UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:10 pm 

Car Models: B204 Powered Capri Project Car
Advice/thoughts needed please.......
I purchased a 1999 9-3 B204 manual with 12 months mot as a donor car, my first Saab, ran fine so upgraded to 3" downpipe, lost the cat, Viggen clutch (future proofing as it needed doing) and fitted the T7 APC, ecu uploaded with suitable map, had the VSS and security removed as plans are to use in a RWD chassis, that was 14 months ago (6 month Covid mot extension) and I have loved driving it.

Got the bug now so would like to upgrade, I picked up a Chinese GT3076 and some 630cc Chinese injectors from a stalled project but after reading parts of the Trionic 5 pdf i am worried I am trying to run before I can walk and it is probably too big for road use? Thinking the TD04/19T might be more sensible?

Would fit the new parts and get it running in the 9-3 before removing the whole lot and converting to RWD, I have a tatty but solid Capri rolling shell that has been butchered in the past so is an ideal recipient of the drive train, it would be second car/weekend toy, probably 1000 odd miles a year and very rarely see a motorway.

Pretty sure i have amassed all the other parts required for RWD, will list them once a decision is made on the turbo so any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:01 am 
Blue-Red-Blue

Car Models: JZW stage 5 9³ v6 Aero
I wouldn’t again, way too laggy and that was the 2.3 Aero. I found the gt28rs much more fun and tbh even quicker sub 90, the 76 was a monster above a ton though just kept pulling & pulling. You need to change a fair bit to fit it though.

I’d go for the 19t, bolt on, cheap upgrade vs changing everything for the gt30 and well proven set up. Fillathome’s old black pig (may it finally rest in peace!!) with the 19t felt just as quick as mine with the 28 fitted.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:02 am 
Blue-Red-Blue

Or Hybrid TD04....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:00 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Ditch the Chinese injectors, they won't flow right and the spray pattern will be rubbish.
It will make for a pig to map and it won't idle right or have good road manners.

I think 300-350bhp from a hybrid td-04 or a gt28 (especially if gen 2) will be more than plenty in a capri.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 am 

Thanks for the reply, yes my initial uneducated thoughts were if some was good then lots must be better :loco:
Constantly reading old threads and it seems the Chinese injectors are a no-no too, seems like i may have purchased some ornaments! :roll:

Would this be a better start?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TD04HL-19T-S ... SwNSxVFDEa

This one must be better as it comes from Sweden :wink:

Has anyone run a Chinese turbo for any amount of miles? How do they hold up? Guess it will be a bit hit and miss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:15 am 

McVities, Thank you, confirmed, injectors are bin fodder!

Hybrid turbos? I will have to read up on them as i have no knowledge, is there a newbie guide to them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:25 am 
Blue-Red-Blue

Been out of the tuning scene for a few years now but the one to get was from Saabflight and quite a few had the turbo technics one.

Best to trawl through the project threads when you get a spare hour, there’s been loads done now.

Also on the 630’s mine never ran 100% on these, had genuine dekkas but always had issues on cold start and sometimes had a hunting idle after a long run, never had a problem with Green Giants, might be another option if you go for the td04.

I definitely would have a good think before going big turbo, they are fun when you first get them, but it soon wares off. Lots have had success with the gt3071r though, no where near as laggy as the 76.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:42 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Paul100e wrote:
Has anyone run a Chinese turbo for any amount of miles? How do they hold up? Guess it will be a bit hit and miss

I believe filathome on here has done that. He performed some modification (replaced the thrust bearing, I think?), which he reckoned made a big improvement to reliablity.

Bear in mind that any shortcomings with running a huge turbo on a 2.3 litre engine, which a good few people on UK Saabs have done over the years, will be amplified on a 2.0 litre engine.
For a Capri, the rest of the car will probably weigh less than the drivetrain (I'm exaggerating a bit :wink: ) and a few hundred BHP will make it go like a scalded cat. As long as it isn't bogging down between gears, of course, and losing the benefit of all that lovely low-down torque.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:45 pm 
T5 Cartographer

Car Models: '59 2.8 XWD '55 Diesel SW
John in Wales had a GT3076 and it was mental (I mapped it live as it goes). Couldn't get a reliable dyno reading because it was wheel spinning on the dyno at around 440Ft-lb. He was fine with the really high torque band, which was helped with a 7K rev limit - at least he could get into the boost range on the next gear before shifting). He did that on standard valve springs, which, when the head was off showed (albeit minor) impact damage on the valves and piston. There was a quality video up on here back in the day with that car munching a 911 Turbo S over a quarter mile drag.

Whether I would want one or not I'm not sure. I found the Turbo Technics hybrid a nice compromise. But it was 100BHP lower! Either way top end revs is where the B204 is at - 7k rev limit, lightened flywheel, balance shaft delete, and a turbo that helps you use the reviness and top end of that engine is good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:57 pm 
China Charger

Car Models: 2020 Leon Cupra S1
Griffin Dai wrote:
I wouldn’t again, way too laggy and that was the 2.3 Aero. I found the gt28rs much more fun and tbh even quicker sub 90, the 76 was a monster above a ton though just kept pulling & pulling. You need to change a fair bit to fit it though.

I’d go for the 19t, bolt on, cheap upgrade vs changing everything for the gt30 and well proven set up. Fillathome’s old black pig (may it finally rest in peace!!) with the 19t felt just as quick as mine with the 28 fitted.

The black pig, takes me back that. Served me well. It was the driver that made the difference Dave :D Hope you're well pal.

98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:49 pm 

Thanks all, will spend the next few days looking through some previous threads and hopefully make a decision

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: og93 RWD trackcar + 93aeroxwd
Had a gt3071 on my 2.3, made 484 bhp and 483lb ft torque. Traction was biggest problem. Car could start spinning wheels at 70mph in the dry when it came on boost. That's was with a quaife LSD as well

9-3 Aero V6 XWD 2009 310Bhp / 470nm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:20 pm 
Blue-Red-Blue

filathome wrote:

The black pig, takes me back that. Served me well. It was the driver that made the difference Dave :D Hope you're well pal.

All good brutha :wink:

Found a V6 I finally want but it’s miles away & with this covid & work getting in the way not looking likely I’ll get it (plus the little one started school this week so getting a new cars been pushed down the to do list!) :roll: :wall:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:30 pm 

Thanks for all the responses, i will take the advice and go with something smaller, thinking td04-19t still reading up on the hybrid bit as i dont fully understand at the moment,
Would be interested if anyone has something they would like to sell,
Cheers,
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9000 Aero
The 2 hybrids I've done were based on a standard genuine 15T core. Chinese compressor housing (one 18T and the other 19T) and billet 9 blade compressor wheel, one had a standard (9000 Aero) turbine housing and the other a chinese 7cm housing. All parts sent to Hugh at AirBearings in Dorset who assembled with new bearings/seals and balanced for me. The first one has done about 60k now , 2nd hasn't been fitted yet (and it's not for sale, sorry).
In effect, you should end up with a hybrid that has the same reliability as a standard Mitsubishi unit but with more flow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:06 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
I ran a Chinese GT17 (standard B205E). It was fine once i'd changed the wastegate actuator to something with a spring that moved, and changed the compressor housing to one that actually fitted on the B205E.

Ran for years without a problem.

But the big problem with Chinese copies is the variation from part to part. I obviously had a good one. Doesn't mean that any other will be good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:28 pm 
UKS Addict

I've driven 9000's with GT30's on, only on track, and while it gets your adrenaline going it would be horrible on the road. Very narrow power spread (compared to a smaller turbo) , very easy to drop out of the power 'zone' especially if you have a 'long' gearbox and you'd need to do work to raise the rev limit. I honestly think that on A roads etc a well set up 19T or 28 frame turbo would be as quick, if not quicker especially in a fwd with the traction issues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm 
Blue-Red-Blue

Nelliem wrote:
I've driven 9000's with GT30's on, only on track, and while it gets your adrenaline going it would be horrible on the road. Very narrow power spread (compared to a smaller turbo) , very easy to drop out of the power 'zone' especially if you have a 'long' gearbox and you'd need to do work to raise the rev limit. I honestly think that on A roads etc a well set up 19T or 28 frame turbo would be as quick, if not quicker especially in a fwd with the traction issues.

Yep, just too laggy, brutal above 80, just kept pulling & pulling but day to day the 19t/hybrids etc would leave it. Had more fun with the 28RS fitted...even more fun with the 4.45 box on there but that’s for another thread!

This was mine 3rd gear pull 60-100, foots welded to the floor here and it didn’t really get going till 70+ the only way to drive that car fast was keep in in 2nd but then it was too quick to drive safely.

Turn the volume down as the sounds dreadful!!

https://youtu.be/NYf_VMXJhGo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Mines 19T with a 4.45 and I love it :park:
Motorway is horrible but I'm having a box built with a longer 5th so best of both worlds :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 pm 

beardydave wrote:
But the big problem with Chinese copies is the variation from part to part. I obviously had a good one. Doesn't mean that any other will be good.

Yes, I am guessing it will be hit and miss, could last 500 or 5000 miles.....

Nelliem wrote:
The 2 hybrids I've done were based on a standard genuine 15T core. Chinese compressor housing (one 18T and the other 19T) and billet 9 blade compressor wheel, one had a standard (9000 Aero) turbine housing and the other a chinese 7cm housing. All parts sent to Hugh at AirBearings in Dorset who assembled with new bearings/seals and balanced for me. The first one has done about 60k now , 2nd hasn't been fitted yet (and it's not for sale, sorry).
In effect, you should end up with a hybrid that has the same reliability as a standard Mitsubishi unit but with more flow.

Thats interesting, am i understanding correctly? If i purchased a Chinese TD04-19T to give it a try and in the meantime source a genuine TD04-15T core, then if it all goes wrong i could combine the parts, send them off for reconditioning to make a decent unit? Does that sound like a plan!?

Thanks again to all for your input, it is much appreciated