UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Considering a 9000 2.3t
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:47 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 CSE Anniversary.
Hi all, I saw a great condition 9000 the other day and it reminded me of my fondness for them so I jumped online and had a look at ones for sale, there aren't many out there! I don't know if its the time of year or there really aren't many left?
Anyway, I've never owned a Saab but always had a hankering for one and I need a better long distance cruiser, as much as I quite like my current car it is very low geared and is a cabrio so not exactly quiet on the motorways.
That aside I have a few questions,
The car I'm looking at is cheap, £300 cheap so I'm already a bit suspicious as to why although its also incentive to buy because even if something is wrong I'll have a bit of change left to fix it unless its something catastrophic... It has 150k miles on it and is a '97.

Questions are,
What am I looking for? I've read about timing chains being replaced which is expensive? What are the intervals on these, when should they have been done?
Its a manual and at that millage I'm concerned about the clutch, which is also a pain to replace I believe? How long does a clutch typically last?

Are parts available still, since these are pre GM cars how hard is it to get a part when you need it?

What are they like to work on yourself, I service my own cars but I won't tackle big jobs myself.

The seller says the A/C compressor needs replacing, apparently this basically means the whole system will probably need replacing due to poor maintenance, will this interfere much with the climate control or will it just mean I won't get A/C but heat and regular outside air will still come through the vents? For the price I'm not bothered about dud A/C as long as it isn't affecting anything else.

Any other general advice before I potentially go look at the car?

Thanks, Dom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; VW T5 TDI
Dom,

I read this before getting my 9000.

http://www.serioussaab.co.uk/guide_pages/9kguide.html

It is a little old but quite handy. As for the A/C, it is not a massive problem for the climate control. I did my own servicing and a few other small jobs, pretty easy really. I miss mine quite badly. I love my 9-3ss but if I could have two cars a 9k would be on the drive now. One day!

I'm sure others will be along with the common issues. My biggest issue was blowing the turbo, twice. Not a big problem though. Some people report worn timing chain sprockets I think? Otherwise, as with any older car, look for a cosmetically sound car with little rust (structural or otherwise) as that is the really expensive stuff to put right. Mechanicals are comparatively cheap.

Rob

Sent from my Windows Phone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:32 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero......GM900i
Look carefully at the windscreen surround for rust. Any you can see you can guarantee there will be five times that under the rubber and plastic.
Good sign is original Sekurit glass. Bad sign is Pilkington.

05 Smart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:32 pm 
Active user

Thanks for the responses, I will look at the guide you linked thanks.
I'll have a good look around the windscreen, any rust there is an avoid then?
Any thoughts on the timing chain and clutch at this millage?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:05 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; VW T5 TDI
My timing chain was ok at 185k ish and I think is still ok now at towards 200k (next owner posted on here a while ago and didn't mention it). My clutch was done at around 175k - 180k I think, possibly the second one at that mileage!

As mossy says, look out for windscreen surround rust as it can be an involving job. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Sent from my Windows Phone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:18 pm 
UKS Addict

Hi Dom,

They are brilliant cars and can be mega cheap for what you get too.

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

Firstly price. If it's not a fancy one (Aero, late anni) you can still find nice ones for around £300 and there be nothing to worry about.
Yes, they have timing chains. They're strong and unless noisy I would not worry about them.
Clutch, not a massively expensive job. Can't tell you how long it'll last or how it'll be but I can tell you I had mine done when the car was on about 120k miles (60 ago) and I think it was the original. Also, I've run 300bhp through mine for most of those miles and it still seems healthy.
Parts. Pretty much everything is very easy. There may be small trim pieces etc that aren't readily available - but that's what UKSaabs is for!
AC, don't worry about that. The climate control will still work to an acceptable level.

Finally, you mention motorway miles. They are great on the motorway. But if that is your main reason for getting one see if you can find an Aero or a late registered 2.3 Anniversary with the longer gearbox.
I have that in mine and it makes motorway trips. Gives you about 80mph for 2500 revs.
Over the Christmas week I will do two 800+ mile trips in mine both being done in one sitting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:44 pm 
Active user

It is indeed an Anniversary, I didn't know these were specifically a desirable model, do they have more equipment? Are these more likely to have the traction control that I've been told to avoid?
But thanks for all the advice which has put my mind at ease, if I test drive it and the clutch feels ok then hopefully so long as it lasts until summer I wouldn't mind getting it replaced. Hopefully I can get a look at it after Christmas if the seller actually responds....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: Most of them!
Welcome to UKSaabs! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:00 am 
UKS Addict

If it's 97, a 2.3 and an anniversary then there's a very good chance it'll have the td04 turbo and the longer gearbox. These are both very good things; it'll basically be an Aero without the wingback seats, suspension or wheels but the good mechanicals.

Also, I'd say that's damn cheap if it is all of those things. If it's black, blue or amethyst then you're really doing well!

Oh, and this year won't have traction control to worry about too :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 am 
Active user

MrMoonyMan wrote:
If it's 97, a 2.3 and an anniversary then there's a very good chance it'll have the td04 turbo and the longer gearbox. These are both very good things; it'll basically be an Aero without the wingback seats, suspension or wheels but the good mechanicals.

Also, I'd say that's damn cheap if it is all of those things. If it's black, blue or amethyst then you're really doing well!

Oh, and this year won't have traction control to worry about too :)

It's a 97, 2.3t Anniversary in a dark blue so hopefully its a good shout for the money, glad they don't have the troublesome traction control. What's the advantage of the TD04, I assume non anniversary cars use a different turbo? The seller has replied, has been owned by him from 8 months old, the previous owner being Saab themselves, it has full service history with all receipts for parts so hopefully I'll arrange for a viewing after Christmas and if it doesn't make any strange noises and the clutch is good I'll probably be looking at my next car :D

It'll require new front tyres and front discs/pads which is why I think its being flogged on the cheap, that and the dead A/C. Pair of front tyres I'm guessing around £140 and new discs and pads will end up costing me about £150, I should be able to fit them myself if they aren't anymore complicated than your standard slew of cars. So should all end up under the £500 mark 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:02 am 
UKS Addict

That ownership and spec all sounds very very promising then! Lucky you.. (Hopefully!)

The TD04 turbo is the one to have. It's a very strong, reliable turbo. On that engine if you have a td04 and fit a 3" downpipe you will see nearly 300hp very easily if you wanted to.

If it needs tyres you could start keeping an eye out for the 16" wheels that came as standard on the Aero to swap over to at the same time.

As for 'lasting you for summer' - mine was bought on a whim 8 years ago....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:53 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9000 2.0t , 95 Estate
If he says the AC compressor needs replacing it may very well be whining so the bearings may be shot.

Replacing isn't a big issue but in the meantime you can also just fit a shorter aux belt that cuts out the compressor. Removes the AC but you obviously get a tiny bit more power...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:42 pm 
Active user

The seller has been very honest and told me why the pirce is as low as it is, he already mentioned that the front tyres need replacing due to tread but he also has informed me that they both have slow punctures and that a garage informed that the alloys have deteriorated and need a refurb to stop this happening.... Sound expensive? Has some minor niggles with central locking being on the blink and the numberplate lighting has some sort of earth fault because it doesn't always light. I'm fairly handy with electronics so hopefully I'll be able to fix those myself, I've had my fair share of italian cars with dodgy wiring. Bit of rust on one of the front wings, heard this is common, is it something that requires urgent attention or could I get away with rubbing it back and putting some under-seal on it, cosmetically not great but will do the job.... Not really worried other than the alloys, a refurb on those sounds expensive just because the tyres aren't holding air...
As for A/C I won't worry about replacing it until summer if I even bother to, I assume when the ACC is set to econ the compressor gets disconnected by some sort of clutch?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:51 pm 
UKS Addict

Seller already sounds like a good 'un then.

If the standard anniversary wheels are leaking and need a returb then I would certainly put a different set on. Be it 16" aero ones or some anni ones. Anni ones can be picked up secondhand for not very much as they're not all that popular.

Central locking will very likely be an easy fix. Under the steering coloumn (above the pedals) will be fag packet sized black plastic box. It is likely that the solder in there is starting to fail. Very easy to swap out and a decent second hand one (or fix this if you solder) should sort it.

The wing.. Depends on how bad it is. But yes, they all go there eventually.

Yes, the a/c has a clutch that will only work if the system has pressure. As has been said you can run a shorter belt anyhow.
A/c didn't work on mine when I got it. I re-gassed and it was good for a year but that was a while ago now. I've not been too fussed about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:14 pm 
Active user

I can solder so I should be able to sort central locking for free hopefully! Thanks for the tip.
Having a quick look on ebay I think the car may already have Aero alloys on it, they're 3 spoke and kind of look deep-dish style, when the spokes are pretty far back offset into the wheel? Can get a set of regular 15's for about £100 on ebay which is a bit annoying for some wheels I don't really want but I'm not willing to spend £600-700 on anything else!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:30 pm 
UKS Addict

This just gets better.. If they're dished and 3 spoke they're likely to be worth half the asking price on a bad day. They may be worth refurbing if they're the 16" 3 spokes I think you're describing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:44 pm 
Active user

MrMoonyMan wrote:
This just gets better.. If they're dished and 3 spoke they're likely to be worth half the asking price on a bad day. They may be worth refurbing if they're the 16" 3 spokes I think you're describing.

When I put the plate into a tyre website (I was checking prices earlier as I know it'll need two new ones) it came back as having 16" wheels, I've seen the 'regular' 3 spoke wheels on ebay and it isn't the same as those so I'm assuming it has Aero wheels :mrgreen:
I guess I'll have to get them refurbished, no idea where you'd go for that, just need the edges/bead cleaning up etc hopefully so the tyre doesn't leak.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5s, five of 'em
There are some Saab Wheel websites (that I don't have to hand) that are very good for checking what you have. Or post a photo and the collective will let you know.

You could always buy a set of unfashionable till the refurb is done.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:01 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, 9-5 DE & Fiat 500
Welcome to UKS :D

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:47 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 190k 2.2 Tdi minter
DeeDub8 wrote:
There are some Saab Wheel websites (that I don't have to hand) that are very good for checking what you have. Or post a photo and the collective will let you know.

You could always buy a set of unfashionable till the refurb is done.

Link to a couple of sites

Saab wheels

more Saab wheels

gadget