UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:45 pm 

Car Models: Saab 900 Turbo S Convertible
Hey all,

I am not mechanically clued up but am in the process of tuning up my 1993 900 Turbo S T16 Convertible. I only recently got the car from a garage in June this year who offered a 3 month warranty. I took it to Abbot Racing back in September and the following was done:

- 3.3 Bar Fuel Reg
- New Abbot exhaust system and cat (sounds fantastic)
- Atmospheric dump valve (hehe)
- ITG air filter
- Set of front grooved motorsport discs and sport pads

They did some testing and advised the boost was set up perfectly and the car was running as well as as it could. These little changes alone have made the car a lot quicker and more responsive.

However 2 days after taking my car to Abbot, I was coming up a slip road and my 4th gear basically exploded. It was destroyed and I managed to drive the car back to the garage who very kindly rebuilt my gearbox under warranty! To be honest its likely the box had never been rebuilt in it's entire life and the car was converted from Auto to Manual back in 2001 so god knows how many miles its been through. They put some stronger components in for me and I checked the number on the box myself and it is a later 1993 box which are supposed to be stronger than earlier boxes too, so hopefully it will last me a while. That is until I start putting stupid power through it maybe. But with careful gear changes it should be OK.

Anyway I want to start getting some more power out the car by doing the following:

1) Upgraded chargecooler - Initially I had been looking at the Abbot charge coolers but after some research it quickly seems apparent a lot of people have had issues with them and for the same or even less money you can get much more effective charge cooling systems. https://fixmysaab.com/jeff/intercooler/intro.asp I have been looking at PWR systems and hoping to find someone who can fit it. The main issue is the radiator! There isn't anywhere decent in the bonnet with a decent airflow and the Abbot radiator seems a bit small and doesn't even have a fan which seems a bit strange?

2) Chipping the ECU - I have looked at the following guide http://www.900aero.com/ about doing this myself. But I cant find any chips online where you can do this. Nor do I have a clue about what chips to use or any implications of using incorrect chips or whether the whole ECU would need remapping.

3) Upgrading the gear primaries to type 8 or higher- less torque through the box, better accelerating as less shifts so I am told and obviously better for motorways.

Later things would be remapping, camshafts, etc. if I even get to that point.

Has anyone had any experience with fitting different charge cooler systems to Saab 900's? Any Tips?

What about higher gear primaries - what effect does this have on acceleration?