UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hi from Horsham
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 pm 

Car Model: 9-3 HOT Aero convertible
Hi guys,
I’m off to,look at 2x 1999/2000 9-3 Hot Aero convertables tomorrow both fairly high milers but with good service history. Any particular areas to look out for besides the usual not working :wink:
Thanks, Ross.
Also, one of the cars has a ‘cassette player’........ I think all of mine are stretched now!
Anyone got an original CD player they fancy sending me before I get too involved in upgrades.
And how can radio codes be found if the old unit doesn’t configure?

Post subject: Re: Hi from Horsham
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:20 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
Hello and welcome :D

I will say pass on the specific questions, you may have more luck asking about the stereo in the ice sub forum.

I believe the bulkhead issue was still prevalent on the gm 9-3, turning the steering wheel to full lock whilst feeling the brake pedal can give an indication if it is cracking. If there are cracks, the pedal may move.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:18 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Welcome to UKS :D

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

A used CD player needs to be "divorced" from its donor vehicle using TECHII or it won't work in your car.

If not divorced, then at the very least you need the chassis number of the donor vehicle and someone with TECHII to do a bit of jiggery pokery with the chassis numbers to "marry" it to your car.

Rust around jacking points (not easy to see due to the skirts) and around the rear arches - external bubbling will be obvious but also look at the inner arch roughly where it joins the sill.

Look behind and below the brake servo for signs of bulkhead issues and worth checking the chassis leg below that area too.

My late '02 'vert has no bulkhead issues at approx 90k miles and it has been rumoured that the later cars had some extra strengthening or more welds but I'm not sure anyone ever produced any evidence to prove that, so it could well be nothing more than an internet rumour!

Either way, bulkhead issues are mainly going to be fatigue induced, so higher mile cars are more likely to suffer but arguably if they have been looked after, they are also more likely to have had a fix applied by now...

Check for damp and mould inside, if the roof is in good order it should be very weatherproof.

Performance should feel strong even if standard. They aren't especially heavy so should go well pretty well (obviously depends a bit on your perspective, if you turn up on a sports bike then they aren't going to feel quick!) Oh, and hold the wheel tightly when you put your foot down or be prepared for an unexpected lane change...

Finally if you test drive, don't worry too much if it feels like the rear of the car is only attached to the front by a piece of week old lettuce. They all do that, sir!

77 Chev C10
78 99T
01 9-5 Aero
02 9-3 Aero
03 Octavia VRS
04 Monaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:52 pm 

Hi and thanks for the welcome and useful information. It helped find a few of the issues on the car that I didn’t buy. The one I went for was local and in very good condition. Unlike the car from Banbury Motors, which looks lovely, but has a whole host of issues!
First registered June 2000, 1 owner from new, has done just over 100,000 miles, full dealer service history with all issues dealt with upon inspection/discovery, all receipts/MOT’S from new until this year, dealership brochures and even old tax discs!

I would show you a picture, but I give up!
It won’t load even a compressed pic of the car under 1Mb :loco:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
There's a certain maximum physical size of pixels high and wide an attached photo can be (580-odd by 768 if memory serves) as well as a digital size which is 1mb.

You can of course host pics of any size elsewhere and link them into the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25623

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 am 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E2xaFfHLfbuHNZiJ7
Maybe this will work?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
Note that the engines changed for 2000MY (ie from August 1999), although there may be some overlap in registrations. The earlier B204 engine is stronger and did not suffer from sludge problems, it should have a red DI unit. The later B205 engine (black DI) did suffer from the sludge problems due to the breather system deteriorating. By now, if the car is still running, it is likely that it has had a sump drop and the later (PCV6) breather system but it is worth checking and making allowance for if it needs to be done.

OG 9-3's have rather old fashioned (read soggy) handling but I love driving it. Good luck.

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 am 

TWSaab wrote:
Note that the engines changed for 2000MY (ie from August 1999), although there may be some overlap in registrations. The earlier B204 engine is stronger and did not suffer from sludge problems, it should have a red DI unit. The later B205 engine (black DI) did suffer from the sludge problems due to the breather system deteriorating. By now, if the car is still running, it is likely that it has had a sump drop and the later (PCV6) breather system but it is worth checking and making allowance for if it needs to be done.

OG 9-3's have rather old fashioned (read soggy) handling but I love driving it. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, very useful :D
By ‘Di’ unit I assume that you mean the cover on top of the cam cover?
Which mine is black.
Any links to a thread/‘how to’ re replacing the breather system? Parts required? Cost?
It has had a dealer history from new with an engine flush every time/service, so hopefullyit is in fair fettle......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
Pondman wrote:

By ‘Di’ unit I assume that you mean the cover on top of the cam cover?
Which mine is black.

That is what he means. It is an electrical unit that is all 4 coil packs together. It replaces HT leads etc and detects knock too.

They can fail suddenly, you are best to source a good used spare to carry in the boot. They should be stored the correct way up and normally just about fit wedged next to the spare.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5