figure out how to fix the turbo!!!!!
The tip on the copper grease was excellent.
Thanks again all. Its a very steep learning curve.
Regs,
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 pm 

Car Model: 05 9-3 TiD Vector Sport Saloon
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information in this thread.... I removed and cleaned the egr valve on my 260k 9-5 2.3TiD today, it was mingin'looked as if it had NEVER been cleaned or replaced before! After refitting the car was unusually difficult to start but did eventually and has been off the button as normal.

However, the EML light has stayed on and the car is stuck in limp home mode. I have an OBD II interface (loaned to me by a pal) but can't get it to communicate with the car. Can anyone recommend software or an app that would work VIA a LAPTOP usb port that can reset the EML please? I also have a Galaxy Note 10.1 android tablet with a usb adaptor that may interface with the OBD device that I can also use to interrogate / reset the EML with (hopefully)

Thanks

John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:10 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: Most of them!
JohnnyV-Strom wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information in this thread.... I removed and cleaned the egr valve on my 260k 9-5 2.3TiD today, it was mingin'looked as if it had NEVER been cleaned or replaced before! After refitting the car was unusually difficult to start but did eventually and has been off the button as normal.

However, the EML light has stayed on and the car is stuck in limp home mode. I have an OBD II interface (loaned to me by a pal) but can't get it to communicate with the car. Can anyone recommend software or an app that would work VIA a LAPTOP usb port that can reset the EML please? I also have a Galaxy Note 10.1 android tablet with a usb adaptor that may interface with the OBD device that I can also use to interrogate / reset the EML with (hopefully)

Thanks

John

Try a post in the workshop, sure someone will know...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Car Model: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
Use Torque for Android. You can get a bluetooth adaptor for under a fiver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:07 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Estate 1.9TiD
Bluetooth elm327 adapter from ebay, pair with tablet, install torque android app

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:14 pm 

Car Model: 9-5 2.2 TID ARC
Took EGR valve off today as EML light on and in Limp Home mode.

It was filthy tbh so much soot. Given it a clean and left in paraffin for a while. Will be giving it a proper clean in the morning.

Can someone tell me where I need to apply the copper slip grease please?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:41 am 

Please assist!! I have an 08 93.When you take the revs over 2500/3000rpm, it billows WHITE smoke. Can you please tell me what this, why it happens, and more importantly, how to fix. The car is the wife's, and she is giving birth in 5 weeks and it needs to be fixed ASAP, as cheaply as possible too!! Many Thanks for contributions.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:34 am 

Hi folks,

My question is 2 fold.......

1. Car has developed an intermittent fault as follows.

Car runs fine and is smooth. When i come off the throttle (say to take a motorway slip road) the engine management light will come on. coupled with this occasionally, the car goes into limp home mode

What do you fine folk think could be wrong ....... MAF?

2. I already have an OMBDII plug for my Audi. Can this plug be used on SAAB and what free software if available to download in order for me to run a fault diagnosis and clear any faults

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:04 am 

Car Model: Saab 9-5
Hi new to the forum,had the same problem with my EGR i took it out and cleaned it and added in a restrictor plate which doesn't blank off the hole,the difference is incredible.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121342569454? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next