UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 aero wagon
Have been driving a Volvo V70 twin turbo 5cyl diesel which I bought for my drive to work down the motorway. That job has finished now and the wife has written off the engine in the Volvo when it hit a rock in the road that had fallen off a quarry wagon that ripped the sump out the car along with the oil obviously though she managed to continue for another few miles before it gave up the ghost with a seized engine. I toyed with the idea of a cabrio until the wife reminded me that we have 2 kids and two dogs and she has just downsized her car so an estate it has to be. I have previously had a 9-5 aero estate and also a 9-3 aero estate (2.0 litre remapped by Karl) and loved them both. They are good value for money too so I am in the market as soon as the insurance pay out. Having been away for a couple of years I am wondering between the 9-5, the 9-3 and the 2.8 version of the 9-3. I don't anticipate doing massive miles but need to be able to resell it when I am done so fuel consumption and the bigger car tax cost on later models anyway, makes me lean away from the 2.8. I always buy manual cars, don't get on with automatics. But I do like fast cars so if the 2.8 drove fantastic I could see an impulse buy happening! Anyway the point of my post is this: has much changed since I last had a Saab a couple of years ago? I am thinking availability/ price of remaps, parts availability, problems coming to light with the 2.8, and is there any difference between the 03 model 9-5s and the dame Edna ones that I would now be looking at? Budget will be up to £4k but will happily spend less!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:12 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Anything after March 23rd 2006 will attract high tax.
Very few manual 9-5 around.
New engines in 2004 for the 4 cylinder cars reduced the risk of sludge.

Floor of the 9-3 estate doesn't fold flat.
2.8 engine is very nice. The autos have the manual +/- tiptronic style box. Almost a manual.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 pm 
Active user

I just got some figures from Karl Noobtune which show a remapped ( stage 1) 2.0 has 250hp and 370nm of torque: this compares to a standard un-mapped 2.8( because mapping a 2.8 is expensive) which has 251hp and 340nm of torque so not a lot in it. I think given potentially higher road tax, higher fuel consumption and possibly being harder to sell this might swing it for me towards the 2.0 aero with a remap from Karl against a 9-5 aero. With a stage 1 they go to 275hp and 420nm of torque although I would imagine they weigh a bit more and may not put the power down as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:26 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3SS 2006 2.8 v6
steveyorks wrote:
I just got some figures from Karl Noobtune which show a remapped ( stage 1) 2.0 has 250hp and 370nm of torque: this compares to a standard un-mapped 2.8( because mapping a 2.8 is expensive) which has 251hp and 340nm of torque so not a lot in it. I think given potentially higher road tax, higher fuel consumption and possibly being harder to sell this might swing it for me towards the 2.0 aero with a remap from Karl against a 9-5 aero. With a stage 1 they go to 275hp and 420nm of torque although I would imagine they weigh a bit more and may not put the power down as well.

A stage 1 on the 2.8 is more like 300hp and 400lb/ft ... not NM.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 pm 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T
if you find a pre march 2006 2.8T, then road tax isn't that bad either.
Mine is 22 March 2006, a day or two before they introduced the higher tax, so gut lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 pm 
Active user

Deed is done! I have bought a 2008 9-5 aero. Two private owners, metallic grey, good spec and so on. I will drive it a few weeks and then book it in with Karl for a stage 1. Thanks to everyone who replied!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:56 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Well done! :)

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:04 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 DE Aero Maptun stage 3+
Good boy!

9000 Anni Abbott/Saabflight
C900i x 2
9000 Aero
TiD 93 SS x 2