UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:29 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
OK, this has been asked a few times before (I even asked it myself but a different way) but I still need help to decide finally before I buy.

First off, I don't particularly want to lower the car, as it's an Aero it is already slightly lower than standard and I don't drive it like I stole it anyhow, I like the performance but at 63 years old I generally prefer it in a straight line or at least on the motorway, so 'Sprint' performance is not paramount.

Secondly, I don't want to have my hips and back jarred every time I go over a pothole (one of the reasons I don't normally increase the wheel size too), I would like 'sporty' but not track performance from the suspension when it's needed and some comfort when its in a straight line.

Looking at all the options it seems like I have a few choices :

1. Eibach Pro-kit (lowering) springs and Bilstein B8 shockers (pretty much the 'stock answer' when you ask this question here)
2. Lesjofors Aero replacement (non-lowering) springs (available from PFS) and Bilstein shocks of some kind (B4, B6 or B8)
3. H&R (lowering) springs and Bilstein shocks of some kind (B4, B6 or B8)
4. Abbott Racing (lowering) springs + Bilstein shocks of some kind (B4, B6 or B8)
5. Any of the above springs + Sachs 'Aero' shocks (checked out the Sachs website and found Front 313-316 and Rear 312-708 against the 9-5 2.3T 'for sports suspension'

Given my preferences for non-lowering, it looks like the Lesjofors springs are the only option for me (unless anyone knows different), so it's down to the shocks now.

I understand that the Bilstein B8 shocks are the same as the B6 but shorter (for the lowering springs), so it looks as though the best options are either the Bilstein B6, or the Sachs. (I understand that the B4's are just not up to the job for a 'sports suspension' so they are probably not an option realistically).

If anyone has experience (or wisdom) regarding the less common combinations listed above I would be grateful to hear them (bearing in mind it should be on an Aero to be a good comparison).

I'm hoping that my questions will help others in the future as I am fairly sure that many here, like me, would prefer to have a balance between performance and comfort.

Cheers all
Mike

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:45 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Don't rule out the Eibachs. The springs are progressive and not as harsh as the standard Aero suspension. And the lowering is less than half an inch. The Hirsch suspension is virtually the same. When in good nick, I found that the car handles the same whether full or empty.

I'm a lot older than you and I like it. So does my wife! :)

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:04 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

sgould wrote:
Don't rule out the Eibachs. The springs are progressive and not as harsh as the standard Aero suspension. And the lowering is less than half an inch. The Hirsch suspension is virtually the same. When in good nick, I found that the car handles the same whether full or empty.

I'm a lot older than you and I like it. So does my wife! :)

Yeah I am coming to the conclusion slowly that they may be the only choice realistically, I missed the point previously that they only lower the ride height by about 10mm, that little I can live with I think. I would be a bit keener if they weren't costing £630+ but I guess you only get what you pay for and they should last at least as long as the rest of the car so price per year is acceptable.

I'm grateful to you for your insight into this combo as age is certainly a consideration I think, so if you and your wife are older and still like them then it should be good enough for me I think. I was almost there to be honest, I just needed a prod in the right direction - thanks

Mike

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Eibach and B8's is lovely in the 9-5 - not bone crunching and doesn't lower it that much. If all the bushes ok and that kit fitted it makes for a lovely ride and handling. Also enhanced by SAS bars but they are in very short supply now as no longer available from PFS. I am just over the 60 years landmark and find it fine unlike the 9000 which has similar and is a bit harsh for my taste now.

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 am 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 93 ttid
Eibach Pro with Bilstein B8 ( Bilstein B12 kit ).

The Eibach's are usually more comfortable , not always progressive springs as alot are linear , progressive is the marketing angle !

If E7808-140 is correct the fronts are linear and rears progressive .

The lowering will be subtle as aero is already lowered and Eibach always quote a nominal - 30mm from Standard suspension .

However with a more compliant ride possible choose the Sachs OE Sport ( aero ) probably Sachs Super Touring as Bilstein B4 only offer Standard .

Oh and don't forget to renew the top mounts .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Gazwould wrote:
Eibach Pro with Bilstein B8 ( Bilstein B12 kit ).

The Eibach's are usually more comfortable , not always progressive springs as alot are linear , progressive is the marketing angle !

If E7808-140 is correct the fronts are linear and rears progressive .

The lowering will be subtle as aero is already lowered and Eibach always quote a nominal - 30mm from Standard suspension .

However with a more compliant ride possible choose the Sachs OE Sport ( aero ) probably Sachs Super Touring as Bilstein B4 only offer Standard .

Oh and don't forget to renew the top mounts .

Thanks Gazwould, I went ahead and ordered the B12 kit in the end as it looks as though it could be OK for me after all. I ordered the strut mount thrust bearings - http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_in ... ts_id=2115 is that what you meant ??

Cheers
Mike

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

When you get the top bearings, add a bit more grease before fitting.

There are also the actual top mounts that are the bits that take the three bolts in the front wing. Don't skimp on price here. I got some "free" ones and they failed inside 500 miles. :(

A few other things when fitting. You need an 18mm socket for a lot of the bolts. I would also fit the Meyle HD drop links to the front. The drop links are disconnected anyway. http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_in ... ts_id=5324 You may find an impact wrench useful.

The rear springs are progressive, but when loaded, the top coils are designed to bind. They are plastic coated to deal with this.

Attachment:
DSC04874.jpg
DSC04874.jpg [ 114.88 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

And while you are under the rear with the suspension off, remove the arch liner and edge trim and deal with any rust. It's hiding behind there!! :o

Attachment:
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG [ 85.72 KiB | Viewed 635 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:39 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

sgould wrote:
When you get the top bearings, add a bit more grease before fitting.

There are also the actual top mounts that are the bits that take the three bolts in the front wing. Don't skimp on price here. I got some "free" ones and they failed inside 500 miles. :(

A few other things when fitting. You need an 18mm socket for a lot of the bolts. I would also fit the Meyle HD drop links to the front. The drop links are disconnected anyway. http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_in ... ts_id=5324 You may find an impact wrench useful.

The rear springs are progressive, but when loaded, the top coils are designed to bind. They are plastic coated to deal with this.

Attachment:
DSC04874.jpg

And while you are under the rear with the suspension off, remove the arch liner and edge trim and deal with any rust. It's hiding behind there!! :o

Attachment:
IMG_1301.JPG

Thanks for that, I didn't order the top mounts as I was not aware they were anything other than a metal plate (been a while since I dismantled the front struts on a 9-5), hopefully they will be OK as I want to get this done this weekend. I already replaced the drop links with the uprated ones and also the ball joints so it should be easy enough to get things undone for the struts (fingers crossed).

Yeah been there and done that on the rears, I replaced the entire rear sub-frame, rose bushes and all four transverse arms in the last 4-6 weeks and had to get the rear shocks and springs off for the MOT (both rear springs were broken !!) so I took the liners off and dealt with the rust then. Wasn't too bad but I gave it a good going over just the same.

One thing, where can I get some of that black gungy stuff that keeps the arch trims from falling off, I cleaned mine off and needless to say the arch trims won't stay on now.

Car is starting to feel like it will last for another 100,000 miles now that I have replaced most of the mechanicals !! and since it's only got 86K on it so should be good for that at least.

Cheers

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Quote:
One thing, where can I get some of that black gungy stuff that keeps the arch trims from falling off, I cleaned mine off and needless to say the arch trims won't stay on now.

You can still buy these from Saab supplier - I replaced mine of mine a year or so back.

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

My arch trims are distorted by tyre rubbing in the past. I did my best to straighten them up, but only succeeded in part. The only gungy stuff I had was some dark brown window frame sealant, so I used a blob or two of that!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:38 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

All done apart from the trim strips, I will get some black 'gungy' stuff to keep them on with ....

Must say I am delighted with there ride now, it is quiet !!! and handling is much better than before, I reckon most of my suspension was shot so a replacement with the B12 kit seems very logical now in hindsight.

Now I want to get those Hel brake lines on !!!

Cheers
:corn:

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:19 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 2009.5 9-5 2.3T TE St4 Auto
masonmjs wrote:
All done apart from the trim strips, I will get some black 'gungy' stuff to keep them on with ....

Must say I am delighted with there ride now, it is quiet !!! and handling is much better than before, I reckon most of my suspension was shot so a replacement with the B12 kit seems very logical now in hindsight.

Cheers

...with 314mm discs and calies ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:28 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

eucalyptus9000 wrote:
masonmjs wrote:

Cheers

...with 314mm discs and calies ;-)

Whatsit, where do I get em, do they come in red :P seriously though, where do the 314mm discs and calipers come from, mine is a 2002 Aero were these fitted to later Aeros ??

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:33 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

This is one for the 9-3. There must be something similar, it's only the carrier brackets that are different, if that.